AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-09-02, 11:55   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually.. this is just hilarious. Has me wondering why they even bothered and didn't just run a pack of rips. The quality of the knockoffs is meh
Old 2009-09-02, 12:00   Link #22
Marisa Kirisame
Previously cicido

I just want to say, not only are the Chinese anime fans outraged over this, they are absolutely ashamed of the out-right plagiarism. They are very, very sorry that Mr.Shinkai's hard work have been ripped off.
Marisa Kirisame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 14:13   Link #23
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithfalath View Post
This is downright absurd... How cruel.. Now I hate China...
Of all the reasons to hate China... I think this is kinda low on the priority list.

Plus that's kind of a lot of people to hate. But I suppose it's just best to limit it to plagiarists and the government.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 14:31   Link #24
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Chinese Cartoon/Anime industry is peice of crap (I am Chinese)
all the creative stories were in 70-80s..
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 14:41   Link #25
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
all the creative stories were in 70-80s..

To tell the truth, this might be applicable in some form to Japan, Korea, and USA as well. If so, then this might not be a mere coincidence.
Old 2009-09-02, 15:12   Link #26
Theowne
耳をすませば

Maybe I missed an explanation, but what is this exactly? Is it an "original" animation production by a Chinese company that has these plagiarized scenes? Is it a production which literally plagiarize the entire story/characters as well?

Quote:
I'm just saying all poor nations do it
Well, these animation companies clearly are not running from the 70-80% of China which is poor and underdeveloped, they're running from the more prosperous urban areas which have high living standards and seem to want to be known as international cities. And these prosperous areas are practically populous enough to be a country on their own.......but that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Princess View Post
Unless your house is "China free" then it's pointless to try to against it.
While I don't "hate" China (I'm going to do some more thinking before reaching such a conclusion on 1 billion people based on one animation company plagiarizing), I don't quite agree with this "you can't hate China, half your house was made there" type of argument. The reason that most goods made in North America are manufactured in China are because of companies who prefer cheaper labor by outsourcing there. While you could say that the public as a whole is responsible for desiring cheaper products, I don't think people are individually responsible, and having negative opinions of China while buying China-made goods, which are impossible to avoid these days, doesn't seem like a contradiction.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 16:31   Link #27
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
This case is definitely a case of almost 1:1 copy but when you look at a series like gundam seed and first season of code geass, their are many local, situations reused in both series yet I don't remember people claiming plagarism when in fact using a trope or cliche could be considered a copy of an idea.
Well, Gundam and Code Geass are both Sunrise shows so you can't really call it plagiarism, more like over-user of their assets if you're picky.
Old 2009-09-02, 18:00   Link #28
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

funny thing is no one even watch these shows in China
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 22:33   Link #29
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithfalath View Post
This is downright absurd... How cruel.. Now I hate China...
Yeah China is a terrible country! They should be hated and looked down by everyone for plagiarizing that was done by a some Chinese studio that has nothing to do with China or Chinese. Not like those Japanese, they never plagiarize stuff from other countries.

Anyhow I suppose the first step in doing anything is plagiarizing or copying the ones that are the best in that industry. Hopefully China will be able to develop further in the industry and stop plagiarizing in the future.

And this does remind me of Korean copying characters and robot designs from Japan.
Old 2009-09-02, 22:42   Link #30
Mithfalath
Elegiac Servant

Send a message via Yahoo to Mithfalath
What's the point of doing that anyway? Copying movie ideas, I mean. I don't get it really. Please enlighten me. Don't scriptwriters and movie"makers" enjoy presenting their ideas in their own ways so they will be praised for something that is truly theirs? Well, just my $0.02. As a writer myself, I wouldn't even continue writing something that has been done before. (Unless perhaps the scenes are the only ones the same and the story/plot not).

And for that hating China thing, it was something like I got carried away LOL. Yea I know some things are being plagiarized, and is completely understandable (e.g. the price of your gadgets considering the rural areas in the east that comprises a considerable fraction of the population and what nots), but in movies?? Nah... It's beyond my comprehension...
Old 2009-09-02, 22:44   Link #31
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Maybe I missed an explanation, but what is this exactly? Is it an "original" animation production by a Chinese company that has these plagiarized scenes? Is it a production which literally plagiarize the entire story/characters as well?
Probably not, from me and my knowledge of reading the Chinese subtle. But it may be about romance though(About the 5CM duplicate.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually.. this is just hilarious.
Yep. Although I do have pride in my country.
Old 2009-09-02, 22:52   Link #32
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

It would be kinda funny if a japanese fansub group were to release a torrent out of this.
Old 2009-09-02, 23:25   Link #33
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I actually feel this event hilarious as well.... Unless the one who hold license for "5 cm per second" feel offense with the copy, i don't think it's so bad after all.

The guy in charge obviously an anime fan. Some screens were too similar to have a chance to bypass our eyes, so it maybe even intentional. And there: we have Japanese animation in a "a program produced for the youth of China, and animation to raise wholesome minds and teach a noble view of life".... These kind of events may reduce the tension among these two nations xD
Old 2009-09-02, 23:28   Link #34
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Yeah China is a terrible country! They should be hated and looked down by everyone for plagiarizing that was done by a some Chinese studio that has nothing to do with China or Chinese. Not like those Japanese, they never plagiarize stuff from other countries.

Anyhow I suppose the first step in doing anything is plagiarizing or copying the ones that are the best in that industry. Hopefully China will be able to develop further in the industry and stop plagiarizing in the future.

And this does remind me of Korean copying characters and robot designs from Japan.
You will be amazed how many times Japan plagiarized things from Korea, without giving credits. For instance, Character design and some of clothing design of Five Star Stories is a total rip off of a manwha artist's work from early 1980s. Here is a link that shows some of her work starting from 1980, 6 year before Five Star Storyies

http://lambiek.net/artists/h/hwang-mi-na.htm
Old 2009-09-02, 23:55   Link #35
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
... you should read your history books more often. Or give a watch to back in the future.

It is not until recently that Japan started to be considered a innovative and creative nation. Up till the 80's they used the same model as China.
Well, okay, my history isn't that great. ^^;; Still, I don't think it compares at all with the censorship and suppression of new ideas imposed by the Chinese government. And also a lot to do with the fact that most Chinese citizens aren't as financially well-off as the average citizen in the rest of the developed world.

I mean, I see lots of counterexamples in here of plagiarism going in the other direction, but I don't think that's the issue because it's people who plagiarize, not cultures themselves. It's just that some nations may be in a financial situation where lots of people resort to bootlegging as a cheap way to make money.
Old 2009-09-02, 23:55   Link #36
Kyuu
=^^=

China... let's see.

Chinese media... China hasn't been culturally relevant for a long long time. Kung Fu movies. The only thing they can make that's distinctly Chinese and known internationally.

Otherwise, they simply make bootlegs and knock offs of products made elsewhere -- including anime and software.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 00:00   Link #37
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyuuA4 View Post
Chinese media... China hasn't been culturally relevant for a long long time. Kung Fu movies. The only thing they can make that's distinctly Chinese and known internationally.
Tell that to half of Asia, or say it in Chinatowns all across the USA, or Japanese fantasy authors who work with Chinese themes, or innovative manhua authors, or all those who worked in countless Three Kingdoms spinoffs, or...
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 00:27   Link #38
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Oh, jeez, if some people weren't hiding their opinions so well, I would have thought that those people had irrational cultural racism against China and illogically found Japan to be some sort of Holy Nation revered without fault...

It's a good thing that's not the case!

Like one anecdotal incident speaks as a trend where both sides are guilty of both unfair plagiarism and fair inspiration...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 00:31   Link #39
Theowne
耳をすませば

Alright, alright, we don't need this to turn into some kind of China-bashing thread. Every country has issues, let's say this is a less admirable story coming from China and leave it at that.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 01:06   Link #40
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
*face palms*

ok now,
maybe a group of chinese otakus are probaly creating a riot protests in front of the said studio right now while shouting "stop ripping off!!"

but NOT all chinese animation studios are one of those "bootleg Iphone" factories that makes "Niki" versions of the Nike shoes,

some of them did make high quality ORIGINAL animation styles that had yet to be seen

why didn't they cooperate with the said Japanese studios instead? as like with the other country's studios like Korea, France, & Russia?

well currently, most of today's shows are a cooperation between korean & japanese
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote