AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 48 36.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 34.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 21.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.52%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-27, 23:23   Link #61
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Personally I think the show is being too obvious in its use of 'subtle' hints. Anyone with more than 1 year of experience with anime can pick them up without trouble. I really hope the show has several layers of trolling story twists or this show will go down as the most not so obvious obvious storyline in history.
Yea thats true but lets just play along for the sake of the few who are not a experienced as us veterans.

Now going back to the episode I don't know what else to say that hasn't already been commented on but one thing is clear I really wish this story was a little longer because based on what Homura said this episode it would appear that this little war has been going on for a long time. It would've been interesting to hear other MG's share their stories and experiences.

I would imagine that how young girls becoming a MG is sort of like how most young people says join a military not because they have to but more so because of idealistic dreams of glory and honor.
Old 2011-01-27, 23:26   Link #62
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
My biggest complaint here is that neither girl asked if a wish could bring back the dead. It would seem to be an obvious thing to ask. Granted, they are both depressed, but it has to come up sooner or later. By not addressing it, it becomes a big ole elephant in the room, leaving them an out later to bring back Mami.

The big thing is, we don't know what limits there are on the wish, if any. We clearly know that it can save someone who is dying... but what if you could wish to end the system? Wish for all witches to go back to normal, and/or for witches to never be created nor exist within their world ever again? Wish that there was never a need for someone to become a magical girl?

To me, that's the biggest beef with this series, and it's what throws all this speculation into near pointlessness. As opposed to a series like Mai HiME, the idea that everyone can come back is right there in our faces.
Bringing back Mami is not going to help because they will still fight till death again and again. I'd say that wish was not the problem any more. They (at that time) were too fear to get involve in this MG business. About the limitation of wish, I think that it will be revealed later.
Old 2011-01-27, 23:39   Link #63
Dark Wing

Thats very bring back Mami most likely wouldn't have helped the girls situation at all. I'm sure she will be missed greatly but how many people can really say they are willing to forfeit their life and freedom for a person they barely knew.
Old 2011-01-27, 23:48   Link #64
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

So, all signs point to Sayaka being the next to die, more than likely. Or, she'll be used to show us how witches are created, if the prevalent idea that witches are magical girls ends up being true. Either way, it's a bleak future for her.

It was kind of funny hearing her crush yell at her. I was thinking the same thing an episode or two back, about how awful it would be to be constantly reminded of something I could never do again. I wonder if we'll get more background to that accident. Her devotion to him screams that the accident was her fault in some way.

Anyways, everything is so coincidental. The problem, of course, is that stories work that way. It's called plot device. So, it's hard to say if we're supposed to have flags being raised at all the coincidence or not. For now, I am thinking we should. These witch events are happening around/to people close to them, and to think just a few days ago, they'd never experienced any! Which begs the question: Is Kyubey playing both sides? At the very least, I don't think for one second he really cares about killing witches. They're just incidental pieces in whatever game he's really involved in, in my opinion.

What was real interesting was his conversation with the new girl at the end of the episode. Especially the part where she asks Kyubey "what the hell is going on, seems like the story has changed". I don't speak Japanese, so I have to take subs at face value, but that line sure makes it seem like something is being planned/played out, and Mami's death was not part of that plan.

The other interesting tidbit from that conversation was that the new girl had absolutely no qualms about telling Kyubey she plans on defeating Sayaka. If we accept that Kyubey couldn't care less about the wellbeing of the magical girls, then this makes sense. Who's going to bet on him warning Sayaka? ;p Furthermore, it helps to affirm speculation that Homura is also contracted to Kyubey; that there is just him bringing torment to little girls everywhere, and that there aren't other little freaky-smile-rabbits bouncing around.

(And lest it hasn't already been pointed out, I think it's obvious Kyubey can be hurt, but not killed-at least by Magical Girls. If Homura had really intended to kill Kyubey, she'd have kept trying, even after he made contact with Madoka. That she stopped, after contact was made, just affirms that her intent had been to keep him busy and away from Madoka. Once contact was made, there was no point anymore.)

Lastly, whether it's the time loop or whatever other similar theory, they were given some ammunition in Homura's clenched fists in her reaction to Madoka telling her she'd never forget her.

Edit: Oh, anyone else wondering if Magical Girls even age? Homura made it sound like she'd seen A LOT of other Magical Girls die, but since they seem to operate as loners, it seems to insinuate she's been at this for a very long time.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 23:54   Link #65
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
Bringing back Mami is not going to help because they will still fight till death again and again. I'd say that wish was not the problem any more. They (at that time) were too fear to get involve in this MG business. About the limitation of wish, I think that it will be revealed later.
A bit morose, wouldn't you say? Whose to say they'd fight to the death? And we all die sometime. Bringing her back would allow her to live a life with an actual friend and comrade, and perhaps the two of them(or three with Sayaka), working together, could live a long and fulfilling life.

Plus, the limitations of the wish still weren't shown. Thus, one could easily wish that all witches would be gone forever, thus no one would have to fight and die. As long as that idea is holding over the entire show, it means everything else is a farce. The whole plot can be solved in a minute.

I don't mean that it's actually possible, but the idea should be brought up. Otherwise, all we've got is false drama from characters who are too stupid to live.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 00:06   Link #66
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Acha-... Blue... RIP, Blue... I'd be surprised if you lived pass the next episode or two...
And when you die, it will convince Madoka to become a mahou shoujo, and then she will kill the Red that killed the Blue.
And then Q-Be will be so "KEIKAKU DOORI" on us.

Speaking of Q-Be, damn, he makes me laugh with his incredibly obvious "I'm the mastermind" aura and look. I think it is supposed to be scary though.
(Then again, that's something that can't be considering the character designs, sadly)
Also, it helped(?) that Green was acting so... But still, if so many killed themselves, I'd think it would make the news though. Clearly, stands out too much. If these witches were making all of these people commit suicide, I'm surprised it hasn't made the news or notes by people.
(Q-Be: Because its an anime!
Me: Heh~)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 00:26   Link #67
zato_1one

^
^
^
It may already on the news. But people don't know what's the cause like many mysterious/fake UFO news we have seen so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
A bit morose, wouldn't you say? Whose to say they'd fight to the death? And we all die sometime. Bringing her back would allow her to live a life with an actual friend and comrade, and perhaps the two of them(or three with Sayaka), working together, could live a long and fulfilling life.

Plus, the limitations of the wish still weren't shown. Thus, one could easily wish that all witches would be gone forever, thus no one would have to fight and die. As long as that idea is holding over the entire show, it means everything else is a farce. The whole plot can be solved in a minute.

I don't mean that it's actually possible, but the idea should be brought up. Otherwise, all we've got is false drama from characters who are too stupid to live.
Nah, I don't have any temper. Just a bit sleepy. They may not need to fight to death but Mami is already dead in episode 3. MG career is not something to be trifled with. I doubt that they can always fight together. It looks like each MG has her own territory. And we also don't exactly know about the impact if MG can't find grief seed to fill their soul gem. Fighting with many MG definitely help but what if they can't find enough grief seed for entire team? We still don't know who creates this MG system and how it exactly works. And the most important, what is Kyuube? I understand your point. It's completely fine to get frustrate about it. But I personally believe that it's better to wait and see for now.
Old 2011-01-28, 00:26   Link #68
J the Drafter

I'm wondering if Madoka isn't just to afraid to wish Mami back to life and take on the cost of being a Puella Magi. Still, it's disappointing that the idea wasn't brought up.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 00:33   Link #69
hoarfrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
@Mentar:
Spoiler for On Madoka:

@zato_1one: I like the direction greatly as well.
An interesting thing to notice is that this character direction is very similar to a character from another piece of Urobuchi's work that is getting animated this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Speaking of Q-Be, damn, he makes me laugh with his incredibly obvious "I'm the mastermind" aura and look. I think it is supposed to be scary though.
(Then again, that's something that can't be considering the character designs, sadly)
Seriously? When I contemplate what a little devil he might be, I find him absolutely terrifying. Wherever there is a person in a desperate situation, some expressionless stuffed animal is there, watching over them, plotting. Sends shivers down my spine.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 00:41   Link #70
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by J the Drafter View Post
I'm wondering if Madoka isn't just to afraid to wish Mami back to life and take on the cost of being a Puella Magi. Still, it's disappointing that the idea wasn't brought up.
That's pretty much it,before you start thinking about what you're going to wish for you have to want to make a wish in the first place,and Madoka doesn't want to.

And at the start of the episode Sayaka said she was about to learn the heavy price to pay for miracles,once they know that,wishing Mami back to life just won't be worth the price

Quote:
and perhaps the two of them(or three with Sayaka), working together, could live a long and fulfilling life.
I know we havn't seen many Mahou Shoujos in the show,but considering we havn't seen an adult one it makes me doubt any of them live past their teenage years.
Old 2011-01-28, 00:47   Link #71
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
Seriously? When I contemplate what a little devil he might be, I find him absolutely terrifying. Wherever there is a person in a desperate situation, some expressionless stuffed animal is there, watching over them, plotting. Sends shivers down my spine.
I have seen the face of evil and it's name is...Kyuube...
Old 2011-01-28, 01:16   Link #72
Jimmy C

Kyubei didn't bring in Kyouko directly. It's like the death of the local magical girl guardian sent up a signal, and now the opportunistic vultures are circling in, with Kyouko being the only one to arrive before Sayaka contracted.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 01:19   Link #73
subazoke

one thing for certain....

each episode will have some dudes in orange suit rope down from ceiling and give you..
MORNING RESCUE!
subazoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 01:19   Link #74
scr
my sides are in orbit

@Jimmy C
so there are magical girl turf wars somewhere else? Spin-offs time!
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 01:39   Link #75
Jimmy C

@scr, it's possible. But consider, knocking off another magical girl is a net loss on your Soul Gem's brightness. You expend magic, but don't gain a Grief Seed to cleanse your Gem. It wouldn't be surprising if most girls already have a turf and don't consider it worthwhile to off another magical girl to gain her turf.
Two other things I note about this episode.
First, Homura says, "We all fight for our wish." This supports my speculation that the magical girls have to keep fighting to keep their wishes in force.
Second, Hamura admits she's seen too many deaths to count anymore. But I don't hear Madoka refer to Mami by name as GG translated it. So I can't be certain if they mean magical girl deaths. If they do, you have to wonder about the life expentancy of a magical, months? Weeks? Days??

Oh yeah, what's the name of this episode's witch?
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 02:40   Link #76
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Spoiler for stay away if you haven't watched ep4 yet:
I'm right there hoping with you on this happening... because this show would be nothing but a complete downer if there wasn't some light at the end of the tunnel.
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 02:40   Link #77
Kagayaki

I'm assuming that soul gems dim on their own (perhaps magic decays or you use it constantly to maintain your wish or something), otherwise it would be a viable strategy to take your wish, hide, and never use magic. If that's the case, having more territory might make you safer, since you don't have to worry as much about not having enough witches to fight. Capturing a weaker girl's territory would be a sort of investment, where you expend magic now to get more chances to get grief seeds in the future.
Old 2011-01-28, 03:20   Link #78
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Spoiler for Theory:
Spoiler for My thoughts:
Old 2011-01-28, 03:59   Link #79
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Yep, 100% on target. And one thing more:

Spoiler for stay away if you haven't watched ep4 yet:
man, i'm really liking this theory. i actually want to share it in another site.. XDD oh, i will...XD it's ok right?
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 04:39   Link #80
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Reviewed episode here;
http://animapple.blogspot.com/2011/0...ka-magica.html

Additional thoughts with some speculations:
I think it goes like this;
*Homura does not want to make any more mahou shoujo who will suffer
*Mami was lonely being mahou shoujo, thus she wanted more mahou shoujo who can support her.

Either way, being 'Mahou Shoujo' pretty much means 'throwing everything you had'. At this time, I really wonder what would've been Homura's wish. For instance, she seems to know about Madoka a lot, even though Madoka has never seen her. Homura was being extremely sarcastic about Madoka's 'I will remember you!' claim, which wonders me whether if memory madoka has is actually true. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure Homura knows either Madoka's past or about future, and her wish might be related to these. Or even maybe...
Spoiler:

Now, we can see Sayaka vs Kyoko rivalry forming. This red hair girl has almost same evilness vibe as Kyuube, only difference is that Kyuube is pro of double speak when she is more direct. Something along the line of 'living witches egg next to Kamijou' is not impossible.

Kyuube's just... eh. I'm seeing some pixiv pics with humanoid moe-version kyuube, which disgusts me to extent. I never want to see Kyuube in 'MOE' version. He is too devilish for it.