AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-07-23, 21:03   Link #21
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I think I've given up trying to do fansubs on a tablet. I'm probably going to get the new Nexus 7 due out very soon, even though iPads have better app support and game support. The Nexus 7 is better than an iPad mini in some other ways.

However, you say it would be better to read manga on an iPad mini. A tablet might get me to read manga more. Is a Nexus 7 still adequate for reading manga, despite an iPad being superior for that, or would I just be better off reading manga on a PC? Is it still enjoyable on a Nexus 7?
I don't know anything about the software side, of things, I was speaking purely hardware.

An iPad mini's 7.85 inch, 4:3 screen is around 4.71X6.28 held in portrait mode, a Nexus 7 is around 3.71X5.94. Japanese manga are typically printed on 5.04x7.17 paper, sometimes 5.83X8.2 (American publishers use 5x7.5 but I figure that's unlikely to feature in scanlations much).

Basically, on an iPad mini you'll be scaling to 87.6% of the original size to fit the screen, on the Nexus 7 you have to scale to 73.6%. For the larger standard, 76.6 v 63.6. I'll leave those with experience to comment on what impact the scaling has on readability.

The Nexus 7's screen is superior in terms of resolution and readability in sunlight. Just not size.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 22:08   Link #22
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I will watch CR via wifi.

Someone told me that the Android app only goes up to 360p. Is that true? Or on a Nexus 7, can I actually watch CR in 720p? If I can watch CR in 720p on a Nexus 7, that is great, but if that person is right and it only goes up to 360p, that is a deal breaker for me. I probably might not even get a tablet if the Nexus 7 and iPad mini don't do HD video from CR.
Old 2013-07-23, 23:29   Link #23
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I know that CR's Android app was only 360P at launch, but I was under the impression that this wasn't the cause... certainly NorthernFallout's post suggested to me it isn't. Might want to follow up with him on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I can watch 720p fansubs on my Galaxy S3 Android smartphone. Even the standard player had no problem with a couple of episodes of Hyouge Mono encoded with the standard H.264+AAC+ASS combination.
Is the standard player provided by Samsung or Google?

I'd expect fansubs from groups that are fairly conservative in their encoding and subtitling to work fine. It's when the subbers start adding in Hi10P, or encode H.264 with certain settings (you can break GPU assisted decoding on some PCs doing this), or add visual effects in the subs like OP/ED karaoke or painting over a Japanese sign with an English sign styled to match using the subtitle renderer (I'm not making this scenario up, it's been done) that I'd start to worry about compatibility.

Quote:
I don't recall whether I've ever watched anything over 4G though.
If it's LTE, I'd worry more about your data cap/overages than whether has enough speed to work.

(In Canada, the major carriers charge $35 for 5GB data on a tablet - enough for only 16 CR episodes in 720P. And their smartphone/hotspot plans are much, much worse. Budget carriers can be somewhat better but surprisingly few people use them for various reasons.)

Old 2013-07-24, 02:02   Link #24
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Regarding the CR app, I was probably wrong. It's most likely 360p if they say so, but I found the quality to be nice anyway. Sorry about that.

Then again, I'm not very picky about it when it comes to streaming.

EDIT: After some reading, I think non-premium members are locked to 360p, but if you're a premium user, it's 480p to 720p. Link

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 02:15   Link #25
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Found a thread about it on CR's site. If the info there is correct:
-Both android and iOS apps are locked to 480P (and probably 360P if you don't have an account *edit*: I'm not completely sure about 480P on Android though I suspect it is now, see discussion below.).
-720P and above can still be access via a flash equipped browser (available on Android and Windows RT/8 as far as I can tell but not iOS). Not sure what performance is like since flash is a big of a CPU hog, battery life also probably takes a hit.

source:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopi...p-stream-in-hd

Edit:
A couple more notes on the Android app res:
-I have only heard one person say that the Android app streams 480P.
-However, I have not heard anyone say the app is 360P recently.
-The original 360P on Android v. 480P on iOS decision was based on Android not supporting secured HTML 5 streams at the time - an issue for content providers. As far as I am aware, this reason should have disappeared with Android 4.0.

So it's very possible that one poster is correct because the Android app is now 480P and it's just not something that appears to have been discussed much.

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2013-07-24 at 02:28.
Old 2013-07-24, 12:05   Link #26
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

After today's announcement by Google, I wouldn't do anything for a few weeks:

http://reviews.cnet.com/google-nexus-7/

This device will sell for $229-269 in the wifi-only version. A 4G LTE version is due out shortly.

Yesterday's earning report from Apple showed a big spurt in iPhone sales but disappointing sales for the iPad. Even the growth in iPhone sales has some analysts unimpressed because they think it represents expanded sales of the cheaper models like the 4.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 19:17   Link #27
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Yeah, I'm waiting for the newer Nexus 7. It hits very soon. I'll probably get the 32 GB model. I probably won't get the 4G model. I won't use it enough to justify the price increase.

I appreciate you guys helping out with trying to figure out resolutions on the Android CR app. I think what I'll do is email someone at the CR site. I'll contact a staff member and inquire about the Android app on tablets like the Nexus 7.
Old 2013-07-27, 16:33   Link #28
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Anandtech has a mini review (by Anandtech standards) up for the new Nexus 7:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7176/n...13-mini-review

Display quality and performance both seem to be great.

Old 2013-07-28, 14:59   Link #29
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Edit: iPads don't do widescreen video well, but iPad minis have widescreens, right? So they could do widescreen video perfectly, correct? Also, does anyone know how well iPad minis play 720p videos from Crunchyroll? I think I'm gonna pick between a Nexus 7 or an iPad mini. While the best app store and iOS gaming aren't my top priorities for picking a tablet, they sure are sweet extras. I can get a 32 GB Nexus 7 off of Amazon for $190 and a 16 GB iPad mini for $340.
The iPad does widescreen just fine, it letterboxes. Just get a black iPad instead of a white one and you'll barely notice where the screen starts or stops, and letterboxing fades perfectly to that.

The "2013 Nexus 7" looks very nice. If I weren't already tied into Apple's systems I'd probably find it to be very compelling. The updated iPad Mini is rumored to be released some time this autumn or in the winter of 2014; I hope that the new Nexus 7 pressures Apple to get more aggressive with the Mini.

Unless you really like the smaller form factor, why are you limiting yourself to the smaller tablets? An iPad 3 would likely do everything that you're asking. When the iPad 5 is released this fall it will push the iPad 3 and iPad 4 prices down even farther. I don't know how the iPad 3 and 4 Android tablet-equivalents fared, but there's another consideration. High pixel density display or not, a larger screen size is nicer for reading and video viewing.

I haven't used Crunchyroll in years, but if you want to know how an iPad Mini or iPad 3 fares with higher-resolution streams just let me know.
Old 2013-07-28, 15:03   Link #30
spikexp

If you are not already stuck in the apple system, do not go there. You would only end up limiting yourself.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-28, 15:05   Link #31
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
If you are not already stuck in the apple system, do not go there. You would only end up limiting yourself.
Nobody is ever "stuck," buying an Apple product doesn't mean that you can't buy something else at a later time. I'd also be interested to know what limitations you're talking about.
Old 2013-07-28, 18:47   Link #32
spikexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Nobody is ever "stuck," buying an Apple product doesn't mean that you can't buy something else at a later time. I'd also be interested to know what limitations you're talking about.
Yes, doesn't mean you can't change, just that while you have their product you might experience limitation.
You need to use itunes (meaning no linux, no alt app).
Can't easily sideload anything (at least, last time I tried you needed jailbreak and even than that wasn't easy).
Need to pay to develop on it.

Those are some example. Android device simply give a lot more liberty. It's the feeling that you actually own the device.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 13:58   Link #33
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Yes, doesn't mean you can't change, just that while you have their product you might experience limitation.
You need to use itunes (meaning no linux, no alt app).
Can't easily sideload anything (at least, last time I tried you needed jailbreak and even than that wasn't easy).
Need to pay to develop on it.

Those are some example. Android device simply give a lot more liberty. It's the feeling that you actually own the device.
I feel like I own all of my i-devices. The difference is that I don't care to develop on my devices, nor do I care to make any fancy customizations. I don't have the time for it. I just want a device that works flawlessly and where I don't have to worry about security beyond setting a passphase. I don't want to have to scrutinize apps in the app store, or worry about how they'll run on my device.

Maybe Android devices can fit those demands; I don't know, I've never tried. I've heard enough complaints to indicate that it's a bit of a risk, though. And unless you need to do something specifically that is difficult to do with Apple's devices, the idea that you're "locked in" and "limited" is overblown. I have these devices to get work and play done, not to waste time configuring and troubleshooting. I've been with the Apple "i-device" ecosystem for about three years now and haven't been disappointed in that regard. That I haven't had to waste any of my time or suffer glitches makes the added price premium (if you could call it that) very worthwhile.
Old 2013-07-29, 18:52   Link #34
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

You know, if I could get an iPad 3 at a good price, I'd get one of those. Is there anywhere I can get a brand new one for a good price?

Edit: Yeah, just like I knew from last time checking around, there are no new ones at discount prices. Maybe I'll just get an iPad 5. When does the iPad 5 hit? See, it'll be quite a bit of money for a 32 GB iPad 5, but I have a strategy. My 30th birthday is coming in October, and I can use this as an opportunity to get an iPad as a gift. It is my 30th birthday, so people will feel compelled to make kind of a big deal out of it.
Old 2013-07-29, 19:28   Link #35
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
You know, if I could get an iPad 3 at a good price, I'd get one of those. Is there anywhere I can get a brand new one for a good price?

Edit: Yeah, just like I knew from last time checking around, there are no new ones at discount prices. Maybe I'll just get an iPad 5. When does the iPad 5 hit? See, it'll be quite a bit of money for a 32 GB iPad 5, but I have a strategy. My 30th birthday is coming in October, and I can use this as an opportunity to get an iPad as a gift. It is my 30th birthday, so people will feel compelled to make kind of a big deal out of it.
The exact date for the updated iPads isn't known, but the estimates are any time between September and November of this year. iOS 7 is expected to drop some time in September, with updated iPhones being released shortly thereafter. The iPads are a bit less predictable.

One thing to consider is whether the 16 GB version will suffice for you. Both my iPad 3 and iPad Mini are the 16 GB variants. Because I stream the majority of my video and use my phone (32 GB) for music and taking photos/videos, the iPads have their space mostly taken up with apps and e-book data. While I could probably do with a 64 GB phone, the 16 GB iPads have been fine for me and I haven't felt constrained by the space. However, as I mentioned previously, I do not have video stored locally on them, nor much music, and I don't have a ton of games.

Because the iPads don't have expandable memory I'd say it's better to play it safe and go with 32 GB over 16 GB if you're in doubt. You might be surprised how far 16 GB stretches on a tablet, though, depending on what you plan to do with it.
Old 2013-07-29, 19:41   Link #36
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Getting fansubs up and going on iPads sounds like a hassle according to some of you here, so I'll just stream video via wifi to an iPad. I'd want a 32 GB one, though. I'd like to put some games on it, I'd like to put e-magazines and e-books on it, and I'd like to try and get into manga with a tablet, so I'd put some on the device itself, if some mangas/Japanese graphic novels are sold digitally. I would also read some from websites, too.

Do they sell some manga and Japanese graphic novels digitally?
Old 2013-07-30, 03:32   Link #37
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Getting fansubs up and going on iPads sounds like a hassle according to some of you here, so I'll just stream video via wifi to an iPad.
As I understand it, you basically install HD Player and its $3 codec pack. That's not hard, it just has caveats:
1) Last I heard, it can crash during complex subs (ie. OP/ED karaoke - I'd worry about complex sign subs as well.
2) Unlike most stuff you'll do on an iPad, CPU speed is very important. I'm not sure how well the A5 generation CPUs (iPad 3/mini) handle 10 bit encodes.

(I also worry that some 10 bit encodes may be less compatible than others even at 720, but I haven't heard any reports of this that didn't involve subtitle induced issues.)

Side note: despite being 4:3 rather than widescreen, a full size iPad will display a 16:9 image with a good 70% more surface area (30% larger both horizantally and vertically) than a Nexus 7 because it's a much bigger tablet.

Quote:
I'd want a 32 GB one, though.
Ewww Apple memory upgrade pricing.

Granted, Google doesn't offer a SD or MicroSD slot for expansion on the Nexus line either, but at less the memory upgrade prices are more reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Maybe Android devices can fit those demands; I don't know, I've never tried. I've heard enough complaints to indicate that it's a bit of a risk, though. And unless you need to do something specifically that is difficult to do with Apple's devices, the idea that you're "locked in" and "limited" is overblown. I have these devices to get work and play done, not to waste time configuring and troubleshooting. I've been with the Apple "i-device" ecosystem for about three years now and haven't been disappointed in that regard. That I haven't had to waste any of my time or suffer glitches makes the added price premium (if you could call it that) very worthwhile.
The big issue I have with iOS being locked down is the negative impact on certain "grey" scenes - visual novel translation being the most notable to me personally. There is a VN translation scene on iOS - there's an unofficial English language patch for Steins;Gate's iOS port which doesn't require jailbreaking, for example. But it's not like I can rip the assets from select PC VNs and just run them on a compatible interpreter - because Apple's app store rules don't allow interpreters (aside from those buried deep into the app). Which is why there's a VNDS port for Android but not iOS, with the developer saying he might someday get around to makeing a iOS version... for jailbroken devices).

Hence while I don't really mind that Apple doesn't allow you to run unauthorized code by default, I object very strongly to this not being provided as an option for advanced users (unless you hack it yourself at considerably more risk). And I don't like that they inspired Microsoft to take the same approach approach for non-desktop apps on Windows 8 as well.

Old 2013-07-30, 08:00   Link #38
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Granted, Google doesn't offer a SD or MicroSD slot for expansion on the Nexus line either, but at less the memory upgrade prices are more reasonable.
This business with omitting a MicroSD slot on tablets makes me think the reason is to drive you to the manufacturers' cloud services to get content. I recently installed a 32 GB MicroSD in my Galaxy S3 and later learned this is one of the few smartphones to offer the option. (Having a removable battery is another plus for the Galaxy in my book.) I was running out of space after transferring some albums to the phone.

Considering that including a MicroSD slot would add perhaps a dollar or two to manufacturing costs, I do not think this decision is driven by economics.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote