AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-12, 18:30   Link #8021
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

There used to be a mining trick to bypass the worker slowdown before they travel from mineral to base. Blizzard rolled that in so resource gather is slightly faster.

The viper so far has been somewhat underused imo. Dark swarm so far has not been that promising as kiting vs zerg is common, but what I am more interested in are good abducts as openers to replace the slow bloodlord push.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 18:35   Link #8022
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I'm hearing the story/campaign is lackluster, to be polite. If I don't give two hoots about the battle.net scene, for those of you who played this through the beta, is it even worth buying for the single player campaign? For the record, I'm a total Starcraft story/lore fan.

And, is it true it's just re-telling the events of the first game, but from a Zerg perspective, rather than continuing on the story from the first game?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 19:08   Link #8023
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I'm hearing the story/campaign is lackluster, to be polite. If I don't give two hoots about the battle.net scene, for those of you who played this through the beta, is it even worth buying for the single player campaign? For the record, I'm a total Starcraft story/lore fan.

And, is it true it's just re-telling the events of the first game, but from a Zerg perspective, rather than continuing on the story from the first game?
It's not the same story from a different view, it's a legitimate sequel. The story imo is more character-focused than WoL (which mostly relied on its plot only) and thus to me does a better job at telling a story than WoL, even though it still has its flaws (it's sometimes a bit corny and cheesy)

Don't take my opinion as a buy recommendation, though: If you're patient enough and can avoid spoilers for a longer period then you might want to wait for the prize to go down if you just want to play the sp campaign. However, completely passing on it as a SC lore fan? It really can't be that bad. Who/what are your sources that the story is lackluster if you don't mind me asking?
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 19:21   Link #8024
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

The plot advancement is somewhat short, can be summarized as:
Spoiler:

The missions themselves are quite interesting though. I think its worth a buy if you want to stay on top of the trend while everyone are talking about HotS and such. Else, pick it up when its $20 a year later.

There are random dialogues of "broodmother ____ is impressed with you and wish to rejoin." "_____ go and infest this terran world and you shall rejoin the swarm". I feel those could have been playable missions.
Old 2013-03-12, 19:30   Link #8025
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
It's not the same story from a different view, it's a legitimate sequel. The story imo is more character-focused than WoL (which mostly relied on its plot only) and thus to me does a better job at telling a story than WoL, even though it still has its flaws (it's sometimes a bit corny and cheesy)
That's good to know. I certainly don't mind cheese (loved Citadel for ME 3). Looks like I'll be picking it up when I get home then.

As an aside, am I the only one who wants to say how ugly Kerrigan is in SC 2, but won't because of fear as coming across as racist?
Also, cake.
Old 2013-03-12, 19:46   Link #8026
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Well, the pink/purple on her makes her body makes her look weird... and I always wonder why she insist on getting high heels...

One of the zerg queens seem to have the face of a protoss, while other (the thing that hangs from the ceiling) got this chest plate which make her look as if there are boobies inside... Oh, monster heads in blizzard seem to look identical, deathwing and diablo + this unit in HotS seem to share the same head.
Old 2013-03-12, 20:41   Link #8027
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

All I know is that I just slammed that last mission with a large army of purple Zerg.
Old 2013-03-12, 21:18   Link #8028
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

The upgrades your units get in HotS are much more OPed than those of WoL: roaches giving a -75% atk spd debuff? Hydras having a on demand 50% increase attack speed buff for 15s? Kerrigan being able to solo much content even on brutal? Ultralisk that revives AND life leeches?

wow
Old 2013-03-12, 21:40   Link #8029
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

So are battle cruises and carriers good for competitive matches now that HoS rolled out?
Old 2013-03-12, 23:02   Link #8030
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
So are battle cruises and carriers good for competitive matches now that HoS rolled out?
I'm relying more on the Tempest to supplement the ground army. Dunno about BCs though.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 23:26   Link #8031
willx
Nyaaan~~

Oh god, the oracles.. always with the oracles..
Old 2013-03-13, 03:31   Link #8032
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Hrm, I'm presumably approaching the climax of the campaign, about 7 hours in (level 52).

The campaign was made super easy, as well as the achievements. I'm not sure if I should be insulted or feel good, as presumably the difficulty level was changed based of their feedback of player activity from WoL?

Mission structure is improved in that you don't have to keep choosing one or another planet, etc. Story is super predictable so far, and I can't help but visualize Archer putting the verbal smackdown on Laura every time Kerrigan opens her silly mouth.

Kerrigan's aoe heal (with ridiculously low cooldown) coupled with ignoring low hp units and just pumping out moderate to high hp units has made most maps completely trivial, even at harder settings.

I'm enjoying myself, regardless, however. I'll be honest. I never even finished Diablo 3, that's how bad the story and gameplay was to me, so I had cynical thoughts concerning this expansion for SC 2. It's basically a much easier, user-friendly version of WoL. Younger me would probably be really pissed about that. :/ The characters are less interesting personality wise, but at least I don't have to stare at steroid marines all game this time around (300 lb marines in an era of spaceflight...lol).

I can already predict where this story goes in the next expansion, and how it climaxes.

Man, how I wish they'd just make World of Starcraft and stop working on "Titan". I still think, to this day, that the lore and setting are infinitely superior to that of Warcraft.
Also, cake.
Old 2013-03-13, 04:36   Link #8033
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

The campaign can get really annoying if you are trying for all the achievements on brutal. I gave up half way on doing achievements as some of them seem rather impossible on that setting.

Please no world of starcraft: I want a SC3. Its obvious what is going to happen: the fall of the xelnaga brings the universe's spotlight onto the kupulu sector of the univese, so UED decided to launch a giant invasion. Meanwhile, the protoss and zerg decide to fight each other again...

Somewhere, the remains of the Xelnaga force comes out of hiding and once again throw the universe into chaos....

//

I played a few games vs AI... so horrible now... feel like a bronze leaguer.. forgetting my overlord, my injects, my creep, forgetting to get ling speed and a fear of early rushes with new units overwhelms me (good things its only the AI).

I need to pay close attention to MLG this weekend and see what the pros are doing early game. Meanwhile I need to work hard on my basics once again.
Old 2013-03-13, 09:08   Link #8034
willx
Nyaaan~~

Yeah, many of the achievements are completely undoable if you play the campaign on brutal. Some of the missions themselves are actually quite hard on brutal as well, especially before Kerrigan levels up into invulnerability.

I played a couple of 2v2 games with a friend and we just got utterly stomped during the placement matches. We're a bit rusty but what got us was the change in the meta .. we were still playing WOL .. every game was widow mine drops and Speshul Taktiks-Oracle harassment into full-on MMM or Tempests. We didn't play against a single Zerg opponent..
Old 2013-03-13, 09:16   Link #8035
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

So guys... I've been out of loop in watching competitive SC2 for a while now. I'm looking to take the HotS release to get myself back there a bit.

Any nice and recent HotS Beta tournament matches you'd all recommend for a watch?

Or any recent big news?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 11:07   Link #8036
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I think I am mentally ill.

First mode I do when I jack into this game is Brutal. And I enjoy the torture of all the ridiculous timings.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 12:11   Link #8037
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Please no world of starcraft: I want a SC3. Its obvious what is going to happen: the fall of the xelnaga brings the universe's spotlight onto the kupulu sector of the univese, so UED decided to launch a giant invasion. Meanwhile, the protoss and zerg decide to fight each other again...

Somewhere, the remains of the Xelnaga force comes out of hiding and once again throw the universe into chaos....
Gonna have to wonder what will happen to this franchise game -- IF -- or once -- the story ends. What then?
Old 2013-03-13, 12:43   Link #8038
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Blizzard needs to start getting creative again and stop milking its successes from the 90s. It is time for them to come up with new games and show that they are not dead in the creativity department. I don't want to see SC3, Warcraft 4, diablo 4 or even more wow expansions for the next 10 years.
Old 2013-03-13, 13:23   Link #8039
Kyuu
=^^=

Blizzard should make a SimCity type game, by which it has a space theme (to avoid copyright conflicts).
Old 2013-03-13, 13:38   Link #8040
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Blizzard needs to start getting creative again and stop milking its successes from the 90s. It is time for them to come up with new games and show that they are not dead in the creativity department. I don't want to see SC3, Warcraft 4, diablo 4 or even more wow expansions for the next 10 years.
Yea, EA should stop doing Assassin's Creed and Heroes of might and Magic, Microsoft should stop Halo, Square Enix with Final Fantasy 200.

Do you know why they keep doing it?

Because the days of wild-wild-west of coding something to market is OVER. Gone was the day of a band of young engineers in their Mom basement or a rented house (See Blizzard: North) was able to crank out a best seller.

Because it is now massively expensive to start a project, with budget rival major movies (Blizz and EA spent 1.8 BILLION dollars on their R&D) for 2012.

So rather than getting a new franchise, they prefer one that is guarantee to make money, and recover cost.

So what is more risky? A new Franchise with unknown market, or a old franchise with a proven base?

Your shareholders awaits.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, starcraft, windows