AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-01-26, 18:34   Link #2961
Charred Knight

I don't think you need to go into Lacus Clyne's past because there is nothing special about it. She's simply the daughter of Siegel Clyne, and the fiancee of Athrun Zala. She wasn't raised by wolves, her past wasn't full of wars. she wasn't some genetic experiment, you learned about the pasts of Kira, Mu, Rau, Rey, Shinn, Durandal, Talia, and Meer because that was important to the story (or at least their character).
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 18:39   Link #2962
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
I already mentioned this: the problem with Lacus is that out of the key players of Seed and GSD, she doesn't have much of a backstory on how she became what she is. We already knew Kira's and Athrun's origins throughout Seed, and how did Shinn became what he is in GSD.
Oh, I know that's part of why she doesn't appeal to me that much- even though she could have if they'd done her character properly. And I think it's probably what most people have a problem with... her lack of a backstory, flaws and relatable traits make her difficult for people to understand or, well feel related to.
I was just saying that leaving those issues aside she at least does something, compared to some of the more awful characters of her type. Considering she's a main heroine however, it's a grave oversight that she doesn't have any of the above- but we all know it plays back into how she's a self-insert.

Quote:
Is Fukuda trying to give Lacus a Wolverine-like origin (i.e., Lacus's origins are shrouded in mystery)?
I doubt that's the case. A background is just hard to do for a character who's meant to be flawless- it means having to do a lot of human stuff with them and that's usually messy.

Either that, or there really wasn't anything in her past...

edit: actually there at least has to be how she became a popstar, why she became who she is in Seed though...
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 19:03   Link #2963
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Oh, I know that's part of why she doesn't appeal to me that much- even though she could have if they'd done her character properly. And I think it's probably what most people have a problem with... her lack of a backstory, flaws and relatable traits make her difficult for people to understand or, well feel related to.
I was just saying that leaving those issues aside she at least does something, compared to some of the more awful characters of her type. Considering she's a main heroine however, it's a grave oversight that she doesn't have any of the above- but we all know it plays back into how she's a self-insert.

I doubt that's the case. A background is just hard to do for a character who's meant to be flawless- it means having to do a lot of human stuff with them and that's usually messy.

Either that, or there really wasn't anything in her past...

edit: actually there at least has to be how she became a popstar, why she became who she is in Seed though...
Here are a few things that were mentioned about her past:
  • An abandoned theater (where Athrun visited to pursue Lacus); this is where Lacus had her debut performance
  • Lacus's mother's ring
  • Her relationship with Athrun

If I were to write an Episode Zero-like origin for her, here are some ideas I would put in:
  • Establish a relationship w/ Athrun
  • Introduce Lacus's mother
  • Lacus's debut performance at the same abandoned theater (the main storyline)
  • Have her story intertwine with Athrun's
  • Dedicate 1/4ths of her storyline to the relationship between Siegel and Patrick; this also applies to Athrun's storyline as well
Old 2012-01-26, 19:20   Link #2964
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

There's nothing special about her relationship with Athrun. They were selected to be wed due to the genetic problems that forced into law pre-arranged marriages based on genetic viability. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 2012-01-26, 19:31   Link #2965
monster

Quote:
I don't see why we need to know how Lacus became a star. Like Charred Knight said, her past, beyond what we were given, is inconsequential to her actions in the story.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 20:41   Link #2966
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

whoa talking about making prequel past series on GS characters.

give of course i've mention it before & some thought give they could make it give more in depth on past of some GS characters to see how it all happen before ep.1 of GS.

oh Lacus background past series hmm i'm also quite interest too see as well give more in depth on the Lacus & yet curious what her mom was like as well?
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 20:43   Link #2967
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I don't see why we need to know how Lacus became a star. Like Charred Knight said, her past, beyond what we were given, is inconsequential to her actions in the story.
I'm grasping for straws regarding what is known about her which isn't much to begin with ^^''
Personally, the only reason I'd care about her past is if it adds depth to her character and gives her a stronger personality with insight into what motivates her to go from popstar to rebel and political figurehead.
Imo, all Lacus needs is more humanity.

And don't say that's irrelevant for the plot, she's supposedly a main character not a plot device and as such should have depth.
It's not really "relevant" that Murrue had a boyfriend who died either, yet it adds to the story.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 20:45   Link #2968
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
This, seeing as her involvement is central to the plot, she needs more depth for the plot to make sense.
Old 2012-01-26, 20:57   Link #2969
monster

Quote:
I'm grasping for straws regarding what is known about her which isn't much to begin with ^^''
Personally, the only reason I'd care about her past is if it adds depth to her character and gives her a stronger personality with insight into what motivates her to go from popstar to rebel and political figurehead.

And don't say that's irrelevant for the plot, she's supposedly a main character not a plot device and as such should have depth.
It's not really "relevant" that Murrue had a boyfriend who died either, yet it adds to the story.
Murrue's boyfriend adds to the story because it explains why she is hesitant to be with Mu.

With Lacus, everything about her is explained in the story itself. From her meeting with Kira to her dad dying. And we are shown some of her past. For her example, we can see that her engagement to Athrun seems to be less about love and more about politics/genetics, which explains why they are readily separated when Kira and Cagalli enters the picture.
Old 2012-01-26, 21:08   Link #2970
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I love it (Cause people always like to say "I love it" before the kill$hit^^) how people forget that Lacus was first introduced as a somewhat mentally challenged idiot-savant how talked to her ball-like robots...I remember when Athrun was first shown at her front door he was like "WTF? I'm really gonna marry this loon?" Now I know she turned into black SEEDMODE eyes Nacy Drew out-dueling Dullindal based on seeing red-scribblings on a notebook, and taking trips to non-existent shadow organizations named Terminal before she puppeteer'd Athrun yet again, but that girl was one coordinator cuckoo over the nest at first...
Old 2012-01-26, 21:22   Link #2971
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I love it (Cause people always like to say "I love it" before the kill$hit^^) how people forget that Lacus was first introduced as a somewhat mentally challenged idiot-savant how talked to her ball-like robots...I remember when Athrun was first shown at her front door he was like "WTF? I'm really gonna marry this loon?" Now I know she turned into black SEEDMODE eyes Nacy Drew out-dueling Dullindal based on seeing red-scribblings on a notebook, and taking trips to non-existent shadow organizations named Terminal before she puppeteer'd Athrun yet again, but that girl was one coordinator cuckoo over the nest at first...
Well, when she left the Archangel, we got a glimpse of Lacus' more serious side.
Old 2012-01-26, 21:53   Link #2972
ssbb210

ep 6
ssbb210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 22:00   Link #2973
kakakka

^It's up
http://youtu.be/tKtVKJTRHnw
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 22:55   Link #2974
HasuMasu
*Artist

Did they change Blitz's beam sabre from yellow to pink?
Old 2012-01-27, 00:41   Link #2975
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Did they change Blitz's beam sabre from yellow to pink?
The Blitz's beam saber has always been pink. The only one of the GAT series that had yellow beam sabers was the Aegis.
Old 2012-01-27, 01:14   Link #2976
HasuMasu
*Artist

What? Must be my imagination then, I always thought Blitz had a yellow beam sabre.
Old 2012-01-27, 01:36   Link #2977
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
only Aegis is having yellow beam saber
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 02:54   Link #2978
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by duotiga View Post
only Aegis is having yellow beam saber
Well, the Aegis and the Daggers...
Old 2012-01-27, 04:01   Link #2979
Charred Knight

Quote:
She was on an unknown ship so she pretended to be dumb. She dropped the act occasionally.

Personally I love dumb Lacus as there is some great humor in seeing her do things like dumbly wave to Kira.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 08:33   Link #2980
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Umh since the start of GS (ep 12/13) Lacus has been portrayed as a girl who looks innocent but is in reallity smart and know how to use her influence. She looks dumb because she want it that way not because she is dumb. In reality she's really smart. That's why she's a good politician.

Lacus doesn't need more development. She's great as she is. She's a character that is hate by some but love by other.

And her relationship with Kira will awawys be one of my fav one. We don't need another usual relationship with drama and all. The appeal in her relationship with Kira is that their bond is stronger than anything, their love is stronger than anything. Their bond will never be broken. They know that. This kind of relationship is really rare and that's why it's great.

If you want your usual relationship, you have many other pairing like that in GS and GSD.

Tags
mecha, seed it and weep