AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 39
10 out of 10: Amazing... 6 17.14%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 5 14.29%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 13 37.14%
7 out of 10: Good... 8 22.86%
6 out of 10: Average... 2 5.71%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 2.86%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-10, 05:32   Link #121
JMvS
Rawrrr!

I feel there is much confusion regarding Ezelcant "Darwinist" agenda. Probably has to do with the use of the term "Superior" in show, which get assimilated with stronger. In effect, instead of the Ubermensch, hig goal is more the Last Man.

In previous Gundam shows, Newtypes and the likes were often classified as the step toward the Ubermensch, now remember that in contrast to that, Ezelcant has repeatedly labelled them as a regression.

Thus, rather than a darwinist approach, I'd tend to see him as vying for a form of posthumanism. Hig goal being to create a race of human wise enough to live in harmony.
In effect he isn't selecting violent humans and X-rounder, but drawing them out to die on the battlefront, ala Treize (also reminds me of Lelouch BTW), with the not smart enough dying in colony destructions, only leaving those apt enough to survive adversity in non violent ways.

IE, he is aiming for an "understanding" ending, but by weeding out those unable to understand each other.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:14   Link #122
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
IE, he is aiming for an "understanding" ending, but by weeding out those unable to understand each other.
Except Earth Sphere's Federation and Colony Nations already achieved peace on their own for a century after being horrified of what their weapons can do during the Colony Nation Wars.

Their answer was Technos Taboo, abandoning their most dangerous technologies and strictly controlled development of science and technology.

It was not culling people but keeping the guns away from crazy people.

Ezelcant found a hidden stash of those guns and he is crazy.

All he did was regress humanity back a hundred years.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 09:50   Link #123
ri.kenji
Lazy Bum

Did anyone else find it weird that the AGE-3 Gundam was able to eject and join up with new parts in full view of the enemy?
ri.kenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 10:01   Link #124
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Except Earth Sphere's Federation and Colony Nations already achieved peace on their own for a century after being horrified of what their weapons can do during the Colony Nation Wars.
Yeah, but not all think their "peace" is "fair". All the crazy, bitter people need to do is do their weapons build-up in a place where the Federation can't reach and do their crazy ideology. Not that the consequence is justifiable, but not that impossible to happen.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 10:32   Link #125
grss1982

Am I the only one who's sick and tired of hearing Kio...keep on saying "but" in Japanese....effin fight already kid!!!!! Jeeze!!!!
Old 2012-07-10, 11:03   Link #126
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri.kenji View Post
Did anyone else find it weird that the AGE-3 Gundam was able to eject and join up with new parts in full view of the enemy?
It happens all the time in anime the enemy just stands there while he lets the hero pull out their super weapon, magical transformation, ultimate attack etc.
Old 2012-07-10, 13:46   Link #127
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri.kenji View Post
Not at all, since "transformation sequence is a free action" trope has been around for years.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 14:02   Link #128
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I think it stands out that other instances of the Gundam AGE-3 in its docking sequences had Vagan forces attempt to stop it, and that this one didn't.

That said, the rest of the Vagan forces were preoccupied with the Bisidian forces, and the only one who could've interfered was Ezelcant who... probably wanted to fight the Gundam.
Old 2012-07-10, 14:08   Link #129
monster

Considering Ezelcant was still able to defeat Kio, I think his lack of effort in stopping the process is justifiable.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 15:03   Link #130
janipani

I think supah pilotto wasn't supah enough... I miss the super ownage battle ala SEED by Kira

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 12:21   Link #131
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

The irony is that if someone like Kira DOES show up, people will hate him for being too powerful.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 17:21   Link #132
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
The irony is that if someone like Kira DOES show up, people will hate him for being too powerful.
Well, that depends, if you are in for some brainless action, sure, it might be for you, you know?

but at the same time it's like playing any game with immortality, it gets boring really quick, its the same with Kira
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 18:06   Link #133
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Well, that depends, if you are in for some brainless action, sure, it might be for you, you know?

but at the same time it's like playing any game with immortality, it gets boring really quick, its the same with Kira
See, this is what I don't get.

The protagonist will win regardless, so what difference does it make if he effortlessly dispatches his enemies or if he struggles before doing so?? We know that he's not gonna be beaten, so both scenarios are pretty much brainless.
Old 2012-07-11, 18:14   Link #134
ReddyRedWolf

Genre shift, Gundam was the pioneer of the Real Robot genre. With beam spam, plebotium armors or shields it shifts closer to Super Robot genre where it boils down to hot blooded invisibility.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 18:42   Link #135
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Gundam AGE was one of the few shows where the grunts were somewhat competent (and I mean nameless grunts not the who shall not be named despite having the first of the frontline MS).

On that matter does anyone have a timedate on how long the colony wars were?

The way Ezcelant was sprouting his nonsense about humanity going back to its destructive way was just out of sync since the Earth sphere was enjoying a golden age of peace.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 19:14   Link #136
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
The way Ezcelant was sprouting his nonsense about humanity going back to its destructive way was just out of sync since the Earth sphere was enjoying a golden age of peace.
that has been discuss a lot on previous pages of this thread
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 19:27   Link #137
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Genre shift, Gundam was the pioneer of the Real Robot genre. With beam spam, plebotium armors or shields it shifts closer to Super Robot genre where it boils down to hot blooded invisibility.
I think that, with the exception of G (and possibly some parts of UC, 00, and AGE), most Gundam shows have kept themselves to that real robot genre fairly well.
Old 2012-07-11, 19:33   Link #138
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Too bad Kio's Gundam can't be super h4x like Strike-Freedom
Old 2012-07-11, 19:50   Link #139
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Too bad Kio's Gundam can't be super h4x like Strike-Freedom
AGE-3 is already plenty powerful. And Kio will apparently get an even better Gundam.
Old 2012-07-11, 20:15   Link #140
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
See, this is what I don't get.

The protagonist will win regardless, so what difference does it make if he effortlessly dispatches his enemies or if he struggles before doing so?? We know that he's not gonna be beaten, so both scenarios are pretty much brainless.
Personally I really don't care much either way as long as it is kept entertaining but most people like to see the protag actually work for his or her victory winning impossible odds not with just overwhelming fire power alone. After all if you see them stomp every single enemy everytime it starts to get old for some.

Tags
weekly episode discussion