AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2015-01-04, 17:25   Link #2001
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Aaah, sorry for all the trouble... Eheh, this fanbase is certainly opinionated, I cannot lie... So, what do you think the chances are that Yen Press will license more of the Higurashi manga? They released Dice-Killing, but no word since then... (Though they are doing Umineko Chiru apparently.)
I'd say it's pretty likely. When they licensed Dice Killing, there wasn't any announcement or anything. It just quietly popped up on online stores for pre-order. It feels like the franchise is still popular, and will probably continue to be so with the exposure of being on Steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXtreme View Post
Any idea where or if I could read it online?
There's nowhere to read it online, but you can order it at Rightstuf, Amazon, etc.

It's definitely worth reading.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 17:31   Link #2002
Joly
モエカステル

If I recall correctly, I believe they announced Dice Killing being licensed on their blog... though I don't remember how long ago that was. If they're going to release any more Higurashi manga, I feel it will be most likely the remaining arcs that were published by Square-Enix's manga division (the main story arcs - which YenPress already did, Kataribanashi-hen volumes, Hinamizawa Bus Stop, Hirukowashi-hen.) Or possibly the arcs that were published by Comp Ace - they already did Onisarashi-hen ... so possibly they could pick up Kokoroiyashi-hen.
Joly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 19:55   Link #2003
Shikou
ex-Hinamizawa Resident

I think YenPress are completely done with Higurashi at the moment. The main focus now is Chiru.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPearse View Post
The 3D model ones look much better than the sprites, and they're much cuter looking.
Well that kinda was the whole point of the DayBreak series. Its suppose to be chibi and cute. I cant really see them using them for the main series cuz how are you suppose to take a cute sprite serious when crap is about to go down?
PS3 0/2 PSP cancelled
Shikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 19:59   Link #2004
xPearse

Eh? Don't have a clue what happened there, but I guess it's best not to ask. Anyway, more manga being released overseas is always a good sign and idea, so I hope Yen Press continues to release more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikou View Post
Well that kinda was the whole point of the DayBreak series. Its suppose to be chibi and cute. I cant really see them using them for the main series cuz how are you suppose to take a cute sprite serious when crap is about to go down?
Yea, violence and mystery with a kawai art style sure would be silly, but I'd probably still enjoy something like that. I also talking about the mega edition sprites when I meant the 3D models look better, just encase you thought I meant the sound novels.
xPearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 20:01   Link #2005
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Gura got banned, is all you need to know :/

As long as Yen Press finishes their Umineko release, I have nothing I need from them more.
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 20:12   Link #2006
GrAVit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
Gura got banned, is all you need to know :/
Passively speaking, it's not a surprise that you get banned if you keep using unnecessary toxic cussing.
If you're going to hold an argument, keep your cool.
It was all a subjective matter of opinion anyway, no need to get worked up over it.

Aaaanyway, I agree with having more Yen Press releases being a good idea.
I haven't read much manga but I think I should get more into it, I'm probably missing out.
I've only read the Higurashi manga exclusive arcs.
GrAVit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 20:15   Link #2007
Shikou
ex-Hinamizawa Resident

Quote:
Yea, violence and mystery with a kawai art style sure would be silly, but I'd probably still enjoy something like that. I also talking about the mega edition sprites when I meant the 3D models look better, just encase you thought I meant the sound novels.
I just assumed you were talking about both games since they both use the chibi artstyle
Maybe we can work on a patch that uses those sprites? Might not be much sense the sprites are limited to school outfits (I own both games). Maybe we can do it for the lolz or something?
PS3 0/2 PSP cancelled
Old 2015-01-04, 21:55   Link #2008
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAVit View Post
Aaaanyway, I agree with having more Yen Press releases being a good idea.
I haven't read much manga but I think I should get more into it, I'm probably missing out.
I've only read the Higurashi manga exclusive arcs.
That's funny, I skipped Yoigoshi-hen pretty much entirely because it wasn't part of the main series (Though I still plan on buying it.) It's pretty good, though your mileage may vary on the artwork. Personally, and I'm absolutely, completely positive very few people will agree with me, Karin Suzuragi and Jiro Suzuki are my favorite artists in Higurashi.
Old 2015-01-04, 22:02   Link #2009
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
That's funny, I skipped Yoigoshi-hen pretty much entirely because it wasn't part of the main series (Though I still plan on buying it.) It's pretty good, though your mileage may vary on the artwork. Personally, and I'm absolutely, completely positive very few people will agree with me, Karin Suzuragi and Jiro Suzuki are my favorite artists in Higurashi.
Yoigoshi-hen is alright, though I disagree with the order they put it in. It's best read after the Atonement Arc, IMHO. The artwork is probably my favorite part of it' just because it's unique.

I like the "Demon Exposing" arc that's an omnibus even more, though. It shows you another side of the Hinamizawa Syndrome. I feel like it's more "universe-expanding" than Yoigoshi-hen. It also helps that it has a cute heroine!
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 22:07   Link #2010
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Yoigoshi-hen is alright, though I disagree with the order they put it in. It's best read after the Atonement Arc, IMHO. The artwork is probably my favorite part of it' just because it's unique.

I like the "Demon Exposing" arc that's an omnibus even more, though. It shows you another side of the Hinamizawa Syndrome. I feel like it's more "universe-expanding" than Yoigoshi-hen. It also helps that it has a cute heroine!
I've read that one! I quite liked it, and it's usage of visual clues were very cute! I actually thought the artist was messing up, at first, but after the second death I figured it out! That was really, really clever!

This is a bit off-topic, but it's still 07th Expansion related, so I'll give it a go anyway: Yen Press seems to focus mostly on Square Enix titles, from what I've seen of their library, and since both Higurashi and Umineko seem to be doing well, does anyone think there's a possibility that the Rose Guns Days manga will be licensed? RGD was the product of Square's sponsorship, so I'm hoping... Anyone know if Yen Press is affiliated with Square or something like that?

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 2015-01-04 at 22:26.
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 22:25   Link #2011
Joly
モエカステル

I believe it's a possibility. They release a majority of Square Enix's titles in physical format, plus YenPress is also in a partnership with SE in releasing digital manga.
Joly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-05, 08:30   Link #2012
xPearse

Quote:
I just assumed you were talking about both games since they both use the chibi artstyle
Maybe we can work on a patch that uses those sprites? Might not be much sense the sprites are limited to school outfits (I own both games). Maybe we can do it for the lolz or something?
Too bad there's only school sprites, but it'd probably still be something worthwhile for a good chuckle. Although due to the sprites lower res I do wonder if they would look a bit blurry blown up full-size on the games 640x480 box. And how many different expressions do the sprites have? I'm curious. I'll also ask around to see how to rip psp sprites, I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post

Yea, Yoigoshi-hen was okay. Although I really enjoyed the first half where it was like Identity, awesome movie by the way. But, the second half was very uninspiring. I really didn't like everyone's character arcs in the end. The art was great though, but I wouldn't say it's unique, I've seen that style in a few other manga before. That stupid Evangelion Buso Renkin inspired manga for example.

Although I really enjoyed Natsumi's story, but not the ending. I feel that could have been done better. The artwork is also very well drawn, which is a major bonus. Natsumi is also cute looking, very Miaka from Mysterious Play looking though, but in a good way.
Old 2015-01-05, 10:17   Link #2013
Shikou
ex-Hinamizawa Resident

Quote:
Too bad there's only school sprites, but it'd probably still be something worthwhile for a good chuckle. Although due to the sprites lower res I do wonder if they would look a bit blurry blown up full-size on the games 640x480 box. And how many different expressions do the sprites have? I'm curious. I'll also ask around to see how to rip psp sprites, I want.
Its been a while since I played. For the original DayBreak just happy, smiling, and laughing from what I can remember (Rena goes Yandere but I dont remember if she has a sprite for it). For Mega Edition they have Yandere expressions, worrying, angry, happy, laughing, sad, and mono expressions.
PS3 0/2 PSP cancelled
Old 2015-01-05, 11:09   Link #2014
Shikou
ex-Hinamizawa Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXtreme View Post
OK, here's the Daybreak Mega Edition sprite model things again. First post one got deleted because it responded to other posts that were deleted.
Those look more like concept art than 3D models
PS3 0/2 PSP cancelled
Old 2015-01-05, 11:30   Link #2015
xPearse

The adult male one's look very odd, especially Oishi.

Quote:
Its been a while since I played. For the original DayBreak just happy, smiling, and laughing from what I can remember (Rena goes Yandere but I dont remember if she has a sprite for it). For Mega Edition they have Yandere expressions, worrying, angry, happy, laughing, sad, and mono expressions.
Right, thanks for the info.

Quote:
Those look more like concept art than 3D models
That's just how they pose 3d models, as they do it from various angles. But I guess it looking cartoony makes it seems more like concept art.

Also, I've got a question. I'm currently reading through Minagoroshi-hen and Rika talks to Hanyu while with the others, but nobody reacts to her. So does Rika and Hanyu talk physically or something?
Old 2015-01-05, 11:37   Link #2016
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Also, I've got a question. I'm currently reading through Minagoroshi-hen and Rika talks to Hanyu while with the others, but nobody reacts to her. So does Rika and Hanyu talk physically or something?
In the VN, I always assumed they talked with telepathy. But the Anime is even more confusing, they show Rika speak to Hanyuu, while no one else questions it. Better to not think about it.
Old 2015-01-05, 16:33   Link #2017
xPearse

Quote:
In the VN, I always assumed they talked with telepathy. But the Anime is even more confusing, they show Rika speak to Hanyuu, while no one else questions it. Better to not think about it.
Same here, that's what I was thinking. But yea, the anime makes it very confusing.

Anyway, I was searching the net for various things about a week ago and stumbled upon this.
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/019/19293/

I never knew they pimped out the store with merc for the PS2 release, impressive.
Spoiler for Pics:
Old 2015-01-05, 16:38   Link #2018
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

I think I would die of joy if I went into a store and saw something like this, replace Higurashi with Umineko and I would die further.
Old 2015-01-05, 17:14   Link #2019
GrAVit

Quote:
I think I would die of joy if I went into a store and saw something like this, replace Higurashi with Umineko and I would die further.
What if both? Would you explode? lol
GrAVit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-05, 17:18   Link #2020
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAVit View Post
What if both? Would you explode? lol
If both, I'd be erased from existence, add Legend of Korra as well and the universe will come with me.