AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 13 17.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 31.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 32.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 6.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 4.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-05, 19:47   Link #61
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't see a lack of a romantic pairing at the end as any kind of a cop-out on Okada's part, RRR - I just don't think this is a romance series. This isn't True Tears. As long as she gives us a resolution where Ohana grows as a person, I don't think she owes the shippers anything. Sure, there are hints of romance here - the protagonist is a teenager and it's a two-cour series. But most of the frenzy is coming from overzealous viewers, not the writer.

If TT had ended without a pairing, I'd have felt gypped. Not so here.
Old 2011-06-05, 19:51   Link #62
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
Does anybody know if the rumor of Hanasaku spanning over the course of 10 years is true? I´ve read about in 4chan...but seeing as its , well..."4chan" I don't really believe it.

As in the story starting with Ohana 16 and ending at her being 26? Anybody know?
Not sure but that is the rumor along with it being a two cour series.
Old 2011-06-05, 20:36   Link #63
Jonothon

Best rebuttal in a single sentence in a single episode award goes to Grey:

Quote:
And usually a cigar is just a cigar. If it's not a cigar, they show a scene early on where the cigar has an evil cape and top hat on.
That was funny...
Old 2011-06-05, 21:28   Link #64
ChairmanMeow
Great Helmscat

This whole episode just seemed so surreal, especially the dream scene. There are still a lot of ways it can be interpreted, but for sure Ohana is loving her life in Kissuiso, where people accept and need her.

As for what Ko symbolized in her dream...I just can't be too sure. It could be that he is just a symbol of her old life, or that he is himself, or that he's both. Definitely there's no going back to just being friends like back in the old days for sure, and I for sure agree with Enzo saying that the resolution between those two will play a huge role later on.

And I guess it was just me, but I sort of like Jiroumaru in this episode. He did go to see Ohana, and I saw it like how fever-induced Ohana saw it: his own way of having a visit with a sick person. Or maybe that's my blind optimism that looks for the best in some characters that are normally just supposed to be the stooge.
Old 2011-06-05, 21:34   Link #65
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Usually I really adore these sorts of episodes, but taken in context of the entire series, it doesn't quite work as well.

For one thing, I almost feel like this was a natural lead up from episodes 1 and 2, except we were missing episodes in between that and episode 10. This Ohana is the same Ohana who we knew in episodes 1 and 2. The Ohana in episodes 3-9 is a far different, more evolved Ohana (A more boring one I must say as well).

Now it's not that I have a problem with this sort of Ohana, and if she stayed this way for the rest of the series, I'd be more than satisfied. It's just that again this show expresses a freaking IDENTITY CRISIS.

No really. This is the Ohana we came to knew in episodes 1 and 2. The same sort of paranoid, insecure Ohana that frankly is a little emotionally frustrated inside, despite the cheerful appearance on the outside. The Ohana in episodes 3-9 was more of a bullheaded girl who charged into situations no matter how silly, and was trying to be everyone's helper girl. She wasn't very emotionally complex at all. Really, while such characters are not necessarily bad, I much prefer this other Ohana. This Ohana has more depth.

The problem is trying to connect the two. The world in episodes 3-9 is usually far more zany (At times WAY TOO zany such as 3 and 7). Ohana's personality shifted to match these contrasting sides of the story, but this makes the story feel very unnatural. I mean, there was no good build up from the previous episodes that Ohana was this insecure about her worth to the Inn. It comes off as overwrought, especially considering how useful she was in the last couple episodes where as Guardian Enzo pointed out, she was truly indispensable.

I'm going to keep saying it despite people not wanting me to, but really, this show needs to stick with one style or this series will continue to be disorienting, slapping many viewers with jarring shifts in tone, direction, narrative, and characterization.
You bring up a really interesting point, and I think you're right. But being just a casual watcher of this series, I didn't even notice the dramatic shift in personalities from week to week. Either the writers did a really good job of portraying Ohana that way so that I didn't notice (or perhaps a different writer did each episode?) but I think that these are all different sides of Ohanas personality, and the reason so far the series has been episodic is because we are supposed to begin to see Ohana as all of these things. I think Ohanas personality is such that she is strong willed and spontaneous, but when she has the "luxury" of thinking about it she is still young, away from home, and insecure (it's not like Madam Manager and Minko haven't bullied her, not to mention Jiros sex novel about her, which would probably make any other girl very very uncomfortable to work with him).
And the essential plot question that this episode covered was necessary, and something that people may have been asking anyway: How important to the inn is Ohana really, and what would happen if she left the inn.
Remember, in the first episode Madam Manager said she was unwillingly taking in the child of her excommunicated daughter. In this episode, we see that Ohana has persevered in becoming an integral part of the inn, as well as seeing a somewhat grandmotherly side of Madam Manager.

On a different side note, her insistence on getting up when she was obviously sick was kind of annoying. Having been in that sort of situation, and taken care of people in similar circumstances, I know that it's really more annoying when you have to watch someone who shouldn't be working to make sure they actually don't work. When it's time to rest, it's time to rest. Don't force other people to look after you longer when you could get better in a few days in you followed doctors orders.
But in general, I love Ohana. She is my model character of someone who always thinks positive, never complains, works hard, and cares.

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
Old 2011-06-05, 22:37   Link #66
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Heh, but I would also admit the story could also spin Ohana's lack of worry about Jiromaru's creepiness as interest in him.
Another part of this episode that I liked, was how Ohana did come across as a bit perturbed and baffled by Jiromaru. That was lacking to an eyebrow-raising degree in Episode 3.

Quote:
I was just saying: stories can spin tons of earlier events in new ways. That doesn't mean the stuff is real evidence for anything at the time.

It's just a literary tactic. You spin an old event in a new way, so you can start a new development that doesn't look like it comes out of nowhere. The point here is that it would be new, because Ohana doesn't show any real interest in him yet.
I think it's too early to declare that she has a "total lack of interest" in him, though.

My point is that Okada has given more than enough suggestive hints here that it should not take anybody by surprise if she decides to go down an Ohana/Tohru route.

Quote:
And usually a cigar is just a cigar. If it's not a cigar, they show a scene early on where the cigar has an evil cape and top hat on.

Truth be told, I used to be more of your perspective: Wondering how some people could read so much into such small hints. But then, far more often than not, those people would end up being right about those subtle romance hints leading to something more concrete down the line. If there's a scene in anime that can in any way, shape, or form be construed as having some romantic underpinnings to it, that's more often than not the route the anime will take.

Simply put, it's rare when you have a lot of coincidental smoke, and no fire whatsoever. That's my experience with anime, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't see a lack of a romantic pairing at the end as any kind of a cop-out on Okada's part, RRR - I just don't think this is a romance series.
Well, this is where you and I disagree somewhat. Even if this isn't primarily a romance series, romance is starting to seem like a very prominent subcategory for this anime. That's how it seems to me, anyway.

This is three episodes in a row now in which Hanasaku Iroha has very clearly played around with romantic hints, suggestions, and conflicts.

I question having all those hints unless there's a plan to have them actually go somewhere eventually.

Quote:

This isn't True Tears.
I see significant similarities between this and True Tears.

Quote:
As long as she gives us a resolution where Ohana grows as a person, I don't think she owes the shippers anything.
I simply disagree. I think it would be a horrible dodge on Okada's part to avoid the question of Ko's romantic confession entirely. At some point, Ohana should respond concretely to that, in my view.

Quote:
Sure, there are hints of romance here - the protagonist is a teenager and it's a two-cour series.
That alone doesn't mean you have such hints of romance, and of potential romantic conflict, in three straight episodes, imo.

Again, what's telling to me, is the frequency of these hints. It's not that Ohana personally chased down Tohru once (which I myself could easily dismiss), it's that she did it twice and we're not even half-way through this anime yet. I will say that I agree with your "peaking too early" concern for much the same reason, in fact.

Quote:
But most of the frenzy is coming from overzealous viewers, not the writer.

If TT had ended without a pairing, I'd have felt gypped. Not so here.
I'll feel gypped here if Ko's romantic confession isn't address, and if Tohru's obvious feelings for Ohana don't result in some serious resolution at some point.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-06-05 at 23:07.
Old 2011-06-05, 23:13   Link #67
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just to clarify - what I mean explicitly is that there may be no pairing at the end of the series. If the situation with Kou were left as it is now, yes - that would be inadequate. It does need to be dealt with - just not necessarily in the form of "Kou or Tohru". It might be as simple as Ohana telling Kou she loves him but as a friend, or she loves him but she's ready to move on - but not necessarily leaving as part of a couple.

That's the difference for me. If TT had ended without Good Boy making a specific and concrete "Hiromi or Noe" choice, I would have felt gypped. Wouldn't you?
Old 2011-06-05, 23:19   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Just to clarify - what I mean explicitly is that there may be no pairing at the end of the series. If the situation with Kou were left as it is now, yes - that would be inadequate. It does need to be dealt with - just not necessarily in the form of "Kou or Tohru". It might be as simple as Ohana telling Kou she loves him but as a friend, or she loves him but she's ready to move on - but not necessarily leaving as part of a couple.

That's the difference for me. If TT had ended without Good Boy making a specific and concrete "Hiromi or Noe" choice, I would have felt gypped. Wouldn't you?
Absolutely. A bit more so than I would here, in fairness.

After discussing this episode with you on this thread, I'll admit that you could have an ending in this anime where Ohana isn't romantically with anyone, and I would still be Ok with it. That's not what I expect or want, but I could live with it. So I change my take there a bit.

But what would bother me is if things like Ko's romantic confession, and Tohru's obvious feelings for Ohana, are all swept under the rug, and never concretely addressed one way or the other.

As you say, I think that would be inadequate at this juncture.
Old 2011-06-05, 23:34   Link #69
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Episode 10

Sick Ohana episode is really good. Reminded me of that Haruhi episode where Nagato was reading a book for 5 minutes.
Old 2011-06-06, 00:29   Link #70
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I felt this episode was probably the most frozen episode so far.
You get to see the girls act all nice to each other. Hoorah...?
Frozen as in, practically none of the story moved at all. Except that Kou-chan seemingly died and his spirit is talking to Ohana in her dreams and trying to drag her to hell too.
I'm actually inclined to agree in general. Outside of scenes depicting Tohru's obvious crush on Ohana & a jealous Minko, this episode didn't offer much for me.
Old 2011-06-06, 02:25   Link #71
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

aaahhh... I wish I can see more dramatic scene in this episode....

yeah! I agree about the scene between Tohru and Ohana is one of a cute scene.... Tohru's sharp tongue is useless against silent Ohana... XD
poor Minko... T_T

I can see how Kissuiso's staff care so much about Ohana... and that's sweet.... (although Ren-san looks didn't care at all)

Since I'm OhanaXKo supporter, I can't give this episode a higher rating than 8/10.... lol....
Don't give up, Ko! Ohana will look for you in the next episode.... XD
Old 2011-06-06, 02:26   Link #72
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

This was the first episode of HSI I'd describe as "relaxing", and while I've generally felt that the fast pacing and slightly chaotic happenings of the previous episodes were a strength of the show, this actually worked really well.

I definitely enjoyed the surrealism of the proceedings (then again, I'm a Shaft fanboy) and all the little character moments. My only true disappointment was that Tomoe wasn't the one to read the phone message. I just got this image of Ohana finally getting up after her sick day and Tomoe immediately asking who this "Kou" is.

(But the bit where she helps the manager drive off Jiromaru and the uncle was great... I love Tomoe.)

Regarding the complaint about Jiromaru's appearance, I can kind of see the point but on the other hand it's hard to imagine Jiromari visiting sick Ohana playing out any other way.

And most importantly... the next episode preview people. Seriously. Was that Ohana's mom who showed up in there? And is that yet another guy? Will episode 11 put the "drama" in "family drama"? (I still wonder if Ohana's father will end up playing a role in this story at some point...)

Quote:
Usually I really adore these sorts of episodes, but taken in context of the entire series, it doesn't quite work as well.

For one thing, I almost feel like this was a natural lead up from episodes 1 and 2, except we were missing episodes in between that and episode 10. This Ohana is the same Ohana who we knew in episodes 1 and 2. The Ohana in episodes 3-9 is a far different, more evolved Ohana (A more boring one I must say as well).

Now it's not that I have a problem with this sort of Ohana, and if she stayed this way for the rest of the series, I'd be more than satisfied. It's just that again this show expresses a freaking IDENTITY CRISIS.
I didn't have an issue with this, probably because I interpret her like mindovermatter does... she's insecure when she stops to think, which is probably why she's so prone to throwing herself into things and trying to be useful to others.

No really. This is the Ohana we came to knew in episodes 1 and 2. The same sort of paranoid, insecure Ohana that frankly is a little emotionally frustrated inside, despite the cheerful appearance on the outside. The Ohana in episodes 3-9 was more of a bullheaded girl who charged into situations no matter how silly, and was trying to be everyone's helper girl. She wasn't very emotionally complex at all. Really, while such characters are not necessarily bad, I much prefer this other Ohana. This Ohana has more depth.

To me, the complex emotions we see in certain episodes explain her impulsive behaviour in the others. Both are needed to see the complete image of who she is.

The problem is trying to connect the two. The world in episodes 3-9 is usually far more zany (At times WAY TOO zany such as 3 and 7). Ohana's personality shifted to match these contrasting sides of the story, but this makes the story feel very unnatural. I mean, there was no good build up from the previous episodes that Ohana was this insecure about her worth to the Inn. It comes off as overwrought, especially considering how useful she was in the last couple episodes where as Guardian Enzo pointed out, she was truly indispensable.

I actually her insecurities about this, largely because it tapped into something I've been wondering: does Kissuiso really have the customer base to support such a large staff? The inn was running fine without her, the circumstances behind her "big damn hero" moment are highly unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Why exactly did Ohana find it necessary to personally chase down Tohru not once, but twice? Is it really such a stretch to think that maybe this means that Ohana does have some interest in Tohru?
I think those scenes foreshadow future developments between the two. However, I don't see how they show her interest in Tohru. There's other reasons that convincingly explain her actions there, and there's almost no notable evidence that she's attracted to him period... whereas there is notable evidence for just about every other attraction in this series.

I still think Ohana is going to be absolutely shocked when she finds out Tohru likes her, and that the immediate impact may well be to convince her to start thinking more seriously about Ko.

Quote:
(whether a 23 year-old lusting after a 16 year-old is creepy is an individual call, I think)
I get the impression there's some cultural relativism at work here too but I don't really have enough evidence to decide. Kimi no Todoke had a teenage girl crushing on a twenty-something guy but that's not really the same thing.

Spoiler for my experiences with people's opinions on this:

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2011-06-06, 03:01   Link #73
taofd

Entire episode felt nostalgic of being sick . I get dream hallucinations when I'm running high fevers and I can definitely empathize with what Ohana was probably feeling.

While I wouldn't take the dream sequences too literally, it does seem like there was some significance with Kou-chan (who knows maybe Hanasaku is about to turn supernatural on us, lol), although only time will tell if it can be directly interpreted as "Ohana choosing Kissuiso over Kou".

An interesting tidbit of dream analysis. It really depends on the individual, but it is possible that Kou is not intended to be a literal representation. Perhaps Ohana's subconscious fears of inadequacies manifested itself as Kou because it is something she is familiar with. Kou represents everything she left behind and which is still a relative "safe haven" for her to escape to if things fail at Kissuiso. This dream may only represent her feelings of solidarity at Kissuiso. It could be a bit of foreshadowing by the author, but it'll take more than this to convince me that Kou is definitely out of the picture. Also the interesting cameo by what appears to be a miko loli and a fox could be a reference to Inari's domain and the warding against of evil spirits or influences (Ohana's fears of inadequacy?).

On a side note: Tohru has officially become a legitimate rival to Kou!

Spoiler for Fox Scene in Ohana dream sequence (joke):
Old 2011-06-06, 03:02   Link #74
icatero
well, okay

Am I the only one who doesn't really care for the pairings this series has to offer? I'd like for the series to continue focusing on Ohana's development and more on her friendship with Minko, Nako, and Yuina, more than anything else.
Old 2011-06-06, 03:16   Link #75
taofd

Quote:
Originally Posted by icatero View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't really care for the pairings this series has to offer? I'd like for the series to continue focusing on Ohana's development and more on her friendship with Minko, Nako, and Yuina, more than anything else.
I don't think the pairings the main attraction to this show, although Ohana's development is probably directly tied into her relationship with Kou-chan. So in that sense, it's still relatively important.
Old 2011-06-06, 04:03   Link #76
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by icatero View Post
No, I'm with you. I couldn't care less whether Ohana ends up with Ko or Tohru either, as both are good guys. I don't mind romance, but I don't want it to hijack the series the same way it has hijacked this forum (much to my dismay). This was primarily a series about growing up and I'd like it to remain that way. If this turns into a romance series, then it'll be my turn to talk about "identity crisis". I hope all this romantic drama is just a phase (a necessary one, romance is part of growing up too) it's going through.

What I really want to happen later on is for the series to focus more on the side characters (and Ohana's relationship with them) - Nako and Yuina in particular are criminally underdeveloped.
Old 2011-06-06, 04:17   Link #77
Irisiel

Am I the only one who is reminded by ARIA? With Ohana/Tooru = Akari/Akatsuki?

Especially now with the suspiciously supernatural foxes/girl in Ohana's dream (kind of like the cats in ARIA). Is it possible that they will go the light fantasy route with this series? (You know, with a few fantasy elements yet without going full on swords and sorcery.)
Old 2011-06-06, 04:23   Link #78
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

perfect episode of drama, character development, awww moments. it was nicely shown that the whole inn cared about her, even when she thought she was a replaceable person in the staff. the ep was well written in the sense you couldn't tell which parts actually happened and which parts were because of her fever. Sort of like in Aria, where Akari would interact have these experiences that seemed supernatural.

i hope the last scene wasn't symbolic of Ohana choosing the inn over Ko. that would be a pretty poorly written romance. Tooru was pretty hilarious this ep though. though i'm sad she didn't actually get to text Ko something. my heart broke when he didn't see her in 9. but seeing as we're not even half way done yet, this romance is far from dead.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-06-06, 06:00   Link #79
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:

I'm going to keep saying it despite people not wanting me to, but really, this show needs to stick with one style or this series will continue to be disorienting, slapping many viewers with jarring shifts in tone, direction, narrative, and characterization.
In all honesty, I think you are wrong.

Look back to how Ohana was characterized thus far, from episode one to nine. It's not like she has suddenly changed from one personality to the other, she was always this girl who tries to do her best to help others, despite her own insecurities, and rushes into things without thinking them through.

In the very first episode, when she got to Kissuiso, how the first thing she had done was take out what she thought was weed from the garden. It was a very silly thing to do, especially when she should have logically went inside to introduce herself first, but she still done it. Or how she took Minchi's blanket and hung it outside the Inn's window, or how she asked to be punished as well when Minchi was slapped. Or even when she tried to defend her when Tooru was scolding her.

Ohana was always bullheaded, from the very start. She just didn't show it much at the beginning because she was new at Kissuiso, and had no idea how to act with this group of people she was going to be living with. The longer she stayed there, the more confidante she grew with her headstrong attitude and forcing her way and view.

This started in the second episode. Throughout it, she was frustrated that no matter what she does, she gets nothing but problems. She tries to take her frustration on trimming the grass, she is told not to be haughty. She tries to clean one of the rooms, she gets accused that she lost something. She tries to lie to protect Nako, Nako goes and continues to ignore her. At that point she says screw it and decided to face the two of them head on and make them agree to not avoid her.

So instead of Ohana shifting her personality, I see it as something that she gradually developed and became more apparent the more and more she stayed with the rest of the staff. I honestly think you are getting too hung up on the change in the tone of the story that you think that the characters themselves are changing, when they are developing all the same.

Now the point about Ohana questioning her worth to Kissuiso not having much build up, I agree. Ohana these past episodes had been always over confidante and let nothing stop her that we didn't really get a good feel for her expressing any doubts on being that essential to the Inn, but I disagree on saying it was overwrought, at least the way it was presented in this episode.

The way Ohana came to the fear that she wasn't useful was due to how everyone assured her that everyone was handling everything fine without her. Being sick, she felt that despite the hard work she put in, waking up early, and trying her best, nothing would be lost if she was gone. So she was very conflicted in what to feel, she was clearly happy that nothing wrong happened due to her illness, but at the same time she felt disappointed that she wasn't needed (we can also say that her fever made her more emotional as well, so she wasn't really thinking clearly).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I actually her insecurities about this, largely because it tapped into something I've been wondering: does Kissuiso really have the customer base to support such a large staff? The inn was running fine without her, the circumstances behind her "big damn hero" moment are highly unusual.
The way I see it, this episode sort of answers this question. The Inn can run without her the same as it did back then, but there would be a loss of a morale among the staff.

I think that the biggest change Ohana had brought was make the entire staff feel more like a family more than anything, so while it's not necessarily a major change to the Inn, it's certainly a positive one.

Quote:
Am I the only one who is reminded by ARIA?
No I also thought this episode was very Aria like as well. That being said I don't think we are going into low fantasy with this series (or at least, we aren't going to see anything concrete about the supernatural here.)
Old 2011-06-06, 06:09   Link #80
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
In all honesty, I think you are wrong.

Look back to how Ohana was characterized thus far, from episode one to nine. It's not like she has suddenly changed from one personality to the other, she was always this girl who tries to do her best to help others, despite her own insecurities, and rushes into things without thinking them through.

In the very first episode, when she got to Kissuiso, how the first thing she had done was take out what she thought was weed from the garden. It was a very silly thing to do, especially when she should have logically went inside to introduce herself first, but she still done it. Or how she took Minchi's blanket and hung it outside the Inn's window, or how she asked to be punished as well when Minchi was slapped. Or even when she tried to defend her when Tooru was scolding her.

Ohana was always bullheaded, from the very start. She just didn't show it much at the beginning because she was new at Kissuiso, and had no idea how to act with this group of people she was going to be living with. The longer she stayed there, the more confidante she grew with her headstrong attitude and forcing her way and view.

This started in the second episode. Throughout it, she was frustrated that no matter what she does, she gets nothing but problems. She tries to take her frustration on trimming the grass, she is told not to be haughty. She tries to clean one of the rooms, she gets accused that she lost something. She tries to lie to protect Nako, Nako goes and continues to ignore her. At that point she says screw it and decided to face the two of them head on and make them agree to not avoid her.

So instead of Ohana shifting her personality, I see it as something that she gradually developed and became more apparent the more and more she stayed with the rest of the staff. I honestly think you are getting too hung up on the change in the tone of the story that you think that the characters themselves are changing, when they are developing all the same.

Now the point about Ohana questioning her worth to Kissuiso not having much build up, I agree. Ohana these past episodes had been always over confidante and let nothing stop her that we didn't really get a good feel for her expressing any doubts on being that essential to the Inn, but I disagree on saying it was overwrought, at least the way it was presented in this episode.

The way Ohana came to the fear that she wasn't useful was due to how everyone assured her that everyone was handling everything fine without her. Being sick, she felt that despite the hard work she put in, waking up early, and trying her best, nothing would be lost if she was gone. So she was very conflicted in what to feel, she was clearly happy that nothing wrong happened due to her illness, but at the same time she felt disappointed that she wasn't needed (we can also say that her fever made her more emotional as well, so she wasn't really thinking clearly).
The way I see it, this episode sort of answers this question. The Inn can run without her the same as it did back then, but there would be a loss of a morale among the staff.

I think that the biggest change Ohana had brought was make the entire staff feel more like a family more than anything, so while it's not necessarily a major change to the Inn, it's certainly a positive one.

No I also thought this episode was very Aria like as well. That being said I don't think we are going into low fantasy with this series (or at least, we aren't going to see anything concrete about the supernatural here.)
I agree with everything here.

Furthermore, considering my favorite parts of the episode are when everyone one was visiting her one by one and showing their concern for her in their individual ways, I think it goes so far into saying that she's actually an integral part of the Kissuiso family and not just someone who came and suddenly started working there. Really if the inn was fine without her and they never needed her, then there wouldn't have been any point actually actively helping her if the doctor said the fever would go away on itself. They were actively making her comfortable and helping her out despite having their own work and tasks to do. This shows that she is, indeed, part of this family. They need for her and care for her.

She's part of this family now.
Closed Thread