AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2018-05-31, 21:41   Link #1
all_flying

Isekai Manga?

I'm a time traveller from two years ago. So, I don't really know how much your fatigue in this theme but I'm still fresh. And becquse two latest series I'm following rn are isekai. So, maybe I'll look around what I can find this time around. Okay, let's jam:
  • Have decent amount of chapters. Or has long pages per chapter. 20 ch or more if it was new.
  • Male-demographic and hetero main romance subplot.
  • Decent or better artwork
  • No fun allowed (things like "became onsen in isekai world", "became farmer in isekai world", "purifying demons trough sex", etc...joke themes like that)
  • Fantasy to fantasy is allowed (from one fantasy world to another).
  • Preferably, something with solid world-building/lore-building or has 'weight' of living in another world like Grimgar Fantasy and Ash (R.I.P forever) or something more grounded like re:ze- I mean, Isekai Meikyuu... (I forgot the rest of it's title) yes, I know it has funny name etc, but it's way more down-to-earth than anything I've read (except Grimgar). The guy is really just flesh and bones, his "cheats" are just one high grade sword (high-grade but far cry from being "broken") and ability to view game UI. The rest really just like us in MMO games, grinding, grinding, day-in, day-out until level up and until we're able to buy what we wanted. No magical bs, no luck (or not-luck) bs. His first love interest was literally a slave (with no social status whatsoever) whom he bought trough his hard earned work.
  • Last but not least, give reasons or short review why you recommend it. Don't just list it.

Okay, that's all I think. I prefer an original work if possible (not an adaptation of a LN or somthing). But, I'll take what I can get.

Last edited by all_flying; 2018-06-01 at 01:38.
all_flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-31, 23:22   Link #2
BWTraveller
Born to ship

First I think of is The Rising of the Shield Hero. This one is definitely low on "fun". The main character is a Japanese otaku sent to another world, where he is one of four summoned "heroes", each possessing a Holy Weapon with which they are all supposed to fight waves of destruction hitting the world. His "weapon" is, like the title suggests, a shield, and he's unable to equip any other weapons, meaning he has no attack power. Only one person agrees to travel with him, and she only does this to rob him blind and frame him as a rapist, immediately demonizing him in everyone's eyes. He's completely crushed and wanders in despair and drowning in hate, until he somehow scrounges up some money and a slave trader sells him a little tanuki-girl who fights for him. The world is quite grim in places, especially early on. Some things do eventually start to look up for the hero, but by then it's only become too obvious just how hopeless the situation is and how completely unequipped his fellow "heroes" are to handle it. The series story is quite long and involved, spanning multiple worlds and involving a broad range of characters, some good, some bad, some simply forced to be enemies. I'd recommend the light novel over the manga, but both are awesome.

Mushoku Tensei also might fit your desires. It starts out rather peaceful with a fat old hikikomori dying and coming back in another world, living a peaceful life with various interesting potential future love-interests. Then a bizarre disaster engulfs half the continent, randomly transporting everyone caught up in it to different places all over the world, including in the "Demon Continent" filled with monsters and worse. Guess where the hero and the girl he's tutoring are sent. The hero is desperately trying to become a better man than he was in his former world, but it is a truly difficult task and he finds himself frequently screwing up, trying to look cool or make money pull some other selfish schemes, something which has resulted in some really bad situations and cost lives. And I'd call it spoilers that the "human god" is not as nice as he says, but frankly he comes across as about as trustworthy as The Joker. Not as serious as Shield Hero, but pretty good.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-01, 01:37   Link #3
all_flying

Those two are already on my list.

"No fun allowed" doesn't mean it has to be depressing. It just mean, not being overly absurd like those examples I've mentioned before. Sorry for poor choice of words.
all_flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-01, 13:25   Link #4
AnimeFangirl

https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=150134

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_flying View Post
Okay, that's all I think. I prefer an original work if possible (not an adaptation of a LN or somthing). But, I'll take what I can get.
A forlorn wish for 99% of modern isekai manga.
Old 2018-06-01, 19:28   Link #5
Nivek von Beldo

Ride-on-King
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
isekai, manga