AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-03-11, 04:02   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 741 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Pos ting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Spoilers are here! Credit goes to Redon and Aohige from AP for the summary:

-Chapter title is "Usoland the liar". A color page replaces the usual splash page shenanigans this week.

-As Usopp continues to run away (while blaming Franky), Trebol barks orders to the enslaved toys through the PA system. The former humans realize that the commotion must be a revolt, and gain a sliver of hope. Meanwhile, the defeated dwarves are still placing their faith in Usoland, but Trebol tells them that their "hero" is naught but a sham who ran away from them. Usopp, who hears all of this over the PA, agrees with the officer's words.

-Trebol then proceeds to stomp on the unyielding Tontattas. But suddenly, Usopp appears! He confesses to the dwarves that he is no hero, nor is his name Usoland. He is merely Usopp of the Straw-Hat pirates! When Trebol asks him if he returned just to confirm his lies, Usopp tells him he'd rather risk his life than to live with guilt. He also announces that he will truly become a hero now, which all of the factory's toys overhear. He then proceeds to attack Trebol with plant shurikens, which slice the officer in half...!!!

-Meanwhile, back at the palace, Violet tells Luffy of Kyros' past while the man (well, toy) in question is searching for a sword to use. We then enter a flashback where we discover that a 15-year old Kyros gets arrested by king Riku for murder, which was an act of revenge for the death of his friend. He is sentenced to fight in the coliseum, and earns his freedom after gaining 100 wins under his belt. However, the young warrior discovers that he became fond of battle, and decides to stay in the arena. He then accumulates even more victories against powerful opponents from around the world, such as giants and fish-people. In just four years, he has gained the staggering achievement of 1000 victories!

-We later see the younger Kyros visiting the grave of his deceased friend, and finds king Riku there. He finds himself full of guilt, as people will always remember him as a murderer, and wishes that people would forget about him. In an ironic twist, that very same wish is granted decades later, but in the worst way imaginable.......

Heh, I never did lose faith in Usopp. While some people may still be bitter about him remaining a wimp, I knew all along that he wouldn't make such a drastic change in a mere two years' time. I'm glad that he's finally taking on Trebol as well, though it really does look like the sticky man is confirmed to be a logia at this point....

Kyros' story was very interesting, as well. It really does seem like he would be capable of taking on Dofla if he got his human body back. But I wonder if the flashback really ends here....?

Oh, and one last thing, guys:

NO OP NEXT WEEK!

Yes, it's unfortunate, but notice this follows the pattern Oda's been taking since last year where he takes a break every 4 chapters in a row. So while it may be a bummer, I do believe the man deserves his rest.

Last edited by marvelB; 2014-03-12 at 01:43.
Old 2014-03-11, 08:56   Link #2
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

we haven't had an "early" spoiler/summary in awhile
Old 2014-03-12, 01:16   Link #3
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Wednesday and no spoilers

is this related to rumor that manga publishers suing sites for posting spoilers/summary

I thought it was a joke by sankaku
Old 2014-03-12, 01:45   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
Wednesday and no spoilers

is this related to rumor that manga publishers suing sites for posting spoilers/summary

I thought it was a joke by sankaku

No, the spoilers just came out a little later than usual, is all. Not that it matters now though, since I just updated with the summary.
Old 2014-03-12, 02:05   Link #5
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I posted the spoiler summary like an hour later than usual
Not like, you know, a day.
Old 2014-03-12, 03:32   Link #6
The Small One

He should be attacking Sugar instead of Trebol.
Old 2014-03-12, 03:39   Link #7
Homura7

Hey look, Usopp really chickened out and fled, what a coward... NOPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
He should be attacking Sugar instead of Trebol.
Trebol is stomping the dwarves, it takes priority.
Old 2014-03-12, 03:40   Link #8
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
No, the spoilers just came out a little later than usual, is all. Not that it matters now though, since I just updated with the summary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I posted the spoiler summary like an hour later than usual
Not like, you know, a day.
well, had me worried...

I thought there won't be early spoiler anymore
Old 2014-03-12, 05:23   Link #9
Diablerie

Bit dissapointed, thought we were past the flashbacks, but nope. Suppose I'll wait till I see it to properly judge it, but it really feels like the fights should've started 2 or 3 chapters ago.

At least Ussop is finally doing something. He clearly didn't actually cut Trebol in half, does this mean Trebol is actually a logia after all? If so, I genuinely have no idea how Usopp can win this fight, interested in seeing how that goes, at least.
Old 2014-03-12, 05:23   Link #10
noktown

Well I guess the slice in half won't do anything,as Usopp still doesn't control his Haki.

And yeah kind of annoyed by the flashbacks a little myself,I mean Oda's doing flashbacks almost every single arc...
Old 2014-03-12, 05:25   Link #11
marvelB

So I'm looking at the Chinese scans, and..... damn, Aohige was right. Kyros really DOES resemble Dragon! So.... inb4 Kyros is a D, I guess?

But honestly, rather than his appearance, I was more shocked by the fact that he was beating up king Riku with a stick covered with nails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablerie View Post
At least Ussop is finally doing something. He clearly didn't actually cut Trebol in half, does this mean Trebol is actually a logia after all? If so, I genuinely have no idea how Usopp can win this fight, interested in seeing how that goes, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
Well I guess the slice in half won't do anything,as Usopp still doesn't control his Haki.

I honestly don't think haki is even necessary to win against Trebol. Like I said a few times in some of the past threads, I can see him getting beaten if his sticky body is dried up somehow. Also recall that his goo is flammable.... a fact that Usopp can most definitely take advantage of.
Old 2014-03-12, 06:01   Link #12
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Shiruto View Post
Trebol is stomping the dwarves, it takes priority.
I think he stopped killing dwarves when Usopp appeared and started his talk.
What good is it to fight (and maybe even win) against Trebol, if afterwards Sugar orders all the toys to attack Usopp or even turns him into a toy?
On the other hand if he takes out Sugar, he suddenly gains dozens of allies who can help him fight against Trebol.
So I still think it would be the better decision to target Sugar first.

BTW, I think the summary in the first post is wrong: It's not Violett telling Luffy about Cyros, it's the toy soldier's own reminiscence.
Old 2014-03-12, 06:37   Link #13
Diablerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I honestly don't think haki is even necessary to win against Trebol. Like I said a few times in some of the past threads, I can see him getting beaten if his sticky body is dried up somehow. Also recall that his goo is flammable.... a fact that Usopp can most definitely take advantage of.
True, didn't think of that, could be another type-trump situation like with Crocodile and Enel.

He doesn't even need to beat Trebol, really, only Sugar. Once she's down, there's an army of experienced gladiators ready to take down Trebol.
Old 2014-03-12, 07:12   Link #14
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

i still find usopp more annoying than ever after this arc... i mean he keeps lying to every new person/group he meets about how he's super strong, a legend, a hero, etc... when he's really one of the weakest members of the crew... almost every single time it has come back to bite him in the butt at the end... it's time he learns not to be fake all the time. It was the same thing with sanji's "thing" for women and how he would get so much nose bleed... first couple of times it was funny then it just got downright irritating. Oda has a bad habit of beating a dead horse...

btw, it's time to find out if anyone besides the trio has haki
Old 2014-03-12, 07:36   Link #15
Vree

Was that entire sequence really neccessary? We already had enough of coward Usopp during the first chapters. We even had scenes when he wanted to act like a coward but overcame it when everyone was depending on him or when he had to save the day.
I don't think repeating that routine does anything interesting for the story.

Now, if it was a set-up to show his Sogeking persona, or to show how his thought process changed after the timeskip...Or even better: if it served to teach a lesson to the tiny guys about not to trust/rely on heroes, but to stand for themselves (that'd serve a purpose, because it'd mean they can fight for themselves the next time and don't have to wait for a hero)...that'd serve a purpose.

This one is more like Oda wanted to give him his obligatory spotlight scene but didn't have a good idea so he reused an old classic that is actually not all that interesting. Lazy lazy Oda.
Old 2014-03-12, 08:01   Link #16
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

well trebol is paramecia right?

I had a feeling that he could re-connect his severed body together again due to the "sticky" property of his DF
Old 2014-03-12, 08:06   Link #17
Homura7

This is what you get for doubting Usopp. He always stands out when you less expect.
Old 2014-03-12, 08:12   Link #18
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Usopp just hit back just like he used to do... although this time he did it faster

Curos' past is interesting.... now I want to see how he met Rebecca's mom

One Piece always take a break in perfect time... damn!
Old 2014-03-12, 09:27   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Sigh, this is such a boring and tired development. Oda always uses the same tricks to make Usopp shine, and it stopped working ages ago. It's been 741 chapters, it's time to try something new. At least he didn't spend to much time on this pointless sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Shiruto View Post
This is what you get for doubting Usopp. He always stands out when you less expect.
Nobody doubted him. You completely missed the point of the conversation in the last thread. And when you less expect? Do you seriously think anybody did not expect him to come back? It's been done countless times before, everybody knew how this would play out, and that's exactly the problem. This has been overdone to death.
Old 2014-03-12, 09:33   Link #20
Homura7

Then get accustomed to it, for you're going to see similar situations like this many times.

Usopp's character works this way: when he's around reliable comrades he's brave and cool; when he's by himself he tends to chicked out and run at any given moment.

Usopp's dream, I remind all of you, is to become a brave warrior, something that is far from being achieved. He will stay the coward he's, until the very last arc.

It's getting boring you say? Maybe, but it doesn't make it any less enjoyable, at least for me.
Closed Thread