AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2013-01-20, 17:49   Link #2121
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Yeah, I think those illustrations are from quite a while back, actually. They're in R07's style, but not actually drawn by him.
Old 2013-01-20, 18:13   Link #2122
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joly View Post
I asked WarriorKK about those jacket covers awhile back, but they're actually illustrated by someone named 南向春風. Not R07. But I do think R07's drawings are lovely as sketches. You should see his character sketches in one of the Higurashi books. In my opinion, he just needs work on choosing a good coloring style that works well with his drawings.
Oh, woops. But I was mainly judging off the Umineko art which he did do I'm sure?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 18:55   Link #2123
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Yes, he did the art for the Higurashi, Umineko, Higanbana, and some of the characters in the Rose Guns Days PC visual novels.
Old 2013-01-20, 18:59   Link #2124
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

The coloring done in RGD is pretty much perfect, making his characters look pretty good. The coloring done in Umineko is average, and the Higurashi one is a bit bad, but the coloring done in Higanbana... my God, it's awful!
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 19:03   Link #2125
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Hmmm, perhaps I've been working on the game too long, but I think Higanbana's colouring is quite decent in-game. It kinda fits in with the tone of the story, as well as the background images.

I think some of the sprites in Higurashi look a bit weird. I always think that Keiichi looks a bit like an alien…
Old 2013-01-21, 04:42   Link #2126
Joly
モエカステル

R07's drawings always seem to come out better when someone else colors them. Here's some pictures of his drawings from the Higurashi Character Guide Book. He did the drawings... but a different person did the coloring.

Spoiler for large images:
Joly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 04:48   Link #2127
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joly View Post
R07's drawings always seem to come out better when someone else colors them. Here's some pictures of his drawings from the Higurashi Character Guide Book. He did the drawings... but a different person did the coloring.

Spoiler for large images:
Yea, lineart and coloring are almost 2 seperate beasts. Lineart is more technical, but coloring is just kinda do what you want after basic color theory and light science... blind leap of faith. My coloring is way poopoo to my pencilwork
Old 2013-01-21, 13:14   Link #2128
TheGuraGuraMan

For me, Higurashi's and Umineko's both have a huge problem : Proportion, or even just cohesion between the sprites. For example, just compare Chie's, Rena's, Irie's and Takano's. Alone, they're not THAT bad, but when you compare the proportions... Rena's head is huge compared to the rest, and Takano placement is weird when we compare it to Irie's (especially in doc suits).

Same for Umineko, what the fuck about Lambda being as big/tall as Beato, Battler and Goat Kun ?

On the other hand, it was okay in Higanbana.
TheGuraGuraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 13:24   Link #2129
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Speaking of sprites, some people might be interested to see this earlier version of Satoko's sprite:

(Left: Original version; Right: Revised version.)

In the original, you can see that Satoko's legs are in a VERY awkward position. How is she even standing up?! It probably looked awkward enough for the sprite to be moved down slightly, cropping the legs.

Also, the grey tie probably looked too dull. I think the yellow tie looks better.
Old 2013-01-21, 19:05   Link #2130
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
Speaking of sprites, some people might be interested to see this earlier version of Satoko's sprite:

(Left: Original version; Right: Revised version.)

In the original, you can see that Satoko's legs are in a VERY awkward position. How is she even standing up?! It probably looked awkward enough for the sprite to be moved down slightly, cropping the legs.

Also, the grey tie probably looked too dull. I think the yellow tie looks better.
Yea the yellow tie looks way better. And Im surprised he didnt just fix the legs instead of cropping.
Old 2013-01-21, 19:26   Link #2131
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

I don't think I've posted these before, but sorry if I have.

Here's an early image used on the 07th Storming Party website, probably around the time Higurashi was first announced, as a sort of placeholder. The photo was apparently just grabbed from the Internet somewhere and a primitive sort of logo superimposed on it:

And here's an early version of the title screen. I quite like the background image used. I prefer the final logo, though:

Old 2013-01-21, 19:32   Link #2132
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Yeah, this beta logo is too... generic, and bland. The final logo manages to be both simple, recognizable and good-looking.
Old 2013-01-22, 13:25   Link #2133
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Why change Rena's originally long skirt into a 3 inch long one in everything else but the orig game?? Its supposed to be as long as mions.
They changed it because she is not wearing any panties.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 05:19   Link #2134
Draugur

I have a question again, although I'm sure it has been asked before (sorry):

Rika enters the Minagoroshi and the Matsuribayashi scenarios one or two weeks before the Watanagashi in Shouwa 58. How could she warn Akasaka to go back to Tokyo in these scenarios?
Draugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 07:53   Link #2135
battle22

And I also have a question... XD , In Matsuribayashi Anime, Rika and Hanyuu are talking that 'With this , Everything is ready and this time they can win against Takanos will' ,But Rika forgets about Takano later? (This scene end the 'Piece connecting' part in the Original VN). This scene really bugs me lol.
Old 2013-01-28, 09:23   Link #2136
UmiLion
Witch Of Love

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE HIGURASHI PC SPRITES ARE?I know R07 allows people to use them. Does anyone know where they are? If not, does anyone know how to extract it?
UmiLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 11:07   Link #2137
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

We can't tell you how to extract them, but all graphics are in the data02000.arc file (if you're with the official english release) or the usual arc files (if you're with the japanese version).
Old 2013-01-29, 14:26   Link #2138
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugur View Post
I have a question again, although I'm sure it has been asked before (sorry):

Rika enters the Minagoroshi and the Matsuribayashi scenarios one or two weeks before the Watanagashi in Shouwa 58. How could she warn Akasaka to go back to Tokyo in these scenarios?
I believe that has indeed been asked before, but I'll try to answer it.

First, take a look at this rubbish diagram I just drew:

(Click for larger image.)

The way I see it, Himatsubushi takes place before any of the other arcs (from Rika's point of view), when Rika still had the ability to travel back to the time when Akasaka visited Hinamizawa for the first time. In that scenario, Rika was not able to get Akasaka to return to Tokyo. However, in another scenario, Akasaka does return to Tokyo. This is the last time Rika goes back that far, and so the fact that Akasaka returns to Tokyo 'sticks'. In other words, Akasaka will always return to Tokyo in all future scenarios. All the other arcs branch off this scenario.

This is how, in Minagoroshi and Matsuribayashi, Akasaka has been warned. Please let me know if my explanation still doesn't make sense. I can try to explain it a bit clearer when I'm not trying to type things out on a rubbish iPad on-screen keyboard.
Old 2013-01-29, 16:17   Link #2139
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wasn't there one that takes place after the incidents were Akasaka trains more and wishes he could have saved Rika? He's visited by Hanyuu for some reason if I recall.
Old 2013-01-29, 16:22   Link #2140
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Hmmm, I think that took place at the beginning of Matsuribayashi, before the connecting-the-pieces thing. You could say that was an extension of Himatsubushi. The main part of Matsuribayashi (after the connecting-the-pieces) is a separate branch along the "yes" fork in my diagram.