AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-01-30, 15:14   Link #9821
Gundamx

whatever they are male or female
-> as long as you are strong mage = you need to marry another strong mage.
because strong 2 mage -> 99% will have strong kid = useful to country and clan when he/she become adult

-> and that why novel said usa struggle at first because people don't like that kind of marriage

even tetsuya -> if he become known as strong mage = he will have to marry another strong mage even if it was loveless marriage like his parent.

Edit
though since they are from fourth clan which is interesting in genetic development
=
I won't get surprise even if they are married to different people,
fourth clan will still try to have tetsuya child with miyuki
(using something like In-vitro-Fertilisation )

Last edited by Gundamx; 2014-01-30 at 15:27.
Old 2014-01-31, 01:33   Link #9822
rickiminato

when are release the volume 13?
Old 2014-01-31, 02:10   Link #9823
Verisimilitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiminato View Post
when are release the volume 13?
They're aiming for April.
Old 2014-01-31, 05:56   Link #9824
Hokoga

April huh... that seems like a long time to wait.
But I'm guessing this has something to do with the anime coming out, I just hope it's worth it.
Old 2014-01-31, 06:36   Link #9825
fujin of shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokoga View Post
April huh... that seems like a long time to wait.
But I'm guessing this has something to do with the anime coming out, I just hope it's worth it.
Every night that I go to bed, I pray all the Gods that I know that the anime would be a success.....
Old 2014-01-31, 06:46   Link #9826
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujin of shadows View Post
Every night that I go to bed, I pray all the Gods that I know that the anime would be a success.....
It better be...
Old 2014-01-31, 07:04   Link #9827
BlueDanube

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujin of shadows View Post
i not really hope that because there are so many haters too similar like SAO. Mahouka is also Atlas Shrugged Light novel but i think the DVD + BD may sales about 10k copies.
Old 2014-01-31, 07:09   Link #9828
ahmadyazidozi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucarion View Post
It better be...
yeah, i've seen great Novels stories but just got a so so Anime, that just a let down.
but, yeah, it is harder to totally gives you the "feeling" of awesomeness when we read the book.
Old 2014-01-31, 07:48   Link #9829
Noble101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDanube View Post
i not really hope that because there are so many haters too similar like SAO. Mahouka is also Atlas Shrugged Light novel but i think the DVD + BD may sales about 10k copies.
I already see some people on other forums already hating claiming it will be the SAO of 2014 and how it will be hyped.
Old 2014-01-31, 07:52   Link #9830
Requiem-x
The slacking one

In my experience, infodumps don't translate well into anime, so the first episodes should recieve a very cold reception. Of course, Miyuki should help ease some audiences in, but its impossible to know exactly to what degree.
Old 2014-01-31, 10:30   Link #9831
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble101 View Post
I already see some people on other forums already hating claiming it will be the SAO of 2014 and how it will be hyped.
They're fools. Every single one of them...I know this is just the fanboy in me talking, but personally speaking, this series deserves all the love it gets from me. And I'd be damned if I let some plebs who just parrot what a bunch of ignoramus say and never even bother to read past the first or second volumes stop me.

Let's talk about SAO a bit. This may seem off topic, but I think it's relevant, so bear with me.

I thought the SAO anime was going to usher in a new era of LN adaptations and a market for the medium in the west. I loved the first volume despite all the cliches, and I liked the 2nd volume sides stories well enough.

It was really only in Fairy Dance that everything started going downhill. I never read past the first few chapters of that because I thought the story lost it's whole purpose for being--but I didn't think it was bad, I haven't read the whole thing, I just lost interest. I tried to watch the anime...the pacing was horrendous in the first half, but at least it wasn't as bad as the damn second half where I facepalmed EVERY.SINGLE. EPISODE. SAO was a harem story that pretended to be something else. I still look at it fondly, but I don't deny it had a good amount of problems. Fairy Dance also proved that Reki never meant for SAO to get that popular. He had to write more than what he had in mind for it, but he had to come up with something and this was the best he could do. And then the problems started pouring.

But Mahouka is different. Completely different. At first, I thought it was OK. Decent story, excellent world building, but so far it had nothing to make it stand out other than all the lovey-dovey siscon-brocon moments. It also looked like it was going to go harem. After all, it was set in a school, and those stories usually turn up like that. I was also of the opinion then that Tatsuya's OPness may be a problem and that maybe Miyuki was being used to project the author's ideals into her. Also, because incest seems to be selling these days, the siscon-brocon relationship is just another gimmick to get more readers.

Oh how wrong I was.

Mahouka is the anti-SAO. It looked like another magic shounen action series...and turned into something MUCH more engaging. It's ambitious, audacious and grand in scale. With each arc, the conflict grows bigger, and bigger, and bigger...Let's look at Blanche. International terrorist organization. In another story with another set of characters, they would have made pretty decent villains, good for 6 volumes maybe. Good for a long arc. To Tatsuya and the gang...they're slime. Small fry. Not worth their time. Just a nuisance and it turns out inequality wasn't really that big of a problem--it's just a natural by product of this competence-driven world and really only happens in places where magic is the central focus. Everywhere else, it's the magicians who often get the short end of the stick. OK, now let's go to 9 Schools. No Head Dragon. International Crime Syndicate. Much bigger threat than Blanche and they're trying to commit mass murder. Tatsuya hunted them down, made them cry mercy and played with them like mice. Come Yokohama...and people start getting a better idea of what this story actually is. Now Tatsuya is against an army...and he obliterated them.

Now we know where Tatsuya truly stands in the world. As the One Above All. The world he belongs in is the world of international war and conflict--not highschool, and even the highschool here turned out to be closer to a military training facility than an actual school. This isn't a story about someone getting stronger--this is a story of interests vs interests. Power vs power. And the growth here is more about Tatsuya learning to be kinder and more human...and maybe getting even stronger.(which then forces us to ask how much more powerful can he be when he's already as he is now).

His peers aren't his classmates. School was just a nice little distraction for him, we hardly get that many scenes set in the school anyway other than the more light-hearted moments. No, his peers are the Apostles, the Sages, the Clan Heads, entire countries and organizations. His concerns are not those of a normal high-school student but the concerns of a great scientist, a soldier, even those of a leader. His concerns are the concerns of those with power and influence. Harem? The other girls have other love interests, and to the few girls who are interested in him romantically--he's quite plainly not very interested, or even incapable of seeing them as romantic partners.

His OPness? Not only completely justified by the circumstances surrounding him, it was completely intentional. It was the whole point. Tatsuya is a being pure power and strength. That's why the story asks the right questions: power isn't everything. Being able to get rid of anyone you want isn't going to solve the cause of the problems. Patience and pragmatism is important. And the more powerful you are the more necessary it is to have control over yourself-- to be like Tatsuya, who can't and won't let his emotions overwhelm or dictate his actions because his perfect logic knows that to do so would be to invite unnecessary trouble. (He also embodies the "cut the bullshit, stop whining, and get to work" mentality--something I personally admire). Mahouka is very self-aware, some characters know just how broken he is--some react with horror, some with awe, some try to joke about it, and some try to limit him or neutralize the threat he poses. Tatsuya's very presence is unsettling. Mayumi even mentions that he should be an impossible existence. If he was just smart, it would have been enough to call him exceptional, but he's also absurdly powerful to the point that he's beyond definition. Those who have to face him and are aware of what he is know better than to go against him head-on. Instead they use strategy and the complexity of human circumstances to deal with him, and some of them, like the Yotsuba, succeeded in controlling him--at least for now. In the battle for his own freedom Tatsuya loses because someone else knows how to get him to work for their interests.

Miyuki's beauty? Same reasons with Tatsuya--it was done for a purpose and to hammer in the point that she and her brother are "Irregular". Impossible existences. People too good, too strong, too...different and absurd to be real yet are. That, and the fact that Miyuki's given a good number of other character traits that make her one of the more engaging and undeniably badass characters for me. And her brocon too is there to strike a point--the reasons for it and how it affects the actual plot makes it unique. Miyuki might even be the reason Tatsuya's a benevolent force in the world, because it is only through her urging and involvement that gets him to move and act. It's not (just) there to sell more copies--it's there for plot reasons.

I'm a writer too. Not a very good one, but because of it I do appreciate skill when I see it. Mahouka was written with skill. Everything I've seen so far points to it being meticulously planned and patiently executed. The later volumes practically force you to reread the earlier novels to see just how much of this was planned from the start. With a goal in mind. With a point. People talk about stuff that only become relevant in later volumes. You end up enjoying the first volumes more when you know what is actually happening. Things take a darker and deeper dimension when new information is revealed. The fact that Tsutomu has a good idea for how many volumes his story might need points to him knowing what to do and how to end this. He just needs to keep typing. And if he keeps this up...Mahouka may very well end as a modern day epic.

Last edited by Lucarion; 2014-01-31 at 11:37.
Old 2014-01-31, 10:41   Link #9832
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDanube View Post
Don't compare this to Atlas Shrugged dude. Just don't. It doesn't fit.
Old 2014-01-31, 10:45   Link #9833
Ultragunner

^

Can I copy your post and throw it in the faces of those noobs who dare compare SAO and Mahouka???? This can come in handy when the anime come out
Old 2014-01-31, 10:51   Link #9834
Breimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble101 View Post

i already see people on my country's forums calling it a fantasy ore no imouto (not in a positive way)
Old 2014-01-31, 11:01   Link #9835
bones

Well, I find Miyuki to be the most unrelatable, fictional little sister ever. She ruins the whole story for me. The author went out of his way to make magic physics of Mahouka as logical as possible and then when he came to the characterization for Miyuki, he somehow flipped and made her into a little sister so fantastic she seems unreal and out of place.
Old 2014-01-31, 11:08   Link #9836
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
^

Can I copy your post and throw it in the faces of those noobs who dare compare SAO and Mahouka???? This can come in handy when the anime come out
Be my bloody guest. Use my words as your own.
Old 2014-01-31, 11:19   Link #9837
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
Well, I find Miyuki to be the most unrelatable, fictional little sister ever. She ruins the whole story for me. The author went out of his way to make magic physics of Mahouka as logical as possible and then when he came to the characterization for Miyuki, he somehow flipped and made her into a little sister so fantastic she seems unreal and out of place.
Like Tatsuya. It's the whole point. Her devotion to him is an important part of her character, and it's not like they were always like this. Miyuki admires power and competence...Tatsuya is those two traits personified. He showed her he can do the "impossible" and that he's matchless. She understands him better than anyone else. She believes he's the most amazing being in the universe, and is determined to get the world to see that and loathes that hypocrisy that they can still look down on him despite his wonder. She loves him like a fanatic. I think that's hella interesting.
Old 2014-01-31, 11:29   Link #9838
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
Also, Parvati (Shakti). A lot of her character starts to make an absurd amount of sense when you read about Parvati (Shakti).
Old 2014-01-31, 11:39   Link #9839
bones

Ok all this talk about Parvati and whatnot do not make me see Miyuki's characterization as sensible whatsoever. Parvati is a goddess, I don't expect her to have human norms of behavior unlike Miyuki whose behavior is so out there that I just can't relate to her. At least Tatsuya's behavior is explained away by the fact that he's mentally and emotionally damaged by the experiment that his mother and aunt inflicted on him. All we have to explain Miyuki's behavior is that because Tatsuya saved her, her life now must be dedicated to him entirely.
Old 2014-01-31, 11:47   Link #9840
Hiyono

Not quite sure how Mahouka would work as an anime; it relies so heavily on omniscient narrator exposition to explain everything. Depending on how it's done, you'd potentially miss out on all of that. That'd make it extremely difficult to understand anything about both the magic system and the characters.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings