Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2008-05-28, 06:07   Link #101
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
One more off-topic note on the matter.

I don't find the term "loli" holds any bad meanings at all. It is the people who think that way which makes it mean bad. I just use it to describe young girls in anime with none of those thoughts in mind.

An with that I think that the loli tag for Kurenai isn't wrong at all (amd may I say that I see no sexual development with the little girl character in the series at all).

And about it being misleading I also don't see that, but then it depends on how you look at the term, it may just turn some others away (like how a person will never touch anything with the tag mecha no matter how good it is).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 12:37   Link #102
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I don't believe that to be the case at all. For once, the suggestions forum allows for personal input. People like personal input from others. Secondly, most people truly don't seem very sure about what exactly they are looking for (Here is the list of what i have watched and liked, suggest something similar). It also allows one to ask for more specific plot details or unorthodox elements within a show that wouldn't be covered by general tags. So no, introducing the tag system (which is basically and advanced search system without the flexibility a human response can provide) would not render the Suggestions forum obsolete. The functions of the two are not as directly interchangeable as it might seem at first glance.
I see. Thanks for answering Skyfall
Old 2008-05-28, 14:43   Link #103
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
One more off-topic note on the matter.

I don't find the term "loli" holds any bad meanings at all. It is the people who think that way which makes it mean bad. I just use it to describe young girls in anime with none of those thoughts in mind.

An with that I think that the loli tag for Kurenai isn't wrong at all (amd may I say that I see no sexual development with the little girl character in the series at all).

And about it being misleading I also don't see that, but then it depends on how you look at the term, it may just turn some others away (like how a person will never touch anything with the tag mecha no matter how good it is).
The way I see this is I don't think about what I think, but I think about what others think. Will others think and search for "loli"? I'm thinking yes, so I'm not going to think about if I think loli has any meaning, but if I think people will search for it, then I don't mind. If we get "technical" with Kurenai, then sure, lose the loli. However, it will just cause inconvenience for others.

Oh, and I'm not disagreeing with you dkz, but quoting you makes life so much easier.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 15:16   Link #104
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:

Quote:
Loli is an affectionate English term for young girls
The problem is that the word "loli" has connotations that have to do with a particular fandom and a particular stereotype--in this I disagree with Toua, because lolidom, the way I see it, has more to do with the stereotyped characteristics (and, ultimately, the fetish) of a character which, among several other qualities, looks like a child. Even if Murasaki is a 7-year old kid, she doesn't conform to the loli stereotype at all, and the show is not based around her conforming to that, either. Even more, there are lots of loli characters who aren't really kids--I can think of a few examples of teenagers and 20-something women that are portrayed in the loli way.

I have no problem with lolidom at all... but there are people who're going to read the "loli" tag in Kure-nai and are going to be spooked by it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 16:17   Link #105
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I have no problem with lolidom at all... but there are people who're going to read the "loli" tag in Kure-nai and are going to be spooked by it.
So the question in front of us is: Do we start educating folks how these terms should be used or do we submit to populistic terminology? That's what NeoSam and me and a few others have been getting at for a few days now.
Would be great if someone could code a description field for every tag on top of tag search results pages.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 16:21   Link #106
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

I don't think "educating" (whatever that might mean) is really either feasible, or to put it bluntly, correct. Language is something that changes, and the current signification of "loli" among most of the Western fandom is a useful one, if you ask me, so there's not much point in changing it into a less useful one simply because it's "the Japanese way".

We have other, more common words to define a young girl, such as (drumroll) "young girl". I don't really see the point of making a genre or a categorization out of it.

Old 2008-05-28, 16:53   Link #107
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
The problem is that the word "loli" has connotations that have to do with a particular fandom and a particular stereotype--
Maybe for someone, but maybe not for others is what I am saying.

For me, I can use the term both in a sexual and non sexual contex but I can see where some may just see the former whenever they see the term being used.

I guess the problem here is when tags become misleading and hence putting people off from a series that could have been something they would have liked, but in this case I still believe that the "loli" tag is being used in a literal sense rather than implying something else.

But ofcourse newcomers won't know that and it may drive them off if they don't decide to look further into it. This is where the tricky part comes in.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2008-05-28, 17:14   Link #108
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I think we should just let the tag "loli" alone. Discussions of the subject have never really produced consensus, even though they are sometimes interesting. If we really want to discuss its use as a tag, the small subject could easily deserve its own thread.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 17:15   Link #109
NeoSam

"characters" and "script" tags in the Kure-nai thread:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=48194

>.>
Old 2008-05-28, 17:18   Link #110
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Lol...I don't know whether to laugh or laugh becuase Kurenai is attracting so much attention. I will really laugh if someone is silly enough to put "epix best series this season" tag on next

Old 2008-05-28, 17:30   Link #111
mandarb916

/shrug

Maybe a variation on how niconico tags are used? There's up to 5 tags of 10 that can be locked (in niconico's case by the video uploader) and 5 that can be publically edited. I THINK the locked ones show up first but just speculation, then the public tags show up next in sequence. Have a limit of x tags per thread, and half (theoretical number) be selectable and lockable by mods, and the other half up for grabs for the general viewing populace whether it be for "fun" tags or tag wars w/e with some conditions such as no spoilers or what not.

Personally, I really enjoy user submitted "joke" tags on nico...there've been a couple where i've come across the scenes they're referring to and subsequently spit soda out my nose and what not :P...helps, imho, when tags are up top instead of at the bottom.

cheers~
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 18:32   Link #112
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
Personally, I really enjoy user submitted "joke" tags on nico...there've been a couple where i've come across the scenes they're referring to and subsequently spit soda out my nose and what not :P...helps, imho, when tags are up top instead of at the bottom.
I wouldn't mind "joke" tags provided they are clever and/or funny. That being said the problem I see is that most people aren't as clever and/or funny as they think they are
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 19:53   Link #113
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Maybe a variation on how niconico tags are used? There's up to 5 tags of 10 that can be locked (in niconico's case by the video uploader) and 5 that can be publically edited. I THINK the locked ones show up first but just speculation, then the public tags show up next in sequence. Have a limit of x tags per thread, and half (theoretical number) be selectable and lockable by mods, and the other half up for grabs for the general viewing populace whether it be for "fun" tags or tag wars w/e with some conditions such as no spoilers or what not.
As was mentioned before, the only problem with these sorts of ideas is that the forum software doesn't support it, and hacking the vBulletin code is fairly high-risk (since they could re-write something in the next version without notice) and high cost (at least if you measure it in development time). So while these sorts of ideas are interesting, the most feasible solutions would probably involve finding a way to use/manage what we've got.
Old 2008-05-28, 20:05   Link #114
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
... Have a limit of x tags per thread, and half ... selectable and lockable by mods, and the other half up for grabs for the general viewing populace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
...the most feasible solutions would probably involve finding a way to use/manage what we've got.
Arguably that is basically what we have at the moment, just the numbers are slightly different:
  • Tags per Thread: 25
  • Tags Applied by Thread Starter: 5 (identical to mandarb916's "locked" tags)
  • Tags Applied by Other Users: 2 (per user, until all 25 have been supplied)
The only possible difference is that all the tags are "locked", where as in mandarb916's example there is the suggestion that all "public" tags can be edited by anyone (i.e. removed, which only staff can do here).
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 21:07   Link #115
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Well, now Kurenai is tagged as "shounen"... o.O

Old 2008-05-28, 21:15   Link #116
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
As was mentioned before, the only problem with these sorts of ideas is that the forum software doesn't support it, and hacking the vBulletin code is fairly high-risk (since they could re-write something in the next version without notice) and high cost (at least if you measure it in development time). So while these sorts of ideas are interesting, the most feasible solutions would probably involve finding a way to use/manage what we've got.
Sorry...I don't know much about vbulliten. phpBB could use plugins and had a pretty wide base of plugin coders so I figured if one tag system didn't work, there might be others that might better fit your guys' needs based on the ideas posted in this thread :P From the sounds of it, there aren't many plugins available for VB?
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 22:14   Link #117
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Sorry...I don't know much about vbulliten. phpBB could use plugins and had a pretty wide base of plugin coders so I figured if one tag system didn't work, there might be others that might better fit your guys' needs based on the ideas posted in this thread :P From the sounds of it, there aren't many plugins available for VB?
Well, the current tag system is part of the base architecture and not a plug-in. And since it's a new feature, I haven't seen that many plug-ins for it yet (though I haven't looked very hard!) But from the sounds of things (thanks for that NightWish!) it may actually have more options than I realized, so maybe we're okay after all. Shows how much I know!

If we did do the "public tag" method, I think the "global" ability to remove the public tags would make sense. But I guess it would depend on how we structure the privilege system.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 22:55   Link #118
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
"characters" and "script" tags in the Kure-nai thread:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=48194
I'll own up to those, and I think both terms are appropriate to the show and good examples of what tags can be.

What features of Kure-nai do you think we should use to identify it in a tagging system? I think it's a show about characters with a surprisingly well-written script even in translation. I think other shows like Welcome to the NHK! are also about characters and have above average scripts. From reading the forum for Kure-nai, I'm not the only person who thinks that characterization and scripting are a great deal of what this show is about.

As I suggested in the imported thread, I agree with xris about the importance of developing a common tagging vocabulary. The tagging boxes do offer completions based, I'd assume, on the popularity of tags using the same initial letters. What I don't see yet is how to build a consensus around specific terms.

If anybody can contribute two tags, shouldn't it be possible that some threads will end up with 6, 8, 12 or more tags? What's wrong with some of those tags being terms like "characters" and "script" as well as "light novel," NeoSam?

I'd like to see shows that focus on characters carry a consistent tag for that feature across all forums. I don't know if the word "characters" is the best choice; I was forced to decide on the spot which of a variety of options to use. I don't think "characterization" is a good alternative; it's too long and academic. The singular "character" didn't seem right either. In the end I opted for "characters."

If people continue to discourage the use of tags like these, then I will cease and desist and delete as many such tags as I can recall entering. However, I don't see any other way to encourage the development of a common vocabulary. I'm tossing out terms like "inspirational," "maturation" and "script" because I'm trying to influence the direction of the tagging endeavor. (It's not as megalomaniacal as it sounds.) Hopefully people will see what words others are using to tag threads and adopt the most meaningful ones. Isn't that how this is supposed to work? Survival of the fittest and all that? I just prefer to hang out in the mutated parts of the gene pool because that's where all the evolutionary action is. Some people choose "shounen;" I choose "inspirational." Both those apply to Hikaru no Go, among other shows. If you say "people will be looking for 'shounen' and not 'inspirational'," that depends both on who's looking and on how the distribution of tags is presented to the searcher. Since making it into the top seventy means you appear on the tags.php page, I figured I'd better get "maturation" and "script" out there before the range of choices got too narrow.

I don't think it's feasible to try and draw up a list of recommended tags, either. I thought about whether to first address the question of "appropriate" tags here, but I decided that the only test of a tag's effectiveness is whether others use it. It seems to me the "let a thousand flowers bloom" approach makes the most sense, at least in the near term as we see how tagging shakes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare
Regarding tagging threads in the Suggestion Forum, I must say that it's quite redundant. What the use of tagging "mature" and "romance" in a thread that is entitled, "Looking for mature/romance anime"?
Perhaps because someone searching across all the forums for the tag "mature" might want to see a thread entitled "Looking for mature/romance anime" appear in the list of results? Isn't that what tags are for? If not, then I'm at a loss to understand what they are for.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 01:22   Link #119
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Well, it was inevitable. I've just issued an infraction because of rude tagging.

Just so everyone knows, we have some standards of behavior and language on this forum. These standards apply everywhere on our forum, regardless of whether it is posted in a thread, someone's profile, PMs, tags or anywhere else.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 01:40   Link #120
NeoSam

Quote:
Well, now Kurenai is tagged as "shounen"... o.O
It is a light novel series aimed at teenage boys (shounen).

Tags
feedback, forum upgrade, tags