AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 43 42.57%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 28.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 20.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.95%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.99%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-12-14, 00:47   Link #141
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Sabato View Post
Dispelling the magical force that created Ellis does not equate to negating the force behind the punch. It's the same reason why Touma has to dodge the things Accelerator throws at him cause catching it is supposed to be lethal. I'm calling it a plot win because wow just for some weird reason his ability nulling hand suddenly applied weird science in order for Touma to win.
/sigh... Imagine Breaker does not change specs. These "irregularities" only serve to help explain the mechanics of the Toaru-verse. If you read enough, you'd know we have an entire thread dedicated to this kind of stuff here. Let me spell it out for you:
  • The Golem is a rigid body.
  • It is powered by magic. In fact, it is constantly being supplied with magic in order to even just move an inch.
  • When you take away the magic, it stops. NOTE: Magic force powers it, and the wielder's artifact and markings/runes etc. hold it together.
  • Removing the force here results in zero acceleration (we can't have a zero-mass golem). However, zero acceleration does not equal zero velocity -- this is where floor attachment (pay close attention to the golem's feet) and rigidity come in.
SUMMARY: It doesn't matter if it's throwing a punch, if you take away the magic force it's just solid rock attached to the floor.
DISCLAIMER: Magic does not necessarily follow the physical laws in the Toaru-verse.

Ability Users, on the other hand, try their best to conform to the known and speculative laws/theories. In Accelerator's case, vector manipulation is applied only upon contact with the beams -- much like throwing a rock/pebble etc. However, for more insight and opinions on this matter (including the infamous "blocked railgun slug" panel) I suggest you read this thread thoroughly.

And on this combat experience thing... Does it matter really? I put my pokemon in the daycare, give them a few rare candies, pokewalker -> electric fan, exp share... excluding EV training, they're gonna be much more powerful than when they were recently hatched from eggs a few days ago.

Seriously, Misaka was holding back, just as Harumi was only trying to incapacitate her at most. If Misaka really wanted to kill her, she could have just called down thunder repeatedly, used her rail gun, or do what one of her L3 clones did against Accelerator -- ionize or w/e the air around Kiyama and turn regular atmospheric oxygen (O2) into ozone (O3).
Old 2009-12-14, 03:35   Link #142
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

That weird monster thing at the end was so random. I wonder what it is. I'm goona go with a guess and say all those brainwaves that Harumi took control molded together into a being of its own.

So maybe Saten is inside that monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus17 View Post
Not my favorite episode... 7/10, even 6/10.
The poll says you gave it a 9.

Did your finger slip?

Last edited by Haak; 2009-12-14 at 04:08.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 08:19   Link #143
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
/sigh... Imagine Breaker does not change specs. These "irregularities" only serve to help explain the mechanics of the Toaru-verse. If you read enough, you'd know we have an entire thread dedicated to this kind of stuff here. Let me spell it out for you:
  • The Golem is a rigid body.
  • It is powered by magic. In fact, it is constantly being supplied with magic in order to even just move an inch.
  • When you take away the magic, it stops. NOTE: Magic force powers it, and the wielder's artifact and markings/runes etc. hold it together.
  • Removing the force here results in zero acceleration (we can't have a zero-mass golem). However, zero acceleration does not equal zero velocity -- this is where floor attachment (pay close attention to the golem's feet) and rigidity come in.
SUMMARY: It doesn't matter if it's throwing a punch, if you take away the magic force it's just solid rock attached to the floor.
DISCLAIMER: Magic does not necessarily follow the physical laws in the Toaru-verse.
You're making a lot of speculation on the workings of magic and psychic powers here. Regardless, shouldn't this debate take place in the thread that was created for that purpose? The one you linked?

Quote:

I have one big complaint to the authors, first of all to director and animation director of this episode. Wtf? It was supposed to become a climax, one of the best episodes of the series if not the best - cause it was featuring the best and cutest character of Railgun / Index universe. It was Mikoto's eppie! What I was expecting were a lot of Mikoto's cuteness and lots of action scenes where Mikoto would shine with her beauity and her natural charm (as well as her bravery and her prowess). At least two previous episodes allowed me to hope for this.

But, to my frustration, they changed animation team again. The animation for this episode is a freaking joke! Technically, all is okay. But girls aren't cute! Uiharu isn't cute. And what is the most awful - Mikoto isn't cute, at least not as cute as in previous episode, by far. The problem isn't only the animation of faces, and total absence of Mikoto/Uiharu close-ups, they, the animators, lacked something fundamentally important in their work, as though they over-concentrated on all the action and on plot events and forgot about the thing which is the core of the whole series - about characters cuteness / attractiveness.

Well at least seiyu work was as perfect as ever.
Wait, so you expected an episode which was all about a badass fight to be about cute? I'm afraid I don't follow.

Well, difference in opinion I guess. Mikoto still looks plenty cute to me, in fact I'm having a hard time spotting a lot of differences in animation between this episode and the last.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 10:06   Link #144
Lime soda

Whenever Misaka needs to block an attack, she has to jump out of the way or create a wall from her surroundings. Both of those depend on her awareness and her speed. That just made me think that her defence is somewhat lacking for the third strongest esper of the 7 Level 5's. I'm guessing her signature move is just that destructive enough to make her number 3?

I don't know anything about electricity besides what an average person would know but is a electric barrier not possible? or would Misaka just say it takes too much energy to keep it on?

Maybe she has more hidden cards but I'm surprised Misaka's always so confident in a fight. There were a few of times in the fight where her quick timing saved her from getting a serious injury.
Lime soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 14:40   Link #145
Miraluka
Banned

Red face

Quote:

I have one big complaint to the authors, first of all to director and animation director of this episode. Wtf? It was supposed to become a climax, one of the best episodes of the series if not the best - cause it was featuring the best and cutest character of Railgun universe. It was Mikoto's eppie! What I was expecting were a lot of Mikoto's cuteness and lots of action scenes where Mikoto would shine with her beauity and her natural charm (as well as her bravery and her prowess). At least two previous episodes allowed me to hope for this.

But, to my frustration, they changed animation team again. The animation for this episode is a freaking joke! Technically, all is okay. But girls aren't cute! Uiharu isn't cute. And what is the most awful - Mikoto isn't cute, at least not as cute as in previous episode, by far. The problem isn't only the animation of faces, and total absence of Mikoto/Uiharu close-ups, they, the animators, lacked something fundamentally important in their work, as though they over-concentrated on all the action and on plot events and forgot about the thing which is the core of the whole series - about characters cuteness / attractiveness.

Well at least seiyu work was as perfect as ever.
Prepare yourself because it can be the last time seeing her having a real fight the next week....hey you gave in the polls a 9/10
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 18:14   Link #146
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

9/10 was right after I watched it for the first time. Two days and one rewatch later it's 6/10. It's 6/10 cause I don't like how people who worked on this episode treated Mikoto. She's our god and she should receive appropriate treatment. She should be drawn and animated with care and love. Nah, not with care and love, but with
CARE AND LOVE

Understand? We don't care about your stupid plot, what we care about is how cute and cool Mikoto looks when she's sliding along the plot-lines. (That was a rant towards Railgun stuff )

Anyway, quote of the week belongs to Mikoto:
- Keep the change.

Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?
Cyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 18:18   Link #147
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm still wondering where this 'low quality animation' you're talking about is. I mean, episode 9's little dip was easy to spot, but this episode... well, I'm still having trouble finding what you're talking about.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 20:15   Link #148
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

2 Keroko:
Never said anything about animation being low quality.

Let me put it this way: for someone who watch Railgun for plot, animation in this eppie is just right; but for people who watch it to enjoy and admire Mikoto and other girls it was kinda off, worse than in previous episodes. Again, I'm talking now not about technical side of animation, but rather about the feelings you experience towards 2-d girl on the screen. Do you think she's sexy? beautiful? moe? cute? etc. The differences between two drawn faces may be very minor, but perception of them may differ drastically.

Edit: just compare this episode to the screens I posted in the previous thread: here. Girls from ep.10 are way more beautiful!

Btw. In the infamous debate about Saten from the previous episode's thread there was one anti-Saten argument, the one about Level Upper's hazardous side effects, that was addressed by ep. 11 scritpwriter. Here:

You anti-Saten people shoulda love this girl

Actually, when watching this ep., I had the feeling that people at J.C.Staff read animesuki forums and responded to our questions ^^ Well of course they didn't, but I think they did thorough "testing" of the scripts for all episodes and tried to minimize the number of the "murky" spots. Good job.

Also, speaking of Uiharu, it came to my mind that she's actually a computer expert. And now all that talk with Harumi about Tree Diagram and the computational network that Harumi made for herself. Just imagine how jealous Uiharu should be!

Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
Natsuru:

Last edited by Cyrus17; 2009-12-14 at 20:34. Reason: -->
Old 2009-12-15, 02:43   Link #149
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
9/10 was right after I watched it for the first time. Two days and one rewatch later it's 6/10. It's 6/10 cause I don't like how people who worked on this episode treated Mikoto. She's our god and she should receive appropriate treatment. She should be drawn and animated with care and love. Nah, not with care and love, but with
CARE AND LOVE

Understand? We don't care about your stupid plot, what we care about is how cute and cool Mikoto looks when she's sliding along the plot-lines. (That was a rant towards Railgun stuff )

Anyway, quote of the week belongs to Mikoto:
- Keep the change.

I'm guessing you voted 9/10 the first time round because you were voting 9/10 for the plot. The plot is so good you forgot you even cared about moe.
Old 2009-12-15, 03:03   Link #150
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'm guessing you voted 9/10 the first time round because you were voting 9/10 for the plot. The plot is so good you forgot you even cared about moe.
Hehe, exactly. Lots of action, large number of events, and quite a few of them were totally unexpected by me. Was kinda in a "Wow!" state in the end.
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
Natsuru:
Old 2009-12-15, 06:49   Link #151
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Good episode with lots of action. *10/10

Though I wonder why Kiyama didn't use the invisibility power that the eyebrow girl (from a previous episode) had.
She could have just escaped using that power instead of fighting Anti-skill and Misaka.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 06:53   Link #152
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Good episode with lots of action. *10/10

Though I wonder why Kiyama didn't use the invisibility power that the eyebrow girl (from a previous episode) had.
She could have just escaped using that power instead of fighting Anti-skill and Misaka.
That was an anime-only character. That's an explanation btw. Not an excuse.
Old 2009-12-16, 07:04   Link #153
coderlan
Student

what happened to the children? Did they overload? coz I saw blood...
coderlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 07:10   Link #154
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Have you watched Toaru Majutsu no Index?
There is one episode there which can explain that.

Heed my warning, don't imagine. It would really make your heart swell.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 10:35   Link #155
svld

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuroso View Post
If Misaka really wanted to kill her, she could have just called down thunder repeatedly.
Spoiler for next ep:
svld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 06:04   Link #156
straferd
Toushi

finally, after 10 slow episodes, it got interesting.

9/10

Spoiler for episode 11:
straferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 10:53   Link #157
tsunade666

Spoiler for about kiyama:
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 13:42   Link #158
AlitY

I really like the episode plenty of action and a good plot. I've been reading the manga aswell and like most of you have an idea of whats going to happen next and i can't wait.
AlitY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 19:29   Link #159
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Aleister Crowley in the shadows as to not tip off anybody about what is really going on in his city likely denied Harumi Kiyama's request for the Tree Diagram. (In the manga it was a moot point as Index already destroyed the Kaguya satellite. Leaving Level Upper as the only course for Harumi.)

In the Manga/Novels /Index Anime [All of which seem consistent about dates]

Index doesn't destroy Tree Diagram until after Level Upper is taken down.

Saten falls unconscious on the 24 of July and Index destroys Tree Diagram on the night of the 27th/28th of July.

Touma doesn't fight Kanzaki until the evening of the 24th.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 14:31   Link #160
HandofFate

Railgun sure beat round 1 pretty fast..I know its Misaka's story..but it seems if Touma was around, the whole thing would have been over in 5 minutes.