AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On!! (Second Season) - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 33 37.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 26.97%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 23.60%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 7.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.37%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.12%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-10, 04:10   Link #141
Eak
One angry cloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Depends entirely on Kakifly and the author I suppose. So far many series seem more comfortable with swapping characters out rather than changing the setting. I keep rooting for some mangaka to be brave enough to *follow the damn characters* out the door from graduation.
Agreed, it would be interesting to see the original 4 post high school (though it'd probably become less popular, haha).. Not a lot of series go beyond that territory (could be wrong).
Old 2010-05-10, 04:21   Link #142
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

The only thing I can think of why we rarely see post-high school anime may be that any and all girls featuring in it would become full-fledged adults and thus might become less 'desirable'.

Still, there is so much potential for this particular series, given the overlap with music and the girls' desire to keep the band going well past high school and into college, it would be an enormous waste to leave a goldmine like that untouched.
Old 2010-05-10, 04:39   Link #143
stubby42

It would be interesting to see what happens next, whilst I can see most of the girls going to univeristy I really cant imagine Yui going, having said that I cant really see her starting a band on her own, she doesnt have the drive to do it.
Old 2010-05-10, 06:34   Link #144
Sparvid
*hic*

edit: removed by Mod

I wonder if it would be possible to both follow the main four on to the university, and also have Azusa, Ui and Jun as regular characters, keeping up the light music club. Or maybe that just result in a big mess.

But even if the story sticks to Yui, Mio, Ritsu and Mugi (hmm, in these kind of discussions maybe there would be practical to have a specific nickname referring to the four of them only...), Ui would be bound to show up quite often anyway.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2010-05-10 at 11:17. Reason: please do not post manga spoilers (in any form) in the anime only threads
Old 2010-05-10, 08:11   Link #145
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

This was the best episode of the season - and four of the five main characters were MIA throughout. There is something wrong with that. I did love how Ui learned how to bat so easily, guess that family are hidden geniuses or something.
Old 2010-05-10, 08:17   Link #146
krko
The Movie is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Depends entirely on Kakifly and the author I suppose. So far many series seem more comfortable with swapping characters out rather than changing the setting. I keep rooting for some mangaka to be brave enough to *follow the damn characters* out the door from graduation.
Major is actually doing this, it follows the main char from elementary all the way into the Major Leagues.
Old 2010-05-10, 13:08   Link #147
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
edit: removed by Mod

I wonder if it would be possible to both follow the main four on to the university, and also have Azusa, Ui and Jun as regular characters, keeping up the light music club. Or maybe that just result in a big mess.

But even if the story sticks to Yui, Mio, Ritsu and Mugi (hmm, in these kind of discussions maybe there would be practical to have a specific nickname referring to the four of them only...), Ui would be bound to show up quite often anyway.
Call them the Core Group, the Original Four, or the Core Four

Lucky*Star seems to be bopping around reasonably well handling 2 to 3 groups of people in a 4-koma context (basically bringing in whoever makes the joke funny, etc). Part of the interest in following the original four would be the obstacles in making the band work if they don't go to the same university (though I can see Mio ending up at Tokyo U. and the rest ending up at a music/arts school nearby... unless they talk Mio into "following her heart" instead of her pragmatic brain).
Old 2010-05-10, 14:33   Link #148
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Mio wouldn't want to be lonely.
Old 2010-05-10, 15:40   Link #149
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
I loved this eps. K-on has gone from a moefest in season one to a REALLY well produced slice of life series in season two. I've seen a lot of anime, but none that have threaded the little mundane details of the average day as well as this. The scenes where they get the random "skull" text and the phonecall from Yui looking for directions were so well done. They took me totally by surprise as they happened just the way they did for the characters, and Ui & Azu's reactions were perfect.

If Ui & Jun DON'T end up joining the club late in the season, it'll be such a waste of a perfect setup. You can see the potential between these girls and Azu makes a perfect bridge between them. The seniors have great chemistry and even if they go on to be OLs instead of rock & rollers, the next generation with Azusa's potential band could be launched into the spotlight by their sempai's lack of initiative.

I enjoy Kakifly's manga immensely, but KyoAni has plussed the heck out of this series as it's gone into season 2.

On a pure animation enjoyment level, I give this 10/10!
I don't see what they did that was in any way the least bit remarkable or exceptional in this episode and actually I'd still pretty much call it a moefest. Well okay the animation is still above average, but I mean really can I expect something a little more out of this than that Kyoani/Kakifly? Probably not.

Speaking of expectations, looks like next week I might get to tick off yet another notch on my All Girl Slice of Life episode plot checklist. That would probably complete it if it turns out to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eak View Post
K-On is either an amusing, cute, relaxing show to watch or plain boring.. Unfortunately, this episode was rather boring... and not because of the characters but content.
I wouldn't call it boring, just run of the mill to fault. If you have the pedigree of having watched even one All Girl Slice of Life series before this one and an inability to block out of memories of the previous one it's going to feel all too familiar.....just with the forced moe ratcheted up far higher than the volume of the music they are playing. That's the only thing I can see character wise that differentiates this from any All Girl Slice of Life series seeing as how the characters really have no personality or gravitas to call their own. It looked like they were going to have some extended character development in the very first episode of the first season (or at least like the show was building in that direction), but it almost seemed like they shifted gears quickly and we have what we have now.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-05-10 at 15:53.
Old 2010-05-10, 22:18   Link #150
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
I agree that Ui gives off a motherly vibe, especially when she interacts with Yui. I suppose since their parents aren't home much Ui, being the more hard-working and less scatter-brained of the two, takes up the role of caretaker which might explain her personality.

Yui might as well call Ui Okaasan.
That reminds me of the manga chapter where Yui called Ui 'onee-chan' in front of Nodaka.

Did like the episode a lot, can definitely see a split focus narrative between the older and younger members a la Lucky Star.
Old 2010-05-10, 23:17   Link #151
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I don't see what they did that was in any way the least bit remarkable or exceptional...
Do you have kids? If you do, have you ever watched them play without noticing you in the room? DO you remember being 15? Do you recall all the inane little stuff that mattered and seemed interesting or amusing before you "grew up" and became cynical and jaded? That's what this eps was about.

I have watched a LOT of anime over my years and I personally haven't seen anything that has taken the tiniest details and shown them from multiple people's perspectives as this did, up until now... if there is a show that has done it (and don't say Suzumiya Haruhi) I'd like to go watch it...
Old 2010-05-10, 23:46   Link #152
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
Do you have kids? If you do, have you ever watched them play without noticing you in the room? DO you remember being 15? Do you recall all the inane little stuff that mattered and seemed interesting or amusing before you "grew up" and became cynical and jaded? That's what this eps was about.

I have watched a LOT of anime over my years and I personally haven't seen anything that has taken the tiniest details and shown them from multiple people's perspectives as this did, up until now... if there is a show that has done it (and don't say Suzumiya Haruhi) I'd like to go watch it...
What tiny details? Like what are we even talking about here? Again I'm still not seeing anything remarkable or exceptional being pointed out to me about this episode.

As for shows that do the multiple people's perspectives and incidental details, I'd say that Durarara is doing a much better job at that sort of thing and gets a huge plus for actually keeping things interesting. Then again that show actually has different things going on each week other than just girls being girls. The problem is yet again that I have just seen this concept presented by K-On done to death, and K-On alone is taking a concept that has already been run into the ground as of late and is driving it right to the center of the Earth at mach speeds.

You're calling up these "everyday life" things like it's supposed to be something special or unheard of in anime, but it really isn't and I don't understand why people praise this sort of stuff like it's exceptional since there's practically an entire sub-genre of the slice of life genre dedicated to it. In fact there's even another show this season that I would say is milking the concept in Working! K-On practically does the "everyday life" thing every single week except it's a really idealized, escapist and cutesy picture of life, the same one I see in pretty much ever All Girl Slice of Life show.

Again just doing "everyday life" is not going to cut it for me in terms of getting praise or me calling it anything other than run of the mill since I've seen it so many times by now in many different shows, sometimes in ways that challenge me as a viewer to focus and channel my interest towards the actions of the characters and sometimes not. If this episode was supposed to inspire something in me then it failed miserably at that as well.

Anyway until I see this show actually do something that sets it apart I'm probably going to have the same comments every week.
Old 2010-05-11, 00:59   Link #153
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Anyway until I see this show actually do something that sets it apart I'm probably going to have the same comments every week.
And in other news, Isreal and Palestine reach a historic peace agreement, Suu Kyi's democratic party topples the Junta and Kim Jong Il is really a sock puppet.
Old 2010-05-11, 01:20   Link #154
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
You're calling up these "everyday life" things like it's supposed to be something special or unheard of in anime,
Isn't that the purpose of slice of life?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-05-11, 01:22   Link #155
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Isn't that the purpose of slice of life?
What I'm trying to say is I can't go lumping praise at every show just because it hits the pars of the genre.
Old 2010-05-11, 01:27   Link #156
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Well, it's still barely half of the series to judge it for now.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-05-15, 09:32   Link #157
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Jazz instrumental was lovely....I like Azunyan's hair too.

Was that light blue guitar Yamaha SBV 500?
Old 2010-05-18, 14:19   Link #158
Manwards
Cunning Linguist

Send a message via MSN to Manwards
Red face

Quote:
I've never really understood why you even watch this series. Including the OVA, we're, what, 20 episodes into the series as a whole now? 21? Like it or not, man, this is how it's going to be, forever and ever. It's just a moe slice-of-life show with some fun music and its heart in the right place. It isn't ever going to be more than that, and neither does it need to be. Your problem isn't with the particulars of the series; it's with the series itself: with its goals, its tone, its audience. I can't imagine you ever actually enjoying an episode, and if you do, it'll be with a wry smile and a reluctant admission that Kyoto Animation somehow squeezed a drop of quality blood from their worn out stones.

So why stick yourself in this rut every week? Despite the slightly confrontational tone of this post, I really am interested. I barely have the time to watch shows I enjoy, let alone those I know are going to let me down. I can only assume you enjoy cultivating your supposed superiority by telling us we're wrong, that we shouldn't be enjoying something unless it's bravely redefining a medium. But really, bud, there's a line where criticism becomes cynicicm and you just start sounding like a dick.
Old 2010-05-19, 00:56   Link #159
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Really enjoyed seeing things from the side characters' view. Yeah, you have to feel for Ui when she realizes her oneesan's not coming home for a while. And again, I also liked how Jun was fully developed in such a short period.

And Vexx's description of Ui was spot-on for me; a developing Yamato Nadeshiko and possible yandere. In a way her relationship with Yui is similar to that of the Hiiragi twins in how she deeply depends on her big sis, though it's interesting here in that Ui's obviously the more competent one...and yet she's still somewhat emotionally dependant on Yui. She's still the imouto in that sense.

And of course Shana comes to mind with Azunyan.

Anyway, about that last scene where they were playing with the hiragana (?) characters that make up the word K-On. At one point Ritsu rearranged the letters and said it was the name of "a demon that lives in the Tohoku region", among other things. Was that wordplay accurate?

PS: Yamato Nadeshiko is obviously an archetype, but according to TVTropes, Audrey Hepburn came pretty close.
Old 2010-05-19, 10:52   Link #160
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Cool weather-altering powers for the junior trio. In another series, they'd be playing the bugle and trumpet, piloting mecha and stopping wars with their song.
Closed Thread