AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-11-09, 22:46   Link #101
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiko-chan View Post
never yell or show emotion in public
leave work before your superior
dont put soy saus on rice
impail chopsticks in rice
dont call anyone by first name and don't expect to be called your first name
dont hug or kiss
dont criticise anyone or anything directly
dont blow your nose at the food table

there are many others but i have to go to class and oniichan needs his computer back

bye
What year are you in?

Quote:
never yell or show emotion in public
I take it you don't live in a metro area, more or less Kabukicho.

Quote:
Leave work before your superior
If I did, I'd be dead by now.

Quote:
impail [sic] chopsticks in rice
そもそもそんなの誰もやんネーヨ。

Quote:
Wow, I guess you have no friends then, Tsukiko-kun

Quote:
dont hug or kiss
Or never had a significant other.

Quote:
dont criticise anyone or anything directly
回りくどいのならあるけどな。後、2ch wwwww

Quote:
dont blow your nose at the food table
That's more like table manner, like "don't wipe your armpits" with the wet cloth that they give you.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 23:47   Link #102
noisytime
Insignificant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiko-chan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Wow, I guess you have no friends then, Tsukiko-kun
Goldmine.
noisytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-11, 20:38   Link #103
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
Quote:
Quote:
impail [sic] chopsticks in rice
そもそもそんなの誰もやんネーヨ。
*raises hand*^^;;

I do?^^;;
For the soy sauce, it's more because I'm lazy and put beef+rice+vegetable+etc. on one big plate, then I just spray the soy wherever I feel like it and it get all mixed up in the rice too^^;;
The good thing is I only have to wash one plate.

And the chopsticks, if you ground them to the rice, the chopstick won't fall off the plate and down on the floor, when you carry the plate to the dinner table or to another room. ^^;;
Arimfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 01:06   Link #104
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiko-chan
impail chopsticks in rice
そもそもそんなの誰もやんネーヨ。
http://www.janet.org/~livingja/essays/shoyu_mn.html

My step-mother, a proud Japanese woman, didn't care for us learning much of anything about her native country or culture (that's what we got for being white--gaijin in our own home!), but she made SURE that we learned TWO THINGS:

First, never stick your chopsticks upright in your food!
Second, never pour soy sauce on your rice!

This was enforced in ways only used by Asian mothers... I can still feel The Stare.

Now, I watch my youngest sister and my cousins, all of whom are half-Japanese, grow up and they all pour soy sauce on their rice. Kids these days have no discipline!
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 03:08   Link #105
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

So it's seen as impolite or "undisciplined" to stick your chop sticks into the rice?

Hmm, I guess it's the equivelant of eating with your hands -- barring finger foods -- in the United States. You're not supposed to do it unless your a toddler, if seen doing so, generally your parents will smack you up-side the head,or at least be like "are you stupid?" Also, used to have the elbows on table thing, but no one seems to care much anymore. Just trying to relate it anyways . (continues his monologue)

I think the US equivelant developed because it is messy. Wonder why the Japanese chopstick taboo developed...
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 05:22   Link #106
Gaiarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226 View Post
I think the US equivelant developed because it is messy. Wonder why the Japanese chopstick taboo developed...
I believe that it's the way rice is symbolically offered to the dead, and you don't want anything to do with death at the dinner table.
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 09:47   Link #107
mit7059

Adding soy sauce to your rice sometimes is considered an insult to the person who made it, something like, "your rice isn't good enough on its own so I have to add soy sauce to make it taste good."

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 18:38   Link #108
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226 View Post
So it's seen as impolite or "undisciplined" to stick your chop sticks into the rice?

Hmm, I guess it's the equivelant of eating with your hands -- barring finger foods -- in the United States. You're not supposed to do it unless your a toddler, if seen doing so, generally your parents will smack you up-side the head,or at least be like "are you stupid?" Also, used to have the elbows on table thing, but no one seems to care much anymore. Just trying to relate it anyways . (continues his monologue)

In Chinese culture, the appearance of chopsticks pointing directly out of the bowl is similar to that of incense sticks pointing directly out of the grave.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 19:55   Link #109
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
Adding soy sauce to your rice sometimes is considered an insult to the person who made it, something like, "your rice isn't good enough on its own so I have to add soy sauce to make it taste good."
Besides, why the hell would anyone want to pour soy sauce onto rice? I would think it would get too salty, ruining the umami of the rice!!

Overheard conversation at the American embassy in Akasaka:
Quote:
We Americans have poor receptive palates. Why do you think we pour ketchup onto everything?
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 19:58   Link #110
mimo

Quote:
Besides, why the hell would anyone want to pour soy sauce onto rice? I would think it would get too salty, ruining the umami of the rice!!
because of people like the taste of rice with soy sauce and don't care about the so-called "umami" of the rice?
mimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 20:12   Link #111
mit7059

Quote:

I don't add soy sauce to my rice anymore, but I fail to see how Umami applies as the wikipeida artice never mentions anything close to rice, it describes umami as related to
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipeida
meats, cheese and other protein-heavy foods...the strong flavor in seaweed broth.
Now don't get me wrong I love Japanese rice all by its lonesome, (my mother's side of the family is Japanese), but sometimes just rice can get a little bland and soy sauce adds some flavor.

Old 2006-11-13, 20:29   Link #112
mimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
Fun fact: Most of Japan's first original literature was written by women. Most men were busy copying Chinese texts and women weren't allowed to be educated in Chinese, so they wrote original work in Japan's native script, hiragana.

Wee! Isn't learning fun?!
If my Japanese course lecturer was not mistaken, hiragana was not any more Japan's "native script" compared to "Chinese". the Japanese first used "manyogana" to record the pronunciation of the Chinese characters, and the "manyogana" are in fact all Chinese character themselves. the formal "Kaishu" form of "manyogana" ("Chinese") was only used by men, while the informal cursive form of "manyogana" ("Chinese") was used by both men and women. Later the cursive form of manyogana evolved into hiragana, by taking laterals and radicals of the cursive form of manyogana ("Chinese"). So both manyogana ("Chinese") and hiragana are Japan's native script.
Old 2006-11-13, 21:15   Link #113
mimo

the modern Japanese culture looks to be quite self-centered. Anything profitting them is right, everything else is wrong, almost completely disregarding morals, facts, and truth. And an extreme lack of sense of justice with a strong sense of self-righteous-ness. This is my own experience online. During the recent political clash between Korea/China and Japan, some big bunch of crazy idiots from both sides appear on the WWW. However, for the Korea/China side, whenever some crazy idiots post things like "Japanese are all pigs", "We should massacre Tokyo" in Korea/China online bbs, immediately there will be other Korea/China people come out to tell them "shut up racist", "you are worse than those Japanese extremists". But for the Japan side, when some crazy idiot post things like "Korean/Chinese are all pigs", "Korean/Chinese are bad for human gene pool" in Japan online bbs like 2ch, you can only see other Japanese crazy idiots supporting them, but no good man/woman standing up to tell them they are wrong. It looks like there are bad people in all cultures, but the good people in Japan either don't say anything, or are too afraid to say anything.

I don't know whether this will be again rated "crass language" or "flame bait", this is just my own observation of the current modern Japan culture.
Old 2006-11-13, 21:39   Link #114
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
I don't know whether this will be again rated "crass language" or "flame bait", this is just my own observation of the current modern Japan culture.
Uhh yeah it probably will be, I think you should read the first few posts on this thread, this isn't a place to critique Japanese culture its a place to ask and answer specific questions about Japanese culture and then discuss them, things like the above discussion about the merits/dismerits of putting soy sauce on rice. The main reason why people get angry at your posts is because you make sweeping generalizations that easily offend people, such as
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo
the modern Japanese culture looks to be quite self-centered. Anything profitting them is right, everything else is wrong, almost completely disregarding morals, facts, and truth. And an extreme lack of sense of justice with a strong sense of self-righteous-ness.
Now can you see why people would be offended by that? You just called Japanese people self-centered, obsessed with greed, immoral, unjust, self-righteous who disregard truth. Even when you add the modifier
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo
This is my own experience online.
It will still easily offend people. You're especially going to get people angry here, considering that this is a site devoted to an aspect of the Japanese culture. This isn't a political discussion forum, its an anime forum.

Old 2006-11-13, 21:45   Link #115
ImClueless
Rawr

mimo is on a roll...

Anyway, I have a question! Are there such things as Otaku rehabilitation centres in Japan? There are such things as OA meetings (Otaku's Anonymous :P)? Do families stage interventions?
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 21:58   Link #116
Lost

Hmmm... didnt I read something about an Otaku bootcamp; that was suppose- Oh wait. That was for computer addicts. Hmm, thats an interesting question.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 22:00   Link #117
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImClueless View Post
mimo is on a roll...

Anyway, I have a question! Are there such things as Otaku rehabilitation centres in Japan? There are such things as OA meetings (Otaku's Anonymous :P)? Do families stage interventions?
Isn't the entire premise of Welcome to the NHK! similar to this? I stalled on the series, but I thought it was something like that.

Old 2006-11-13, 22:10   Link #118
ImClueless
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
Isn't the entire premise of Welcome to the NHK! similar to this? I stalled on the series, but I thought it was something like that.
Yes somewhat. but Misaki's help isn't exactly professional and Satou is simply a hikki rather than an otaku.
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 22:10   Link #119
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:

In Mexico it is a common custom to serve mole onto our enchiladas and chicken dishes, and is frequently served along with chicken, potatoes, and rice on the plate.

In fact, I like to have mole poured onto my rice, because I like the spicy flavor.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 22:28   Link #120
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
In Mexico it is a common custom to serve mole onto our enchiladas and chicken dishes, and is frequently served along with chicken, potatoes, and rice on the plate.

In fact, I like to have mole poured onto my rice, because I like the spicy flavor.
My mother would turn her nose up in disgust for you even comparing your rice to Japanese rice. She's a total purist, she'll compain about us running out of Japanese rice and then we'll be at costco and there'll be these huge 60 lbs bags of rice and I'll say "hey look rice," to which she'll respond, "please thats indian rice, not japanese rice, I guess I'll just have to drive across town to the Japanese grocery store *sigh*"

Maybe my teenage tastes aren't that refined but I can't tell that much difference between different types of rice, the main difference i see is based on how much water you put in the rice cooker determining how sticky the rice will be

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture