AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-18, 03:41   Link #401
Lukeman1884

Yeah, I really didn't like Moritani's "redemption", and something tells me if the mother gets one, I'm probably not gonna like it either. Especially if all it takes is an apology and a few tears like what Moritani had. Doing that would pretty much just douse half the drama they built up in the first episode. Personally, I believe she deserves to be punched. Hard.

On a lighter note, just where the hell does all her grandfather's money come from? I wouldn't be at all surprised if he were actually a pimp or something.
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 03:44   Link #402
FateAnomaly

She cheats because she is stressed out and her husband is never around.

I have to agree that koutora herself don't make much sense. She has experienced first hand what trouble knowledge of her ability brings yet without fail she will demonstrate her ability to anyone she meets. If she have trouble filtering the voice just keep quiet or give a generic answer.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 10:45   Link #403
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I can't even begin to comprehend this sentence.
Old 2013-02-18, 11:46   Link #404
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Even in high school Koutora still not learn to keep her mouth shut. Koutora is at fault here no matter how you look.
I can't help but agree with this. She should be aware of her powers by now and learn how to stay out of trouble. While the issue concerning her changing from one school to another and almost friendless should not be pinned on her alone, she is partly at fault.

Quote:
I am actually torn about this cheating issue. While one could sort of excuse her behaviour due to her dealing with a "strange and freakish" daughter and receiving almost no support, at the same time I also could not let go of the fact that she abandons Kotoura. I am from a close tight-knit family, and I can never comprehend mothers who abandon their children, no matter what the reason is. I am not sure how I will receive her appearance in the future episode. The face that she shows at the end of the last episode seems to indicate that she is not back to reconcile with her daughter, more like to express contempt over how Kotoura seems to be enjoying herself with her friends while her own dream of a happy family is shattered due to Kotoura.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 12:09   Link #405
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeman1884 View Post
Yeah, I really didn't like Moritani's "redemption", and something tells me if the mother gets one, I'm probably not gonna like it either. Especially if all it takes is an apology and a few tears like what Moritani had. Doing that would pretty much just douse half the drama they built up in the first episode. Personally, I believe she deserves to be punched. Hard.
I can understand where you're coming from, but you have to remember that Kotoura can read minds. While the series usually emphasizes the problems this causes her when other people are dishonest, it also lets her know when someone's being honest. She can "hear" that Moritani seriously feels bad about what she did and sincerely wants to make up for it.

This is consistent with the fact that no one else other than Kotoura has even remotely forgiven Moritani.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 12:28   Link #406
HandofFate

Also, to Kotoura-san, she can't tell the difference between "mind voice" and actual talking. If she isn't looking at you, to her, your talking outloud either way and she wouldn't know the difference.

Most of what we seen, Kotoura got the backlash from her ability as a kid. After a while she just gave up. And from the first day in the new high school, she just uses it in a way to just put up a barrier, because she rather be alone than try to make friendships and have it fall apart because some people just can't take it.
Old 2013-02-18, 12:48   Link #407
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
On a lighter note, just where the hell does all her grandfather's money come from? I wouldn't be at all surprised if he were actually a pimp or something.
Maybe they are descendants of Robert Edward O (aka REO) Speedwagon from Jojo's Adventures first and second arc (Maybe exposition to hamon techniques can awaken Psychic abilities in descendants
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 21:26   Link #408
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Whether or not the mom or the dad cheat has nothing to do with being stressed out from Koutora and her mind-reading capabilities. They cheat because of their own personal inadequacies as wife and husband.

Quote:
I have to agree that koutora herself don't make much sense.
I think the big problem is that there is no precedent here. Koutora's ability is unique and none of us can can actually imagine how it is to be her. Nonetheless, I think HandofFate has probably come close:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
After a while she just gave up. And from the first day in the new high school, she just uses it in a way to just put up a barrier, because she rather be alone than try to make friendships and have it fall apart because some people just can't take it.
This is further emphasized when she left town after Manabe ended up in the hospital. She would rather be alone than those she loves get hurt because of their involvement with her. By leaving town, she erects another barrier between herself and the person who she is most attached to.

Quote:
Well, the only one who's forgiven Moritani is Koutora, and I can basically understand why she did. And Moritani is trying very hard to redeem herself with Koutora, and seems to be doing a pretty good job of it.

Mom, on the other hand, doesn't look like she's interested in being forgiven. Quite the contrary, she looks more like she wants her daughter to beg, plead, and grovel at her feet for forgiveness. And Koutora just might do that, if that part of her psyche is still stuck in the past, erroneously believing that what had happened between her, her mother, and her father, was all her fault.

How the anime resolves this dilemma is going to be a make or break issue with me. If Koutora does forgive her mother, it's going to have to be something very extraordinary for me to even want to continue watching the series. As I said before:

Quote:
What mom did was not only horrible as a mother, it was horrible as a human being. In my [very obviously biased] opinion, she does not deserve to be forgiven.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 22:45   Link #409
FateAnomaly

Yes, she doesn't deserve to be forgiven but who do you think will be happiest to have her back?
Old 2013-02-18, 23:12   Link #410
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Yes, she doesn't deserve to be forgiven but who do you think will be happiest to have her back?
Well, gramps for one, and, perhaps, Koutora, but it's all a guessing game right now.

Although the animators seemed to have done a pretty decent job sketching out the first few years of Koutora's life in ten minutes, there isn't enough time left in the series to truly resolve this issue between mother and daughter, if, in fact, it would ever get resolved. It's one thing to have been abandoned as a young child, but quite another to have been told by mom that she wished she had never given birth to her child. Koutora is still traumatized by this, as seen by her nightmare. In real life, she would probably never "get over it", as I know from personal experience.

I hope that this anime, unlike another very recent anime with another mom who abandoned her young daughter, deals seriously with the issue at hand at least as seriously as the first ten minutes of the series, instead of simply glossing over the whole situation like that other anime did.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 10:46   Link #411
HandofFate

it is a 4koma, so while it does have some plotstuff that usually isn't associated with it, but the solution is probably gonna be simple.

By taking hints from scenarios with characters like kotoura, only reason kotoura is going to forgive the mother is.

(just speculation, but decided to put in tags anyway)
Spoiler for speculation:
Old 2013-02-19, 23:51   Link #412
FateAnomaly

The way i see it, kotoura will not forgive get mother because to her there is nothing to forgive. She blames herself for everything that has happened. She will be more than happy to have her parents back. Kotoura is a weird girl like that.
Old 2013-02-20, 02:07   Link #413
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I can't even begin to comprehend this sentence.
This. I had to add that person to my ignore list because of that post. Just all sorts of bad right there.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 05:58   Link #414
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
This. I had to add that person to my ignore list because of that post. Just all sorts of bad right there.
The negligence of the father does play a role in cornering the mother to seek solace in others. It's also how a lot of cheating irl originates. Very understandable human behavior if you ask me.
Old 2013-02-20, 07:07   Link #415
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
The negligence of the father does play a role in cornering the mother to seek solace in others. It's also how a lot of cheating irl originates. Very understandable human behavior if you ask me.
Agreed. Not that I think it's OK to do so, but at least I can understand the reasoning behind it.
The father avoided coming home as much as possible, leaving the mother to deal with the difficult situation all by herself...can't really blame her for finding someone else. After all, the father had given up on them first.

Abandoning the child, however, is a whole different matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
How the anime resolves this dilemma is going to be a make or break issue with me. If Koutora does forgive her mother, it's going to have to be something very extraordinary for me to even want to continue watching the series.
Same goes for me. I really hope that Kotoura tells her mother to pike off, but sadly I don't think that's how it'll play out.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 11:11   Link #416
EroKing

Old 2013-02-20, 12:49   Link #417
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
I hope that this anime, unlike another very recent anime with another mom who abandoned her young daughter, deals seriously with the issue at hand at least as seriously as the first ten minutes of the series, instead of simply glossing over the whole situation like that other anime did.
Are you talking about Ristorante Paradiso? If so, I'd agree with you that the matter is glossed over in that story.

I think how Manabe enters the relationship between Kotoura and her mother could be quite interesting. On the one hand, he would do anything to protect Kotoura, but if he really does want to stay with her over the long haul, they will both have to find some accommodation with her mother, if such a thing is even possible.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 17:38   Link #418
jdennis007

As long as the mother is honestly sorry Kotoura will forgive her, because Kotoura is an honest person and looks for others who are the same. Take Manabe for example she knows he is somewhat dim-witted and a pervert but he is honest about it and everything, so after all those years of dishonesty of course she would be attracted to his honesty.
Old 2013-02-21, 13:26   Link #419
bastek66

Manabe this week
Spoiler for pic:
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 14:00   Link #420
Midonin
Last Engage

The Secret of Haruka Kotoura 07 - Black Water

While the drama was present in this episode a bit, it never ended up completely overwhelming it. Most of the episode was exactly as lighthearted as the preview hinted. I've been saying every week that I think Haruka's desire to forgive people instead of take revenge is actually a sign of maturity, not stunted growth, and even in this episode, it shows. Time heals all wounds, and she still genuinely wants to be loved. It's the third level of Maslow's, after all. The surprise birthday party was heartwarming, and the second half of the vacation was hilarious. If there was ever a scene that was begging for pixiv fanart, this is it. The ending reverted to "Flower of Hope" for the first time in a few episodes, but the song feels even more uplifting now. The future still looks bright.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4-koma, drama, romantic comedy, school life, seinen, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy