AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-15, 08:48   Link #1
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
UK manga readers - possible problem...

While board at college I happened to read this thread over on AnimeonDVD.com:
http://forums.animeondvd.com/showfla...=&fpart=1&vc=1

Wtf!? I'm not sure whether this means we just wont get the manga over here at all, or just certain restrictions are now in effect.
Either way, I'll have to ask at Gosh- one of the better manga stockists in London, what on earth is happening with these titles. Since they ARE importanting, maybe they can still get stock. Any does anyone know what titles Viz have restricted for import? I have been wondering why I have not seen Rurouni Kenshin vol2 out lately...
Having to order them from an American site would be annoying...
Old 2004-01-15, 09:19   Link #2
LBW
I like obscure crap

Send a message via AIM to LBW
Told you~

Viz is restricting all titles btw, same as Raijin. :P
Old 2004-01-15, 09:35   Link #3
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
Does this affect importing at all? All I want to know is whether or not Amazon.co.uk will still be able to stock their DH manga. I'm almost certain most of it comes from America anyway.
Old 2004-01-15, 10:03   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

As mentioned above, Viz has had the same restriction for a while. In practice all this means is that U.K. comic shops may have to find an alternative route (or method) to order the items. I know the comic shop I order stuff from have mentioned the limitations in the past and have said that it just makes it more difficult to obtain, not impossible but just difficult. Gosh are one of the better retailers so I would fully expect them to still obtain the DH titles because they are sure to be willing to put the extra effort to obtain them for their customers.

If you look at Amazon(.co.uk), they have been offering Viz titles in the U.K. despite the fact that Viz only have the U.S. rights. I suspect what it only means is that Viz / DH can only sell within the U.S. But since they sell to Distributors (who in turn sell to Retailers, who then sell the goods to the public), it doesn't make a lot of difference to them. Viz and DH cannot directly sell outside the U.S. but they do most of their business with the major distributors, not the retailers or the public directly.

If you have a look at the AoD thread, you can see why this has happened. When companies like Viz and DH obtain the English language license, they are only allowed to purchase the U.S. English language rights. It makes business sense to only sell the U.S. rights to U.S. companies since there is a chance they can obtain further license money from U.K. and Austrailian (etc.) publishers. The same applies to DVDs I'm sure.
Old 2004-01-15, 10:06   Link #5
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Quote:
I suspect what it only means is that Viz / DH can only sell within the U.S. But since they sell to Distributors (who in turn sell to Retailers, who then sell the goods to the public), it doesn't make a lot of difference to them.
Ahhhhhh, I was hoping that might be the case. Either ways I'm still asking about in Gosh tomorow...........
*breaths a sigh of relief*
Thanks Xris
Old 2004-01-16, 14:59   Link #6
El Diablo

Send a message via AIM to El Diablo Send a message via MSN to El Diablo Send a message via Yahoo to El Diablo
Well, Newcastle seems to be completely devoid of places to buy anime that i want, pretty much, and manga is even harder to find. But amazon has a large collection, and is cheap too, i bought the first 2 one piece volumes for £8, the same with naruto. So i'm not too bothered about the price, its just the wait i'm not keen on.
Old 2004-01-17, 12:43   Link #7
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

damn, this might explain why some of the manga dissapeared in a few shops ;_;

i think i'm going to go insane
Old 2004-01-17, 15:00   Link #8
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

ahhh hopefully it doesnt affect us UK-ians (hehe) too much.
Quote:
Gosh- one of the better manga stockists in London
Quote:
Gosh are one of the better retailers so I would fully expect them to still obtain the DH titles because they are sure to be willing to put the extra effort to obtain them for their customers
ahhh yeah ya can say that again! gosh rocks! i was there today in fact (got Pita Ten volume 1)
Old 2004-01-17, 18:41   Link #9
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Hmm. I droped by Gosh today I didn't see many Viz or Dark Horse titles
Kenshin Vol2 IS out isn't it? I swear it came out ages back, but I never saw it in there, especially not when I actually had money...

I coulden't be bothered to ask them or anything, but I'm guessing this is effecting them. If I have to order my Manga from the US too I'm gonna be PISSED.
Stupid companys. They ain't selling to us, we're importing from them!
Grrrr. I just relised this whole situation falls under the word "ban", the worst word ever.
Old 2004-01-17, 19:34   Link #10
LBW
I like obscure crap

Send a message via AIM to LBW
Hehe, sucks to have your manga fix taken away right? :p
Old 2004-01-18, 05:06   Link #11
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
If I have to order my Manga from the US too I'm gonna be PISSED.
I suggest you try Amazon.co.uk as an alternative. They are cheaper than GOSH / Forbidden Planet.

For Kenshin (at Amazon) , have a look here.

Mind you, Vol 1 is listed as available in 1-2 days but when I tried to actually order it a couple of weeks ago it came up as This item currently unavailable. Vol 2 is listed as being released on 1st Jan but that's shown as Limited availability. Mind, Amazon is a bit odd like that. A new book is typically listed as Not yet published (where you can (pre)order them), then they change to Limited availability (where you can't order them) and finally they become Available (where you can order them again).

Another source in the U.K. you could try is ACE comics in Colchester.
www.acecomics.net
Their on-line site isn't that good because they are a 'real' store (like Gosh) but try phoning them to see if they have Kenshin in stock (01206 761589).

I would like to get hold of Kenshin myself but have not tried that hard so far (I may try Amazon again, see if they can supply it). But recently I have obtained other Viz and DH manga from Amazon perfectly OK so I don't think there is a real problem (it may be just Kenshin has a glitch in the delivery).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
Stupid companys. They ain't selling to us, we're importing from them! Grrrr. I just relised this whole situation falls under the word "ban", the worst word ever.
It's not Viz or DH at fault here. The Japanese rights holder are just protecting their interests. If you want to see the titles available in the U.K. 'all' you need do it set up a company and obtain the U.K. rights and either print them yourself or work out a deal with Viz / DH and import their imprint. Easy yes!
Closed Thread