Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-02-24, 22:32   Link #1
|Aion|
Hajime

Send a message via AIM to |Aion| Send a message via Yahoo to |Aion|
The best drawn anime

What anime do you think has some of the best animation,best drawn character and scenery?

They dont nessecarly have to be a anime you lie,or even if it has a awful plot.

Personally i thonk Wolf's Rain is probably the best in my eyes,and to beat it all the story of it is great.
|Aion| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-24, 23:33   Link #2
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Azumanga Daioh is pretty hard to beat.
Old 2004-02-24, 23:46   Link #3
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Lots of well-drawn anime is not among the best animated. In order to do lots of animation it is usually necessary to simplify the character design.

To Heart comes to mind as a very well-executed series. In the OP sequence you can see the production team (Aquaplus/KSS) showing off with some nice but totally unnecessary flourishes ^_^

Vampire Princess Miyu TV series on the other hand is memorable for some utterly miserable visual work in the later episodes.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 03:29   Link #4
wao
OK.

Spirited Away - teh animation kicks your ass to next year, and I seem to really like Andou Masashi's character designing... Chihiro looked quite realistic and NOT too overexaggerated (her eyes could bring out her character without having to fill up 9/10ths of her face -_-)... Lin looked really great and the rest was just awesome, seriously.

I said I liked Andou Masashi's character designing because I also think Princess Mononoke's designs were awesome (and for a mostly cel-based show it's great) and so is Paranoia Agent.

The last Ghibli film, Neko no Ongaeshi, had some really good animation too. It was a kind of, as someone else put it, Ghibli-lite in most terms but there's no slacking on the animation here

Earth Girl Arjuna had some really great CG and stuff, though it was overdone sometimes (Some people have a huge gripe over this; for god's sakes do you know what is experimental?), and even though the character designs werent the best... just watch it, some parts you ahve to admit take your breath away (Well, at least if you have an open mind and don't have a negative attitude towards it throughout the series.)

I really liked Last Exile's character designs, if that's anything... no really, while it wasn't so great in some areas I think the designs and the colour scheme were excellent.

Princess Tutu (WHEE! PLUG!), while it seems to have some rather simple character designs, are actually quite pretty - I tried drawing them out, and it's well-designed for easy drawing... and it's pleasing to the eye (not eye-candy kind of, but... how do you say it). Also who can't resist Fakir. Hehehehehehehehehehe. </fangirl>
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 04:16   Link #5
Lambda

Clearly top in my eyes would be the Utena film. You don't even have to know what's going on to enjoy that one.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 04:28   Link #6
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
Ghost in a shell I found pretty much perfect animated.
Shinobu_Maehara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 04:35   Link #7
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
This is gonna sound really wierd.. but I was in love with the Digimon movie animation.. Its all minimal and..free?..I dunno how to describe it..its been a while (a long while) since I watched it
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 05:02   Link #8
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Last Exile and the Ghost in the Shell movie are the only ones I can think of right now that have great animation and art... but I'm pretty sure there's more.....
Old 2004-02-25, 06:22   Link #9
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Akira, hands down, has the best animation I have ever seen. This is not opinion, but speaking technically, as an animator myself. There is just so much going on in each shot, all wonderfully composed and expressively animated. Whether or not you like the story or characters, the animation is top notch. About the only thing I can think of that could perhaps exceed what Akira did is the Fantasia movies.I'd have to sit down and watch Fantasia and Akira again sometime, as well as Fantasia 2000 and see how my memory holds up, and how the best that Disney has put forth since the original Fantasia can stand against it.

As far as my favourite character designs? Well, first off, unlike my take on animation, this is all opinion. People will always prefere different styles, but I'm very suprised people would mention stuff like Ghost in the Shell(the movie) or Last Exile as their favourites. I prefere to assume they mean the animation, and not the drawing styles, because the styles in both are just so bland. Most mainstream anime in general has been moving towards a very similar, bland look. Much like most 80's anime went towards the generic 'big eyes, small mouth' look (which I didn't particularly like, but it was at least distinctive). I do like many designs from Last Exile, but the style they're drawn in just doesn't appeal to me all that much. The animation quality also really drops several episodes in.

I have to put my vote towards a couple of my favourite anime artists. Leiji Matsumoto, and Haruhiko Mikimoto come up with most of my all time favourite character designs. Shoji Kawamori, on the other hand, is hands down my favourite mecha designer.

Leiji Matsumoto is well known for many classic anime: Space Pirate Captain Herlock, Galaxy Express 999, Cosmos Warrior Zero, Galaxy Railways, and the always revered Space Battleship Yamato. His style is just very memorable. Very stylized. Very interesting. It has a lot of personality to it.

Haruhiko Mikimoto is well known primarily for his work as character designer for Super Dimension Fortress Macross, 'Do You Remember Love?', Flashback 2012, and Macross 7. Top quality work, with lots of style to it. His own illustration work is often far better than what we see in the actual animation, and even the animation work is wonderful.

Shoji Kawamori is not only the creator of SDF Macross, and most of it's sequels, but is also the mecha designer that created the transforming jet fighters that are the main draw of the franchise.Just about every anime fan is at least familier with the VF-1 Valkyrie, whether they're fans of the Macross series, or if they only know it's redheaded stepchild, Robotech. Even Transformers fans know it as Jetfire/Skyfire.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 07:52   Link #10
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
Scrapped Princess had some pretty unbeatable animations IMO, and of course most ghiblimovies have great animation.
Wilcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 10:41   Link #11
Seifer_us
A Hunter of Peace

Well, seeing as you will hardly ever get as high-quality animation in a TV series as you will in movie, I think I'll opt to rate series seperately.

I have to agree with Radd about Akira. There is simply no finer example of hand-drawn animation. I have yet to see an anime movie that looks so amazingly fluid and beautiful, even under today's standards.

As for shows, I'll say Cowboy Bebop. If any other hand-drawn, hand-painted, 26 episode TV series looks that good in every episode, somebody let me know.
Seifer_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 12:22   Link #12
ati

The one I really love is the old anime series name Kimagure Orange Road, Ayukawa Madoka is the best charactor for me and I think the story of this animate is nice and fun. Now there're a lot of anime and many of them are good ,Ghost in the shell is good but there're some point that 's not easy to understand (I mean Ghost in the shell the movies) and the animate which have good story and good charactor in my opinion is Gundam Seed ,I think this series is the best of Gundam series. By the way there's another one that I just saw the new series name Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito ,I really like this series too cause it has wire plot but something hard to understand too .
ati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 12:41   Link #13
Oiseau

Send a message via Yahoo to Oiseau
I would like to nominate Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust (the 2003 version) to this thread. The animation in that movie is extremely well done.
Oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 12:46   Link #14
Go-lytely

I always thought the Ah! My goddess movie was one of the beautifully animated things I've ever seen. The lighting, outfits, and movements all came out wonderfully.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 13:58   Link #15
xxziggybitsxx

Send a message via AIM to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via MSN to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxziggybitsxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcon
Scrapped Princess had some pretty unbeatable animations IMO, and of course most ghiblimovies have great animation.

i would have to agree with him
xxziggybitsxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 18:56   Link #16
Mad Cat
You only live once!

Send a message via ICQ to Mad Cat
Kenshin Samurai X witch is really good drawn
Mad Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 19:08   Link #17
RichMan
????

yeah, those anime's are drawn really well, but the only thing lacking in all anime's in general are the lip movements. It's truly sad, anime looks really good, and is in my opinion the best type of animation, but they really got to make it so anime characters have more lip movements when talking then just opened/closed. That's kinda lazy if you think about it, ya know.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 19:15   Link #18
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
To Heart comes to mind as a very well-executed series. In the OP sequence you can see the production team (Aquaplus/KSS) showing off with some nice but totally unnecessary flourishes ^_^
Really, you think so?

Over here, people were bashing how weird the anime art was for "To Heart." Maybe it was because we were used to the art in the PC and PS version games.

And to tell you the truth, the DVD isn't worth 38,000 yen (too late for me) once you see how grainy (at least that is what I think) the picture quality is.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 20:55   Link #19
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Read or Die OVA
I love the detailed scenery, and the action scenes.
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 21:04   Link #20
Breogan
Umeboshi

The ones I liked the most that came to my mind are:
- Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto (Someday's Dreamers / What`s Important to a Mage)
- Last Exile
Breogan is offline   Reply With Quote