Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-22, 08:24   Link #201
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOnTheU-rturn View Post
Hasn't One Piece sold more copies than Naruto?
In Japan, it most certainly has. Its popularity in the US is not as great, however.
Old 2006-12-22, 08:36   Link #202
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
In Japan, it most certainly has. Its popularity in the US is not as great, however.
and that would explain why it isnt as populair as Naruto and Bleach, mostly because in those series they didnt replace Ichigo's bankai with a rubber baseball bat.. i still cant imagine that they had replaced the guns with waters guns.. ROFL
Old 2006-12-22, 10:23   Link #203
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Going over some points while trying to compare with Bleach/Naruto.

Drawing style

One Piece is not drawn in the regular anime style, which seems to turn off quite a bit of people. In my case though, a different style can make a series more appealing to me, because after seeing the same generic style over and over again it can get a bit boring and it's refreshing to see some variant style. I've checked out several animes simply because of a different style (e.g. NANA).

Coolness factor vs fun factor

One Piece doesn't have the coolness factor that Bleach/Naruto have with their swordfighting/shinigami & ninjas/jutsu. To make up for it though, OP has more of a fun and adventure factor. There's alot of goofy characters in One Piece, both in behaviour and appearance, which make for the fun and comedy where the pirate life makes for the adventure part with mysteries, treasures and battles (naval and otherwise). Luffy isn't the main character for nothing, he's the embodiment of goofiness and adventureousness. And personally I prefer the humor of OP, making it generally more fun to watch than Bleach and Naruto. Another thing I like about OP is that the characters tend to mix it up alot more in terms of their special abilities, thinking of new moves and variations all the time, unlike the Naruto/Bleach characters. Still, alot tend to be drawn more to the coolness factor of the other series.

Hype

Bleach and Naruto seem to have been hyped alot more which just built more and more interest in the series, which is probably due to the coolness factor I mentioned. So people are simply less likely to take a look at OP, unfortunately. Add to that the fact that the OP adaption doesn't do the original justice and it's understandable that OP doesn't score as well outside of Japan.

Size

While I can understand it can be a bit daunting to get started on OP when there are already over 200 episodes out, it's simply not a good argument especially when you consider that Naruto is also over 200 episodes for some time already and Bleach passed the 100 mark a while ago with more to come. Anyway, who cares how many episodes there are, it just means there's more entertainment to go through if it turns out to be to your liking. Unfortunately, I also got this as an argument when I tried to recommend it to someone, eventhough it's nonsense.
Old 2007-01-01, 17:48   Link #204
goozeygumgum
goozeygumgum

Send a message via AIM to goozeygumgum
one piece rocks out loud better than naruto!!!!

hey people i sighned on just to talk in this part of this site!!! i think one piece is way better than naruto but no doubt naruto is awsome. i think naruto is way too seriouse one piece has adventure in it which i really like!!! i want to make a poll on this site to see whats better naruto or one piece!!!!!
Old 2007-01-01, 17:53   Link #205
goozeygumgum
goozeygumgum

one piece is still better

yo yoy oy one piece is in da house!!!!
Old 2007-01-01, 17:54   Link #206
goozeygumgum
goozeygumgum

one piece is still better

i really like eiichiro odas style its really good i dont know about you guys but at my school one piece is the most popular. do any of you guys actually like one piece???
ii think one piece has all the action that could blow bleach and naruto away!!!
i also like how one piece is an original idea unlike one piece shinigamis and ninjas have already been done. but pirates havent even been thought up ever for an anime and manga.in my oppinion ninjas are way cooler than pirATES BUT THE WAY ONE PIECE HAS SO MUCH ACTION AND ADVENTURE BLOWS AWAY THE WHOLE IDEA OF NINJAS!!!!!
Old 2007-01-01, 17:58   Link #207
goozeygumgum
goozeygumgum

one piece is awsome but dbz is better!!!

i really like bleach naruto and one piece but dbz blows them all away!!! it has way more action than all of them combined and the fighting is amazing the characters in dbz are so cool some are goofy and funny too!!! just one of the characters in dbz could beat up all the characters in naruto op and bleach!!!!!
Old 2007-01-01, 18:00   Link #208
goozeygumgum
goozeygumgum

one piece is still cool!

i think the drawing style in one piece is just fine i just dont think people watch it enough to like it and most people dont even know about it because shonen jump doesnt even make any big advertisement for one piece!!!!it makes me mad!!!!
Old 2007-01-01, 19:35   Link #209
Climhazard
Funk Freed

Wow

You like to talk don't you
Old 2007-01-01, 20:14   Link #210
goozeygumgum
goozeygumgum

well duh!!! one piece is fun to talk about!!!
Old 2007-01-01, 20:53   Link #211
Climhazard
Funk Freed

Do you watch the One Piece that is on Cartoon Network with the english voices?
Old 2007-01-01, 22:57   Link #212
Xinil
Blargh

Send a message via ICQ to Xinil Send a message via AIM to Xinil
A lot of my friends have expressed that they don't want to watch One Piece because it seems extraordinarily "kiddy". As much as I try to tell them it isn't, they can't get past the 4Kids US version. I only watch it subbed, so I haven't been subjugated to the terrible and edited US release.

Trax brought up a lot of good points too. Basically everything he said I agree with.
Old 2007-01-01, 22:58   Link #213
Chuixupu
Shikachu

I sure hope not...4kids stupped dubbing it anyway.

PS - please don't keep posting one post after another, if you want to say something else, just edit your posts.
Old 2007-01-02, 17:36   Link #214
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

IMO Bleach is not popular than One peice , Naruto definately but not Bleach . Naruto and Bleach are pure shonen genre while One Peice is not that shonen compared to these two .

Also the dubbing and changes made to One Peice are pathetic . Sanji with a lolipop @_@
Old 2007-01-02, 19:30   Link #215
Climhazard
Funk Freed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Also the dubbing and changes made to One Peice are pathetic . Sanji with a lolipop @_@
I really don't understand that tbh, 4kids gave Sanji a lolipop instead of a cigarette but if you go and watch Disney's Alice In Wonderland theres a sadistic clam grooming walrus that smokes cigars(it makes sense if youve seen the film).....wheres the sense in that?
Old 2007-01-02, 19:41   Link #216
goozeygumgum
goozeygumgum

the tv show on 4 kids aint so bad but i watch one piece on you tube but i usually read them on one piece v.2 or one piece v.3. i have to admit sanji with a lolipop? where do they get that!!!
Old 2007-01-02, 19:42   Link #217
goozeygumgum
goozeygumgum

why do the people that dont like one piece always say its not pure manga or anime? one piece is as pure as it can get!!!
Old 2007-01-02, 20:04   Link #218
S_C_L-1

c'mon man... use the damn edit button...

this is a forum, not a chat room
Old 2007-01-03, 16:31   Link #219
willynilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climhazard View Post
I really don't understand that tbh, 4kids gave Sanji a lolipop instead of a cigarette but if you go and watch Disney's Alice In Wonderland theres a sadistic clam grooming walrus that smokes cigars(it makes sense if youve seen the film).....wheres the sense in that?
yea its makes no since cause if you look at the Naruto dub, you can see that they kept Asuma's cigarette, instead of replacing it with a tooth pick, lolipop or some other crappy replacement.
Old 2007-01-03, 17:04   Link #220
Chuixupu
Shikachu

It's because 4kids just has a certain way of doing things...they cater to the 4-7 children's audience, and edit for network broadcasting TV (subject ot the FCC), which prohibits a lot of things, including smoking in kids' shows. Viz decided to target Naruto to the 9-14 year old audience, and Cartoon Network does not have to kowtow to the FCC.
One Piece should have got the same treatment - I think that it was a big mistake to no do so, as the situation has proved thus.
Closed Thread