AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-02-25, 10:29   Link #1
Racheal
Super Robot War Player

Do you take anime seriously?

Anyone actually bought a reverse edged sword, starved for weeks, dyed your hair and started practicing swordplay that you see on animation?

And then challenging olympic medal fencing winners in duels if there is no japanese masters to be found?
Racheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 10:41   Link #2
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I've cosplayed, but never gotten THAT fanatical about it. I do have to admit though, there's been some anime's I've watched that have been both enjoyable, and very emotionally draining. KnGE was one of those anime. Talk about something that'll reach in and rip your heart out, then feed it back to you on a stick. Wow.

Again, I can't say that I get as fanatical as you state, but I do enjoy a cosplay from time to time.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 10:58   Link #3
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I never would cosplay because I have the feeling to dishonor the character I am trying to copy.
But I practiced swordplay. Just used no (Dai)Katana or other light weighted weapon but a 1&1/2 hander. That is so much fun. But to challenge olympic medal fencing winners with such a sword would be very unfair, because they could not block a slash of such a heavy sword with their sports weapons.
Old 2004-02-25, 11:03   Link #4
SirJeannot
AT Field

i've begun martial arts after seeing some dragon ball stuff
14 years after that, i don't regret being fanatic at all
Old 2004-02-25, 11:24   Link #5
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
i recently rewatched some hajime no ippo and it has reinforced my motivation to get in better shape... recently started doing lots of road work (well on treadmill because it's too damn could out here) and weight training...
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 12:05   Link #6
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I watched Hajime no Ippo and started to go to a gym... is that what you mean?
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 12:20   Link #7
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
I watched Hajime no Ippo and started to go to a gym... is that what you mean?
i've been going to the gym but haven't been consistent with it. but now i am making a motivated effort to stick to it...
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 12:22   Link #8
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

I've seen Dragonball Z and after that i tried to fly and power up .......but after many failed attempts i gave up and now i KNOW for certain anime is fake...unless i was doing something wrong
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 12:35   Link #9
Lambda

If an anime is meant seriously, I will certainly try to take it seriously. Those are of course rather silly suggestions of how one might do this. There are plenty of titles which really do have elements appropriate to application to real life, you just have to be selective.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 13:41   Link #10
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
I just watch the anime and love it, and i think that is to take anime seriously

But i dont do any cosplay or things like you explained
Wilcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 15:54   Link #11
raikage
日本語を食べません!

HnG motivated quite a bit of interest in the game.

I learned Japanese (surprisingly) NOT because of anime, although my anime path began around the same time.

Lambda explained it best - Trigun can teach you how decisions made in the past can affect the present and how well-intentioned idealism can sometimes be futile, but you don't have to go around in a red jacket with a huge gun trying to shoot wings off flies.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 16:44   Link #12
Lord Akuma
Fallen Angel

Send a message via MSN to Lord Akuma Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Akuma
I take anime as serious as I would liveaction. I often perfer it because there are no boundaries of what you can do. And besides I really like voice acting. ^^
Lord Akuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 17:04   Link #13
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I am serious about the anime itself but I take it as sheer fantasy. I enjoy watching shows and so on but it is just a form of entertainment. I enjoy thinking about what it is I am entertained by but that is just another pastime. I do not experience the deep identification some people do through RPGs or cosplay. To me, literature is a much more demanding and rewarding pastime.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 17:19   Link #14
Moon The Cat
Hoi!

Cool

I'm serious with anime as a hobby, and I like to talk about it, but I wouldn't go as far as cosplaying or trying to fly . I prefer to keep fantasy from reality.

*the school girls don't want me to take their panties*

See?! It works!
Moon The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 17:29   Link #15
DAK

Send a message via ICQ to DAK Send a message via AIM to DAK Send a message via MSN to DAK Send a message via Yahoo to DAK
HnG caused me to start playing Go.

As for cosplaying or anything.. yeah.. yeah I'm going to cosplay either Anime North or CNAnime. If that is what you define as taking anime too seriously.. yeah, yeah I do.
DAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 18:34   Link #16
ShadowX114
is my nickname

I kinda do take anime seriously, espically Captain Tsubasa. Each time I read it's mangas, my desir for playing soccer increases. Unfortunately, I can't.
ShadowX114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 18:35   Link #17
Kaoru
Pirate Girl Nyuu

Send a message via Yahoo to Kaoru
I've never cosplayed and probably never will since I can't pull any character off. Not unless you know of a female character with dark skin and waist length curly hair? Enlighten me.
After watching Kenshin I got alot more into swords and Japanese history--including the Shinsengumi. I've always been big on martial arts since I love kung fu cinema and old samurai dramas...so yeah I'm the dork who jumps around doing roundhouse kicks and "powering up my ki" *BATTLE YELL AHHHAHHHHHHINFINITI!!!* Or like learning the hand seals in Naruto even though I can't "summon" worth shit.
Cowboy Bebop got me into Yoko Kanno which then I became a J-rock/pop fan afterwards. Oh and Gravitation introduced me into the world of shounen-ai, followed by yaoi. I can go on and on. I've always kept my anime hobby as an interest and nothing more. I, too, love discussing anime shows and characters, but I don't think I'd attempt to emit power and fly, walk around with a sakabatou in 19th century Japan, become an omnipresence in the Internet, pilot a Gundam, transform into a magical girl, summon a giant frog, fight youkai, fall in love with an android, or use alchemy to produce a Hellsing Arms .454 Cassul and 13mm Jackal to fight Angels.

Although it does sound enticing.
Kaoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 18:53   Link #18
Mad Cat
You only live once!

Send a message via ICQ to Mad Cat
Lets se.
I a buddist now, I beat a certen person alot for systematicly killing a friend for 12 years (and hes dead now, suicide) and i got away with it, I pray witch i have never done.
Would never got the idea to beat that certen person if it wasent for anime .
Guess payback is sweet.

To thoes who alter thair looks just becouse of anime....GET A LIFE!
Mad Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 18:58   Link #19
nak
Squishy

Send a message via AIM to nak
I take it seriously in i love cosplaying and can't live a week without watching anime...And I get really serious about it when it comes to debating about it with other fans and defending the constant let downs it gets from ppl who know nothing and base all their opinions on animes such as dbz and monster ranchers and imitaions like Totally Spies on cartoon network. XP
nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 00:28   Link #20
Jin
Staked!

Send a message via AIM to Jin
No. I try to enjoy anime and don't take things too seriously. KGNE didn't make me shed a tear.
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote