AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-31, 01:42   Link #41
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've seen the first two episodes and I'm pretty enthusiastic at the moment. The plots evolved as you would expect. You could even say they evolved in a cliched way. But it was well done and emotionally satisfying.

The voice acting was pretty good. Erin's mother was very good, I thought. She's played by seiyuu/stage actress Hirata Eriko, who is doing an even better job as Lady Aoi in the new Genji (particularly a scene in ep3).

Erin herself is played by singer/actress/photo idol Hoshii Nanase, 20. This is her first seiyuu role. Photos: Hirata Eriko (left) and Hoshii Nanase:

YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-01-31 at 01:53.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 18:24   Link #42
jtstellar

the way Erin's mother is presented in this series so far.. the wrinkles around the eye, the expression around the mouth, the way of speech.. all seems excessively gloomy. in terms of my character preference, i think the gloomy model is near the bottom of my list. i wonder if she is portrayed the same way in the novels.
jtstellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 21:46   Link #43
scr
my sides are in orbit

this is one of the better anime this season, i'm expecting an epic to reveal itself.
(and yes, Eirin, err, Erin looks like Yotsuba )

hopefully it will be as good as Popolocrois.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 00:54   Link #44
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Not a bad couple of episodes to start the series off. Though I'm not feeling very optimistic about Erin's mother here. In both episodes she's close to being in trouble over Touda issues. Luckily the young touda was found in the first episode and they figured out the food/poison issue in the second episode. But sooner or later something might happen that doesn't have a good solution to it.

At any rate I'm hoping that Wadan gets eaten by a Touda or something. Needs to get over that he's simply not in the same class as Soyon. Amazed that guy still has a job with how much he seems to mess things up. Just thinking of it, but maybe Saju's sister is going to be forced to marry that guy. Might explain why she was so depressed at the mention of getting married in episode 2. After all having to spend the rest of your life with that guy would make anyone depressed .

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2009-02-02 at 01:11.
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 01:54   Link #45
Wuster

The mother has death flags written all over her . Be strong Erin!
Wuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-02, 17:54   Link #46
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Really nice choice for OP, the song is Shizuku .Though it does seem reminiscent of some other song . Cant point out which one exactly but great track choice: D
Old 2009-02-05, 02:24   Link #47
Hamu

I don't know about you, but the first time I heard the op it kind of reminded me of Akeboshi from Naruto's first ending song.

Just watched episode 3 and I love it so far. The whole mystery of the kiri tribe and Erin's mom past is really making a slow anime suspensful!
Hamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 06:44   Link #48
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 2

I was impressed by that. For what is essentially a kid's anime, that was really well written. The way they went about trying to figure out what was essentially a medical mystery... it was almost like an episode of House (minus the cynical yet magnetic lead). It's only been two episode, but I rather like what I've seen from this series so far.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 14:45   Link #49
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamu View Post
I don't know about you, but the first time I heard the op it kind of reminded me of Akeboshi from Naruto's first ending song.
Same here I kept thinking it's the same group who did the song (which is not case)
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 20:35   Link #50
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

I decided to blog only the subbed versions because episode three was quite involved. So far, Erin is my favorite anime of the Winter season

Episode 4 Photoessay.
Celestial Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 11:26   Link #51
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

Hrm, I can't help but feel ep 5 was rather underwhelming. Then again, I'm not very good with slower-paced anime...-wry- Nonetheless, I did do up some screenshots/a very brief summary.
jennkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-14, 22:53   Link #52
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

I've just watched Static-Subs Episode 3, and I think I'm going to like this show very much. It feels pretty much like most of Production IG's stuff recently, on the high end of watchable. They haven't really made any truly excellent stuff since Seirei no Moribito IMO, but since this is by the same author, I have some hope for it.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-15, 16:02   Link #53
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

I enjoyed this episode

Episode 5 Photoessay.
Celestial Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 02:26   Link #54
kamikazex

ep 6 wtf. cruel world man
kamikazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 06:49   Link #55
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

Yeah, episode 6 got me all edgy when I was watching/screenshotting it. I guess they have to have a
Spoiler:
jennkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 06:52   Link #56
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I have never wished for an anime character's death as worse than with Wodan. That man needs a horrible fate.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 07:17   Link #57
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 3

I realize that was didactic, but I don't care. For a kid's anime, this is seriously smart, and it's exploring a theme about nature and animals that resonates with reality.

The potential of this anime seems to be growing with each episode.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 13:19   Link #58
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ep 3

I realize that was didactic, but I don't care. For a kid's anime, this is seriously smart, and it's exploring a theme about nature and animals that resonates with reality.

The potential of this anime seems to be growing with each episode.
I expect, being more of a children's anime, it will try to be moderately didactic, but so far the direction has been top notch and it has never really felt preachy to me.

Also, we are beginning to see more of the politics of the nation come about which should prove interesting. Hopefully we will get to see Erin mature as a person, mentally if not physically, and seeing as it's a 50 episode series, I think we will.
Old 2009-02-17, 18:25   Link #59
itisjustme

Had high hopes seeing as this has the same author/producer as Seirei no Moribito but..

After two episodes, the art/animation looks lower budget, the pacing is really slow, especially at the beginning where you're supposed to hook the audience, none of the characters feel interesting so far, the mother looks so sickly she's almost a pain to watch and Erin looks far from being able to carry a show on her own the way Balsa did. Disappointing. =/

Does it get any better later on?
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 19:09   Link #60
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
Had high hopes seeing as this has the same author/producer as Seirei no Moribito but..

After two episodes, the art/animation looks lower budget, the pacing is really slow, especially at the beginning where you're supposed to hook the audience, none of the characters feel interesting so far, the mother looks so sickly she's almost a pain to watch and Erin looks far from being able to carry a show on her own the way Balsa did. Disappointing. =/

Does it get any better later on?
You have to understand that this is aimed at a completely different audience than Moribito. It is for kids, almost, though I'd say 11-13 year olds for my part.
Hence they are trying to cut down on the violence by drawing in absolutely brilliant pastel art. Contrary to what others may think, this was an excellent decision, since it allows us to look at things from a child's point of view without decreasing the drama. The art is already better than so many other shows that are airing (understandable, since it's IG and all...), and I personally can't see anything worth complaining about.

If you've been following the economic trends lately, most animation studios in Japan are facing serious problems, and having to resort to layoffs or being completely safe in their choice of productions (like Asu no Yoichi, Akikan, yet another Higurashi spinoff, more FMA, the Eureka 7 movie... and Gonzo letting 3/4 of their employees go.). IG is taking a huge financial risk in doing Erin, and as a 50 episode series no less.

Erin is a completely believeable character, acting like a real child, quite innocent, and eager to help those around her. She has normal friends, and a hardworking single mother, she likes animals and nature. Perhaps she does not capture the audience like Balsa, but what will be interesting is how she will grow throughout this series.
I have many expectations of Erin, and I'm quite sure it/she will not disappoint.

Tags
fantasy, production i.g.