AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-13, 03:23   Link #1
ChibiMenos
Gillian-class Chibi

Looking for a specific kind of character/situation...

I'm getting a little tired of how, with almost everything I've tried to start watching, when the main character gets some kind of special power/ability, she or he just freaks out and starts going on and on about how they just can't do this. Magical girl shows seem to be especially prone to this, and cute animal sidekicks do NOT help. (I did enjoy Alien 9 and Shugo Chara!, though, maybe because in those cases it actually seemed to fit the character's personality?)

I'd really like some recommendations of anime where the main character gains some sort of supernatural power and immediately accepts it and maybe even enjoys having it. I want strong characters who kick butt and have fun doing it. If there's a magical girl show that starts after the heroine is fully comfortable with her powers, that might do it.

I guess another possible example of the kind of thing I mean would be Death Note--Light was hesitant to use the note at first, but he got over that relatively quickly...it didn't take 3-4 episodes. Although less evil is preferred.
Old 2008-02-13, 03:47   Link #2
oompa loompa

kaze no stigma i guess... kazuma is as powerful as he can get at the start of the show.. i didnt really like it too much but it does have pretty good ratings, and it does fit your description as well..trigun as well.. vash is as good as hell ever be at the start.. but he doesnt like fighting..

hmm youve probably already seen these shows, can you give a list of the shows uve already seen?
Old 2008-02-13, 03:52   Link #3
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Code Geass fits perfectly. He uses the power to get himself out of a tight situation seconds after he acquires it.
Old 2008-02-13, 04:07   Link #4
ChibiMenos
Gillian-class Chibi

I've seen Trigun before, but not the others. Really didn't like Vash at all when things got serious, he was much better for the comic relief.

I don't actually have a list--I know, I should , but I've only finished maybe 10-12 series and tried a couple episodes of maybe 15-20 others? So pretty much anything suggested, I won't have watched.

Code Geass sounds as if it may be worth a try.
Old 2008-02-13, 04:19   Link #5
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiMenos View Post
Code Geass sounds as if it may be worth a try.
I strongly suggest that you give it a try. Lelouch was this forum's favorite male lead by a landslide for 2007. He seems like a bastard like Light on the outside, but really he is just trying to be a good brother deep inside. Too complex to be explained, but keep this in mind since you prefer "less evil". I'm just saying, he seems evil, but look deeper.
Old 2008-02-13, 04:22   Link #6
jedinat

Red Garden! J/k... Only watch if you enjoy watching girls freaking out almost to the very end.

R.O.D - the TV
Witch Hunter Robin
In those two the girls already have their powers and the gaining of it isn't really even addressed.
Kurau Phantom Memory - the protagonist very competently and cooly takes advantage of her powers; she gains her power in a rather unique way that totally sidesteps the issue of having to deal with it....
Old 2008-02-13, 05:24   Link #7
tbl
Affably Evil

I strongly second Code Geass, it fits perfectly. It pretty much goes like this: gets power > uses power > evil laugh.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-02-13, 17:12   Link #8
Niji

Maybe those would fit, if I recall correctly:

Tenjou Tenge - more than one char find a special ability, and just take and use it
Shounen Onmiyouji - the "find ability" part happens early though, not sure that is what you are looking for.

Kinda hard to tell more and not give it away I can say so much, SO has the most adorable char in anime history in my opinion
Old 2008-02-13, 17:14   Link #9
gh0stmice
*Artist

Shakugan no Shana ....shes magical and shes a girl and she knows how to kick ass from the "get-go".....24 episode for the first season and the second season is still being released...

claymore....she is supernatural...she accepts it....and really bad ass music comes on every time she gets into a battle..(only if you can get past the whiny borderline homosexual sidekick "raki") its rather good

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann this isn't about magical girls its about "spiral power" mecha robots....simon discovers his power and is slightly hesitant but because of his omega"GAR" manly and encouarging friend Kamina is able to push those uncomfortable feelings aside and fight...all happening within the first episode...
Old 2008-02-13, 17:26   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In Noein Haruka is remarkably accepting of her unique power and place in the universe though she's not always happy about the implications or consequences.
Old 2008-02-13, 17:42   Link #11
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Code Geass indeed. And antivoting TTGL, because great a show as it is, there is plenty of hesitance.
Old 2008-02-13, 19:09   Link #12
ChibiMenos
Gillian-class Chibi

I watched the first episode of Code Geass, and I can definitely see what you guys are talking about. Definitely gonna watch more!

I'll try out some of these other series, too, once I get home from campus...
Old 2008-02-13, 19:31   Link #13
Freeze

S-cry-Ed seems like a good fit for what you're looking for. Now granted the show doesn't start with the main character discovering his powerful ability he does have a hell of a time using it, and the show is pretty action packed. Also the show kind of has 2 main characters as the show goes on, one as the good guy and the other starts out as a semi-bad guy but you see that he has good intentions later on. And even though the series can seem clichéd at some points its hard not to like the show just from how good it is. The dub is also pretty awesome.

Also there are 2 series that also fit what you're looking for Bleach and Naruto They both pretty much accept their special abilities basically immediately, but with Naruto the series started out awesome but after the 100+ episodes of pointless filler and the new series Naruto Shippuden its just lost alot of the quality that it had and the show pretty much sucks now but your tastes might differ fro mine so you might think differently. And as for Bleach the show is pretty good, it also gets into a 60 ep filler but its a whole arc which is actually alright. There is also Inuyasha but that show doesn't really have an ending unless you want to read the manga after you see all the eps.
Old 2008-02-13, 19:43   Link #14
ChibiMenos
Gillian-class Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
S-cry-Ed seems like a good fit for what you're looking for. Now granted the show doesn't start with the main character discovering his powerful ability he does have a hell of a time using it, and the show is pretty action packed. Also the show kind of has 2 main characters as the show goes on, one as the good guy and the other starts out as a semi-bad guy but you see that he has good intentions later on. And even though the series can seem clichéd at some points its hard not to like the show just from how good it is. The dub is also pretty awesome.

Also there are 2 series that also fit what you're looking for Bleach and Naruto They both pretty much accept their special abilities basically immediately, but with Naruto the series started out awesome but after the 100+ episodes of pointless filler and the new series Naruto Shippuden its just lost alot of the quality that it had and the show pretty much sucks now but your tastes might differ fro mine so you might think differently. And as for Bleach the show is pretty good, it also gets into a 60 ep filler but its a whole arc which is actually alright. There is also Inuyasha but that show doesn't really have an ending unless you want to read the manga after you see all the eps.
I've heard of S-cry-Ed but haven't tried it yet--I might check it out.

I have seen Bleach, though (points to avvie and username) and I have to disagree with you. Certainly very much at the beginning, though less so as the series progresses, Ichigo doesn't want to use his Shinigami abilities. He does accept it right away, because his family is in danger and he feels he has no other choice, but then Rukia has to spend just about forever convincing him to be less selfish and whiny. Chad is a much better example of what I'm looking for.
Old 2008-02-13, 19:45   Link #15
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

it should be mentioned that S-cry-ed and Code Geass were directed by the same guy. I have the distinct feeling you will be a fan of his soon XD/
Old 2008-02-13, 22:32   Link #16
NightSamurai

Gantz more or less fits your description, though it is a more graphic show (excessive nudity and violence). Also the anime ends rather abruptly, I would suggest the manga, though the anime is not bad.
Old 2008-02-14, 04:26   Link #17
tbl
Affably Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSamurai View Post
Gantz more or less fits your description, though it is a more graphic show (excessive nudity and violence). Also the anime ends rather abruptly, I would suggest the manga, though the anime is not bad.
As much as I think Gantz is awesome, it's Kei's progression into accepting his role which adds so much to the story.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-02-14, 05:01   Link #18
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
These anime aren't mentioned before, but I believe that Seirei no Moribito, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo fits. The only problem with these three is that the main characters don't gain their power as the anime progresses, but rather, they start the anime with these powers. One thing for sure, though, is that they won't freak out and start debating if they can do it or not.
Old 2008-02-14, 14:55   Link #19
Smithsky

I would like to suggest Busou Renkin
Old 2008-02-15, 05:58   Link #20
NightSamurai

True Kei does progress throughout the show both in power and mentally (more in the manga than the anime), but his gaining of power happens quite suddenly and he doesn't hesitate to use his newfound power.
Closed Thread