AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-14, 06:38   Link #161
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
And he was about to apologize wasn't he. Remember that Shinji had these bursts out as well and ended up apologizing for them.
Ryuuji realized that it's his fault. He realized that it reminds him of his father. While Shinji's just afraid to be rejected. He hates himself too much.
Quote:
And Ryuuji has a high self-esteem? Because of his father and his looks? Somehow I do not think so. He does seem to have a complex with this specially in the beginning of the series.
He does not have high self-esteem. But at least higher than Shinji's.
Quote:
P.S. We should stop this. It is obvious that you and I like to argue a lot and have a the last word upon this, but it seems that neither will convince the other and just end up this thread getting locked up like Ami's was.
Good idea but how can we resolve this?
Old 2008-12-14, 06:53   Link #162
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rave_master16 View Post
Ryuuji realized that it's his fault. He realized that it reminds him of his father. While Shinji's just afraid to be rejected. He hates himself too much.
Shinji does not hate himself. Not in the beginning of the series.

Quote:
He does not have high self-esteem. But at least higher than Shinji's.
Again you are mixing it with the ending Shinji. The Shinji in the beginning did not think "I am the lowest" or something among those lines. He was acting normal. Not high-self esteem but not self-hatred either. Don't mix it in.

Quote:
Good idea but how can we resolve this?
No way out as it seems...and round we go.
Old 2008-12-14, 07:09   Link #163
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

So if it is the end Shinji will you agree with me?
Because I always compare Ryuuji to the end Shinji. I already admit in my earlier posts that begin Shinji can be compared to him but not the end Shinji.
Old 2008-12-14, 08:10   Link #164
Darknemo2000

Yes, I would agree with you.

The problem lies that Shinji got himself into such situations that were much more stressful and brought the worst out of him. Since people call him a wimp and doormat as his general character feature (as in he was so as he and from the beginning of the series) then I have to call Ryuuji like that too as he does carry a lot of similarities with Shinji.

Though again this leaves a question can we call a wimpiness and the wuss him as in character feature when this is something that situation created and pushed him into. Maybe we could call it more that this is what a broken passive person with low-self esteem looks. Passiveness turns into total listlessness to the world and owns personal life.

Its just that Toradora is more about mending such character thus Ryuuji gets stronger as his relationship with Taiga and everyone else does, while Evangelion is about total break of such character (and then revival but only to the very end as a small notes of hope in a symphony of despair).

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2008-12-14 at 08:26.
Old 2008-12-14, 08:46   Link #165
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

At some point I agree with you. Yeah maybe if Shinji was in this anime (Toradora) we might get a better comparison between him and Ryuuji. Unfortunately, NGE is darker and tend to break the characters into pychological hysteria, while Toradora is lighter.
I'm just surprised you compared him to Shinji.
Spoiler for END:

We could have better comparison if Ryuuji experience what Shinji's or vice versa.
Old 2008-12-14, 11:04   Link #166
Darknemo2000

Well my main point is that their basic characteristics are very similar and since people tend to criticize Shinji for his basic characteristics then one can criticize Ryuuji in a similar fashion.

Spoiler for End:
Old 2009-02-07, 08:35   Link #167
Tatakae

In episode 18, Ami tells Ryûji that he treats Taiga like an overprotective father. That's a good explication for his behavior towards Taiga, but then again, I somehow got the feeling, over the series run, that he is more like a (big) brother to Taiga, a good-natured 兄さん who tries to protect his little sister from whatever inconvenience she might bump into due to her brash exterior and clumsiness.
Old 2009-02-07, 11:38   Link #168
Deathscyther

Ryuuji often acts like a father/brother to people (Taiga, Kitamura, Yasuko, etc). This is probably because of his caring nature, the fact that he wants everything to be perfect (especially when it comes to cleaning) and the fact that he grew up without a father and a 'childish' mother.

But somehow these feelings are even stronger when it comes to Taiga. He's even becoming irritated/jealous by the fact that everyone's trying to hook up Taiga with Kitamura.

One could say that this is fatherly instinct...that he doesn't want to give his 'daughter' to another man, but don't forget that Ryuuji actually helped Taiga with trying to get together with Kitamura in the first place. He also seems happy when he sees Taiga smiling/being happy around Kitamura. So I'd say that Ryuuji has given his 'daughter' permission to get together with Kitamura already.

Then why is he irritated and uneasy about this whole thing? It seems like even Ryuuji himself doesn't really understand. He'll just have to find the answer himself.

So yeah, I don't buy that father/daughter thing. It might have started everything, but his feelings have unconsciouly grown since then and imo it'll be a matter of time until he finds out how much.
Old 2009-02-07, 17:27   Link #169
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
I have this tremendous fear that Ryuuji is going down the same character development path that happened Ayase Yuuto in the "Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu" series. A male character who starts out as a likeable caretaker --------> has an incredibly amazing moment in the middle...yet fades into the shy male character cliche that we've seen far too often.

It's just becoming increasingly big with this new arc of him during Christmas Time. It just feels like he's been too irritated and quiet during this whole time despite all of the positives going around him. Taiga is being very open and kind to him and it just feels like he doesn't care. It's becoming more like all of the girls are having this fantastic development that all encircles around him. And he can't really make a strong response to it.

It just feels like the girls are all overshadowing his character. We don't even know how he feels towards Christmas. He didn't really say much when Taiga discussed her history and why she chooses to believe in a being like Santa Claus. Because everyone wants to be watched over. It's kind of confusing how he wasn't thinking to himself about this major change because even the small activities from Minori, Ami and Taiga cause him to think.

Ami was completely right though when she said to him how he always plays the father in this "house" scenario. Think to Episode 17 and Taiga is absolutely astonished by Christmas. And his concern is: "There's probably going to be a sale at the supermarket..."

What just concerns me with Ryuuji is that he isn't being given enough development during this arc. The only things we really know is that he really wants Minori to come to the dance and that he feels a bit unsettled by Kitamura and Taiga. (Who didn't hang out much this episode) I guess you could say that while his relationship with Taiga has slowly evolved, you have to wonder why he has stayed the same. Probably even more housekeeper-like than normal.
Old 2009-02-08, 15:09   Link #170
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Ryuuji is currently a white card. He doesn't know how he feels for Taiga, his feelings for Minori grow stronger but Ami's warning keeps him thinking.I feel sorry for the poor guy,he doesn't even know what he wants right now.
Old 2009-02-21, 06:56   Link #171
FeDeR

I think his feelings to Minori are same, but he is not really sure for who he attempts to chase Minori once more for himself or for Taiga, then in the end he founds out that it is for Taiga and he is astonished by this facts. Actually I think they didn't develop his character because it will follow in next episodes. However, it would be lame if he will not end up with anybody leaving this to next season. I really think he should stay with Taiga because I just can't see her lonely and unhappy anymore, as well as Ryuji. So if he will notice Taiga's feelings to him it will just end up with him and her dating. Ami should help him with it by giving him so many hints, and Minori gonna help him as well in their final confession. If this will not happen I will think that this is a failure anime with a perfect beginning and poor end. So we will see how Ryuuji will respond in the following episodes, and this will end up with his decisive showdown with himself. I really hope he will choose Taiga, because it is most obvious final, after all, and mostly nobody will dislike it. And in new season it will be fun to see how Ami gonna take back Ryuuji. =) Let's pray for this ending)
Old 2009-02-21, 10:22   Link #172
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Ryuuji is currently a white card. He doesn't know how he feels for Taiga, his feelings for Minori grow stronger but Ami's warning keeps him thinking.I feel sorry for the poor guy,he doesn't even know what he wants right now.
Please remember something about Ryuuji, it is the first in his life that he has something like a gruop of friends, before everybody fear him... he is the same than Taiga in that, he has Kitamura and Taiga Minori, but nothing else.

So when Taiga and Ryuuji meet each other, they started a journey in a totally unknown world for them...
Old 2009-02-21, 10:52   Link #173
SageGaiGar
You are Next

He seems in the end of the last episode to have atleast gotten slightly more 'bold'. It'd be worse for him not knowing how Minorin felt since he may second-guess himself in the future with "what ifs". So confirming for himself the situation may stir the pot up (and lol Ami shippers it still looks it'll take a miracle of Clannad proportions)

Also, the more someone tries to go against their 'fate', the more it can be caused. In this case, all the scheming and planning will likely go awry. Occam's razor anyone?

Though it can be ignored for dramatic purposes.

I agree that Taiga and Ryuuji are in the same boat of not having had any friends (other than their counterpart best friends) so they are both going through a similiar experience. Where it goes is still up in the air.
Old 2009-02-28, 21:51   Link #174
PNGO
#1 in ♦YouR♦ ♥HuRt♥ ♂

Am I the only one that actually hates this character? It's so weird, first time I hate a male lead character in a series, specially when I have watched every episode.
Old 2009-03-01, 15:27   Link #175
Serpentess

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeDeR View Post
I really hope he will choose Taiga, because it is most obvious final, after all, and mostly nobody will dislike it. And in new season it will be fun to see how Ami gonna take back Ryuuji. =) Let's pray for this ending)
I hate to say it but there won't be another season... Light Novel is ending and anime following it's storyline will also end. (I am sure in 99%)

About Ryuji... I feel bad about his development - the way he is. From the beginning I felt he is similar to me, especially lacking many friends. Later they almost dropped this idea - he might have scary face but after few episodes nobody cares about it.
And his progress... He does almost nothing to get closer to Minori (Taiga is working for him) and about Taiga. He shows he cares for her but I see it more like caring for younger sister (or how Ami describes it - he plays father in this house game). How many episodes we have left? 2-5? I hope there will be more than those two we are sure about because geting everything clear now would be difficult after all this mess from episodes 19 and 21.

Now about pairings:
RyujiXTaiga - well... Obvious and vary possible. Ryuji will take care of her and she will... hmm... Taiga... umm... I know - she will just be his midget girlfriend. No offense - I just think that there won't be much a change between them if they start dating. For me the worst ending possible.
RyujiXAmi - why not? I noticed Ryuji is the only person who sees Ami in different way. It wasn't that hard to notice after all. And how Ami states it they are both moon. Shame it is least possible pairing in the end. I don't mind this pairing if it happens - just feel bad about Ryuji - he would be teased all the time.
RyujiXMinori - After episodes 19-21 I lost my hope for this ending. Add KitamuraXTaiga and we have 4/5 main characters happy. Two couples connected as a group of friends by Ami. After all Ryuji need some energy in his life and Minori is the best source. For me the best option, too bad author don't think the same way.
Old 2009-03-01, 17:33   Link #176
(o^^)-o*(x_x)*

Read this on 4chan (of all places) and found it interesting enough to copy it. So, I'll just leave this here:

Quote:
Ryuuji isn't very well liked because he looks angry all the time. His denseness is his defense mechanism against his off-putting looks, but he isn't a retard. It's just his defense mechanism kicking in, because he's always been wondering if there were going to be people ever liking him.

He's a very nice guy and he's very perceptive of other people's needs, too. However he can't reciprocate or even understand Ami's suggestions or even Taiga's actions because he cannot simply understand that people like them could ever like them romantically. I think it's very realistic; I mean, if I befriended a hot model and she'll insinuate that she'd like me I'll think it's just all bullshit and I'll just be hurt eventually. That's what Ryuuji thinks about Ami, and that's why she could never get her emotions through. In addition to that, he hasn't realized Taiga realized her emotions for him because he simply plays his role as a father.

Taiga as a girlfriend to him, while subconsciously desired, isn't really one of his visible options: to him, he's a father and a guiding hand even if subconsciously the imaginary house they built among themselves is toppling down. This was why Ami was angry toward Minori: things can't always stay the same, and that's why she tries her best to reveal the truth of everyone involved. She herself has invested her feelings that she couldn't see it end as it had begun.
Old 2009-03-04, 06:34   Link #177
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2

Hehehehe
Old 2009-03-04, 14:00   Link #178
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentess View Post
I hate to say it but there won't be another season... Light Novel is ending and anime following it's storyline will also end. (I am sure in 99%)

RyujiXAmi - why not? I noticed Ryuji is the only person who sees Ami in different way. It wasn't that hard to notice after all. And how Ami states it they are both moon. Shame it is least possible pairing in the end. I don't mind this pairing if it happens - just feel bad about Ryuji - he would be teased all the time.
RyujiXMinori - After episodes 19-21 I lost my hope for this ending. Add KitamuraXTaiga and we have 4/5 main characters happy. Two couples connected as a group of friends by Ami. After all Ryuji need some energy in his life and Minori is the best source. For me the best option, too bad author don't think the same way.
The tragedy in the story of Ami is that it shows how *timing* and *first impressions* is just as important as anything else when romance is involved. Ami really lost the game with Ryuuji in the first few moves. Ryuuji simply will not trust her beyond a certain point. She showed up a few months late and then she got off on the wrong foot. That's why she's always looking pissed -- because she's smart enough to know this but not quite skilled enough to keep it bottled up (as we saw in ep 21). One thing Ami seems to have learned in spades is that presenting false face to the world is ultimately a losing way to go.

Minori's tragedy is similar to Sumire's and amplified by her love of Taiga. Minori has goals and direction. A boyfriend would delete or derail those (yeah, this is Japan where women still tend to shut down their careers when they marry). Her heart wants someone like Ryuuji but her brain is focused on her goals, like Sumire.
Old 2009-03-04, 23:18   Link #179
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by (o^^)-o*(x_x)* View Post
Read this on 4chan (of all places) and found it interesting enough to copy it. So, I'll just leave this here:
That's very wonderfully written, if I dare say so myself.
Old 2009-03-07, 10:19   Link #180
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by (o^^)-o*(x_x)* View Post
I think I just found a gem in the middle of a dung pile.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters