AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Rating
Perfect 10 236 64.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 95 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-23, 00:40   Link #461
revive4563

Kyon is not selfish but he has bad taste in girl.
Old 2010-12-23, 00:54   Link #462
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by revive4563 View Post
That's an interesting thought (mainly because I don't see it often on this board).

Where do you think he has bad tastes in girls, though?

Is it...

1) His preference for ponytails over no ponytails?

2) His preference for no glasses over glasses?

3) His preference for normal Nagato over Disappearance Nagato?

4) His complete adoration of Mikuru?

5) His overall take on Haruhi?

Just curious about which of these you mean by your comment on him having "bad taste in girls".
Old 2010-12-23, 01:03   Link #463
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Q: Did Kyon died near the end from the stab wound and merge back to the Dec 18th self?
Old 2010-12-23, 01:43   Link #464
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive4563 View Post
For what it's worth, if you're implying that Kyon reverted the world because he preferred Haruhi to Yuki, that's not at all the case. If he was interested in Haruhi the person, he could've just stayed in the alternate universe, since she had exactly the same personality there.

While there may truly be attraction between Kyon and any of the girls, at the end of the day, any preference shown in Disappearance is solely founded upon the premise of "the old world is more fun."
Old 2010-12-23, 01:53   Link #465
Clarste
Human

"Fun" in this case being defined by being surrounded by time travelers and aliens and ESPers. It's a really a callback to the very beginning of the show, when he was talking about how he had given up on living in an SF world. Despite his appearance of cynicism, he's really living out his childhood dream now.
Old 2010-12-23, 06:57   Link #466
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

And choosing the old world over the new world should not be mistaken for choosing Haruhi over whatever. I don't know why some people interpret this as such.
Old 2010-12-23, 09:17   Link #467
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's an interesting thought (mainly because I don't see it often on this board).

Is it...

1) His preference for ponytails over no ponytails?

2) His preference for no glasses over glasses?

3) His preference for normal Nagato over Disappearance Nagato?

4) His complete adoration of Mikuru?

5) His overall take on Haruhi?

Just curious about which of these you mean by your comment on him having "bad taste in girls".
#4 above. Younger Mikuru comes off as too whiny IMO...she really is only useful as a mascot and not much else. The older one seems slightly more independent though, thankfully.
Old 2010-12-23, 10:44   Link #468
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
And choosing the old world over the new world should not be mistaken for choosing Haruhi over whatever. I don't know why some people interpret this as such.
I expect it's because the people who made the movie took some creative liberties with Kyon's monologue near the end and equated choosing the original world over the new one with choosing Haruhi over Yuki. I don't believe the original text made any such implication.
Old 2010-12-23, 12:43   Link #469
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
I expect it's because the people who made the movie took some creative liberties with Kyon's monologue near the end and equated choosing the original world over the new one with choosing Haruhi over Yuki. I don't believe the original text made any such implication.
Even though I feel Kyon will ultimately end up with Haruhi I also get the impression that the anime adds little things and puts emphasis on things that pushes Kyon/Haruhi even further than we see in the novels.
Old 2010-12-23, 14:15   Link #470
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
#4 above. Younger Mikuru comes off as too whiny IMO...she really is only useful as a mascot and not much else. The older one seems slightly more independent though, thankfully.
Yeah, I agree with you here.
Old 2010-12-23, 14:19   Link #471
revive4563

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple_r View Post
that's an interesting thought (mainly because i don't see it often on this board).

Is it...

1) his preference for ponytails over no ponytails?

2) his preference for no glasses over glasses?

3) his preference for normal nagato over disappearance nagato?

4) his complete adoration of mikuru?

5) his overall take on haruhi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer_2k4 View Post
for what it's worth, if you're implying that kyon reverted the world because he preferred haruhi to yuki, that's not at all the case. If he was interested in haruhi the person, he could've just stayed in the alternate universe, since she had exactly the same personality there.

While there may truly be attraction between kyon and any of the girls, at the end of the day, any preference shown in disappearance is solely founded upon the premise of "the old world is more fun."
I mean that simply Kyon has bad taste in girls as having said that Asakura heard it from Kunikida in the elevator. Therefore, even if most of us sympathize with Yuki, what if Kyon loves Haruhi truly, it's possibly a complete beautiful ending in his own way.

Sadly, in spite of Yuki was a creator and even protagonist of that world but after all Haruhi became a heroine because Kyon who has bad taste in girls refused the world of Yuki. I really want to see the world that Yuki hoped.

Because I love Yuki.
Old 2010-12-23, 14:46   Link #472
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Even though I feel Kyon will ultimately end up with Haruhi I also get the impression that the anime adds little things and puts emphasis on things that pushes Kyon/Haruhi even further than we see in the novels.
Given Tanigawa's involvement with the production of the anime I don't believe he has any problems with these implications either.
Old 2010-12-23, 15:32   Link #473
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

Finally watched it.. God was this movie awesome! The decision to make this arc/chapter into a movie was definitely a perfect one minus the wait lol.
This movie reminded me of how great, epic and mindblowing the storyline of Suzumiya Haruhi was and will be, much like with season one and maybe season two too... Multiple Time travelling!
Best scene IMO was the scene where Kyon was confronting himself with questions and head-stepping.
Let's not forget the "Thank You" scene by Nagato at the near end
Oh ya long haired ponytail Haruhi in sport attire was
Old 2010-12-23, 17:16   Link #474
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Given Tanigawa's involvement with the production of the anime I don't believe he has any problems with these implications either.
Well perhaps and perhaps it is not such a bad idea to have more Haruhi/Kyon hints in the anime.

But I do think it might lead to some incorrect interpretations such as Kyon choosing Haruhi over Yuki which was not the point of Kyon's decision.
Old 2010-12-23, 17:21   Link #475
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Watched it once more. There really are a lot of reflections everywhere in the movie.
Old 2010-12-23, 21:55   Link #476
Akka

This movie was great. Too bad most of the plot had been spoiled to me last year because of plenty of idiots who spilled basically all the beans from the novels during the Endless Eight discussions.

But I've to say : Kyon is an idiot.
Kyon, if you don't want the alternate Yuki, give her to me
Old 2010-12-23, 22:32   Link #477
Clarste
Human

Eh, shy girls are everywhere. How often do you meet aliens, time travelers or ESPers though?

As for Kyon's taste in "strange" girls, that doesn't just mean Haruhi. Yuki's pretty strange herself.

Spoiler for novel 9:
Old 2010-12-24, 00:37   Link #478
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Eh, shy girls are everywhere. How often do you meet aliens, time travelers or ESPers though?

As for Kyon's taste in "strange" girls, that doesn't just mean Haruhi. Yuki's pretty strange herself.

Spoiler for novel 9:
Ah yes. You don't usually describe an alien as being strange

I have been wondering... When Asakura was going to deliver the coupe de grace, a Yuki grabs the knife. Which Yuki? I would guess it's normal Yuki since apparently later on I think Kyon et al goes back in time to fix things once and for all. But I thought it would be cool that a timid and shy girl like Alt!Yuki works up the courage to grab a knife with her bare hands.

Also, Kyon has massive balls to look at his dying self and talk to him in such a nonchalant way. Assuming that's Kyon, of course.
Old 2010-12-24, 01:01   Link #479
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
Ah yes. You don't usually describe an alien as being strange

I have been wondering... When Asakura was going to deliver the coupe de grace, a Yuki grabs the knife. Which Yuki? I would guess it's normal Yuki since apparently later on I think Kyon et al goes back in time to fix things once and for all. But I thought it would be cool that a timid and shy girl like Alt!Yuki works up the courage to grab a knife with her bare hands.

Also, Kyon has massive balls to look at his dying self and talk to him in such a nonchalant way. Assuming that's Kyon, of course.
Technically, he already knows he'll be fine though, so the him that isn't dying on the ground has the luxury of being nonchalant about it...notwithstanding the whole time paradox thing and all of course

I'm kind of disappointed Asakura didn't receive better treatment though...I think I remember feeling the same way from the novel translation. Gotta suck to be given a new life in a worldwhere everyone is "normal" and be the only person recreated as a psychopathic killer...again.
Old 2010-12-24, 01:15   Link #480
Clarste
Human

Wouldn't it suck more to be recreated as an entirely different person though? Asakura is a psychopathic killer. Any version of her that isn't isn't Asakura.
Closed Thread

Tags
best movie ever, haruhi suzumiya