Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-18, 22:44   Link #2261
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I guess I’m not as lucky as you Genji. I’ve read the original manga before I watched the anime so I almost felt nothing but disdain for the animated adaptation. Almost. Thank god the seiyuus were doing a good job voicing the characters (especially Yami Yugi). The card battles (when it’s good) are exciting to watch, plus the decent and distinguished score made the anime kinda entertaining when you watch it one episode a week.
Yeah... I even bought "pirated cards"
Old 2013-02-20, 07:55   Link #2262
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Toradora- I found it annoying and just awful. It was just another shitty anime with shitty characters that they're pumping out these days. But for some reason people keep saying it's a really good comedy/romance. I see shitty characters, no humor (no that stuff is not funny), no plot. I guess most people who rave about this show have yet to see kodomo no omocha??? Just a word of advice, if you don't like the first ep or it doesn't leave an impression, just drop it.... I forgot when I dropped it but I totally wasted my internet downloading it (at the time, I don't know if this anime is licensed now but...) since I got the whole thing because of the praise. The last time where something was praised but when i watched it I felt infuriated and irritated was Love Hina. Anyways, this review totalllllly gave me catharsis.

Oh and I'm really sick of people saying maybe you're just not that into the romance/comedy drama just because you didn't like whatever comedy/romance that's popular. There's a difference between comedy/romance that is so well-done that it can be enjoyed by guys and gals and ones that are crappy with shitty characters etc etc.
Old 2013-02-20, 15:55   Link #2263
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

The first Nanoha series is, bar none, the worst anime I've ever seen, it's so uninteresting yet oh so disgusting with extremely horrendous music and the laziest monster of the week designs ever come across with the closest thing rivaling the last category being Ultimate Girls. *shrivels* Yet, somehow, it is considered some weird cult hit to the point that the first two series got a US release and was received well. I really detest loli related anything, fan service included. I just don't get why it has such a big audience.

Other series fitting this criteria are Mai-Hime, Kampfer, Madoka Magica, Utena, Rayearth, and Mai-Otome. I ask people what the appeal is and I usually get "Cause characters and plot and masterful art and deconstruction and gracefully aging and being psychologically deep with metaphors and historical milestone and fan service etcetra!" I am exaggerating a tad on that last part, but whenever I ask something such as "well how is that a good thing?" or "care to explain how?" or "you have proper things to compare your series, right?" and every time without fail they either go "oh hush/GFTO" or "you're an uneducated git that does not have a taste for the finer society so get some standards worth a darn!" Either I have a bad habit of never encountering moderate/casual fans or the primary audience consists of a lot of snobs. I know there are fans of this stuff that aren't, but I have yet to encounter them.
Old 2013-02-20, 16:26   Link #2264
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistressy View Post
Fairy Tale. Enough said.
I don't know such an anime........
Old 2013-02-20, 16:52   Link #2265
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
I know there are fans of this stuff that aren't, but I have yet to encounter them.
Hello, nice to meet you.

I'm only speaking for Madoka here. To me putting archetypes in a new environment that questions why they are the way they are, then either provides answers or probes the audience to make theories themselves (I don't know if that is what deconstruction is), is really exciting because I love philosophical thinking. I love seeing these kinds of shows, then getting to explain what I think may be the reason to this or that and sharing my thoughts with others. It engages me, and I love being able to do that in a story. Of course this kind of active story would not be great for everyone, and I think any decon fans should realize and respect that not everyone turns to television to think.

I am not saying you don't think, I am saying that maybe you don't like the way those shows do decon, which is a respectable opinion. And imo Madoka has very little sexual fanservice, especially for a Shinbo show (the only things I think of are Mami's boobs, which were a random as frick design by the oh so good artist Ume Aoki, and the short skirts, but those seem to be eponymous with many anime and are never exploited for sexual purposes). I'm with you in that I can't stand shows that ladle on the fanservice, I don't care how good the show is under all the boobs and panty shots. That's why I hate the anime of Bakemonogatari (I hear the books are eons better and don't throw so much sex in your face).

Now that I'm started I guess I'll contribute GhoStory to the topic. I like the main point of the show, of this kid who goes around ghostbusting for people because he has latent vampire powers from when he was an Undead. There are even a couple of monsters I like. But but but, the promising idea is pissed on by all of the unnecessary, stupid fanservice. For a couple of characters the fanservice is explainable, at least at certain times, so I'm not talking about that (one person is an almost victim of childhood rape, so stripping down for strangers is actually a pretty predictable behavior). I'm talking about the topless Nadeko, the blatant fellatio imitation, female-on-male (attempted?) rape played for laughs, stripping your little sister without permission and fondling her breast, the muthertrucking toothbrush scene (which actually wasn't the worst but it was by far the most unforgettable, *shudder*). Also the fact that Araragi is an unworthy shit who molests elementary aged girls and his 8th grade younger sister, then turns around and acts all sorry for the domestic abuse one of his friends goes through. That scene where he was acting all mad about that made me lmfao, not lying. What a hypocrite. Sucks out all my respect to him for helping people who he doesn't even really know.

I must admit that I love the characters of Shinobu and Tsubasa from the show though, and Koyomi and Karen's non-sexual(!) bonding moments are really sweet (Koyomi and Karen are brother and sister (!!), and oh yes are they in some sexualized situations together. Not in universe, but the appeal of those scenes to the audience is all too obvious). If Shaft ever puts out the Kizumonogatari movie I think I'll watch just to see Kiss-shot Acerola-orion Heart-under-blade's story. The teaser in ep 1 of her and Koyomi's fight was unforgivably epic.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-21 at 11:59. Reason: i dont know why i always mix those two up
Old 2013-02-20, 17:17   Link #2266
NK_500
Disabled By Request

It's not the most loved anime out there but it just annoying to see how big the Kamisama Kiss fandom. What is it? Just another shallow, fanservice-y reverse harem. And you thought shounen/seinen harem shows are bad and you never saw this crap.
Old 2013-02-21, 13:21   Link #2267
Shyni

Quote:

Other series fitting this criteria are Mai-Hime, Kampfer, Madoka Magica, Utena, Rayearth, and Mai-Otome. I ask people what the appeal is and I usually get "Cause characters and plot and masterful art and deconstruction and gracefully aging and being psychologically deep with metaphors and historical milestone and fan service etcetra!" I am exaggerating a tad on that last part, but whenever I ask something such as "well how is that a good thing?" or "care to explain how?" or "you have proper things to compare your series, right?" and every time without fail they either go "oh hush/GFTO" or "you're an uneducated git that does not have a taste for the finer society so get some standards worth a darn!" Either I have a bad habit of never encountering moderate/casual fans or the primary audience consists of a lot of snobs. I know there are fans of this stuff that aren't, but I have yet to encounter them.
Compare in what way? As for Mai-HiME, Kamen Rider Ryuki is supposed to be a good comparison in a lot of aspects. I know that's not an anime, but still...

One way MH was better than Ryuki is that the show never felt like Mai was suddenly not the main character, while Ryuki had the title character feel less relevant sometimes.

Spoiler for Mai-HiME and Ryuki endings:

Both shows had terrible pacing, though.

I'm not really saying Mai-HiME is all that great here, but with direct comparisons, there are at least a few things I like about it. And hey, how often do you get that kind of variety with magical girls? Granted, Ryuki had a similar level of variety with its Riders.

Last edited by Shyni; 2013-02-21 at 14:01.
Old 2013-02-21, 13:36   Link #2268
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
Compare in what way? As for Mai-HiME, Kamen Rider Ryuki is supposed to be a good comparison in a lot of ways. I know that's not an anime, but still...
Hmm...that's interesting. I've never seen Mai-HiME, but if you can compare it to Kamen Rider Ryuki, I think you can also compare it to Fate/Stay Night or, the darker version, Fate/Zero since in those shows, the "chosen warriors" have to fight each other and become the winner to obtain something.
Old 2013-02-21, 14:18   Link #2269
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
The first Nanoha series is, bar none, the worst anime I've ever seen, it's so uninteresting yet oh so disgusting with extremely horrendous music and the laziest monster of the week designs ever come across with the closest thing rivaling the last category being Ultimate Girls. *shrivels* Yet, somehow, it is considered some weird cult hit to the point that the first two series got a US release and was received well. I really detest loli related anything, fan service included. I just don't get why it has such a big audience.

Other series fitting this criteria are Mai-Hime, Kampfer, Madoka Magica, Utena, Rayearth, and Mai-Otome.
Perhaps the magical girl genre is just not for you. Most of the shows you've criticized are magical girl shows (or border on being one). Magical girl shows have their own particular narrative style, aesthetics, character conventions, plot conventions, and so on and so forth.

I, personally, love magical girl anime. But I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone.
Old 2013-02-21, 16:02   Link #2270
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
It's not the most loved anime out there but it just annoying to see how big the Kamisama Kiss fandom. What is it? Just another shallow, fanservice-y reverse harem. And you thought shounen/seinen harem shows are bad and you never saw this crap.
Fanservice-y? If there was some (male) fanservice in it, it definitely wasn't on the same level you'd find in general shounen ecchi shows.

Reverse harem? Not in the slightest bit. Almost all the guys show little to no interest in Nanami (they only want her divinity).

And in what way was the show shallow?

I'm not a huge fan of the show (even though I found it very entertaining), but I'm getting the idea you're talking about a different show altogether.
Old 2013-02-21, 16:36   Link #2271
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

The responses I am getting. They are.... Civil.
Quote:
Compare in what way?
To other anime of the genre, this is mostly referencing people that watch only one or two entries of a genre and call them the best of their kind.
Quote:
Kamen Rider Ryuki is supposed to be a good comparison
Ryuki was actually entertaining.... At times.... When they weren't trading promised riders screen time in favor of slice of life filler that amounted to nothing and caused three riders to become non-canon, one of them twice.
Old 2013-02-21, 17:06   Link #2272
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
What fandom? It's liked...I liked it myself....but it's not like there's a huge fandom out there like there is for say One Piece or Sailor Moon....

I really, really wanted to like Bakemonogarai......but the loli groping and the implied incest put me off. Especially in Nisemonogarari.....
Old 2013-02-21, 20:48   Link #2273
Fuyuno
Banned

One Piece. No more explanation needed.
Old 2013-02-21, 21:50   Link #2274
Shyni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Hmm...that's interesting. I've never seen Mai-HiME, but if you can compare it to Kamen Rider Ryuki, I think you can also compare it to Fate/Stay Night or, the darker version, Fate/Zero since in those shows, the "chosen warriors" have to fight each other and become the winner to obtain something.
Uh...
Spoiler for Mai-HiME comparison in this case:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Perhaps the magical girl genre is just not for you. Most of the shows you've criticized are magical girl shows (or border on being one). Magical girl shows have their own particular narrative style, aesthetics, character conventions, plot conventions, and so on and so forth.

I, personally, love magical girl anime. But I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone.
Does Mai-HiME follow the genre conventions or aesthetic that much? I don't watch much magical girl series, but I've read that MH is more like a shonen action thing with loads of female characters. As for the aesthetic, well, most of the outfits weren't particularly girly or colourful, including the outfits that weren't regular everyday clothing.

Quote:
The responses I am getting. They are.... Civil.
Hmm?

Quote:
To other anime of the genre, this is mostly referencing people that watch only one or two entries of a genre and call them the best of their kind.
I don't really watch magical girl stuff. Buuuut comparisons to other genres are still valid. They're all TV shows, after all. (even if all of us not living in Japan don't actually watch them on broadcast channels)

Quote:
Ryuki was actually entertaining.... At times.... When they weren't trading promised riders screen time in favor of slice of life filler that amounted to nothing and caused three riders to become non-canon, one of them twice.
I don't really mind that a few of the Riders were non-canon, but having the movie Riders in the show probably would have at least made for fun padding, if they don't know how to actually make them important to the story. Quite a few characters were already like that, anyway.
Old 2013-02-21, 22:49   Link #2275
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Uh...
Spoiler for Mai-HiME comparison in this case:
Spoiler for reply:
Old 2013-02-22, 06:36   Link #2276
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

Does Mai-HiME follow the genre conventions or aesthetic that much? I don't watch much magical girl series, but I've read that MH is more like a shonen action thing with loads of female characters. As for the aesthetic, well, most of the outfits weren't particularly girly or colourful, including the outfits that weren't regular everyday clothing.
Mai-HiME isn't particularly magical girl, no.

But Nanoha, Madoka, and Rayearth are magical girl. While Mai-Otome borders on it (Otome's aesthetics are more magical girl-esque than Mai-HiME's). That's four of the seven shows DuelGundam2099 expressed dislike for, so I'm thinking that maybe he just doesn't like magical girl shows.
Old 2013-02-22, 06:47   Link #2277
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I disliked the ending of Mai Hime... I forgot what its was... but I really didn't liked it....
Old 2013-02-22, 09:37   Link #2278
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Quote:
so I'm thinking that maybe he just doesn't like magical girl shows.
Mostly true, although I did enjoy the Cutey Honey series and Pretear; albeit the former is from Dynamic Studios and I am a Go Nagai fan (although for good reason, I've never seen a work of his I did not enjoy!).
Quote:
Hmm?
I rarely get civil replies on forums.
Old 2013-02-22, 09:51   Link #2279
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I rarely get civil replies on forums.
When you’re being civil & reasonable in your post and not insulting all the fans of a particular show just for liking the said show, there’s no reason for us to reply to you in un-civil manner. But of course, I can’t speak for everyone.
Old 2013-02-22, 10:08   Link #2280
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I disliked the ending of Mai Hime... I forgot what its was... but I really didn't liked it....
lol You disliked it so much you forced it out of your memory.

Alas, I do remember it, and I disliked it too. I don't want to get into spoilers here, so let's just say that I felt the ending was totally off-key moodwise given the dozen or so episodes that came before it.