AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-07-19, 17:28   Link #2021
Asrialys

Well, I wasn't saying that they'd go after each other. If there's someone who prompted a "magical overdrive" then they'd be the likely target (based on past events). If Negi's so suitable for the dark arts, then I don't see him loosing himself so easily and then attacking his friends. Of course, if they try to stop him, then they'd be in trouble. But if anyone, he'd probably go after the next powerful person in view, which would be Fate if he's around or some other antagonist.

Negi and Asuna pasts have quite a lot in common. Every time they've lost it (once for Asuna though), they were confronted with a horrible memory. In my previous post, I was just saying that if they came across someone who was directly involved in ruining their pasts (granted Asuna regains her memories), I thought it'd be interesting to see them both losing themselves if it was something so emotionally unbearable.
Old 2008-07-19, 20:03   Link #2022
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

You know, now that you mention it, I can see a Berserking Negi scenario happen. Think about it, he has those 'dangerous' dark arts which seem to threaten him into darkness himself. Imagine he goes berserk, no stopping him then, right? Here comes Asuna with her magic cancel abillity, driving away the darkness and saving Negi.

Oh yes, Asuna/Negi rescue scenario. I called it.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 12:07   Link #2023
Jimmy C

Do we know anything concrete about Asuna's real age? She's apparently 16 or 17 at the start of the manga. But if she's the Twilight Princess, she should be in her twenties at least. I see others have noticed this too. So, do we have any firm info on her age?
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 12:12   Link #2024
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

She's supposed to be 13-14, at the start. (Second year of middle school)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 12:21   Link #2025
Jimmy C

Oh, I thought she was in high school already. Still, if she had been in Ostia before it came crashing down, she still has to be over 20. What gives?
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 12:27   Link #2026
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
What gives?
Magic.
Old 2008-07-20, 12:33   Link #2027
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

She's been held back. A lot. 'cause she's Baka Red.
Old 2008-07-20, 12:36   Link #2028
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
She's been held back. A lot. 'cause she's Baka Red.
lol Good reason. Additional punishment is anti-aging. It can even explain Evangeline, disregarding her vampire blood.
Old 2008-07-20, 17:12   Link #2029
vaatei
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk_ View Post
Both going berserk is counter-intuitive. Negi can't go very psycho-smashy when Asuna has massive-magic-cancel stopping him.

If Negi were to be swallowed by the magia erebea and go bersek think Asuna's magic cancel will be able to stop him? Im saying it sure seem to be very good at removing magical effects but would it be that simple? So far has her ability not done much unless she can beatup her enemy and when she fought/practice with Negi during Evangeline's test she couldn't hit him one single time. Setsuna and Keade sade she has changed but would that be enough to stop Negi?

Last edited by vaatei; 2008-07-21 at 07:15.
vaatei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 22:23   Link #2030
Dusk_
Forever Fallen

Send a message via MSN to Dusk_
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaatei View Post
If Negi were to be swallowed by the magia erebea and go bersek think Asunas magic cancel will be able to stop him? Im saying it sure seem to be very good at removing magical effects but would it be that simple? So far has her ability not done much unless she can beatup her enemy and when she fought/practice with Negi during Evangeline's test she couldn't hit him one single time. Setsuna and Keade sade she has changed but would that be enough to stop Negi?
Asuna's magic cancel has proven to be fairly absolute, and the scenario above was her power going at full-cataclysmic-floating-city-fall-down level.

Remember, Negi's power and abilities are purely magical based. He knows martial arts, but without his magical power boosting his physical abilities he's nothing more than a 10 year old child throwing punches and kicks.

EDIT: Berserk Negi doesn't necessarily mean Erabea backfire. I think there's been two occasions where he's gone into berserker mode already (once against that demon Herrman and another while trying to gain the Erabea), but both times were quickly stopped. Not to mention Rakan's comment about the darkness inside of the kid.
Dusk_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 15:10   Link #2031
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk_ View Post
Asuna's magic cancel has proven to be fairly absolute, and the scenario above was her power going at full-cataclysmic-floating-city-fall-down level.

Remember, Negi's power and abilities are purely magical based. He knows martial arts, but without his magical power boosting his physical abilities he's nothing more than a 10 year old child throwing punches and kicks.
I think what vaatei was getting at was, Asuna had magic cancel the last time she had to try and hit Negi, who was using magically-powered punches/kicks/speed. And she got absolutely owned everytime. Meaning her magic cancel might not save her from a Magia Erebea-powered psycho Negi.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 15:58   Link #2032
Asrialys

I don't think we know enough about Asuna's ability to determine its true effectiveness. The way Dusk_ explains a match between the two makes it seem that her ability is so absolute that she can prevent Negi from accessing his magic, let alone using it to boost his body. I doubt it's that easy. From what we've seen, she's had to make physical contact (or with her artifact by extension) with the magical attack in order stop it. For those of us who've seen the first anime series, we did see child Asuna stop magic within the area, but we have yet to see that level in manga Asuna. Back to the manga, she may have stopped a magical landline, but it's not like the thing was meant to kill Setsuna and Kaede in the first place.

As I said, we don't really know the limits of Asuna ability. For me, I still think she'd lose to Negi. For what's been shown, Asuna's ability is purely defense and doesn't extend to her surroundings like in the anime. Even she can withstand Negi's immense dark magic, she'll probably take physical damage due to Negi's speed and martial arts. Who knows though. Maybe Asuna will regain full access to her powers once she regains her memories. But then I can't imagine that not being stressful to her mind. Hey, instead of Negi going berserk (at least anytime soon), Asuna could lose it if all her memories come rushing back at once. Negi'd have to stop her (not sure if he'd go so far as to using dark magic on an ally though). Then we'll see what she's capable of.
Old 2008-07-21, 16:03   Link #2033
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

With proper preparation (like the demon did, for example) her ability can be exploited without physical contacts. Without it, though? I think she'd need to hit him. And even if she does, she'd have to hit him again before he recovers.
Old 2008-07-21, 16:11   Link #2034
Asrialys

Asuna's potential is immense. Granted, if it was actually her alone (no help/amplification whatsoever) that caused most of Ostia's fall all those years ago.
Old 2008-07-21, 16:14   Link #2035
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Asuna has been shown to be able to cancel magic in a sphere-like radius, such as in chapter 188, and you really are bringing down the landmine, if anyone less then people of Setsuna and kaede step into it, they would have died. In no way do the monster say it was set to stun, just that Setsuna and Kaede were strong enough to survive.

According to Rakan, Asuna's Magic Cancel (yeesh, I'm having trouble not typing AMF ) was powerfull enough to tear down an entire city, and while I doubt Asuna is at that level yet, it does show that the radius effect exists in the Manga as well.
Old 2008-07-21, 16:21   Link #2036
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Asuna has been shown to be able to cancel magic in a sphere-like radius, such as in chapter 188, and you really are bringing down the landmine, if anyone less then people of Setsuna and kaede step into it, they would have died. In no way do the monster say it was set to stun, just that Setsuna and Kaede were strong enough to survive.
I was comparing it to the potential killer intent a berserk Negi might have if they were ever to face each other.

Quote:
According to Rakan, Asuna's Magic Cancel (yeesh, I'm having trouble not typing AMF ) was powerfull enough to tear down an entire city, and while I doubt Asuna is at that level yet, it does show that the radius effect exists in the Manga as well.
Ah, you're right.
Old 2008-07-21, 16:29   Link #2037
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
I was comparing it to the potential killer intent a berserk Negi might have if they were ever to face each other.
True, that would be bad, but then that would probably cause a worry/love trigger to go of in Asuna and have her cancel whipe out the berserking magic. Of course not after a long dramatic fight, no reason for Negi to go berserk without any drama.
Old 2008-07-21, 17:26   Link #2038
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
As I said, we don't really know the limits of Asuna ability. For me, I still think she'd lose to Negi. For what's been shown, Asuna's ability is purely defense and doesn't extend to her surroundings like in the anime. Even she can withstand Negi's immense dark magic, she'll probably take physical damage due to Negi's speed and martial arts. Who knows though. Maybe Asuna will regain full access to her powers once she regains her memories. But then I can't imagine that not being stressful to her mind. Hey, instead of Negi going berserk (at least anytime soon), Asuna could lose it if all her memories come rushing back at once. Negi'd have to stop her (not sure if he'd go so far as to using dark magic on an ally though). Then we'll see what she's capable of.
Yeah, I too think that if Negi and Asuna were to go all out on each other, Negi would take her out.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 07:57   Link #2039
vaatei
*Scanlator

Chapter 222 Spoilers

Spoiler for 222:

There we go fixed

Last edited by vaatei; 2008-08-03 at 02:22.
vaatei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 20:27   Link #2040
Asrialys

Mass-produced Evas? :P

Tags
action, fantasy