AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > KonoMini

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-07, 11:05   Link #1
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

The Symbolism Behind the 7th Extinction

Here we have the number seven again, this time for This Ugly and Beautiful World.

Seven represents the totality and completion of the cycle, it could also be interpreted as perfection.

In summary, the seven may refer from the begining to the end of an cyclical age (but not eternity)

JIC, info below hidden
Spoiler:

Hikari is the seventh of the Extinction whose solely mission is to complete the cycle and end mankind's existence.

By completing the cycle, not only will humankind vanish but The Earth shall be destroyed in order to fullfill the laws of continuity. Since the Seven means totality and perfection the same, it can be assumed that the destruction of the human beings also advents the end of Earth's age. Thus, cleaning the path for a new era to commence in which a new Earth will be born...

Spoiler:
Old 2004-06-07, 12:27   Link #2
nephilim
Loves Kaori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Here we have the number seven again, this time for This Ugly and Beautiful World.

Seven represents the totality and completion of the cycle, it could also be interpreted as perfection.

In summary, the seven may refer from the begining to the end of an cyclical age (but not eternity)

JIC, info below hidden
Spoiler:

Hikari is the seventh of the Extinction whose solely mission is to complete the cycle and end mankind's existence.

By completing the cycle, not only will humankind vanish but The Earth shall be destroyed in order to fullfill the laws of continuity. Since the Seven means totality and perfection the same, it can be assumed that the destruction of the human beings also advents the end of Earth's age. Thus, cleaning the path for a new era to commence in which a new Earth will be born...

Spoiler:
If your assumption is correct, then the mystery of the number 7 is correct. I was wondering why seventh instead of all numbers. I think it's possible that the ending will be something like the earth not being destroyed, saved by some miracle or something, but ended up sacrifising the 2 kawaii girls. seen too much of these kind of endings anyway lol

Theories behind each phenomenon are always interesting. i like them.
Old 2004-06-17, 13:40   Link #3
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Simultaneous Comparisons & Contrasts between Konomini & The Fifth Element

The following is an analogy-contrast rather more of a character comparison context for the thread. I decided to post the following due that I don't want to open any uneccesary threads:

The comparison I make between Hikari/Akari from 'This Ugly and Beautiful World' is similar-different to Leeloo from the 'Fifth Element' movie.

A.1) Hikari & Akari belonged from the same force, "The 7th Extinction", to annihilate the Earth.

A.2) Leeloo is the 'fifth element' (Supreme being) retrieved to save Earth from the "Destroyer" (The flaming, dark planet)

B.1) Both Hikari and Akari assumed human form, after coming in contact with the Earthling hearts of Takeru and Ryou.

B.2) Leeloo was genetically reconstructed into a human form from the remains of the fifth element.

C.1) Hikari was dubbed 'Hikari' by Takeru, however, Akari picked up her name to be 'Akari'.

C.2) Leeloo replied her name (The long version) to Dallas when he asked her, and she later shorten it to 'Leeloo' when he asked her for a shorter name.
(After the kiss-gun to the head incident)

D.1) Hikari and Akari kept on leading Earthling lives to better assimilate into human nature.

D.2) Leeloo is more inquisitive/surprised in experiencing human things to better suit her preference toward the achievements of human civilization.

E.1) Hikari realized her purpose to bring 'Death', right away after the incident with Mari.

E.2) Leeloo took for granted that she was made for the only purpose to save 'Life', believing she had no other application than that, after discovering in shock the horrors of war that humankind has been propagating for the past 5000 years she went missing.

F.1) Akari has realized to rely on Ryou's heart to become more emotional aware of how important and cheerful is every lifeform on Earth, and how she has admitted that she wants to be with Ryou. Right now, Takeru is attempting to make Hikari realize by her own will that she could acknowledge that she's needed by Takeru, and that she loves him.

F.2) When Dallas confessed his love to Leeloo, she then realized that she was needed by Dallas not because she was the 'Saviour', but because Dallas acknowledged her to be a person that wanted/needed to feel love.
Old 2004-06-18, 04:48   Link #4
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Well...

Although the symbolic aspect of Konomini was rather interesting, a couple logical positions bugged me about the story:

Scientifically, the extinction theory behind Konomini is not supported by Hikari and Akari's logic. According to the story, an extinction occurs every time a set of species has existed too long on Earth. Hikari contends that it's time for humanity to go, but according to the geological time scale, humans and many of our present-day creatures are but infants on the fossil record scale. Other animals wiped out by previous extinctions (such as dinosaurs and Precambrian mollusks/ cerapods) have been in existence for millions of years (248 mya BC - 65 mya BC for dinosaurs alone, a net of almost 200 million years).

Also, the other major extinctions that have occurred in the past have been in varied scales, there's little consistency. The Cretatious extinction that wiped out the dinosaurs destroyed some 60% of the Earth's species, but the mysterious Permian-Triassic extinction, some 251 million years ago, killed 90% of all living things on Earth.

Lastly, the existence of old, unchanged creatures like alligators, cocaroaches, and tuatoura lizards fully disproves the logic behind the great extinctions.

On the number analysis, however, according to Biblical references: The number 7 denotes spiritual perfection. It is the mark of life and divides the periods of reproduction in animal life. It is the number of rest and the cycle of rest in the jubilee. It is also the period of return to God in rest and return to His law and that's why the law is read in the Sabbath year of the cycle. Also note that there are 7 days in a week. The 7th marks purgation and the renewal of a cycle. The symbolism behind the 7th extinction rings true, atleast from a Biblical perspective. (and actually, I'm not really that religious of a person, I just found this symbolism fascinating)

Those are just my two (long) cents on this issue.
Old 2004-06-27, 10:51   Link #5
PsionicXero
Meticulously frivolous

I think esp 7 can forshadow the fan service to come in esp 8, but since there was no fan service in esp 8, then i guess in some esp to come. God, how can they top the fan service in esp 1??
Old 2004-06-27, 12:58   Link #6
nephilim
Loves Kaori

Butterflies...

http://cameraslens.com/butterfly.html

Was a page for the theories behind Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly though.

I am playing this game now, so I was interested in its stori
Old 2004-07-16, 14:19   Link #7
PsionicXero
Meticulously frivolous

did u realize Mahoromatic is better then this? i wonder y im a Hikari fan, maybe since shes hotter....
Closed Thread