AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-26, 23:16   Link #461
Tri-ring

About the reason why Juzawa Beniko entrusted Murasaki to Shinkuro is hinted within the first and forth episode so if you listen to the conversations very closely you may see an outline of it and how this show will precipitate.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 00:41   Link #462
vdeity86

First off, I've been reading on these forums for a while and been using Animesuki for years.

Just registered to comment on this series.

First off. The voice acting is genius.

Second, with no comparison to the manga, I think the artwork is a lot better than the average anime by FAR. So you guys shouldn't complain! You guys have to remember budget is also part of an anime's work production and this type of anime isn't popular amongst most of the population.

Third, I love the story so far. Although I do agree on parts of what happened in ep4 to be a little... misleading. At least give some intelligence?

Fourth. Where can I find the manga? If anyone could provide a PM to me about this, it would be great!
vdeity86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 01:48   Link #463
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I'm guessing that the stipulations behind Shinkurou's *powers* and situation makes him lose that bit of essential individuality that would have made me endear him. I still think he's basically a tool. A very dangerous and capable one, but still a tool. Not even something that resembles an individual, a human being with independent thoughts and outward emotions. I guess the entire reasoning for Murasaki in the story is to melt the harder aspects of Shinkurou. But I have to agree with some in that the guy still is very hard to like as of now.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 06:28   Link #464
ReddyRedWolf

I must say Yayoi acts like a mom here.

Where as Shinkuro acts like the hopeless brother for Murasaki.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 06:44   Link #465
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdeity86 View Post
Third, I love the story so far. Although I do agree on parts of what happened in ep4 to be a little... misleading. At least give some intelligence?
Which parts, where? I don't see how ep 4 can be confusing.
Quote:
Fourth. Where can I find the manga? If anyone could provide a PM to me about this, it would be great!
Here is a place where you can find unlicensed manga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I'm guessing that the stipulations behind Shinkurou's *powers* and situation makes him lose that bit of essential individuality that would have made me endear him. I still think he's basically a tool. A very dangerous and capable one, but still a tool. Not even something that resembles an individual, a human being with independent thoughts and outward emotions. I guess the entire reasoning for Murasaki in the story is to melt the harder aspects of Shinkurou. But I have to agree with some in that the guy still is very hard to like as of now.
I don't see it that harshly (but understand where you are coming from no less).

To me, Shinkurou is a person who has gone through life struggling to survive. From ep 4 we can see his reaction towards death, he wants to die. The reason is also part of his life leading up the to event (with his parent's gone after witnessing them die in front of him). I guess you could say that he owes Benika his is life which is one of the reasons why he is working for her.

Even so though, I don't feel as if Shinkurou is a tool or that Benika is using him as such. She also cares for his wellbeing as much as it doesn't seem like it. His personality has gotten to be emotionless like this is because of the limited amount of contact he has with people. Before Murasaki entered his life he was just alone (even when there are people around him, he never has someone to care for).

I Still say to cut some slack on his current personality. We will be able to see how the bond between him and Murasaki will open up his heart (bla bla cliches ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
I must say Yayoi acts like a mom here.

Where as Shinkuro acts like the hopeless brother for Murasaki.
I'd say Shinkurou is doing his best to take care of Murasaki

It isn't easy to handle someone so opinionative ^^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 08:54   Link #466
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^

It isn't easy to handle kids, period.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 09:02   Link #467
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Ah, so that's the secret behind the creepy bone-breaking sounds. A bone-blade, how queer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Well, there's not much emotional investment you can make for someone whose emotional core seems to be missing.

He seems "nice" enough, the killer mode notwithstanding, but there's a distinct lack of heart and passion within his character. Right now, the only times he act emotionally all involve Murasaki, which I think is probably part of the plot line. His interactions with the female admirers (three cheers for Yuuno >_<) are downright painful to watch, not in how clueless he is but in how there's simply something missing in them -- especially when contrasted with his interactions with Murasaki. It's like he's the reverse of, say, Harima from School Rumble, who, despite many flaws that some find irritating to different extents, is so full of heart and passion that only boring and/or hateful people can seriously hate the poor guy.

So yeah, I agree with you in this aspect, but I also think it doesn't make the anime any worse in the least. In fact it's quite refreshing to have this kind of lead appears, something I really haven't seen in other anime before. There have been plenty of heroes of all shades, a substantial number of loser nerds, and more than enough anti-heroes running around; this kind of guy is simply someone I haven't met before.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 09:57   Link #468
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Seems I was right with my first opinion about him.

Although it seems that Murasaki is instilling Kurenai with a heart, slowly but surely. She has passion and is able to understand people a lot better than he does. He seems to lack... I dunno, a sense of humanity. He acts like a simple 40 year old man, whos lost his will to "live" and just does his job, bowing down to others obediently, thats just not cool.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 10:05   Link #469
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

The way I see it... I cannot help but think that people judged Shinkurou too harshly base just solely upon his 'dark' side. Someone who had gone through so much hardship (parents' death, kidnapped by slave traders, put through a brutal martial art training) is not going to be full of life and stuff, It's quite amazing that he could turn out to be rather 'normal'.

And with a job that practically puts him in danger almost every single night, a job that shows him the dark side of society, you cannot expect him to not have a emotionless, stone cold exterior when he 'works'.

Now, to address the issue of his personality and emotions- If he were as empty as some of you are suggesting, how is it that he could show care and concern for those around him? And I don't just mean Murasaki, Ginko- He was slightly worry that she could be in danger for helping him with his work, and is grateful for her help. Yuno- He doesn't want her to worry about him because of his work.

Just because he has a 'dark' side, doesn't mean that's his 'true' side, the way I see it, Shinkurou is trying to seperate his two life from each other.

Now, on the issue of his blade... This is one reason why I didn't like how the Anime tries to portrait the story, as people call it, realistically.

It makes people question things that should just slide... >.>
Old 2008-04-27, 10:39   Link #470
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Just watched Ep 4. A lot of explanations were given / developments made / plot advanced / things clarified o_O. A great episode once again..

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 10:46   Link #471
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Seems I was right with my first opinion about him.

Although it seems that Murasaki is instilling Kurenai with a heart, slowly but surely. She has passion and is able to understand people a lot better than he does. He seems to lack... I dunno, a sense of humanity. He acts like a simple 40 year old man, whos lost his will to "live" and just does his job, bowing down to others obediently, thats just not cool.
The thing that he has lost is the warm and loving home everyone should be allowed. Murasaki is in a similar case but it just goes to show how everyone is different considering what personlity the choose to adopt. Murasaki is the type to shine on the outside even if she is hurting on the inside, whereas Shinkurou is the type to be quiet about things. In a way he is sort of emo but that was before meeting benika. But perhaps the reason why he is doing those dangerous jobs is that he can find an excuse to get killed off someday (if you want to look at it in a darker light). I personally don't think so though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Now, on the issue of his blade... This is one reason why I didn't like how the Anime tries to portrait the story, as people call it, realistically.

It makes people question things that should just slide... >.>
Lol...it is unrealistic in a realistic sense

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2008-04-27, 11:11   Link #472
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
But perhaps the reason why he is doing those dangerous jobs is that he can find an excuse to get killed off someday (if you want to look at it in a darker light). I personally don't think so though.

In that scene from the manga, Benika asked him why does he want to do this, his answer is because he wants to have the power to "be able to live by himself". basically, he doesn't want to be helpless anymore.

He does in some sense, want to be like her, she did save his life after all.

That would leave an impression on anybody, let alone a 8 year old boy.
Old 2008-04-27, 13:23   Link #473
Sparrow1770
Avian Member

I think Shinkurou is fine and doesn't need Murasaki to "soften him up." Just because he doesn't emote effusively in every scene doesn't mean he has no emotions. It's very clear that he does have emotions but that he is able to suppress them when the situation calls for it.

He is awkward around Ginko and Yuuno though, I will give you that. Which doesn't bother me a bit since I was never interested in the romance aspect of the show to begin with. I like Ginko and Yuuno as characters -- I feel bad for them that they're barking up the wrong tree.
Sparrow1770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 13:29   Link #474
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Maybe he simply thinks that with the extremely risky lifestyle he is leading, he shouldn't be involved romantically with anyone and is able to follow that decision despite temptations flying from all sides.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 15:03   Link #475
Molenir

There is a lot that is wrong with this show. From the plot, Shinkurou needs to get a brain check if he is so unobvservant as to let a little girl trail him all the way from his apartment... Yayoi and Benika. How stupid was it to let Murasaki just trail him like that. And if you are watching, why not intervene sooner, or at least clue the brainless Shinkurou in to the fact that he is being followed.

The bone blade thing is just stupid though. No other way to say it. Blocking bullets with it.

On the other hand though, there were also moments of humor. The cleaning/washing sequence. I laughed when I saw that Murasaki had washed the remote. Wonder if it still works.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 18:03   Link #476
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Being a little girl doesn't have anything to do with being trailed undetected. If Murasaki wants to hide from his sights, she can surely do so.

Yayoi and Benika both made technical mistakes (Benika thinking that Yayoi would have better judgement and Yayoi for not having any at all).

But the bone thing was a bit silly...at least not Shinkurou but the mob. Shoot anywhere but his blade please! (It wasn't like he was quick to block, sheesh ).

Old 2008-04-27, 18:22   Link #477
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Man this epsiode made weird even weirder.

Shikurou's "Power Level" keeps changing. One second he's beating tugs twice his size, then he gets beaten by high school punks

His reaction time fluctuates too. He gets sucker punched by the guy coming out of the elevator yet he stops bullet with his elbow blade. I don't get it anymore.

In this episode we see how truly isolated and ignorant of the outside world Murasaki really is. That she keeps insisting on everything she says, and only starts yelling when Shinkurou ignores her shows that back in her family house, nobody except the elder would ever oppose her. Also telling a Yakuza in his face "He's a liar" is both idiotic and suicidal, wich only someone used to always be obeyed would do.

I think the lesson Benika hopes that Murasaki will teach Shikurou is how to care for himself and other people. After his tragedy, it seems like Shinkurou has lost the will to live and is merely "existing". True he got impressed by Benika, but I get the feeling he still wouldn't mind dying.
Darklightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 19:52   Link #478
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
There is a lot that is wrong with this show. From the plot, Shinkurou needs to get a brain check if he is so unobvservant as to let a little girl trail him all the way from his apartment...
Don't tell me you actually believe that all martial artists could sense people's presences ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
The bone blade thing is just stupid though. No other way to say it. Blocking bullets with it.
See? This is why the anime should stick to the manga's way of doing things.

People won't bother bring it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
Man this epsiode made weird even weirder.

Shikurou's "Power Level" keeps changing. One second he's beating tugs twice his size, then he gets beaten by high school punks

His reaction time fluctuates too. He gets sucker punched by the guy coming out of the elevator yet he stops bullet with his elbow blade. I don't get it anymore.
Darklightz, didn't you get the arguement from last week?

Shinkurou doesn't want to show Murasaki his fighting side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
I think the lesson Benika hopes that Murasaki will teach Shikurou is how to care for himself and other people. After his tragedy, it seems like Shinkurou has lost the will to live and is merely "existing". True he got impressed by Benika, but I get the feeling he still wouldn't mind dying.
No, he's completely over that.

He said it himself during the rescue scene, that he wants power to live by himself.
Old 2008-04-27, 20:09   Link #479
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The way I see it... I cannot help but think that people judged Shinkurou too harshly base just solely upon his 'dark' side. Someone who had gone through so much hardship (parents' death, kidnapped by slave traders, put through a brutal martial art training) is not going to be full of life and stuff, It's quite amazing that he could turn out to be rather 'normal'.
We're really not judging him (the boy didn't do anything wrong did he), more like analyzing him.

Of course he's going to be at least a bit messed up what's with all he had gone through, but that doesn't mean I'd change my impression because he has a good reason -- and he does -- to be like that.

Sure he gives concerns for others around him, but his concern for his own safety and existence seems to be located at a very problematic zero. Normal people, even those in dangerous jobs like Shinkurou's boss and comrades are, at least put some recognition and interest in the fact that Yakuza are shooting at them. I think that's part of what Benika is getting at.

He's "normal" enough to maintain himself in society, but really isn't normal enough yet to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen
He said it himself during the rescue scene, that he wants power to live by himself.
Not wanting to die/wanting to be self-sufficient =/ wanting to live a happy life, IMO.

Right now in the anime he's still like this, but the manga that shows him after the Murasaki case gives off a much happier vibe for the guy, so I assume he'll gradually change as the anime moves forward. That's the reason the little girl is there anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz

You didn't notice? Those are conscious choices on his part. He *could* slaughter the punks in three seconds, and probably could counter the thug in the elevator, but he didn't do so both times because Murasaki was around.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 20:58   Link #480
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Of course he's going to be at least a bit messed up what's with all he had gone through, but that doesn't mean I'd change my impression because he has a good reason -- and he does -- to be like that.

Sure he gives concerns for others around him, but his concern for his own safety and existence seems to be located at a very problematic zero. Normal people, even those in dangerous jobs like Shinkurou's boss and comrades are, at least put some recognition and interest in the fact that Yakuza are shooting at them. I think that's part of what Benika is getting at.

Why does he need to worry about himself ?

That's the whole point of his 8 years in training hell, to become someone strong enough.

If I didn't read the manga wrongly, his training made it so that unless his body gets torn apart (literally), he won't die so easily.

Quote:
He's "normal" enough to maintain himself in society, but really isn't normal enough yet to be happy.
Just curious, why would you think that?

I mean, what made you think that?

Quote:
Right now in the anime he's still like this, but the manga that shows him after the Murasaki case gives off a much happier vibe for the guy, so I assume he'll gradually change as the anime moves forward. That's the reason the little girl is there anyway.
Well, to be fair, we never got to see him before the Murasaki case was 'solved' so I can't compare... THough personally, I feel that the anime might be 'dampening' some of the characters' interaction because of it's style.

Tags
action, brains-base, characters, daily life, light novel adaptation, loli, shounen