AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2021-03-21, 10:41   Link #10721
dragon1412

most webnovel is amateur though, so detail character thought process is fairly rare, since it required really good writing skill without making it out of place.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-07, 02:30   Link #10722
Garn

Infuriates a lot when the MC is left with a complex generated by someone who despises him and sees him as scum.
Worse when his allies praise him but he does not believe them and continues to trust the words of those who despise him.
Even worse when the complex turns out to be something of great value but you still don't believe it.
And finally, the complex is something that is created without anything really traumatic or with a lot of time of some kind of continuous abuse.

The class bully: You're stupid
The jap MC: Yes I am
Garn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-07, 06:31   Link #10723
Tenzen12

As weird as it sounds, it actually has basis in RL psychology and it's certainly not only japanese thing (well it has to be minimaly continuous verbal abuse of some kind at least)
Old 2021-04-07, 06:54   Link #10724
Amelgar

i.e. people with such low self-esteem they accept any reason to feel bad about themselves.
Amelgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-07, 07:20   Link #10725
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
As weird as it sounds, it actually has basis in RL psychology and it's certainly not only japanese thing (well it has to be minimaly continuous verbal abuse of some kind at least)
I've seen first hand people who have been constantly told they're stupid or whatnot actually becoming dumbed down for real. The psychological effects of being told you're this or that on a regular basis are not to be underestimated.

This is especially the case when people are in their youth when their minds are still immature and thus more inclined to being influenced by their surroundings.
Old 2021-04-07, 13:36   Link #10726
Garn

Do not try to put real issues where it does not fit, a real sample only happens in more serious novels that are more scarce

In the vast majority the MC is told that he is useless at an age that he has a developed brain and is told by characters who have obvious enmity.
Apart from the fact that it does not go through a stage of prolonged abuse (an average of 2 years maximum to a few days) and the abuse is done only with words (simple words).
While the MC is not alone (or it is shown later that he was not alone) and if he has allies who continue to support him.
That is, the MC does not live in a dysfunctional family with an environment that promotes trauma and continuous abuse of him.

This is a Japanese cliche, where they mix silly "gaman" culture and an unnecessary low self-confidence+ not wanting to stand out.
When someone who suffers from this for a short time or that is not serious abuse tries to do something to prove otherwise
There are countless novels where the MC was active and capable but he was told that he is useless and on the same day he believes it and stops trying and lowers his head
Garn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-07, 14:08   Link #10727
Tenzen12

Two years is more then enough, though. That's exactly what's called prolonged. Not to mention main characters usually starts at their teenage years.
Old 2021-04-08, 11:32   Link #10728
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garn View Post
Do not try to put real issues where it does not fit, a real sample only happens in more serious novels that are more scarce

In the vast majority the MC is told that he is useless at an age that he has a developed brain and is told by characters who have obvious enmity.
Apart from the fact that it does not go through a stage of prolonged abuse (an average of 2 years maximum to a few days) and the abuse is done only with words (simple words).
While the MC is not alone (or it is shown later that he was not alone) and if he has allies who continue to support him.
That is, the MC does not live in a dysfunctional family with an environment that promotes trauma and continuous abuse of him.
Two years of emotional bullying is more than prolonged enough to mess up anyone, even if they have a good family, you see that all the time in real life.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:35   Link #10729
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Finally an MC that joins a group
Thank god
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:01   Link #10730
dragon1412

lol. I actually prefer MC that swing alone more than MC that join guilds or big groups.
Old Today, 05:14   Link #10731
Tenzen12

I prefer MC who is part of collective myself. Being "unique snowflake" is too mainstream and let's be honest 9/10 super pretentious.
Old Today, 07:10   Link #10732
dragon1412

I think that's more because the authors tend to try to make MC stand out way too much, I mean, when making a solo MC, I prefer it if the MC isn't too famous unless there are plot significant to it. Since MC being famous actually kill a lot of advantage of MC freedom in solo case.

Tags
web novel, website