AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-04-06, 08:13   Link #1
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
One Piece - Chapter 1010 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.


Shall we do this? Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "Haoushoku (Color of the Conqueror)". Splash features Pudding.

-As Big Mom plummets toward the sea, Luffy passes out fighting Kaidou. The emperor then targets Zoro next in order to save Prometheus, but Law swaps places with the swordsman and faces the King of Beasts himself! Unfortunately, this save allows both Prometheus and Napoleon to rescue their mama! Zoro is upset at Law for letting this happen, but the doctor replies that he'd rather their plan fail than let anyone on their side die. However, Kid and Killer are more optimistic, and volunteer to face Big Mom themselves since their goal was to keep their enemies split apart in the first place! Down below the island, Linlin thanks Prometheus for saving her, and complains about how useless Zeus is in comparison. The sun agrees, and asks her a favor (which is hidden from us readers). Shortly afterward, Kid notices some ominous clouds gathering in the air....

-Zoro, who's at his limit due to his wounds, tells Law he has one final maneuver to use against Kaidou.... and should it fail, the rest is up to the doctor. The pirate Hunter then unleashes his desperation move: Asura!!! The emperor gets wounded from Zoro's strike, but is all the more shocked when he senses Conqueror's Haki from the supernova! Law tries to save the exhausted Zoro, but Kaidou takes them both out with Thunder Bagua! The emperor is disappointed that none of his enemies chose to join him, as they could have ruled the world together. But Luffy, who regains consciousness, replies he would have never joined Kaidou anyway! We then see a brief flashback of his ryuuou training with Hyougoro. The rubber man then announces the discovery he made after getting hit by Kaidou's weapon: Kaidou himself imbues his attacks with Conqueror's Haki! The emperor replies that very few are capable of this. The supernova then goes back on the attack, but there's a notable difference this time: He's able to hurt Kaidou without directly touching him!!! What's more, his attacks generate black lightning, as well! After knocking down the emperor, he tells Zoro and Law to go back downstairs and recover, as well as to let the others know that he WILL win!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2021-04-08 at 07:41.
marvelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-06, 08:28   Link #2
OH&S
Index III was a mistake
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 29
No friggin way!!!!

Zoro fanboys always said that he'd get Conqeror's Haki; and I believed them.

But who would have thought that Zoro would pull out Asura now and not when the battle reaches a climax.
__________________
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-06, 08:52   Link #3
judasmartel
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Woah, Zoro really has Conqueror's Haki all along. As expected of the future Dark King. Also, CoC can apparently be imbued into attacks like CoA. Hopefully there are more applications for CoC other than just instantly knocking out weaker enemies or affecting the environment like what Shanks did on the Moby Dick.
__________________
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-06, 10:23   Link #4
Hoodspirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
It was inevitable that CoC would become more of an offensive force, however I don't like it buffing attacks directly.
One reason for that is: we already have CoA for that.
Second reason: unlike CoC, CoA is learnable by everyone.
So now it seems like you can't become the strongest swordsman without being born with CoC.
Doesn't really fit the character Zoro who was always shown to train more than any other in order to get stronger.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-06, 12:05   Link #5
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where magic is real
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Wow... there's quite a few crazy implications with all the reveals this chapter.

So Zoro also has CoC... and not only that, but apparently the top warriors in the world use CoC in a similar fashion to CoA. I half wondered if Zoro would ever obtain it, considering he's practically Luffy's First Mate, just like Raleigh was for Roger.

On top of that... there's now a heavy implication that Mihawk uses CoC as well. And I'm wondering now if when we see any of the Emperors clash, we're seeing not just CoA being used but also opposing CoC. And considering that CoC is (supposed to be) extremely rare... well, that explains why only a small amount of individuals ever make it to the top; having CoC seems to be a requirement at this point.
__________________
Gifted...or Cursed?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-06, 12:28   Link #6
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Come to think of it, I wonder if mastery of CoC is a prerequisite for DF awakening? It would make sense since both Doflamingo and Katakuri are awakened users with CoC. But there's a possible hole in the theory as far as the awakened jailers from Impel Down are concerned (who, coincidentally enough, were the very characters that introduced us to the awakening concept in the first place!). Were the Minotaurus and those other goofy-looking critters all "conquerors", too? It sure didn't seem that way back then, but what about now, when faced with this new info? Ironically enough, I'd say this would make those guys prime candidates for Kaidou's crew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
It was inevitable that CoC would become more of an offensive force, however I don't like it buffing attacks directly.
One reason for that is: we already have CoA for that.
Second reason: unlike CoC, CoA is learnable by everyone.
So now it seems like you can't become the strongest swordsman without being born with CoC.
Doesn't really fit the character Zoro who was always shown to train more than any other in order to get stronger.
I honestly don''t find it all that strange for Zoro to wield CoC. In fact, I'd say it's appropriate since..... well, it just plain makes sense for the strongest swordsman to be someone who dominates all opposition, no? It also in retrospect explains why Mihawk and Shanks were once considered rivals..... because they're both "conquerors" in their own right, as well. So yeah, I see no problem with Zoro wielding CoC.
marvelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-06, 12:57   Link #7
devilo96
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
oh well...zoro already leave the battlefield...now we have 4 vs 2 yonko
kid and his pal vs big mom...and again luffy+law vs kaido...man cant wait for this get animated
devilo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-06, 13:53   Link #8
Hoodspirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I honestly don''t find it all that strange for Zoro to wield CoC. In fact, I'd say it's appropriate since..... well, it just plain makes sense for the strongest swordsman to be someone who dominates all opposition, no? It also in retrospect explains why Mihawk and Shanks were once considered rivals..... because they're both "conquerors" in their own right, as well. So yeah, I see no problem with Zoro wielding CoC.
I don't have a problem with Zoro having CoC, like not at all.
According to the spoilers I will have a problem with CoC though.

From now on it doesn't matter how good you are with CoA, you will not be able to become the strongest swordsman without having CoC+CoA to give you a more potent self-buff directly infused in your attacks.
CoC is a trait you get upon birth, while CoA is something everyone could learn and train. Before this chapter, this was fine as those two had different applications, but with this chapter it has the exact same application.
Zoro is the character who trains the most on panel so this change to CoC is pretty huge. Also for his backstory: Kuina not born as a man, Zoro not born with CoC. The dream would have the same reason it failed and them unable to do anything against it. No matter how hard they'd train. Poor Kuina, Zoro was lucky twice when he was born.
This implication is why I don't like having CoC for Zoro now.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-06, 17:04   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
It was inevitable that CoC would become more of an offensive force, however I don't like it buffing attacks directly.
One reason for that is: we already have CoA for that.
Second reason: unlike CoC, CoA is learnable by everyone.
So now it seems like you can't become the strongest swordsman without being born with CoC.
Doesn't really fit the character Zoro who was always shown to train more than any other in order to get stronger.
I don't have a problem with Zoro have CoC, but I do have a problem with CoC boosting attack, since it means characters who simply weren't born with it will never be able to get as strong as characters who were no matter how much they train. It also makes me wonder what the point of Ryuou was.

Something not mentioned in the summary: when a character uses CoC to attack, black lightening comes out. We've seen it before when Roger and Whitebeard clashed, for example. Luffy pulls it off at the end.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-07, 11:02   Link #10
The Small One
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
CoC is a trait you get upon birth, while CoA is something everyone could learn and train.
Is it really something everybody could learn?
I got the impression that all sorts of Haki are something they are born with.
Though it doesn't really matter much, since predisposition is an important point anyways. To bring a real world example: Everbody can learn mathematics, or running. But not everybody has the genes to become an olympic athlete or reach a really deep mathematical understanding, regardless of how much training is put into.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-07, 14:55   Link #11
Ka-el
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Then it's practically sure that Mihawk has Haoushoku too, or he would have never been able to be considered the best swordman with a rival like Shanks.
Ka-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-07, 16:38   Link #12
Sekiryuu12
God Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Brasil
Age: 26
If I'm not wrong, Garp doesn't have CoC and was able to equal Roger, so the situation isn't that hopeless...
Sekiryuu12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-07, 17:03   Link #13
Ka-el
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekiryuu12 View Post
If I'm not wrong, Garp doesn't have CoC and was able to equal Roger, so the situation isn't that hopeless...
Well actually it was never stated that Garp doesn't have it. And btw probably oda didn't even mean to make haoushoku this kind of power but he had to for this saga, as he even stated he didn't even know how strawhats would have defeated kaido as he made him too powerful that he couldn't even think about how they would have won against him, this is the answer and so even if he hadn't think about Garp aving CoC maybe in the future he will. And btw, Rocks Pirates had at least 4 haoshoku haki user in the crew, including Rock himself, I doubt that Roger and Rayleigh were the only one between Garp and his men and Roger crew to have haoshoku in that battle.
Ka-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-07, 18:44   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekiryuu12 View Post
If I'm not wrong, Garp doesn't have CoC and was able to equal Roger, so the situation isn't that hopeless...
I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have it.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-08, 06:44   Link #15
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: St. Celestina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have it.
Well... Roger stated that if Marines want to catch him, they have to bring either Garp or Sengoku. That alone already gives Garp the statement that he possesses it as well.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-08, 07:17   Link #16
Bonta Kun
Know who you are
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
Or Garp could just simply be extra ordinary, just pure unfathomable strength and power.

Yea it can be somewhat difficult to imagine he's done what he's done without CoC but we have had no show or tell of him having it.
Just been pure strength and power of presence

I personally like to think he's just that, the real abnormality of human strength in the series.
He's still one of the very few at the absolute top to not have a DF and command respect from pretty much everyone.
__________________
Bonta Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-08, 07:33   Link #17
mickbis
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ARKS Ship
I really like how Kid Killer and Law manage to portray their appreciation toward good teamwork and sacrifice action.
Kid and Killer even volunteer themselves to take on Big Mom despite their original goal of taking Kaidou or
Law willing to risk himself to protect everyone that part of his plan from dying.


The supernova trio dynamic sure is GREAT, they probably earn each other respect after come this far.
mickbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-08, 08:28   Link #18
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Summary updated! Not really much to add after my earlier comments, though. As pointed out already, we've already had a preview of the CoC clashing phenomenon when Roger and Whitebeard fought during Oden's flashback, so it seems Oda had this planned for a while.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
From now on it doesn't matter how good you are with CoA, you will not be able to become the strongest swordsman without having CoC+CoA to give you a more potent self-buff directly infused in your attacks.
CoC is a trait you get upon birth, while CoA is something everyone could learn and train. Before this chapter, this was fine as those two had different applications, but with this chapter it has the exact same application.
Zoro is the character who trains the most on panel so this change to CoC is pretty huge. Also for his backstory: Kuina not born as a man, Zoro not born with CoC. The dream would have the same reason it failed and them unable to do anything against it. No matter how hard they'd train. Poor Kuina, Zoro was lucky twice when he was born.
This implication is why I don't like having CoC for Zoro now.

First off, thanks for clarifying your point! Anyway, call me an optimist or naive if you will, but I don't actually see CoC as an absolute game changer, believe it or not. Mainly because I strongly believe that experience is an important factor, as well. We've actually seen people make effective use of CoA/CoO already (Vergo's CoA coating and Katakuri's precognition come to mind as examples), so I see no reason why they can't have an edge over CoC if used properly. Besides, not too many people are capable of using haki to begin with (even if all humans have the potential for it), so that leaves plenty of room for even the most average of Joes to get creative enough to rise to the top, even above the handful of "conquerors" who exist. So don't give up hope on Kuina possibly becoming a sword master, had she survived her tragic accident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It also makes me wonder what the point of Ryuou was.
It's pretty clear to me that Luffy's applying ryuuou to CoC. Otherwise, those little flashbacks of Hyougoro's teachings would be awfully out of place, wouldn't you agree?
marvelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-08, 18:15   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
It's pretty clear to me that Luffy's applying ryuuou to CoC. Otherwise, those little flashbacks of Hyougoro's teachings would be awfully out of place, wouldn't you agree?
Dude, I wasn't aware of that when I wrote this post!

And Luffy is going to face Kaidou alone after all, huh? It feels like it's too soon for him to take down an emperor all by himself.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-08, 18:48   Link #20
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
And Luffy is going to face Kaidou alone after all, huh? It feels like it's too soon for him to take down an emperor all by himself.
Under most circumstances, I'd agree. But at the very least, Kaidou's been softened up by a constant barrage of attacks from the supernovas thus far, so our rubber friend can probably handle him in a one on one at this point. We already know Kid and Killer will deal with Big Mom, so we probably won't have to worry about her interfering anytime soon....
marvelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.