AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2003-12-02, 22:08   Link #1
CutePuppy

Question A little thought on anime "Previews"

It is pretty late here, and while i was just browsing around on the forum i got through some "Fansubs not legal" topics, and then a thought suddenly popped into my head.

Most people fansubbing does it because they love the anime world, they would do anything to show people what they are missing, and so they start subbing a series so that people can see that this really is something good.

Then after some time the wholes series have been released and then a company discovers that there is a big interest in a particular series, and license it for distribution, that was in the 90's...

Now the calendar says 2003 (at least for a couple of weeks), and many series have already been licensed in the US before it is released in Japan, but still if you rule out the possibility that some people might sub it although it is already licensed... people would have no idea if the show is really worth buying.

That is when i thought that maybe it would be a good idea for the US release companies to release preferably episode 1 of the series they want to distribute, for free so that people has a chance of seeing what it really is, and they might even start to think "Wow, that looks pretty good... /me want"
There might be a lot of issues in this, there even could be some legal issues, considering the fact that if they would release something for free, and share it trough the internet, maybe even BT, then japanese people would be able to get it to. That of course is mostly the problem if we are talking about TV-series.

As it stands now, i download fansubs so that i can check out the story, usually i get the entire series before watching, and if i decide to watch all of it, then it would mean that i kinda like it, and then i go buy the DVD, IF it is avaliable of course.

I must admit that this topic was created right after reading the "unethical fansubbers" editorial on Anime News Network http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial.php?id=43
Although it is an old article it still makes my bells ring when a friendly mail from a company that has licensed an anime is being replied in such an explicit way...

I know that not all Fansub groups are like this, i sincerely hope that only a tiny percentage are.

That mail also goes into the fact that the series might not have been enough people knowing about it, which returns me to my little thought about releasing an episode of a series for free.

This is formally an invitation to join me in discussing the thought, right now i think it isn't to bad of an idea, and i would love to hear other people's thoughts on the topic.
CutePuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 22:12   Link #2
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
They already give out previews for almost free. If you go to any convention, licensors have the promo discs that they give out. Plus, promo discs come with your Newtype.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 22:15   Link #3
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

I personally dont think it's a bad idea...but anime companies already provide trailers...and for them...that's probably enough...

When you buy a dvd MOST (not all) will provide trailers for upcoming or already released anime's....it's not much...but trailers can be just as good cause they provide scenes from the entire series...and for most anime's...it takes more then 1 ep to actually get into the series...

Now...the trailers might only be released after they started releasing the series...but they still have them...and since most people dont jump onto any series they know next to nothing about just as soon as it's released it's not all that bad taht we dont get to see the trailers for a particular series
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 22:16   Link #4
CutePuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
They already give out previews for almost free. If you go to any convention, licensors have the promo discs that they give out. Plus, promo discs come with your Newtype.
With an entire episode ??? All i have seen is those cheasy commercials that shows absolutely nothing about the series in question.
Old 2003-12-02, 22:17   Link #5
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutePuppy
With an entire episode ??? All i have seen is those cheasy commercials that shows absolutely nothing about the series in question.
My newtype came with the entire episode of Angelic Layer ep 1. The current newtype has Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai episode 1. I know promo discs last year from ADV had Excel Saga ep1 on it.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 22:22   Link #6
CutePuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
When you buy a dvd MOST (not all) will provide trailers for upcoming or already released anime's....it's not much...but trailers can be just as good cause they provide scenes from the entire series...and for most anime's...it takes more then 1 ep to actually get into the series...
I know there are a lot of series that doesn't really get into the "Storyline" already in episode 1, but it might still give an idea of the pace of the series and so on...

The trailers are mostly like some kind of small action movies...

Short review of (insert name of trailer her)

First couple of frames shows maybe the main character, of if it is a action series then it might show some guy/girl shooting.
*WHAM!* fast little flash and suddenly you are in an entire different setting and maybe some more characters added.

And around and round it goes... it might have been me that has been unlucky, but i don't have a single anime on DVD with trailers that really makes any sense to me.
And then again, where the H... do you get the trailers from except from the DVD's you buy ?
Old 2003-12-02, 22:24   Link #7
CutePuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
My newtype came with the entire episode of Angelic Layer ep 1. The current newtype has Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai episode 1. I know promo discs last year from ADV had Excel Saga ep1 on it.
And if i am lucky, then i can find that old magazine from last year here in Denmark for the price of 2 new ones in USA... kind of "International" solution i am looking for too...