AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-02-07, 09:54   Link #301
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Mage-types are squishy, and I find SO's AI controls placing the squishies in far to dangerous positions.
Mage AI is fine for the most part in SO1 and SO2 (I can't quite remember what happened in SO3, since all I remember is I mained Sophia).

The big problem is them sucking in terms of damage once you reach mid- to end-game.

Probably the only mage worth playing was Sophia, as her ability to interrupt in SO3 was probably the only thing I actually remember of that game. That said, she still fell WWWAAAAYYYY behind Cliff and Maria in terms of damage.

Quote:
And with the whole 'MP to zero means KO as well' thing that SO3 had going on, that means using MP is the last thing you want to do.
I actually didn't have a problem with this in SO3, from what little I remember. Sophia is not in any danger of being MP killed any moreso than Cliff is gonna get HP killed from using their respecitve moves... it's Sophia getting HP killed and Cliff getting MP killed that was their weakpoint.

Moot point though in SO4, since you can't get mp killed.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 10:50   Link #302
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I ditched casters fairly early because of the MP thing, so I don't know what end-game mages are like. Good to hear the MP thing was taken out in 4 though.

Also, Maria was h4xx... just... plain h4xx. Get that final gun of hers, upgrade it, and you can one-shot anything. And I do mean anything.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 11:46   Link #303
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I dunno, I kinda like the 2D more than the 3D designs and damn the director of this wanted to mke it an eroge, partly he succeeded.
Old 2009-02-07, 18:20   Link #304
problemedchild
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Wait wait wait, they gave a melee healer a casting time?

Good grief. Who was the one that made that decision?
Raine is melee as well.... Estelle's shield and sword for all intents and purposes are there for aesthetic purposes. Her spells have a long enough range to heal anyone on the map, it's just her AI that enjoys meleeing things for no apparent reason.

Has anyone here seen a guide for this game yet? I find it rather surprising such a big game doesn't seem to have an official guide of any sort.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 22:21   Link #305
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
WHAT! I never thought Tri-Ace would gone this far about Reimi (Pics from the spoiled trailer for those who knows
Spoiler:

OMG...

Last edited by IchiKyo; 2009-02-08 at 05:11.
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 23:05   Link #306
Zekori

Sophia was actually quite the demon, made everything along with Maria and Mirage complete cheese in post-dungeons on 4D level with the near endless Explosion Chains. You could even use her to MP tank since that convert book was a bit weird (like 6~8 HP dmg = 1 MP dmg? and Sophia could achieve like 30~40k+ MP? I can't remember actually o_O)

Which was fair reason i actually liked MP killing, it allowed you to have Mage characters become melee tanks and wack things with spells like Efeet(?) in normal mode... just not 4d where melee is suicidal until near post game encounters.

Edit:
Spoilers ahead, Welch PA subbed with Edge and Bacchus. Nothing major, but rather silly. Still if you rather wait for the release don't go for it. There's also other PA's in the youtube related videos, some maybe not subbed so be warned to not to click those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUpEKPb15Cw&fmt=22

Last edited by Zekori; 2009-02-07 at 23:16.
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 23:54   Link #307
Narumi
*Fansubber

There's one with Lymle too. It's cute.
Old 2009-02-08, 05:38   Link #308
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post
WHAT! I never thought Tri-Ace would gone this far about Reimi (Pics from the spoiled trailer for those who knows

. . . .

OMG...
I'm not so sure. I haven't seen that trailer, but I can tell that the beds are different. Two different scenes, or maybe just clever marketing?

I wouldn't be surprised if that scene turns out to be about something entirely different than what it seems to suggest.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 06:19   Link #309
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

The private actions and and do yourself is the best part in Star Ocean. One reason why I like the series, though SO4 characters in 3D still hasn't grown on my taste buds, but the 2D art and figures did though. Can't wait for the game to come out.
Old 2009-02-08, 11:04   Link #310
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I'm not so sure. I haven't seen that trailer, but I can tell that the beds are different. Two different scenes, or maybe just clever marketing?

I wouldn't be surprised if that scene turns out to be about something entirely different than what it seems to suggest.
Nah it's different scenes, separated in the trailer.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 13:24   Link #311
Zekori

Even if it was, big freaking whoop. It wouldn't be the first time a male main character banged a female in video game RPG history.
Old 2009-02-08, 13:47   Link #312
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Heck, we even had a male character banging another male character before. This just makes me cheer, it's about time we got something deeper then smiles.
Old 2009-02-08, 20:26   Link #313
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Spoiler for JP trailer:
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 04:52   Link #314
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Spoiler for for discussion about Japanese trailer:
Old 2009-02-09, 05:08   Link #315
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Seconded, why the rage? Seriously, all we've been getting as confirmation of love in recent RPG's are smiles. Here we finally have a couple that might go a little deeper, why the hell would you rage over it?
Old 2009-02-09, 05:13   Link #316
Tasselonious

I have never heard of that...sorry.

I wonder if I can ask a question? You see, I'm completely new to this site and i can't figure out how to post a thread/forum (I don't know the differance between those two either sad to say) and I was wondering if you could help me out?
Tasselonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 05:47   Link #317
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Seconded, why the rage? Seriously, all we've been getting as confirmation of love in recent RPG's are smiles. Here we finally have a couple that might go a little deeper, why the hell would you rage over it?
Actually, DragoonKain3 only raged because he earlier assumed that Edge isn't the one with Reimi in that scene from the trailer.

Frankly, I don't see the big deal either, regardless if it goes one way or the other. Sex has been a theme in RPGs before, usually on Western ones, but even in a JRPG such as this, I don't see a problem with it being included.

The funny thing is, the producer wanted to make an ero game, and here we are talking about this.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 06:00   Link #318
Zekori

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
The funny thing is, the producer wanted to make an ero game, and here we are talking about this.
Pretty sure that may have been just a joke.

Spoiler for Speculation around Reimi.:
Old 2009-02-09, 06:08   Link #319
Aaerul

Differences between the JP and US Star Ocean 4 versions.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=59771

Its already been raised earlier but this link pronounces the differences by putting the screen caps side by side.

My main concern is that the anime versions of the characters are capable of much more expressive emotes than the CG version.

I just hope that they leave the anime-styled HUDs in the dialog scenes/chatbox scenes. Too much meaning would be removed from the game if characters didn't have facial expressions.

The VGChartz forum community seem to have responded positively to the interface changes in the US version.
Aaerul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 07:15   Link #320
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Oh... crap.... the removal of the anime portraits probably means the portraits in the dialog boxes will be removed as well...

Definitely not a change I will not be happy with, if that's the case.