AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-03-03, 17:16   Link #1
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Sam & Max Cancelled!!!!

DAMMIT!

Everyone start writing letters to LucasArts and complain...

How can you cancel Sam & Max? They're the freaking coolest!
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 17:24   Link #2
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

You're talking about this, right?

It's not gonna help, you know. With all the piracy going on in PC gaming, no wonder companies drop games that aren't mainstream enough. Probably the reason why a lot of companies have begun focusing on consoles instead. As much as I liked the old Sam & Max, I doubt it would sell any good, since it doesn't appeal sufficiently to mainstream gamers. Grim Fandango is said to be a great game, but it sold very poorly back when it came out. I guess they just don't want to take any chances anymore, which I can't really blame them for.
Old 2004-03-03, 17:30   Link #3
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3

It's not gonna help, you know. With all the piracy going on in PC gaming, no wonder companies drop games that aren't mainstream enough. Probably the reason why a lot of companies have begun focusing on consoles instead. As much as I liked the old Sam & Max, I doubt it would sell any good, since it doesn't appeal sufficiently to mainstream gamers. Grim Fandango is said to be a great game, but it sold very poorly back when it came out. I guess they just don't want to take any chances anymore, which I can't really blame them for.
It's not piracy...it's because Star Wars Galaxies blew huge chunks. They thought they'd be making more cash off of that, and now they can't afford to take those chances anymore. The Petitions almost never work...they just go to show that the dumbasses who cancelled or did whatever are huge retards.

But, they cancelled this, they cancelled Full Throttle 2...market conditions haven't changed that much so that Syberia was a super-hit last year, and now nobody cares about adventure games anymore. Dreamcatcher Interactive JUST publishes adventure games...and they're still around, so there's obviously a market for this game.
Old 2004-03-03, 19:13   Link #4
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
awwww
i remember playing sam and max hit the road
that game cracked me up...
FT i only remember a bit....it was short as anything
but yah
im sad to see em axed
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 20:15   Link #5
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3

Unfortunately, with the way things are going, even console game sales is not going to save good game developers. The PS2 game piracy is very rampant in the Asian region (I'm not too sure about Japan but I bet that's where the companies get their revenue to survive on). Piracy on X-Box games seems few but you can see some of the pirates hawking them.

Sooner or later we might have to say goodbye to a few more companies.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 20:22   Link #6
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Unfortunately, with the way things are going, even console game sales is not going to save good game developers. The PS2 game piracy is very rampant in the Asian region (I'm not too sure about Japan but I bet that's where the companies get their revenue to survive on). Piracy on X-Box games seems few but you can see some of the pirates hawking them.

Sooner or later we might have to say goodbye to a few more companies.
You can't sell pirated X-Box games when everyone can just download them onto the XBox's hard drive.
Old 2004-03-03, 20:30   Link #7
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhJustSomeRandomGuy
You can't sell pirated X-Box games when everyone can just download them onto the XBox's hard drive.
How is that different from someone downloading a game and burning it to a DVD for the PS2? Or perhaps the pirates make compatible pressed DVDs for the PS2, since I figure if anime bootleggers have access to a DVD presser...
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 20:46   Link #8
MwyC

Quote:
the xbox HD is 6 gig i believe
a dvd game is 4 or so gig
amount of pirated games that can be stored on an xbox - 1 and a bit
Old 2004-03-03, 20:52   Link #9
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MwyC
the xbox HD is 6 gig i believe
a dvd game is 4 or so gig
amount of pirated games that can be stored on an xbox - 1 and a bit
Hard drives that can be swapped out of an XBox for a MUCH larger one? 1.

If you don't care about playing on Live, you can hack the crap out of an XBox. You aren't going to find a market for priated XBox games as much, because once people learn how easy it is to d/l them for free...they don't see the need to pay anyone. At least you don't use up your own DVDs like on the PS2 games.
Old 2004-03-03, 21:33   Link #10
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3

I like adventure games too! Sadly I don't think they'll *ever* make a come back. It has more to do with the fact that it's hard to make the puzzles easy enough for new gamers and tough enough for people who've been playing them for years.

Although fan made games aren't that bad. This one isn't too bad. ^_^ also, the Reality on the Norm series is pretty good. (as long as you avoid the ones by captain mostly)
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 21:48   Link #11
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
I didn't know whether your stance was:
  • downloadable Live content. Changing to this method of marketing software (ala that stupid and ghostware Phantom) would render piracy of material near-impossible.
or
  • no need to buy the games, just download off warez sites.
I see from your later posts that you are of the second stance.

Unfortunately the mentality of the consumers and the business model of the software pirates is not what you think it is.

Even though with the penetration of broadband into online access these days, pirates are selling their pirated software like hotcakes. Reasons:
  1. The common console consumer is not likely to be able to access warez sites for various reasons.
  2. The common console consumer is not a techie to know where to get warez or be able to configure his system for warez. He is not going to want to spend additional money to swap the components of his X-Box which he already paid a bundle to have the mod-chip and he typically lacks the skillz to DIY as well.
  3. Downloading is a hassle since it involves time and some effort. Most consumers are lazy. Since pirated software is selling for a pittance compared to the original's price, the avarice and one-upness of the common consumer would induce them to purchase from the pirates.
  4. The hardcore techie warez/crackz groups are mired in their layers of secrecy & l33tN355 via exclusive IRC channels. The common consumer would not bother to find them and is likely to be kicked out if they try to intrude to get freebies.
The business model of the pirates:
  1. Find warez distribution.
  2. Download warez.
  3. Burn warez to disc via multi-burners workstations (in the case of the richer pirates, they have CD presses).
  4. Sell to the ignorant public replications of stolen goods.
In any event, pirates can and will exist.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 22:01   Link #12
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

I was just specifically trying to show you why there weren't as many pirated XBox games for sale. I wasn't trying to be all deep or anything.
Old 2004-03-04, 10:22   Link #13
MwyC

Quote:
Hard drives that can be swapped out of an XBox for a MUCH larger one? 1.

If you don't care about playing on Live, you can hack the crap out of an XBox. You aren't going to find a market for priated XBox games as much, because once people learn how easy it is to d/l them for free...they don't see the need to pay anyone. At least you don't use up your own DVDs like on the PS2 games.
oh yeah, heheheh, i forgot about that option
copying ps2 dvd games is getting cheaper and cheaper now, with dvdrs coming to about 100-150 cdn and dvd-r's selling for about 2 bucks cdn each, if bought in stacks of 100 or so
Old 2004-03-04, 10:45   Link #14
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Let's come back on-topic please
Old 2004-03-04, 12:34   Link #15
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

http://www.petitiononline.com/LACOSAM/petition.html
Old 2004-03-08, 15:05   Link #16
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

anyone ever remember Day of the Tentancle? that game was jokes... it's too bad that Sam and Max got cancelled... but I don't think that petitions are necessary...
Old 2004-03-08, 15:22   Link #17
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chronics
anyone ever remember Day of the Tentancle? that game was jokes... it's too bad that Sam and Max got cancelled... but I don't think that petitions are necessary...
Petitions are SO necessary...not because it'd actually get the game released, but it lets the Marketing Dept. know that they're huge idiots, and it lets the rest of the world know, too...hopefully these people get replaced and someone with real insight gets put into their position to make the decision right the next time.

Day of the Tentacle did totally rock. It's one of my favorites, along with Zak KcKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.
Old 2004-04-21, 03:51   Link #18
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
The lmid 80s to mid 90s was Lucas Art's golden years imo... they produced Full Throttle, Maniac Manson, Dig, Day of the Tenticale, Sam & Max, and the Indiana Jones games. Both Sierra and Lucas Arts were the kings of action games on the PC. And I looked at the petition, is 24260 a lot?
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 08:31   Link #19
GipFace

Petitions are SO necessary...

When was the last time an online petition worked? *hears silence*

It's impossible for LucasArts to know just how many of those signatures are legit. What's to stop someone from signing multiple times? Ergo, you're wasting your time. Twenty-four thousand letters written in ink would produce better results.

Whoever thinks petitiononline.com is effective needs to look at reality.
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 09:27   Link #20
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
i didn't play sam & max but i was seriously pissed when they cancelled full throttle 2 the first part was amazing i am very sad of what happened kindda remind of of the feeling i got when they put shenmue 3 on pause