AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-04-05, 11:43   Link #81
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Well, this one, next to Fate and Oregairu is on the run to become my AOTS. The story is really fresh and entertaining, the characters are interesting, and the feels might arise throughout the season.
About the chapter, it was really good, but there are two aspects that I didn't like it: sometimes the faces/expressions didn't match the feelings of some specific scenes, and that bad try of comedy scene to relax the mood at the end(which could have worked if it was well done).
9/10, definitely gonna keep watching.
Old 2015-04-05, 11:50   Link #82
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Highly enjoyable, except for the final "joke." I fear for the future if the director finds that amusing enough to end an episode on.

Other than that, this was superior classic moe: I could feel Ken Akamatsu's "autonomic reflex to protect" her, the girl who is small, sick, sad, clumsy, incompetent, doomed, and really, really cute. The word "moe" has devolved into a generalized meaning of "cute." Here it has its original full meaning again, at least for one show. There was even the gap moe of her high physical capabilities set against her various weaknesses, and maybe you could say of her confidence set against her fail strategies.

I felt as if this director's previous shows -- GJ Club and Engaged to the Unidentified (Mikakunin de Shinkoukei) were less awkwardly told than this show, and maybe aimed at a slightly older audience, but a lot of things worked well here. The basic concept is good, and they got the appropriate amount of feels out of it, I thought. That first meeting in the elevator was great. And it's always good to be able to ponder our own death.

I wonder when we will find out how old Isla is?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2015-04-05 at 13:16.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 13:19   Link #83
Sides

Best show I have seen this season so far. Ok, some of the jokes are quite subpar, but the story in the first episode was enjoyable.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 13:50   Link #84
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

This was a good first ep but I find the comedy doesn't really fit, especially at the end - took away some of the emotional climax at the end there.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 14:06   Link #85
Marina2

Ep.1

Hmm, "MCs meets people as a part of their job and try to fix their problem"

Kind of similar to Shinigami no Ballad and Shigofumi in term of the feeling.

Since I like this kind of plot, I will follow this one.
Old 2015-04-05, 14:41   Link #86
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Doesn't explain how the nice clean number of hours is derived (2^13 * 10). I hope a decent part of the plot will involve the guys uncovering the truth behind the design. One possibility is that they run out of processing power to handle all the accumulated experience and no effective means of sorting/cleanup exist.
As I said, greedy company.
You don't make money if your products hold forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranhieu View Post
I don't like the idea of copying/transferring old memories to a new android. Such action can lead to security and privacy breach. Can owners really rest assured that there will only be 1 copy made in total? Besides, just like that obaasan said, that kind of treatment will make Giftia nothing short of a mere object. Memories need to be treated with respect.
Actually, its impossible for them to grow older which is even crueler as they have to watch people die around them while they always stay young.

Take the case of the child and the grandmother - The android will always remain in its current form, the grandmother however will not.

And no, if they were able to copy the memories to another body it wouldn't be respectless or making them mere objects.
In fact if you do you actually give them a longer live span and their personality is the sum of their memories in the first place.

What she didn't like was the prospect of having them update her 'grandaugther's' OS, while she would loose all her memories, and not even have the same personality.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 14:57   Link #87
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
And no, if they were able to copy the memories to another body it wouldn't be respectless or making them mere objects.
In fact if you do you actually give them a longer live span and their personality is the sum of their memories in the first place.
Have you watched Kara no Kyoukai? The epilogue episode introduced me to a nice reasoning why you have to take the body into equation as well. Since the body defines how we interact with the world and how the world interacts with us, it also defines our personality and behavioral patterns. Therefore thinking of our soul/personality as one part and our body as another is somewhat naive. Many people's personalities change when their health starts deteriorating. This show could just as well be trying to say stuff on preciousness of the one life we have. The old lady, in my opinion, recognized the futility of pursuing another Giftia just like hers. It'll never be the same, no matter what the company does.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 15:00   Link #88
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Facebook for example is notorious for breaking EU data protection law, yet people in the EU still use it.
Google chrome has been found to spy pout your browing field, in the past yet a lot of peoiple still use it.
These cases aren't exactly comparable. The critical and highly private information stored by the androids is a number of levels higher. You still have some degree of control over which information to hand over to Facebook and while Google and Facebook seem omnipresent, they aren't. Those androids on the other hand are around you at your home all the time. Depending on how you "use" them they know everything about your health situation, your mental condition, your economic situation, your family situation etc. etc.

Quote:
As I said, greedy company.
You don't make money if your products hold forever.
It's always easy to blame the evil corporation. In the absence of more info those judgements are pointless, however. It comes down to two things, first, how much does it cost to increase the lifespan of an android, where the marginal cost lies. And second, whether the customers are willing to pay the premium that a longer lifespan entails.
Old 2015-04-05, 15:11   Link #89
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
It's always easy to blame the evil corporation. In the absence of more info those judgements are pointless, however. It comes down to two things, first, how much does it cost to increase the lifespan of an android, where the marginal cost lies. And second, whether the customers are willing to pay the premium that a longer lifespan entails.
I'd also argue that owners fully knew, in advance, what they signed up for. They basically bought a service with a time limit, they didn't buy a slave, adopted a child, or took in a relative or a friend. Getting attached to these things I think is natural. Hell, we get attached to fictional characters, us humans have that capacity. But they had to know that in a sense what they were signing up for was fiction. Even worse, they rented their Giftia friends, thus they have no control over them outside their contract.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 15:13   Link #90
SeaDoor

I thought this was overall a disappointing first episode, not because of the story but because of the writing and direction. This story deserves better handling than what was shown here. The mix of drama and comedy would have been better served with a lighter touch. This felt too forced on both sides, lacking any finesse. Hopefully, the production team will settle on a more nuanced approach in coming episodes. If this continues with the same heavy handed approach, I'll probably drop it.

For me, the story here at the beginning reminds me of a blend of Blade Runner and Mahoromatic because of the reminder at the end of each episode.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 15:47   Link #91
Yamato Nadeshiko
Banned

What a tough job they got thither. Being the one to take the "life" of their customer's love ones. It's painful.
Yamato Nadeshiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 16:24   Link #92
MartianMage

I'm not sure if I missed it so I would appreciate it if someone can tell me a timestamp where it actually explains why is it a problem if they don't retrieve the giftias? I mean wouldn't they just stay immobile/inactive if they expire?
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!

Last edited by MartianMage; 2015-04-05 at 16:35.
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 16:39   Link #93
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
I'm not sure if I missed it so I would appreciate it if someone can tell me a timestamp where it actually explains why is it a problem if they don't retrieve the giftias? I mean wouldn't they just stay immobile/inactive if they expire?
We have not been told...several other posters have been wondering the same thing - including me! ^^
Old 2015-04-05, 16:45   Link #94
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
We have not been told...several other posters have been wondering the same thing - including me! ^^
Ah I see. Thanks! Will keep watching this series.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2015-04-05, 17:01   Link #95
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
These cases aren't exactly comparable. The critical and highly private information stored by the androids is a number of levels higher. You still have some degree of control over which information to hand over to Facebook and while Google and Facebook seem omnipresent, they aren't. Those androids on the other hand are around you at your home all the time. Depending on how you "use" them they know everything about your health situation, your mental condition, your economic situation, your family situation etc. etc.

Point taken.

As someone already pointed out, their lifespan looks a bit suspcious.

A straight and even number, resulting from multiplying an exponent of 2 by 10.

Only way to make it more suspicious would be making it exactly 32767 imho.

And the rumor of electronics being built to break after X years nowadays isn't really new either. So I suspect the story might lean on that.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 17:11   Link #96
Yamato Nadeshiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I thought 'twas already told. Their memories gets unstable by the time thus making them dangerous to people as said in 3:45-3:56, episode 1
Old 2015-04-05, 17:26   Link #97
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato Nadeshiko View Post
I thought 'twas already told. Their memories gets unstable by the time thus making them dangerous to people as said in 3:45-3:56, episode 1
It only says their memories and personalities start to disintegrate... it doesn't really cover why they are dangerous.

Last edited by MartianMage; 2015-04-05 at 17:55.
Old 2015-04-05, 17:32   Link #98
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
As someone already pointed out, their lifespan looks a bit suspcious.

A straight and even number, resulting from multiplying an exponent of 2 by 10.
Of course the cut-off point is deliberately chosen. Just because it's deliberately chosen doesn't mean it's automatically "suspicious". Who knows, perhaps the rate of defects with potentially harmful consequences increases exponentially after a certain number of hours so they chose 81.920 as a standardised shut-off point to prevent any accidents. As a company one thing you don't want is to get a lawsuit on your hands. Especially not in the United States.

Quote:
And the rumor of electronics being built to break after X years nowadays isn't really new either. So I suspect the story might lean on that.
I know of the stories about devices being built to break down after about 2-3 years. Though, while 9 years isn't all that much in terms of human lifespan, for a product it is sufficiently long. Depending on how the technology looks like in the Plastic Memories world the storage space and processing powers needed to handle 9 years of continuous service and accumulated data can be significant.
Old 2015-04-05, 17:56   Link #99
Yamato Nadeshiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
It only says their memories and personalities disappear... it doesn't really cover why they are dangerous.
I guess, it's like a pc, when a pc lost certain data, it won't function well. It hangs, lags and it doth abnormal portance. Doth I hast to mention, that this couldst lead to impair'd judgment that will lief result to. . thou wot, a killing machine that is.

Ara, I don't want that.

Speaking of personalities, won't it also be a problem if thy love one's personality change all of a sudden. It will cause problems too right?
Old 2015-04-05, 18:03   Link #100
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato Nadeshiko View Post
I guess, it's like a pc, when a pc lost certain data, it won't function well. It hangs, lags and it doth abnormal portance. Doth I hast to mention, that this couldst lead to impair'd judgment that will lief result to. . thou wot, a killing machine that is.

Ara, I don't want that.
I think it's pretty obvious that there should be safeguards against giftias committing such actions regardless of their personality/memory. Would be kinda ridiculous if there aren't.

The easiest thing I can think of would be the giftias spilling private information to random people... it's not that hard to think of some bad drawbacks with corrupted memory data but it would be greatly appreciated if the show itself established what kind of problems they do.

Tags
love triangle, sci-fi, tragedy