AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Old 2021-02-23, 21:27   Link #521
Applehell

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-24, 03:14   Link #522
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
The witches introduced correspond to 9 cardinal sins once established by catholic church. There wouldn't be anymore witches, at based on sins because historically that all was recognized at one point.
Actually, vanity and sadness were first mentioned by the monk in his list of eight bad habits. Later, Catholic Church removed these two from the list, and rebranded envy as the seventh deadly sins.

https://youtu.be/o7zg75_-3kM?t=281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I wonder why they're going out of their way to hide Echidna's eyes in the flashbacks. I feel bad for Meyer and Beatrice, being completely manipulated by her. At least with Roswaal she outright told him she's an evil witch who only occasionally does good things, so he was warned.
So many people are so negative. They thinks this is all setup, which Echidna tried to entrap Meyer. However, Meyer did it willingly. Echidna does good thing by setting up the refugee camp, and Meyer describes herself as one of the refugees. In previous episode, before Subaru about to make a contract with Echidna, other witch warned that Echidna is up to no good when she is interested about his uniqueness. So, for Echidna to do a bad thing, there must something she does not have.

In the previous episodes, the archbishop of sloth also ran a refuge camp, and he became the father figure for Emilia. However, he was unable to stop Pandora from attacking the village. He probably put up a good fight with the archbishop of greed, talking about Schism in Witch's Cult.

Beatrice somehow know the archbishop of sloth. When she learned that he's dead from Subaru, she shows the sad face. Maybe they used to work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Yes, exactly. As stated by Tappei, beings who take in witch factors are called Witches, although the modern contemporary title is Sin Archbishops, but within the same age as Witches there were also Devils (common fan-translation was Warlock but the "powers-that-be" at Kadokawa seem set on the Devil translation and probably forced it on Yen Press and Crunchyroll). Hector, "Melancholy", is the only Devil known to exist though, so they're considered rare.
Subaru has the weaker version of an invisible hand, but it still does not make him the archbishop of sloth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Is it just me, or when Echidna showed up, Hector was talking the way Roswaal does in the present? With that like, elongation of random words thing.
Something as? "Well, I used to visit Echndna for a chat. So, I munched her cookies and sip her tea."

It might explain why Hector looks so pissed when he is facing Echidna.

Last edited by scififan; 2021-02-24 at 03:34.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-24, 03:32   Link #523
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
Subaru has the weaker version of an invisible hand, but it still does not make him the archbishop of sloth.
I didn't say anything about Subaru at all. Talking about Subaru and his relation to witch factors is a mountain of spoilers I won't be touching here in an anime-only thread.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-24, 03:43   Link #524
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
I didn't say anything about Subaru at all. Talking about Subaru and his relation to witch factors is a mountain of spoilers I won't be touching here in an anime-only thread.
"beings who take in witch factors are called Witches, although the modern contemporary title is Sin Archbishops"

Then, why do you quote the author's word to confuse others? All you have to say is there are exceptions, and the statement is not absolute.
Old 2021-02-24, 04:17   Link #525
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
"beings who take in witch factors are called Witches, although the modern contemporary title is Sin Archbishops"

Then, why do you quote the author's word to confuse others? All you have to say is there are exceptions, and the statement is not absolute.
I can't talk about exceptions, with what I know about future story I may accidentally spoil.

The author's statement is from his own live tweeting of the episode.
Old 2021-02-24, 11:08   Link #526
Frontier

So Garfiel could leave Sanctuary any time he wanted to, he just never had the will to do it, but now he's ready to join Subaru and the Bro Squad in protecting the Mansion. And was there some kind of implication I missed about him and Frederica's father(s) other than their mom had poor taste in men? Do they actually have the same father that abandoned the both of them ?

Reinhard's so legendary he already has his own idiom. Too bad Frederica's a little mad he didn't finish off Elsa when he had the chance, and she's gotten even stronger since then .

Emilia honestly sounds like a girlfriend miffed that her boyfriend left while she was busy with something. I love it .

Ram has come to truly respect Emilia and gives her a genuinely heartfelt plea to help save Roswaal from his obsessions. Emilia doesn't quite know what Ram wants her to do, but she's ready to rise to the challenge .

Roswaal still thinks he's talking about season 1 Subaru, but Emilia knows better. Subaru doesn't idealize Emilia, he's openly acknowledged her flaws and complained to her, he just also believes in the ideal Emilia he knows she can be, and she's going to work her hardest to fulfill those expectations .

So the second Trial is the present, right? I really wonder what Emilia is going to deal with there .

So...Roswaal was behind the attack on Rem and Ram's village and basically been using them as tools this whole time. Ram took this "bet" on Subaru's plan as a chance to take him on, whether for revenge or (it seems) because she genuinely wants to divert him from this foolish plan that has him trapped by the past and his obsessions. Just a really complicated mess of relationships and motivations all around. But hey, we've got Ram and Puck tag-teaming Roswaal, so that's pretty cool .

I guess we finally know what the snow in Sanctuary was all about. It was summoned by Roswaal to herald the Great Rabbit, I guess ?

Well, Subaru was right, they did attack the mansion early. Poor Petra staying behind to try and save Rem and everyone else, but luckily Subaru arrives just in time to truly turn the tide .

We have the long-awaited reunion between Frederica and Garfiel (with Garfiel amazed at how much his sister has grown) against Elsa, with Garfiel about to go all out against her, and Subaru back to save Beatrice. Is Otto going to try and take down Maylie? Looks like next week is going to be action-packed .
Old 2021-02-24, 11:58   Link #527
Tokkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
So...Roswaal was behind the attack on Rem and Ram's village and basically been using them as tools this whole time.
Not quite. He wasn't behind it but he was kind of responsible for just letting it happen. The implication in the scene, with him holding the Tome of Wisdom, is that he used knowledge from it in order to manufacture the circumstances leading to her swearing loyalty to him.
Old 2021-02-24, 15:00   Link #528
Thor's Hammer

It's not even the real Tome of Wisdom given that Roswaal said it was the closest thing to the Tome of Wisdom in Cour 1 of Season 2. It's basically a working copy of it instead of the defective Witch Cult Gospels, and I refer to it as the not-quite-Tome of Wisdom.

I had always thought that Roswaal was a Witch cultist after the flashback in Season 1 given how things played out, and this episode pretty much confirms it. Roswaal truly does follow what his not-quite-Tome of Wisdom says given that he is reneging on his statement to make it snow on the third day. It's clear just as it was in Cour 1 of this arc that Roswaal makes it snow whenever Subaru leaves the Sanctuary when his copy of the Tome updates itself to account for Subaru's decision to leave rather than waiting for a specific day.
Thor's Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-24, 15:38   Link #529
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I guess we finally know what the snow in Sanctuary was all about. It was summoned by Roswaal to herald the Great Rabbit, I guess ?
They mentioned this before. The rabbit is drawn to massive mana spikes. He was going to use a massive mana spike to change the weather, knowing it would summon the rabbit.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-24, 19:45   Link #530
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finding Garfiel was actually half-human all along like his sister and that he could freely leave sanctuary was... funny, I guess? It mostly makes Subaru look extremely stupid though. His master plan to foil the attack was to talk Roswaal out of it, and the back up plan is him and Otto going? If Ram couldn't do anything, Otto can't either. He's extremely lucky, and I don't like that luck is such a strong factor.
Old 2021-02-24, 20:16   Link #531
Frontier

Quote:
Finding Garfiel was actually half-human all along like his sister and that he could freely leave sanctuary was... funny, I guess? It mostly makes Subaru look extremely stupid though. His master plan to foil the attack was to talk Roswaal out of it, and the back up plan is him and Otto going? If Ram couldn't do anything, Otto can't either. He's extremely lucky, and I don't like that luck is such a strong factor.
Well, Ram says his true power is his incredible timing, which I guess is also a matter of luck .

I think Otto's going to end up dealing with Maylie so they don't get attacked by Mabeasts in the mansion.
Old 2021-02-24, 20:36   Link #532
HandofFate

man, Ram isn't being cute at all, unlike her sister. Is what I felt during a lot of this arc, but nice to see what the hell was her deal.

Last edited by HandofFate; 2021-02-24 at 20:50.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-24, 21:57   Link #533
Thor's Hammer

When Roswaal says the world is going to end soon, I think he is assuming, much like when Beatrice decided that her not-quite-Tome of Wisdom not having any new pages meant that she was going to die, that the world is ending because there is no more new information in his book. I think what that remark really means is that Ram and Puck will be successful in destroying Roswaal's book, and that's why it doesn't show any new information, leading to Roswaal declaring that the world is ending soon.
Old 2021-02-25, 08:10   Link #534
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor's Hammer View Post
When Roswaal says the world is going to end soon, I think he is assuming, much like when Beatrice decided that her not-quite-Tome of Wisdom not having any new pages meant that she was going to die, that the world is ending because there is no more new information in his book. I think what that remark really means is that Ram and Puck will be successful in destroying Roswaal's book, and that's why it doesn't show any new information, leading to Roswaal declaring that the world is ending soon.
He says this world has deviated from what is written in the book, so that's why he thinks it's going to end. He believes what's written in his book is the "one true path".
Old 2021-02-28, 00:05   Link #535
Thor's Hammer

I gave it some thought, and I have an idea that explains why Ram is working with Roswaal even though it doesn’t explain everything about their relationship like how Ram is attracted to Roswaal, which could be Stockholm Syndrome.

On Ram, I know her relationship with Roswaal is still murky, but I am speculating about something regarding their relationship based off of what we’ve seen in Season 1 and Season 2, inferring that Roswaal is the one keeping Ram alive. Roswaal indicated in Season 1 at the end of the first arc that Ram had used a lot of mana, so he’ll have to tend to her, which entailed touching her horn area. At the time, I thought it had a sexual purpose given Ram’s reaction to it, but after episode 40 when Ram started bleeding from her horn area when she used her demon powers to fight Garfiel, it’s clear that Ram overburdened herself by attempting to tap into those powers without her horn, so given Roswaal’s remark that she had lost a lot of mana, I now conclude that Ram cannot regain her mana naturally because of her horn being cut off, meaning that Roswaal is the one keeping Ram alive. I remember in Season 1 during the White Whale fight that the Night Banisher’s brightness dimmed some time after Rem used her horn, which shows that demon horns draw in mana from the atmosphere, and that’s how I came to this conclusion. Ram lost the part of her that naturally replenishes her mana, so she must have somebody who has the sufficient mana reserves to keep her alive with that person being Roswaal.
Old 2021-02-28, 02:59   Link #536
scififan

Quote:
He says this world has deviated from what is written in the book, so that's why he thinks it's going to end. He believes what's written in his book is the "one true path".
Doesn't he tell Ram his only path is to reunite with Echidna. After 400 years of trying, he confessed to Subaru that he is giving up. Subaru thinks the clown wizard is too stubborn. So, the magic book is probably showing him what to do, if he has a certain goal. Assuming the book has same role for Beatriz. Since she has no desire to move on, the book stopped showing her what to do. On the other hand, the books are the farewell gift from Echidna. It might have nefarious purpose.
Old 2021-02-28, 16:53   Link #537
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Betty's copy is purposefully defective, and Echidna admited as much when asked by Subaru why she did something so cruel to Betty.
Old 2021-03-03, 11:05   Link #538
Frontier

It's a battle of fists and blade as Garfiel battles Elsa! And as always, Elsa makes attempted murder feel like foreplay .

Poor, poor Beatrice...she feels so alone and despondent, only able to cling to what memories she has of her mother and the faith she has in her mother's books, because everyone else she's cared about have either betrayed or left her. All she feels she has left to look forward to is the end. Subaru has to get through to her, but it doesn't seem like it will be through this expectation of "that person," a savior who will give her a reason to live again .

So, yeah, they still have Maylie to deal with. And while her minor Mabeasts aren't a problem, she has a huge hippo/pig and lion/griffin beasts to worry about. At least Petra got to tell her off for a second .

Frederica has found a reason to live with being reunited with her brother and having Petra. Thank you for saving Rem, Frederica .

Poor Otto still gets no respect, but at least Emilia remembered him .

Emilia's "unthinkable present" is her ideal present of living in the village normally along with Guese and Mother Fortuna (in a dress!). She gets to go on an outing with the two who were her parents, finally calling Guese "father," and works to make sure these two get together. It's what Emilia would have wanted, but she realizes it's just a fantasy and that there are too many people counting on her for her to get lost in it. She has to be a strong person and face reality, like her mother before her .

Oh yeah, I guess Emilia has no idea about Guese being the guy who attacked the mansion with the Witch's Cult, huh? I guess it's better that she not know what happened to him, but I kind of wish she didn't have to always think about what happened to him after he left with Pandora .

Why does Echidna hate Emilia so much? To have such an emotional reaction? Is it because Emilia keeps defying her expectations and proves to be a person Echidna never could be because she doesn't understand real, non self-serving, emotions ?

Emilia truly has the gratitude of the villagers and the belief of the other half-breeds in Sanctuary! She's come a long way. Although I wonder what the unthinkable future or disaster to come of the final trial will indicate? It's based on her memories, so maybe Pandora attacking and killing everyone ?
Old 2021-03-03, 15:25   Link #539
GDB

Gotta say, I was a little disappointed in this episode. It felt like every story segment inched one inch further onward, but nothing really happened. Guess that's to be expected when you try to fit in Garf vs Elsa, Beatrice, Maylie vs Frederica, what Subaru's gang is doing, AND what Emila's doing. They even managed to fit in a little Ram vs Roswaal.

Hoping next week will be a bit more focused, but I want at least one of these plot threads to conclude (or in Beatrice's case, at least reach the next milestone).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-03, 15:35   Link #540
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Gotta say, I was a little disappointed in this episode. It felt like every story segment inched one inch further onward, but nothing really happened. Guess that's to be expected when you try to fit in Garf vs Elsa, Beatrice, Maylie vs Frederica, what Subaru's gang is doing, AND what Emila's doing. They even managed to fit in a little Ram vs Roswaal.

Hoping next week will be a bit more focused, but I want at least one of these plot threads to conclude (or in Beatrice's case, at least reach the next milestone).
I think Emilia completing the second trial is significant enough, even if Echidna didn't seem to think she'd have much trouble (although she's still pretty emotional about it).