AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-09-01, 05:04   Link #1
veron_v6

Get I/O device error?

I used a storage device to store my stuffs. But recently, I try to open it, It gives me an error message:drive not accessible due to I/O device error. May I know what does it mean?

I'm using XP home edition. Do anyone know how to resolve it? Thanks.
veron_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 06:15   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I take it you're talking about some type of external drive connected via USB?

First, try removing the USB cable from your computer then reconnecting it. In both cases you should hear a chime. When you reconnect the device a dialog balloon should pop up saying that Windows sees the device and recognizes it.

If that doesn't help, the hard drive inside the device could have failed. If so, you might want to read through this thread. If the drive has failed the prospects of your recovering the information are a bit grim.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 09:02   Link #3
Tiberium Wolf

Besides what SeijiSensei said try too other usbs ports. I had that error before on usb devices and that was the fault of the usb controller that sucked. The only option is to reconnect it either in the same port or other. If testing in another pc with a different MB(so different usb controller) still doesn't work you migh consider the device damaged.
Old 2007-09-01, 21:07   Link #4
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

As an additional note, I have seen hard disks (external ones and internal) do this if the drive "spins down" during operation. This could happen because of your computer reducing overall power consumption and heading towards "sleep" or even from a simple power reduction - brownout. At any rate, I hope that you are able to just unplug and re-plug the USB (if it is a USB device) back in and it works.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote