AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-12, 05:12   Link #101
windseer
vocaholic

Wow the ending for ep 1 was very unexpected for me.

Spoiler for Kimi ni Todoke:
windseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 05:13   Link #102
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

Damn you Sawako.... you should give him the chocolates!!
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Kazuma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 06:14   Link #103
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Pin is the king of cockblocking.

Comments and blog post later.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 06:14   Link #104
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Sawako She almost gave it but that damn b*tch again. She should die by a pitchfork. EPIC PHAIL KURUMI.

As the episode itself, it brings back the totally awesome romance of Kimi ni Todoke. I thought she could have at least given the chocolates.. I mean they already went for a date. Arrgh. The slowness is the show's appeal though. Also the snail pace relationship of Sawako and Kazehaya.
Old 2011-01-12, 06:55   Link #105
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Sawako She almost gave it but that damn b*tch again. She should die by a pitchfork. EPIC PHAIL KURUMI.
This is a situation Sawako brought upon herself. She had plenty of chances to hand over the chocolates but failed to do so because of her lack of confidence.

Sawako was also lying to herself by saying that the chocolates were a simply "thank you" to Kazehaya and it was Kurumi's jab at the end that help her realize this. In a way, one could even speculate that Kurumi waited till the end of the day to give Sawako a chance to hand her chocolates first.

In the end, I actually saw this scene as a test of sorts that Kurumi is putting for Sawako.
Old 2011-01-12, 07:38   Link #106
sunwen

I like evil Kurumi.
sunwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 07:49   Link #107
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Aaaah~ this is the chapter that made me start to dislike Sawako.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
This is a situation Sawako brought upon herself. She had plenty of chances to hand over the chocolates but failed to do so because of her lack of confidence.
Exactly. Kurumi isn't to blame for Sawako's social retardation. She was even considerate enough to wait until school was over and no one else was around (or so she thought) to hand over her chocolates to Kazehaya.

The one I feel really sorry for is Kazehaya. Everyone else, even freaking Pin, received chocolate from Sawako. That must hurt.
Old 2011-01-12, 08:55   Link #108
darktruth

Is it me or does Ryuu sleep in every single class?
darktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 09:14   Link #109
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktruth View Post
Is it me or does Ryuu sleep in every single class?
It's not you. He only wakes up when he's hungry. He doesn't give a fuck about school, his life is all about baseball and Chizuru. Best character in the series.
Old 2011-01-12, 09:20   Link #110
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's not you. He only wakes up when he's hungry. He doesn't give a fuck about school, his life is all about baseball and Chizuru. Best character in the series.
Yeah you keep telling yourself that.
Old 2011-01-12, 09:30   Link #111
darktruth

Well, I went ahead and pre-ordered the 1st volume DVD of the 2nd season just now. Just love this series so much that I'm probably gonna pre-order each volume several months in advance when they get listed (Sawako's beauty is too adorable lol, especially when she makes those funny faces!). Definitely gonna try and get the pin stand display that will be available through mail-in campaign.
darktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 11:21   Link #112
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Will You Be My Valentine?

Sawako certainly has grown a lot since the last time she was animated on-screen, but her self-confidence issues still manifest themselves from time to time. It cannot be denied though that she’s shown a lot of spine and courage as the first season winded down, and I suspect that for this episode, it stems from things much more than the lack of self-confidence but also her abject lack of social skills. For a story about someone who’s experiencing a lot of things for the first time in her life, these Valentine things are part of that list.

The biggest part of course would be with Shota. It’s pretty obvious that this is the first time she ends up wanting to give something special to someone equally as special, yet at the same time she has to handle feelings she’s never experienced. Furthermore is Shota’s reputation for turning down lots of girls and not really accepting any romantic approaches. It’s easy for us viewers and their friends to say that he’s being so obvious with his feelings for the world to see, but for Sawako she simply cannot pick up on the signs she really has no idea of. Part of season one, and yes of the early parts of the manga, was Sawako trying to figure out things she has never felt or experienced before. This growing feeling in her heart is no exception.

Watching this episode, I think it really confirmed my initial impression in the manga that a big part of her reluctance to give him the chocolate isn’t just because she can’t figure out what to do with these feelings, but because of Ume’s words that “he doesn’t accept that kind of chocolate”. She does, perhaps, have this belief that she doesn’t know the exact reason why she’s giving him chocolate, and doesn’t want to alienate Shota by giving him that kind of chocolate when she herself is unsure of her own reasons. Again, it’s so easy to say that she should give them because he will accept them, but we aren’t Sawako. She doesn’t know what he feels because she’s incapable of picking up on his cues. She doesn’t necessarily avoid giving him the chocolate just because she’s afraid, but because she thinks it is the right thing to do.
Old 2011-01-12, 11:38   Link #113
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

What's all this commotion about Sawako not giving the chocolate to him? She realized that giving it to him would be like a confession and she's too honest with him as well as with herself as to pretend they are just as a thanks.

Tbh I expect everyone that watched season 1 to know Sawako good enough as to see that she's not ready for a confession yet. In fact neither of the them is, both are still extremely insecure as to what the other feels for them. You shouldn't mix up what you know as an observer with what the characters can know at this point.
It'd be a shame if you guys all of a sudden became impatient with the pace.

edit: Seeing that Meotwister picked up some of the same key aspects I fully agree with his post
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 12:07   Link #114
karinvampire
Ka Ra Ku Ri

Great episode,I already read past this in the manga but it's great to see everything animated again.
karinvampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 12:39   Link #115
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post

Sawako was also lying to herself by saying that the chocolates were a simply "thank you" to Kazehaya and it was Kurumi's jab at the end that help her realize this. In a way, one could even speculate that Kurumi waited till the end of the day to give Sawako a chance to hand her chocolates first.

In the end, I actually saw this scene as a test of sorts that Kurumi is putting for Sawako.
I agree, it really isn't Ume's fault. Sadako didn't have enough confidence to give Kazehaya the chocolates until the end. Ume was just there to give that extra push at the end to make Sadako rethink her decission.

I'm starting to like both the OP and ED now. Still think the first season's OP and ED are better though.
Old 2011-01-12, 15:34   Link #116
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I counted five new S.E.N.S pieces. I'm pleased with that.

Kurumi's scene was the best part of the episode, and Miyano fits Kento perfectly. Good start!
Old 2011-01-12, 15:56   Link #117
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
Sawako had so many chances to give the chocolates to Kazehaya, I feel so bad for him. That must be such a huge slap in the face to see that everyone else got chocolates except for him, and he thought he was one of the most important people to her, it's only natural after everything that's happened between them. Wtf, Sawako. I mean, I do understand she's still socially awkward and has troubles gathering her courage, but damn man, the chances were right in her face, and she wasted time doing all these monologues when she could've given the chocolates to him, because the chocolates meant so much to both of them.
I don't dislike her exactly but sometimes she makes me rage. Ffff. Well, she can't regret it, because like said before, she brought it upon herself.
I'm in the minority with Kurumi > Sawako. Even if it's not the best way, she's always trying to push Sawako onwards, but to me. Sawako just doesn't budge.

EDIT;

I loved seeing Ayane and Chizu and Ruu and Pin back, though, aaah, and the flashbacks with Kazehaya when he was little with Pin were adorable <3
Midnight Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 16:22   Link #118
Stefkov

I'm sure in the manga there was a lot more of an emphasis on the whole 'obligatory or its something more' issue of the chocolate. I really enjoyed it despite it being quite a bit depressing even though it's the first episode.
I look forward to later on, it only gets better.
Stefkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 16:29   Link #119
Berlin

Poor Sawako....it def. was a sad moment to watch her give up! This def. was a sad way to start the season but I am sure things will get better!
Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 18:14   Link #120
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Will You Be My Valentine?

Sawako certainly has grown a lot since the last time she was animated on-screen, but her self-confidence issues still manifest themselves from time to time. It cannot be denied though that she’s shown a lot of spine and courage as the first season winded down, and I suspect that for this episode, it stems from things much more than the lack of self-confidence but also her abject lack of social skills. For a story about someone who’s experiencing a lot of things for the first time in her life, these Valentine things are part of that list.

The biggest part of course would be with Shota. It’s pretty obvious that this is the first time she ends up wanting to give something special to someone equally as special, yet at the same time she has to handle feelings she’s never experienced. Furthermore is Shota’s reputation for turning down lots of girls and not really accepting any romantic approaches. It’s easy for us viewers and their friends to say that he’s being so obvious with his feelings for the world to see, but for Sawako she simply cannot pick up on the signs she really has no idea of. Part of season one, and yes of the early parts of the manga, was Sawako trying to figure out things she has never felt or experienced before. This growing feeling in her heart is no exception.

Watching this episode, I think it really confirmed my initial impression in the manga that a big part of her reluctance to give him the chocolate isn’t just because she can’t figure out what to do with these feelings, but because of Ume’s words that “he doesn’t accept that kind of chocolate”. She does, perhaps, have this belief that she doesn’t know the exact reason why she’s giving him chocolate, and doesn’t want to alienate Shota by giving him that kind of chocolate when she herself is unsure of her own reasons. Again, it’s so easy to say that she should give them because he will accept them, but we aren’t Sawako. She doesn’t know what he feels because she’s incapable of picking up on his cues. She doesn’t necessarily avoid giving him the chocolate just because she’s afraid, but because she thinks it is the right thing to do.
To me, that scene with Kurumi is interesting because it mirrors their history and turns it around. Kurumi was dishonest because she was afraid of the consequences of openly going after him, while Sawako won him over by being herself. But for Valentine? Kurumi's honest (because she's already lost anyway) and thus successfully delivers her chocolates. While Sawako's being dishonest because she's afraid of the consequences of openly going after Kazehaya and thus fails to give hers. She knows damn well what her feelings are, even if she can't tell Kazehaya's. But she didn't dare give her chocolate for fear they'd be correctly interpreted and rejected.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, romance, school life, shoujo