AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 171 72.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 17.87%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 5.11%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 1.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.43%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 1.28%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-02-25, 04:19   Link #221
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well, I think that Madoka is by this point assured of Incubator not being innocent in any measure, so seeing him shot to pieces is only a case of spoiled milk. I think her mind became too occupied with Sayaka and to have Homura's sudden interruption to bother with Incubator's corpse too much.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 04:19   Link #222
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

@panzerfan

I see you're already here. I want to see your take on Sayaka's fatalistic approach and Homura's multiverse travels (consider it a continuation of that MWI discussion in the Clannad forums two years ago )
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 04:21   Link #223
yakuri-moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
The least she can do is to turn into the first Mahou Shoujo of the known kind and validate the title of this show Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. And from there on, force every show that ever wants to use the concept of MS will have to use the whole name Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. Because if the Madoka Magica part is omitted, we should automatically assume that such series is going to be about witches.
If it includes them ultimately falling into their own grief and despair I'm all for it.
yakuri-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 04:22   Link #224
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

The best part of this episode was Kyubey eating his own holey body like swiss cheese.
(Not holy, holey...)

The second best part was when Homura took out a grenade. Seriously, who was expecting that?

I notice that the weapons have been getting more advanced...
Kyoko - Sectional spear
Sayaka - Sword saber
Mami - Redcoat rifle
Homura - Guns and grenades
Madoka - LAZER BEAMZ O' DEATH
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 04:33   Link #225
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well, what I feel is a strong reminder of Ryokushi's scenario via Higurashi to be honest. IMW would apply here I suppose, but we'd be really going off tangent to discuss this here. If it were Ryokushi, he might attribute to miracle falling victim to certainty of despair to a lack of understanding/consensus of all the actors involved... and it would fall to Homura to somehow steer the ship to a better direction.

Sayaka's own approach seems to make her a tragic Greek heroine, whose fall is that of her own making. Ultimately, her approach was made on premature conclusions and she came to realize this at a point of no return. Perhaps the worst part about Sayaka's turmoils would be the impact that her rant will have no Madoka in trying to discern what she must do.

I was discussing with SpaceBrotha, AtomicX and Arkeus about how Kamijou and Hitomi being sent to the sacrificial altar. As strange as it is, I felt that Kamijou and Hitomi should not be butchered by the vices of Sayaka as it's now almost meaningless plot wise.

The final role for Hitomi and Kamijou would be to play a final clarification on what their stance on Sayaka have been, and based off of what Urobuchi Gen is known for, Kamijou and Hitomi have only the best of intention for Sayaka, with Sayaka completely misunderstanding the situation. A secondary role for Kamijou would be to see if hope and despair must coexist together, so essentially whether if he becomes crippled yet again following the demise of Sayaka would be paramount.

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2011-02-25, 04:39   Link #226
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Next up should be Kyoko. She won't be able to save Sayaka. Will she find redemption before her destruction? Not sure, but her death still leads to Homura fighting alone.

Sayaka does have a possible escape, though it may still lead to death. Hitomi's actions this episode now reinforces the possibility of her telling Kamijo about Sayaka's feeling for him. Kamijo may be Sayaka's out but may still only be a fatal out

The cycle theory also gained greater probablility. Madoka may simply be accumulating her previous MS power.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-02-25 at 04:47. Reason: For the last time, please drop it already!
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 04:43   Link #227
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

oh my god....

shock and awe.... it's just shock and awe.

everything was in sinc. Plot movement, bgm, Shaft's amazing directions and Urobuchi's zetsubou... This becomes the best anime Shaft ever made, and might as well become the best anime since 2009.

IN- KYUUBE - ITER
Old 2011-02-25, 04:48   Link #228
MartianMage

Just finished watching episode 8. Excellent development. Many questions answered and also still many info to wonder about. I'm interested to see what is "inkyubeytor" really plotting and what really happened between Homura and Madoka.

The animation is also superb in this episode. Gotta love the artistic touches Shaft used for this episode. Overall I'll give this another 9/10.

The preview... so I guess Kyoko dies next episode. x_X
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 04:48   Link #229
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Well, what I feel is a strong reminder of Ryokushi's scenario via Higurashi to be honest. IMW would apply here I suppose, but we'd be really going off tangent to discuss this here. If it were Ryokushi, he might attribute to miracle falling victim to certainty of despair to a lack of understanding and consensus of all the actors involved... and it would fall to Homura to somehow steer the ship to that direction.

Sayaka's own approach seems to make her a tragic Greek heroine, whose fall is that of her own making. Ultimately, her approach was made on premature conclusions and she came to realize this at a point of no return. Perhaps the worst part about Sayaka's turmoils would be the impact that her rant will have no Madoka in trying to discern what she must do.

I was discussing with SpaceBrotha, AtomicX and Arkeus about how Kamijou and Hitomi being sent to the sacrificial altar. As strange as it is, I felt that Kamijou and Hitomi should not be butchered by the vices of Sayaka as it's now almost meaningless plot wise.

The final role for Hitomi and Kamijou would be to play a final clarification on what their stance on Sayaka have been, and based off of what Urobuchi Gen is known for, Kamijou and Hitomi have only the best of intention for Sayaka, with Sayaka completely misunderstanding the situation. A secondary role for Kamijou would be to see if hope and despair must coexist together, so essentially whether if he becomes crippled yet again following the demise of Sayaka would be paramount.
Funny you brought up Greek Tragedy, because to some extent the show did very much remind me of a classic Greek Tragedy of nigh hopelessness. Sayaka for me would be like... say... Cassandra. Both were promised gifts which became cursed due to their own actions, watched everything they love collapse before them, and now left as mere broken shells of their former selves. At least Cassandra found salvation in death (sort of), but can we say that Sayaka will be that lucky?

I think the question for Sayaka now would be if she could even be redeemed at this point. Homura tried and failed, and we don't know of Madoka can do it. The idealist in me would say that she can, that this is her power, and breaking the cycle entails saving witches from their corruption. That is of course assuming we get such a story.

I'm trying to actually think of a Tragic Greek hero/ine who would fit Madoka nicely to some extent, but I haven't seriously read Greek mythology in 5 years.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2011-02-25 at 04:59.
Old 2011-02-25, 04:53   Link #230
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Where is present day Homura?? She's not born yet...lol. :P
hmmm.. i actually assumed that madoka is already homura's friend in the present timeline and there's just somesort of memory wipe. i thought of this since madoka must not show some signs of remembering her if she hadn't met her, eh??

anyhow, somebody pointed out that homura might be madoka's daughter in the future timeline. and that pink ray in her hand? isn't that madoka's color? might that be an indication of something. probably a hint of what relationship the two shared?
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 05:03   Link #231
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I've been thinking a bit about the scene where Homura gets away from Kyoko. Her shield/clock opens up to have two gems and it seems like power from at least one of those needs to reach the inner mechanism in order to activate a time stop. One gem kind of looks like the color of QB's eye... I think. The other is in the shadow so the color is indeterminable.

Homura was able to pop a grenade after her shield "opened." To stop time the two inner channels needed to fill with power. Previously when she used just the time stop I don't think her shield ever opened or showed open (going by episode 6), so opening might have to do with where or how she gets her weapons which, seeing as her gun and ammo casings didn't disappear, are probably real. Maybe she's got a tactical nuke in there for the Witches' Night?
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 05:10   Link #232
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

...That was certainly a giant improvement over last week.

Also, InKyubeytor has certainly reached the level of an eldritch horror....
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 05:12   Link #233
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Funny you brought up Greek Tragedy, because to some extent the show did very much remind me of a classic Greek Tragedy of nigh hopelessness. Sayaka for me would be like... say... Cassandra. Both were promised gifts which became cursed due to their own actions, watched everything they love collapse before them, and now left as mere broken shells of their former selves. At least Cassandra found salvation in death (sort of), but can we say that Sayaka will be that lucky?

I think the question for Sayaka now would be if she could even be redeemed at this point. Homura tried and failed, and we don't know of Madoka can do it. The idealist in me would say that she can, that this is her power, and breaking the cycle entails saving witches from their corruption. That is of course assuming we get such a story.

I'm trying to actually think of a Tragic Greek hero/ine who would fit Madoka nicely to some extent, but I haven't seriously read Greek mythology in 5 years.
I thought instinctively of Odysseus for some odd reason. She might have no parallel then again, because Madoka is Ume-sensei's protagonist. As for redemption of Sayaka, it rests on Madoka and whether if light is what's needed to combat darkness. I actually am highly sympathetic to Mentar, when he mentioned about Gen able to come to a sweeter leaning bittersweet end instead of a Pyrrhic end, but it is difficult for me personally to say which way things will fall at all.

Old 2011-02-25, 05:17   Link #234
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I for one would not prefer a KillEmAll End if it can be helped, but if we're going to get an end where Madoka is simply fighting a useless battle then I'd prefer hints of it rather than a sudden "oh shit" moment at the end.

Of course it's safe to conclude that if there's even one mention of a way for Madoka to save Sayaka, Madoka will likely achieve it, unless it's presented as a very real possibility and Urobuchi decides to twist the knife by deciding to make her fail at it.
Old 2011-02-25, 05:19   Link #235
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post

the pink gem might be future madoka's SG. LOL. ok, that might be a silly thought. XDD
Old 2011-02-25, 05:22   Link #236
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

If Madoka fails to save Sayaka, or having done so at unbelievable cost, it would be reminiscent of Faust being dissuaded by Mephistopheles to save Gretchen who he pities instead of love, or to Mephistopheles committing atrocity in the name of Faust and had to be reminded of the tragedy by care... it would be terribly consistent to Goethe's viewpoint should Urobuchi execute the situation as such.

Old 2011-02-25, 05:23   Link #237
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
On second thought, isn't anyone even slightly perturbed at the fact that while Madoka asked Homura calmly why she "killed" Inkyubeytor, after their emotional discussion Madoka seems to have forgotten the dead body beside her, the wish she was about to give it, and walked away to find Sayaka?
QB might've been the one behind it. why? i dunno yet. but it might be a part of his devious plan.
Old 2011-02-25, 05:25   Link #238
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
If Madoka fails to save Sayaka, or having done so at unbelievable cost, it would be reminiscent of Faust being dissuaded by Mephistopheles to save Gretchen who he pities instead of love, or to Mephistopheles committing atrocity in the name of Faust and had to be reminded of the tragedy by care... it would be terribly consistent to Goethe's viewpoint should Urobuchi execute the situation as such.
That's true but we still have Homura who, even if she could stand for Valentine, doesn't fit into the play entirely and could thus add to a different outcome that leaves us with a satisfying spark of light. And, Urobuchi might base things on Faust, but I assume he didn't just apply the entire play on the series so noticable differences are eventually a good possibility. Let's just stay optimistic!
Old 2011-02-25, 05:29   Link #239
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Perhaps the OP is showing the change from what would have happened to what is happening.

Last edited by FlavorOfLife; 2011-02-25 at 05:33. Reason: Never paid attention to the OP, it was like that since the start :p
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 05:36   Link #240
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
That's true but we still have Homura who, even if she could stand for Valentine, doesn't fit into the play entirely and could thus add to a different outcome that leaves us with a satisfying spark of light. And, Urobuchi might base things on Faust, but I assume he didn't just apply the entire play on the series so noticable differences are eventually a good possibility. Let's just stay optimistic!
But in the end she was saved in the second half (sort of) in a different plane of existence despite her imprisonment. I can't think of a good way to bail out Sayaka if this were a case, so it may as well deviate from there.

Again, who knows? Goethe's Faust was also a story of how heaven intervened and was in the end forgiving of the characters. For all we know there is no heaven here, and any and all salvation must come from the characters themselves.

Tags
madoka, mahou shoujo, puella magi, shaft, urobuchi gen, witches