AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 55 43.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 30.95%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 17.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 5.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.79%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-12, 18:06   Link #61
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
ugh no it isn't

'Less' is probably better than 'too much,' but 'less is more' just makes it sound like the subtler something is, the better it is, the end, no questions asked. Are stories always overwrought and melodramatic if the characters ever show any strong emotion? Do people never give strong displays of emotion in real life? I guess that Lancer's death would have been more powerful if instead of raging during his demise he just frowned and said "This sucks bro," or that the little boy in episode 2 that was brutally murdered by Caster should have (Rather than scream and wailed) sighed and calmly said "This is rather unpleasant old chap, could you kindly desist?"
Funny you mention that Caster scene, many of Caster's stuff work better when it's left to the imagination. For example the thing that Caster summoned that butchered the kid or what Caster and Ryunosuke did with the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
Well, ufotable put it where the it is in the novel so there's no complain about that.
I'm personally fine with the location, however just because it's that same location in the novel doesn't mean it should be adapted that way.

Last edited by Jarmel; 2012-05-12 at 18:16.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 18:07   Link #62
Doria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Again it was an example of overacting. You have to draw the line somewhere in regards to the character's mental state. Yes that was the most straining thing he's ever done emotionally however the dialogue was completely unnecessary and a way to remind viewers of what happened in the previous episode. It was the writers' way of saying, "Hey guys remember Shirley and remember him not being able to pull the trigger? Well here's a blaring reminder just for you if you forgot in the past episode. Oh and we need to make it perfectly clear that he's not shooting down the plane for no reason otherwise people might think he's a villain." This is one of those cases where you let the visuals do the work instead of having dialogue, that's one of the strengths of any visual medium compared to books.

I would rather see subtle body language instead of him giving a speech declaring his feelings.
I don't totally disagree, but I think the tenor of the entire flashback interlude has been inconsistent. A lot of that does have to do with the transition from novel to anime, as you say. However, as they've clearly committed to adapting this series faithfully to the point of being word-for-word in many sections, it's not surprising they kept the dialogue, too.

And for whoever posted above (as well as anyone else who was confused), yes this was straight from the opening interlude of volume 4. It is not from Heart of Freaks, which was essentially a side story showing him during his life with Natalia.

Anyhow, I thought the emotion was stronger in this half than the first, and all of it worked better for me than in the novel.

Edit: As for placement, they did actually move some events around. Kirei hadn't killed Tokiomi yet in the novels. However, I think this all makes a stronger thematic comparison between the two of them, with both having their fathers and father figures killed.

Last edited by Doria; 2012-05-12 at 18:09. Reason: addition
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 18:15   Link #63
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I don't know. I trust in Urobuchi Gen as the writer behind this, so if he thought that understanding Kiritsugu character was important enough to have the flashback placed just before the last spurt for the series then it must actually have some significance.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 19:08   Link #64
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
Well, ufotable put it where the it is in the novel so there's no complain about that.

For the episode, I think my signature said it best. I guess with his backstory done I can finally complete it.
Spoiler for Kiritsugu's description:
From what I've read from the comments in the forum, the book also goes extensively into personal monologue and stuff. I've been given the impression that we were suppose to care a lot more about Kiritsugu prior to this arc. His first emotional outburst came as a surprise to a lot of people, myself included. While the story is character driven, not a single person is given the protagonist title, and does a good job spreading the points of views across the board. I think he essentially takes up the mantle with these two episodes, where he was basically just a central figure prior to this point. I feel as though the anime is basically telling me: hey, here's your guy going into the last arc. The second OP and ED makes more sense in this regard, changing from the participants of the holy grail war down to mostly Kiritsugu.

... but I feel that it has come too late.

I agree with the sentiment that Kitsurugi's story should have been told before now, and now that I've thought about it, I feel like it would have been a very nice OVA or promo or something to promote the series before it airs. Kotomine Kirei's story has been a lot more prevalent, and we've been privy to a considerable amount of his thoughts before kiritsugu.

The arc itself is pretty good, but it just feels rather out of place. I feel like it's a lost in transition from different mediums.

Last edited by AvianWing; 2012-05-13 at 12:02.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 19:12   Link #65
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Wow. He sure didn't have a good life while growing up. Its awful to be in his shoes that's for sure.

The only bright side in this episode is that the flashback is over.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 19:15   Link #66
cookiekid16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
I don't think Kiritsugu's cry at the end is overdone at all. Imagine going through the pain of being forced to kill the one you love the most twice. I am glad that they show the emotional side of him. It contrasts well with the cold and almost emotionless man that we have seen for so many episodes. You probably won't see him showing such emotion again in future episodes.

It also highlights how his ideal of saving people is destroying him. A normal human would value those he personally cares for much higher than rest of the human race. But Kiritsugu, because of his ideal, forces himself to put his father and Natalia on the scale to weigh against all people equally. It means he has two scales in his mind, one that is natural and one that he artificially maintains for making the "right" decision, and he always picks the decision that is good for everyone else and bad for him. Eventually the imbalance will break him down mentally.
Agreed.

Also if you know about psychology - the way he handled the situation was pretty normal to me. Talking to Shirly - seemed normal as it brought up a main event in his life - that he'll never forget. The stress he had when he was a kid and regressing back would be normal. Someone that you are that emotionally connected to - even after death you'll still talk to them in private (even if you know they aren't there). Natalie is probably another person he'll think about from that point forward and possible have a thought about " did you see that kill.heh"

No one is open about talking to people that are dead. however it happens all the time - its a way to cope or say things you'll never get to say to those that have passed. Psychologists will role play with clients and say "now if i'm "so and so" (who died) what would you want to say to me".

I think if Kiritsugu was walking down the street talking to dead people - yeah he would need to end up in crazy persons home.

I thought it was well done. A hero with a backstory of chaos. No one said he was perfect and it's those elements that make a character more interesting.
cookiekid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 19:19   Link #67
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
Wow. He sure didn't have a good life while growing up. Its awful to be in his shoes that's for sure.

The only bright side in this episode is that the flashback is over.
there is a bright side to being the main character in a story written by Butcher Gen?
Old 2012-05-12, 19:37   Link #68
jorez
but the kid is not my son

Send a message via MSN to jorez
Sad. Such a life filled with despair must have been the worst way of growing up. Once again, Kajiura doing some crazy stuff in the soundtrack, really enjoyed the way she portrayed the climax scene.

shoutouts to Touko's cigarettes. I'm starting to like Kiritsugu more after this episode. This has shown me how fucked up his young life was. I would have gone crazy very easily.

jorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 19:40   Link #69
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorez View Post
Sad. Such a life filled with despair must have been the worst way of growing up. Once again, Kajiura doing some crazy stuff in the soundtrack, really enjoyed the way she portrayed the climax scene.

shoutouts to Touko's cigarettes. I'm starting to like Kiritsugu more after this episode. This has shown me how fucked up his young life was. I would have gone crazy very easily.
unfortunately for Kiritsugu he didn't go crazy, he remain sane. he would be a lot happier talking the wall in a psychiatric unit.
Old 2012-05-12, 19:45   Link #70
rpgman1

For Kiritsugu, he sure does live a messed up life anyway. He was trying to be heroic, but he ended up being like Natalia anyway. He seems to be cold and detached as he grew up, still looking for a way to end all wars.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 20:12   Link #71
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Now that's the real deal.. the proper backstory for Kiritsugu, the dialogue that he having with Natali was so heartbreaking considering the outcome.

And I don't mind the placing for this flashback arc like many does, considering this might be the last moment for "change of pace" before the climax part of the series.

I'd expecting the next complaint wave is about there is no room to breath with all of the battle, death, irony and twist for the last 7 episode. Hell even in these flashback episode, the mood not getting any brighter at all lol.
Old 2012-05-12, 20:23   Link #72
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
I shed manly tears at the ending. Superb episode and it concludes Kiritsugu's flashbacks nicely. Now that we know where his stance is in this war, more tragedies to come.
Old 2012-05-12, 20:50   Link #73
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Soooooo sad. He killed his father and his mother. I will have more to say after the sadness subsides.
Old 2012-05-12, 20:51   Link #74
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
From what I've read from the comments in the forum, the book also goes extensively into personal monologue and stuff. I've been given the impression that we were suppose to care a lot more about Kiritsugu prior to this arc. His first emotional outburst came as a surprise to a lot of people, myself included. While the story is character driven, not a single person is given the protagonist title, and does a good job spreading the points of views across the board. I think he essentially takes up the mantle with these two episodes, where he was basically just a central figure prior to this point. I feel as though the anime is basically telling me: hey, here's your guy going into the last arc. The second OP and ED makes more sense in this regard, changing from the participants of the holy grail war down to mostly Kitsurugi.
I actually looked up the first few chapters of the manga adaption the other night and with Kiritsugu and Kirei narrating their parts they were suddenly both a lot more sympathetic and I could see what the novel readers are getting at. I think it doesn't help that both of them have been characters that internalize a lot and that there's a good-sized cast to also focus on, even seeing just a couple of chapters from Kiritsugu's point of view made me sympathize with him a lot more, in a sense more than these two flashback episodes have done.

Last edited by wandering-dreamer; 2012-05-14 at 11:57.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 20:58   Link #75
Touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I don't know. I trust in Urobuchi Gen as the writer behind this, so if he thought that understanding Kiritsugu character was important enough to have the flashback placed just before the last spurt for the series then it must actually have some significance.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I'm pretty sure Kiritsugu was making excuses to himself, bringing up Sherry since it was his mistake to not kill her there and then that caused that tragedy on the island. We get to see earlier in the episode that he already linked this case with what happened with last weeks episode, so I don't think it was a bad way IMO.

Also, by the time he broke down and started crying, he was more of cursing himself for what what he had done ...
Pretty much this.

He sincerely believes he was doing the right thing, but it did not make it any less painful for him.

He was crying because he was torn between his ideal and his feelings.
Touko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 21:37   Link #76
Broskander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiekid16 View Post
Agreed.

Also if you know about psychology - the way he handled the situation was pretty normal to me. Talking to Shirly - seemed normal as it brought up a main event in his life - that he'll never forget. The stress he had when he was a kid and regressing back would be normal. Someone that you are that emotionally connected to - even after death you'll still talk to them in private (even if you know they aren't there). Natalie is probably another person he'll think about from that point forward and possible have a thought about " did you see that kill.heh"

No one is open about talking to people that are dead. however it happens all the time - its a way to cope or say things you'll never get to say to those that have passed. Psychologists will role play with clients and say "now if i'm "so and so" (who died) what would you want to say to me".

I think if Kiritsugu was walking down the street talking to dead people - yeah he would need to end up in crazy persons home.

I thought it was well done. A hero with a backstory of chaos. No one said he was perfect and it's those elements that make a character more interesting.
QFT. I like having a protagonist like Kiritsugu. You don't see characters like him much in anime, at least from my xp.
Broskander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 21:41   Link #77
Doria

Yeah, what people are saying about it being a little unclear for non-novel readers to tell that he was a main character makes sense. It's really hard to come at the anime without keeping the books in mind, if you've read them, since they influence your whole views of the characters.

And the anime does set up to be more of an ensemble piece. I think it's always been clear that the rivalry/animosity between Kirei and Kiritsugu would be a central point of the series, but beyond that, the opening parts didn't really tell me that Kiritsugu specifically would be anything like a "main character."

I'll be curious to see how people feel about this interlude after the entire series is over. I think it would be very difficult to finish it without including this material, but maybe other people will feel differently.

Like the last episode, I thought the editing was done really nicely, in terms of what you see at various point, referenced against the dialogue and such. But yeah, it's really tough for the anime to characterize both him and Kirei, as someone above posted. Both are so very internalizing; that's not to say they're the same--I think it's pretty clear that Kirei is a "blank" that's slowly being filled (with evil, ha ha), while Kiritsugu does have emotions, but suppresses them in favor of the bigger goal.

That said, as an anime viewer, there have been some episodes that were particularly Kiritsugu/Kirei-centric where it was just so uninvolving watching two essentially blank-faced characters operating totally on their own. Sometimes, I perversely think that Archer just wanted to see if he could find someone even more boring than Tokiomi, and then make him interesting... So in the end, these episodes helped to flesh out Kiritsugu somewhat, at least.
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 22:09   Link #78
Marik

It was really worth it to watch these two episodes. They told enough about Kiritsugu. The guy is very lonely and that really sucks. Kiritsugu lost his friend and family. Kirei lost his wife. They both have some things in common.
I like Iri and Saber, but I don't see Kiristugu as part of the team. He is just so isolated.
Anyway I'm looking forward to see when Kirei meets Kiristugu.

Spoiler:
Marik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 22:10   Link #79
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I wish we also had a flashback with Kirei and his wife.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 22:15   Link #80
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doria View Post
That said, as an anime viewer, there have been some episodes that were particularly Kiritsugu/Kirei-centric where it was just so uninvolving watching two essentially blank-faced characters operating totally on their own. Sometimes, I perversely think that Archer just wanted to see if he could find someone even more boring than Tokiomi, and then make him interesting... So in the end, these episodes helped to flesh out Kiritsugu somewhat, at least.
I see what you mean there. But as pre-quel of F/SN, the storytelling in F/Z has to assume the readers have interest in the two characters. They are the main focus of the F/Z series.

And IMO this is the right place to put the flashback in - right after Kiritsugu demonstrates how ruthlessly efficient he is at killing his enemies. The flashback is meant to show us how Kiritsugu became the twisted being that he is. And you can't do that without first showing how twisted he is.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote