AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2013-08-23, 09:25   Link #461
CBredbeard
Banned

Yang busts out her moves against bears, tying into her Goldilocks theme. Her freaking out of her hair was...a little much. In her trailer, there was quite a bit of build up to the moment when she exploded. She'd spent the last five minutes fighting for her life, even if she'd been enjoying it. Junior had just landed a few hits on her, which would greatly contribute to her being enraged. What's more, she had just destroyed his weapon, but the way he smiled like he'd won by grabbing a handful of hair sent her over the edge.

Even if she is sensitive and proud of her hair, it'd get pretty old fast if every time it were damaged she freaked out.

I'm a little disappointed that I was wrong about her glasses. I guess Yang was just going for style points and didn't plan on using the glasses when deciding on a partner. It would have worked, I thought. She could avoid eye-contact without inconveniencing herself. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

I'm worried about Blake. She doesn't say much and makes infrequent appearances. I'd hate to think they haven't put much thought into featuring her character or that there's other kinds of trouble behind the scenes.

Weiss falling back on her training during a tense situation doesn't mean she's weak or even inexperienced. A routine to help you focus and relax before engaging in a life or death battle is probably something alot of people do.

Ruby makes her first real screw up. Yes, she was rather careless falling into Weiss's luggage, but Weiss was the one that shook that bottle of dust. And while Ruby and Yang were making alot of noise, Yang was the one that started it. But here, she disappeared without a word and then charged into the line of fire. She was probably trying to impress Weiss, but she literally didn't look before she leaped. She also wanted to keep fighting in the middle of a forest fire, which is a really dumb thing to do since the terrain will keep changing and become increasingly hazardous.

I will say that it was nice to see Ruby get angry at Weiss. She's been really patient and aiming to please, so finally having a little outburst after the constant abuse was a healthy thing to do for her character and probably their relationship.

And you know what I think would actually impress Weiss at this point? Have it revealed that Ruby actually did read that pamphlet Something like "You actually READ the whole thing?" Because no one reads pamphlets and it'd show Ruby's sincerity if she did.

The more I look at Pyrrah the more I see she's kind of Greek in her design. A shield, a spear, her name. All we need is a scene with her, Jaune, and a well.

Concerning auras, I guess they needed to explain why people seemed to be able to take such big hits. Especially the dragon lady blocking .50 caliber rounds with her bare hand in the first episode or Weiss and Blake being injured and walking them off in their trailers. Not to mention Yang's burning aura.

I wonder if auras are different from person to person? Jaune seems to have a healing factor, but Weiss didn't seem to heal at all in her trailer. Or maybe she did and the blood simply remained on her face?

Ren's weapons don't seem to be very good for fighting monsters. He can't use the recoil and the bullets don't seem to be large enough to deal damage. They're also short range in nature. He seems very good at using his aura and his hands and body, so I suppose his weapons won't get in the way of his strengths, slow him down, but he really almost seems like he doesn't need them.
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 09:29   Link #462
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
1. Me too, but that may change by the end of the series.

2. Reckless? Stupid? Couldn't disagree more. Watching her fight in both the "Red Trailer" and episode 1, nothing about the way she was fighting was either reckless or stupid. Calm, cool, and calculated would be how I would describe her. The forest fire was due to the lack of control that Weiss has over her own powers.

3. We do know that Ruby would probably not have had much trouble, reckless or not, in dispensing with those monsters. Weiss looked like the proverbial fish out of water.

4. Killing monsters is not their "task", but they were forewarned by the professor to destroy everything they are opposed by. If Weiss hadn't set fire to the forest, Ruby could've dispatched the monsters so they wouldn't be a threat in the future.
2)Ruby has skills but she just improvise without thinking about next turn. If she bothered check situation before attacking she wouldn't get in Weiss line of attack (and forest wouldn't be set in fire in Weiss atempt not pierce right through her). That was neither calculating nor cool. Ruby in Red trailer was out of character, Monty himelf said that.

3) That's all true. Your point?

4) Monsters will be thread anyway, unless students cleanse whole forest, which obviously doesn't happen. Oz said destroy anything they are opposed OR they will be killed. Means if they have way to avoid being killed they don't need destroy them. As I noted before Grims was too busy think about pursue. They might be threat but not for Ruby and Weiss who are gone already.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 09:43   Link #463
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
2) Ruby in Red trailer was out of character, Monty himelf said that.
Reference, please?

As for the rest, no sense to continue debating opinions.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 09:50   Link #464
Tenzen12

Just check Podcasts and Twitter it was in one or other.
Old 2013-08-23, 09:59   Link #465
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Just check Podcasts and Twitter it was in one or other.
If you make outright claims of fact, you should be able to back them up, not merely send people somewhere else to check for themselves. I take it, then, that he actually did not say anything of the kind.
Old 2013-08-23, 10:13   Link #466
Tenzen12

Ok, it's up to you
Old 2013-08-23, 11:27   Link #467
wm4

If Weiss was more careful maybe she won't have used fire in the first place.
When she spends 15 seconds to lecture herself, maybe any other person
will just think that she isn't going to do anything, but yeah, they don't have
much co-operation afterall.

Aura.... it's like the show is more and more similar to Hunter x Huner.
wm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 12:48   Link #468
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm4 View Post
If Weiss was more careful maybe she won't have used fire in the first place.
When she spends 15 seconds to lecture herself, maybe any other person
will just think that she isn't going to do anything, but yeah, they don't have
much co-operation afterall.
Good points.

The lack of cooperation seems to me to fall mostly on Weiss's haughty attitude, looking down her nose at "the strongest child to sneak her way into Beacon." She just doesn't seem to want to give Ruby any credit for actually being able to get into the academy two years early. You would think that "the smartest girl in the school" would be able to figure out that, although two years younger than herself, Ruby must have a very high level of skill in order to be invited to come to the academy by the headmaster himself.
Old 2013-08-23, 13:19   Link #469
CBredbeard
Banned

But Ruby disappeared into thin air. Thinking that she was alone, Weiss assessed the situation and took action. And the decision to use fire doesn't mean she was going to use a fireball that would burn the terrain. She'd shown in her trailer that fire has alot of explosive power that doesn't cause burns, like Yang's punches.

If anyone is at fault, it's Ruby for not communicating with her partner at all.

I think we're going to see some nice contrast between Blang and Weuby in how their partnerships form.

I think it's kind of obvious that Blake was stalking Yang for a time. We saw her shadow run by while Yang was calling out for people. Why would she stay hidden from a fellow student? To see what they can do and she liked what she saw from Yang. She chose to reveal herself by killing the same kind of beast that Yang had just pummeled into nothing with far less effort and more subtly almost like she was declaring herself to be Yang's equal.

I think their partnership will be one that will gradually form around mutual respect of each other's abilities with a subtle rivalry in play as they make their way to their objective. Maybe they'll even keep score.

Weiss and Ruby on the other hand will simply have to learn to live with one another, hopefully without killing eachother in the process. They'll have to learn to not step on their partner's feet, there will be alot more trial and error as they bumble along, irritating eachother.
Old 2013-08-23, 21:49   Link #470
Child_of_Sierra

It is interesting to compare Blake and Ruby here:

Both came out suddenly to support an ally that did not know they were there.

Blake could have easily melee'd the bear just like Ruby or called out to Yang that she was going to help. Instead she killed the enemy from the back using the long range form of her weapon. This was important because it meant 0 chance that she would get caught by Yang's melee attack.

On the other hand, Ruby came in "between Weiss and the beowolf she was staring down".
It was the biggest risk among her choices. This is a world where most weapons have a long range form and she had no idea how Weiss' weapon works. Appearing suddenly in the most likely line of fire was a bad decision.

If Weiss needed any help it would be against the other wolves on her sides and back. That Ruby would tackle the one in the front in spite of the other targets around would have made her partner mad even if there was no forest fire.
Old 2013-08-23, 22:40   Link #471
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

+989897868687686876 for blake's smile just little scene but she so ............. UGHHH!!!
Old 2013-08-23, 23:24   Link #472
Tormenk

The duo fights did showcase what we can expect in the future. Yang is a seasoned fighter with a trigger but Blake knows how to handle herself and Yang when that happens.

As for Weiss and Ruby, well they were both right and wrong. Weiss could have been seen as hesitant but made the right call in backing off. Ruby did assist Weiss but didn't account for her partner's actions. It's rather likely Ruby is experienced in fighting monsters but not with other people.

To me both of them are just unsure how to handle other people. Ruby we have seen plenty of her circumstances, while Weiss comes off resembling Asuka from NGE in this regard. Strong and confident but lacks the tacit approach needed around new people.

I'm hoping the rest of the initiation would solve their issues in working with each other. They've only just started the mission anyway, plenty of room to develop this further quickly.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 00:30   Link #473
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
If you make outright claims of fact, you should be able to back them up, not merely send people somewhere else to check for themselves. I take it, then, that he actually did not say anything of the kind.

At RTX, Monty stated that the RWBY in the trailer was quite, "out of character", because at the time, there really wasn't a character. The trailer doesn't accurately portray her personality, and was more of a resume for her weapon.

Most people here don't lie over something silly like that. Please don't be so defensive.

Last edited by Calca; 2013-08-24 at 04:09.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 00:43   Link #474
Arkeus

Quote:
2)Ruby has skills but she just improvise without thinking about next turn. If she bothered check situation before attacking she wouldn't get in Weiss line of attack (and forest wouldn't be set in fire in Weiss atempt not pierce right through her). That was neither calculating nor cool. Ruby in Red trailer was out of character, Monty himelf said that.
No, he said that in the trailer they didn't yet have her character built, hence she was her 'weapon' then, and that's all. Later on, they built a character from what happened in the trailer.

So she wasn't "out of character", she "had her character built from the trailer".

Also, Ruby was obviously showing off there. To her, those monsters were weak as hell mooks, and so there was no danger whatsoever for either Weiss and herself, so she 'played', making a kind of 'Tag' game.

OTOH, Weiss actually needed to take this seriously, so was jarred by Ruby.

It's even worse as Ruby getting in Weiss' line of fire was actually just teasing from Ruby because that degree of attack couldn't do anything to Ruby at all anyway, but she didn't explain herself at all beforehand.

E.G, Ruby took this as a game because to her it IS a game, but to Weiss it was an actual fight.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 00:45   Link #475
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

It is true that, because then they fight their way we saw this fight and thus their arms, so that explains why we did not have to rely on the trailer for their personality (eg weiss)
Old 2013-08-24, 00:59   Link #476
CBredbeard
Banned

I guess Weiss hasn't won any friends. Even when she's right, people don't give her any credit.
Old 2013-08-24, 15:37   Link #477
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
No, he said that in the trailer they didn't yet have her character built, hence she was her 'weapon' then, and that's all. Later on, they built a character from what happened in the trailer.

So she wasn't "out of character", she "had her character built from the trailer".

Also, Ruby was obviously showing off there. To her, those monsters were weak as hell mooks, and so there was no danger whatsoever for either Weiss and herself, so she 'played', making a kind of 'Tag' game.

OTOH, Weiss actually needed to take this seriously, so was jarred by Ruby.

It's even worse as Ruby getting in Weiss' line of fire was actually just teasing from Ruby because that degree of attack couldn't do anything to Ruby at all anyway, but she didn't explain herself at all beforehand.

E.G, Ruby took this as a game because to her it IS a game, but to Weiss it was an actual fight.
Ruby character is clearly different compared in trailer, so is Weiss. Actualy I don't see anything in this post that would be evidence based (with exception of understimating Grims, that one you have right).
Old 2013-08-24, 16:11   Link #478
Arkeus

Quote:
Ruby character is clearly different compared in trailer, so is Weiss. Actualy I don't see anything in this post that would be evidence based (with exception of understimating Grims, that one you have right).
Huh...neither character are 'different' based on the trailer, in fact they are pretty much the same.

The 'evidence' about what i said was Ruby flat out going 'it wouldn't have done anything' when Weiss says she could have hurt her, as well as Weiss complaining that 'she was in the line of fire' when actually she was doing nothing that one could really see before Ruby arrived, but got very uptight about it.

Her inner thoughts pretty much showed 'this is dangerous', not "hey, punching balls" like ruby did.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 18:24   Link #479
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
Huh...neither character are 'different' based on the trailer, in fact they are pretty much the same.

The 'evidence' about what i said was Ruby flat out going 'it wouldn't have done anything' when Weiss says she could have hurt her, as well as Weiss complaining that 'she was in the line of fire' when actually she was doing nothing that one could really see before Ruby arrived, but got very uptight about it.

Her inner thoughts pretty much showed 'this is dangerous', not "hey, punching balls" like ruby did.
Ruby kept herself hidden from her partner and made no effort to communicate with her for no reason whatsoever other than to show off. Weiss was clearly assuming a fighting stance. Even if you were to think that she froze up, it's reckless to attack the one that she was directly facing since that one would be least threatening of all.

As for Ruby saying that Weiss's attack wouldn't have done anything, that was clearly an insult, no more grounded in reality than the barbs that Weiss directed at Ruby in earlier episodes. In short, she's stooped to Weiss's level.

You know, it occurs to me that Blake...would be an AWESOME partner. She's already used to team fighting with Adam and doesn't seem to have much of an ego. She'd be perfectly comfortable with following someone else's lead, especially a hot head like Yang who doesn't know the meaning of the word restraint.

Those two are going to be AMAZING together.
Old 2013-08-24, 20:05   Link #480
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
And MMD remark is that ridiculous, there is realy no need say more than that.
Not saying the RWBY the quality is bad. Also MMD does make some pretty amazing stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDBGvYq4I-0 which also looks pretty amazing.

Last edited by Leo_Otaku; 2013-08-24 at 21:43.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby