Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-07-10, 11:49   Link #901
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
See while most people can only come up with 1-2 interpretations of what happens to the main characters at the end, I have read and watched enough stories that I can come up with 100 interpretations. It's not that I want to come up with 100 interpretations, they just pop up. All of them are likely to happen or have a high chance of happening. I want Shinkai to tell me which one of those 100 is the right one. I'm curious to which interpretation I come up with is correct.
But I thought you were right all the time. Oh well.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 11:54   Link #902
Nervous Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy
What happens to Akari after she got married. What happens to Takaki if he did move on.
It's a movie though. It would be stretching it longer than it should have been to have them give us the whole 411 on their lives, and quite frankly, I'd enjoy it less that way. Although I'm also beginning to think open-ended endings are becoming cliche (and in some cases, downright lazy) I kind of just figured the song tells it all in the end. imo the movie isn't really telling us to move on, but that it's trying to explain to us that while we are trying to move on with our lives, a part of us will always be stuck in the past, and that's why, while Takaki can date other girls, a part of him still searches out for Akari.

But then again that's just 1 interpretation out of 100
Nervous Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 12:11   Link #903
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
It's a movie though. It would be stretching it longer than it should have been to have them give us the whole 411 on their lives, and quite frankly, I'd enjoy it less that way. Although I'm also beginning to think open-ended endings are becoming cliche (and in some cases, downright lazy) I kind of just figured the song tells it all in the end. imo the movie isn't really telling us to move on, but that it's trying to explain to us that while we are trying to move on with our lives, a part of us will always be stuck in the past, and that's why, while Takaki can date other girls, a part of him still searches out for Akari.

But then again that's just 1 interpretation out of 100
You don't know whether you will enjoy it less or not. You haven't tried the product yet so you should wait before you judge it. There is a possibility that you will enjoy it less but there is also a possibility that you will like the story more. After all, it is shinkai, if he continues it, we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's like ice cream. Some people love it. They enjoy it all the time. One dude suggested to create fried ice cream. People will be like WTH is that, that can't be good. People then try Japanese fried ice cream and they enjoyed the ice cream even more.

One of my interpretations of this movie is that life is like a sakura petal. It's a metaphor of life realistically. You are born in this world which is the sakura tree. You meet other people (petals) in the tree like your neighbors, classmates, etc. It is either by fate or by coincidence. Sakura petal falls at 5 cm/sec which is basically just a metaphor of time to me. So as you fall down or travel the road of life, you meet other petals also. But at the end or in the ground, you just don't know who you will end up with, who will be there, or who will be waiting.

So as you can see, in this interpretation, Takaki still has chance. Since life have happy endings also. But the chance for this is really very slim which is why I'm rooting for it.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 12:32   Link #904
Nervous Venus

Quote:
You don't know whether you will enjoy it less or not. You haven't tried the product yet so you should wait before you judge it.
Not sure what you mean. I've seen the movie already. I just don't remember much about it since I had crammed my brain full of other goodies in the interval between then and now.

Quote:
Sakura petal falls at 5 cm/sec which is basically just a metaphor of time to me.
I'm pretty dumb, lol. I never really understood the metaphor, except the line when Takaki speaks about his heart never moving 5 cm closer his girlfriend, that sort of conjured up images of those cherry blossom petals falling.
Old 2008-07-10, 12:43   Link #905
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
Not sure what you mean. I've seen the movie already. I just don't remember much about it since I had crammed my brain full of other goodies in the interval between then and now.

I'm pretty dumb, lol. I never really understood the metaphor, except the line when Takaki speaks about his heart never moving 5 cm closer his girlfriend, that sort of conjured up images of those cherry blossom petals falling.
I mean if they continue the story, you won't know whether you will enjoy it less or not until you see it
The metaphor is just 1 of my interpretation. It doesn't mean it's what the movie is about. Your interpretation could be right, and I could be wrong or we both could be right. No one really knows.

He said something like "although we could exchange 1 thousand emails, our hearts will never even get 1 cm closer". Something like that. Takaki tried to move on so he got new girlfriends but his heart still longs for Akari. So that's why he said that.

He exchanged a few letters with Akari and they fell in love together. Both of their hearts became closer and closer each letter. So when their hearts could become 1 and they could end up with each other with just 1 more exchange of letters, those letters never got exchanged. So the last time Takaki saw Akari was when they said good bye in the train station. They never met each other again. Some say that Akari was the person Takaki met at the xroads in the end but we can't know that for certain.

So it is different with his new girlfriend. Their hearts could never become closer even if they keep exchanging letters.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzzy; 2008-07-10 at 13:00.
Old 2008-07-10, 21:22   Link #906
Z3120

Quote:
You know, if you don't know what we are talking about, you shouldn't butt in. You are making assumptions and putting words in my mouth. When I said "sad ending" I was pointing at the movie ending. When I said, the ending was open, I was talking about the story. The movie may have ended there but the story is still hanging and doesn't have a conclusion yet.
I did understand what you meant. I still say there can be a broad range of interpretations to both the ending of the movie and the conclusion of the story. I do understand that. But why admit the movie's ending could be interpreted openly instead of simply saying specifically it's limited to a happy one. If you were so sure it was not a sad one, couldn't you have openly admittedly and said exactly that instead of leaving a false impression you're open to the idea yet decline the thought of sadness in the ending? What's so hard about accepting the possibility of sadness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
See I was talking to person B. It's an A and B conversation. You are person C. Then you read a reply and butt in but you don't know what we were talking about. Do you always do that? That's a bad habit... you should get rid of it. You are trying to force yourself into a conversation but you don't know what we are talking about. If you want to do that then at least know what is going on then I don't have to waste my time explaining stuff.

So as you can see, at the end, I'm still right. If a person is right, there is no arrogance there. Only truth. If people find the truth too bright then they should close their eyes and be blind.
Perhaps I'm an intrusion.

But all I see are some forceful, self-assertions on what you think is "correct" or "right"; opinions presented as absolute fact rather than you at least attempting to respect the possibility of other alternatives or explain yourself well. How is it you've come to such a conclusion and seemingly contradict yourself at the same time?

For example, in a response to Guardian Enzo, you've said

Quote:
No matter how you look at it, it's not really a sad ending. Maybe it's a sad story but the ending is by no means sad. Even if you say they both moved on, that's a good ending since both characters lived, there were no tragedies, and they lead a happy life afterward. While it's not a fairy tale happy ending, it's definitely not a sad one.
yet in response to several posters including me

Quote:
I'm pretty sure, that's what I've been saying all through out the thread. The movie's ending is open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin
No, what you mean is "they" as in people who have a differing opinion to your own.
I'm always right in the end so that's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3120
Yeah, I would say B5CM is a bittersweet ending (not intent to watch his previous movies at the moment). Not happy nor sad, just a purely bittersweet ending imo.
He said "his movies". Not just 5cm. We all know the story of all his movies ended in a happy ending except 5cm.

BUT TY for everyone although I know it wasn't your intention but you guys just back me up on what I'm trying to say all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3120
I could say for Takaki and Akari to not have been able to grow up together qualifies as a tragedy. Quite saddening considering that the bond they forged while they were youngsters is succumbed to influences beyond their control. It wasn't enough to make me cry, but it felt painful in a mental sense.
I did say it was a sad story and not a sad ending.
So how is it you can agree there lies the potential for such a broad range of interpretations yet adamantly deny a sad ending? You seem reluctant to admit any form of sadness in the ending could have taken place just because you "obviously" see it's there and find no need to explain what you so plainly see.

If I'm misunderstanding you, then explain. Or am I a nuisance because I'm asking a question why you think such is so? All the most you've done to refute me is by saying you're in the right or I shouldn't butt in. Well, fine. If you want to ignore me, so be it.

And if all you're doing is referencing your opinion as fact as an ultimatum of absolute righteousness as a flawless argument like you've been doing in your last several statements when questioned, then I won't bother to take this discussion any further. As simple as that. But because I think there's merit in understanding why you've taken such an perspective on B5CM so definite "sad story possibility, but completely not a sad ending" approach, you probably have a damn good reason it sounds; but you seem so nonchalantly interested to defend your point.

I just thought it was amusing how you've reached such an absolute verdict on your behalf when the very questions asked and surrounding B5CM could equally weigh more or less on either side of the argument spectrum. At least, that's how I view the opinions of B5CM. Equally valuable.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions indeed. But that attitude you have and how you've presented yourself so far isn't really helping me understand your position.

So is it wrong for me to question and try to understand?

Last edited by Z3120; 2008-07-10 at 22:03.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 16:50   Link #907
FuzzyWuzzy

Ok I tell you what.... tell me then.
So tell me, what's so sad about the ending? You have said so much and you haven't given any reason why it is sad. If you give a good reason then I'll think about it. How can I admit that the ending is sad when I can't find any reason why it's sad. I think the story is sad but the movie ending isn't.

I'm pretty sure I remember when I read the back of the dvd that it's a story about two people drifting away from each other. I thought the story was sad cause shinkai made it so that they are perfect for each other but also made it so that they will drift away from each other.

At the end of the movie, he was smiling and Akari is getting married and she is smiling also. So what's so sad about those things?
Old 2008-07-11, 18:08   Link #908
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

ADV discontinued this title today.

I wonder if they lost the license

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 18:36   Link #909
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post

I hope not, but if there is no official announcement I wouldn't worry too much.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 01:20   Link #910
cheung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post

Haha, it never even came out in the UK. Consider yourself lucky to even get a DVD of it.
cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 03:01   Link #911
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If you check over in the General Anime forum.. .ADV is spurt-bleeding titles. Many are being picked up by Funimation. I suspect 5cm/s is classy enough that someone will acquire it.
Old 2008-07-12, 06:50   Link #912
Z3120

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
Ok I tell you what.... tell me then.
So tell me, what's so sad about the ending? You have said so much and you haven't given any reason why it is sad. If you give a good reason then I'll think about it. How can I admit that the ending is sad when I can't find any reason why it's sad. I think the story is sad but the movie ending isn't.

I'm pretty sure I remember when I read the back of the dvd that it's a story about two people drifting away from each other. I thought the story was sad cause shinkai made it so that they are perfect for each other but also made it so that they will drift away from each other.

At the end of the movie, he was smiling and Akari is getting married and she is smiling also. So what's so sad about those things?
Only watched B5CM two times so if there are things I overlooked or forgotten, let me know.

But anyway, the tone of the movie's ending depends how one interpreted Takaki's smile and what it was for or meant, right? To me, there could very well be a multitude of things of what that smile symbolizes because where Takaki ends up in life is still shrouded in mystery by how we translate that smile. You're right. The movie ended but the story continues in a sense. What I'm most importantly concerned about is how we've come to the answer deduced on what changed inside Takaki at the railroad crossing at the end and how we define and determine that answer. Through our perspective on life, the experience we've gained from something similar, lessons we've learned, deja vu - whatever it is - if you agree such a broad range of interpretations is possible and can be uniquely answered by our passions, yet only limit the ending to a mood of happiness as a definitive, I could not see reasonably how considering the complexity of love.

So here's how I derived my answer.

I cared for Takaki and felt sympathetic to his sudden realization of what he fully understood when the moment his lips and Akari's touched. The swell of knowledge and comprehension he came in possession of, only to briefly realize time is endlessly counting and so is the distance they are growing apart from one another soon after that night. What made this particular moment so gut-wrenching to me was 3 scenes; 1) Takaki's anguish and remorse for how he replied back to Akari on the phone, 2) When Takaki's letter flew out into the raging blizzard, and 3) Takaki and Akari's heart-warming meeting at the train station. Not only that, but personally, to finally achieve the mentality of completely understanding the unnamed responsibilities placed and burdened upon me and my shoulders to carry yet having the misfortune of knowing time cannot be altered to relive those memories, is such a sad fate to encounter. "It's only when it's too late you feel the consequences of your actions" is a saying I recall; and hence, why I felt so compassionate towards Takaki's revelation and wholeheartedly understood the anxiety associated with what life choices are to be made and done. A bad life comparison, maybe so. Maybe so.

Let me see if I could say this more clearly. Have you ever lived in a moment where you absolutely understood the ramifications of your situation and surroundings yet bare small traces of time to only do so much you couldn't possibly imagine what to do except casually flow in the stream of time? Hard to explain what I'm getting at here, lol.

Sorry if this seems as a bad habit, but your response to Nervous Venus reminded me of what I've come to understand about Takaki and Akari's relationship.

Quote:
He exchanged a few letters with Akari and they fell in love together. Both of their hearts became closer and closer each letter. So when their hearts could become 1 and they could end up with each other with just 1 more exchange of letters, those letters never got exchanged. So the last time Takaki saw Akari was when they said good bye in the train station. They never met each other again. Some say that Akari was the person Takaki met at the xroads in the end but we can't know that for certain.
I always felt Takaki and Akari were already in love after their elementary graduation, but it didn't occur to them what love was or that they were in love. Quite frankly, I'd be surprised if such youngsters in general could know of what love is and what it felt like at such an early age. The exchange of letters, while indeed more than capable of deepening, shaping and strengthening their bond/love, I thought their feelings were already developed before the letters started. The type of conversation flowing from Akari's letters (the ones we hear her speaking) felt casual to me, and perhaps, from what I assume, the norm sort of things they might have usually chitchatted about at school. They seemed naturally inclined to keep in contact and to communicate with each other unbeknownst to them exactly why or beyond the reason of friendship until they finally kissed.

When Takaki became consciously aware of what all those experiences amounted to between them for those 13 years, I thought then and there they had confirmed what love was to them. Once Takaki finally kissed Akari, he came to conceive the inevitable truth laid before them. Just what shall he do with these feelings and the long distance future? Previously, my first impression after watching B5CM was Takaki wanted to protect both their fates to what was to come and chose not to take it further. And I think I still believe this. But, had either one had given a letter, I can optimistically see how it could work or end in futile. The point was, neither did give their letter, and it comes down to be a regrettable decision Takaki lives with. If he had his letter, I adamantly believe he would have given his.

Why else would letters be needed, but really, required? Language is such a fickle thing. You ever heard of the saying there are two types of a language? Speaking and writing; and I agree with those sentiments. The difference between a well-written paper and a casual conversation is amazing. Don't you find it amazing how we can clearly express ourselves in one form over another or vice versa even? (There might have been a 3rd one, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say, lol) When Takaki and Akari had written their letters, but Takaki's vanished into the icy breeze, it painfully felt like his efforts were frozen at a standstill. The difficulties of being able to muster the courage to speak in detail or close to the extent of his affection like in his letter - this unknown feeling - he had written was nearly unbearable for me to take. And when they finally met at the train station, I don't think you could fathom how glad I was to see them share such mutual feelings because it brought to my attention the reality of their childhood; they truly cared for each other.

Within the context of the movie (excluding what's told and expanded upon the novel from what I hear, which I have no idea of and about), there's 1 specific scene in the 3rd story of the movie that stood out to me where Takaki and Akari were on a balcony, each looking at the palm of their hand. Akari had a ring that signified her engagement and new future while Takaki aimlessly stares at the immovable buildings of the city, carelessly smoking a cigarette, clenching his hand closed and grasped at nothing. Have you ever had that feeling of following something blindly yet you can't physically sense you've obtained anything at all? Constantly absorbed in work, spending time alone and drinking yet still feeling empty inside as though you haven't achieved that special intangible quality in your life. Living with regret throughout life is sad not because you question yourself always for what you've done and could have done, but because it feels like an endless discovery into space trying to replace an irreplaceable thing, tangible or not.

Alright, I'm really tired so I'm just gonna cut my last response short.

The ending appeared bittersweet to me before the ending credits appeared and than the music that followed and played made me sad at the reality of things we may constantly ponder over to doubt or regret certain actions in the past. Live in the past, forsake the past or continue on with the past, what is the proper way to live forward to the future? By using our past experience, we can learn to reach new heights and avoid common mistakes we already suffered from. Yet, is the better method to become a clean slate and refresh our vitality. Such questions I had but so little capacity of mind to answer at the moment. The past could very well be like that smudge of odd looking blackness contrasting itself vividly on a plain, white wall. Do you choose to ignore it, acknowledge it's presence or a mixture of both?

I'm not really going to elaborate my life story, so as vague as it is (and I know it is b/c I'm darn tired, lol), let's just say I thought Takaki accepted for what he had done, which was not to proceed further with Akari, but that's if you buy my old, straw reaching thesis Takaki had the conscious of mind to act maturely do so and follow his actions. My old post indicates my original first impression (and when I didn't get any translations at all on those e-mails).

Tired.
Old 2008-07-12, 07:39   Link #913
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Look, people, it's a matter of opinion whether it's a sad ending or happy ending. I'm sure everyone can find plot evidence to support his personal opinion either way. Let's just agree to disagree and stop this childish bickering.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-12, 09:40   Link #914
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

But didn't you know FuzzyWuzzy is always right?

Old 2008-07-13, 01:51   Link #915
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aieee..... it is a "bittersweet" ending wherein happy and sad co-mingle... much like real life isn't binary either.
Old 2008-07-13, 02:11   Link #916
Z3120

@FuzzyWuzzy

What a mess I submitted. But now that I have some free time, I can now sum up what I was trying to say late, last night (felt like a double hangover).

The point was and still, Takaki’s smile could mean many things. What I was trying to get across was based on our interpretation of his smile, our thoughts to the conclusion of the ending, happy or sad, could be viewed differently. The one obvious question posed to me at the ending was if you felt sad at the fact Takaki and Akari would not/could not/should not meet again. I for one felt sad by this ambiguity presented at this ending. I suppose the sadness of the ending depended on the answers I was looking for or the lack of a conclusion. Can’t really say wholeheartedly which it was or even manifest those prior thoughts on what I felt from my first impression. Maybe, I cared too much for Takaki or felt a painstakingly semblance to something similar or completely unrelated as a matter of fact (and wouldn’t be surprised); whatever it was, I felt emotionally attached to Takaki. So because of what happened to Takaki, I felt saddened. Whether I cried or not, I’ll leave that for you to discern.

A poorly written explanation it was (indeed) and I somewhat regret the mistakenly submitted. Now that I think about it, writing what occurred in my mind and trying to present that rant in a sensible form was hard. I don’t even think 90% of it was really needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf
Let's just agree to disagree and stop this childish bickering.
Not even sure myself why it was felt inclined to do so. Childish bickering eh? That could very well be it. I'll stop then.
Old 2008-07-13, 23:10   Link #917
Nervous Venus

I didn't think it was childish bickering at all. I actually thought your posts were pretty insightful. But that in itself is just personal opinion.
Old 2008-07-16, 16:15   Link #918
FuzzyWuzzy

Takaki is the main character. No one can say for certain whether he ended up with Akari or not. No one can say for certain whether the story ended with a happy ending or sad ending since it's left open. We can come up with 10 million different scenarios on what happens to them after the movie.

However, people can say with 100% accuracy and certainty whether the movie ended with a happy ending or a sad ending or inspiring or even bittersweet. The movie had an ending. So we have information and from that information we can write a conclusion without speculation. We do not have information about what happens between both of them after the movie but we have information on the movie ending since we all get to see it. While the story is left open, the movie in itself had an ending and from that ending we can conclude whether or not it was sad, happy or whatever. I hope I made that clear.

Now I will explain why the movie ending was never sad. If you guys or girls truly understood Takaki's character then you will see that from chapter 2 and so forth, he is plagued by a psychological disease. He never got rid of this plague till the end where he decided to move on which is confirmed in the novel. So I will put it in layman's terms. Takaki was in deep despair and it not only affected him but also the people close to him. He never found salvation or a glimpse of hope till the end where he decided to move on. So for Takaki, just being able to defeat his own demons or rise up from the bottom of the barrel is in itself a happy ending.

Now I will explain to you guys why the movie ending was never bitter sweet. To put it simply, it's magic. Magic made it bittersweet. Shinkai made magic to happen. To be more precise, he performed a simple magic trick. Shinkai, made the two characters perfect for each other. He built it up and built it up some more all through out the movie. In the end, when you guys didn't see them ending up together, your mind played a big suggestion to you guys which is that they didn't end up together. It's like a magic trick, when see a magician perform, our mind does suggest magic. Anyway, we really don't know whether they end up together or not since the story is left open and even Shinkai admitted that there should be more to the story. So the power of suggestion suggests that they never ended with each other but the things is, we really don't know that. However it's too late. We were already amazed by the magic to believe it is anything else. Our mind at that time is already enjoying and entertaining that possibility. So while the truth is that the magician was never floating in the air, walking in the air or flying, he was being held be a thin wire. The truth is also the same with 5cm which is it was never bittersweet. It was all smoke and mirrors. The mind just suggested it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3120 View Post

I always felt Takaki and Akari were already in love after their elementary graduation, but it didn't occur to them what love was or that they were in love. Quite frankly, I'd be surprised if such youngsters in general could know of what love is and what it felt like at such an early age. The exchange of letters, while indeed more than capable of deepening, shaping and strengthening their bond/love, I thought their feelings were already developed before the letters started. The type of conversation flowing from Akari's letters (the ones we hear her speaking) felt casual to me, and perhaps, from what I assume, the norm sort of things they might have usually chitchatted about at school. They seemed naturally inclined to keep in contact and to communicate with each other unbeknownst to them exactly why or beyond the reason of friendship until they finally kissed.
That is your interpretation. It's not concrete which is why I just said their hearts are getting closer by each letter. It's possible that they are already in love while they are in school and it's also possible they were in love the first time they talk or set their eyes on each other. But it is also possible that they aren't.

There is however no doubt that with each letter and each time they talked to each other when they got separated, the bond they share became deeper or a lot stronger even if they were already in love and didn't realize it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
But didn't you know FuzzyWuzzy is always right?
Maybe they didn't know but I'm glad that you know and can actually admit it in public.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzzy; 2008-07-16 at 17:11.
Old 2008-07-16, 18:18   Link #919
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You're making quite a number of assertions as if they were fact when they are actually just your own interpretation of the evidence. I hate to ruin your tidy day but the real world is a lot murkier than you seem to think and you don't have any special 1:1 correspondence between the models in your brain and reality. That post is just a posterchild piece of evidence that you mistakenly think your views are "concrete" (level 1) while everyone else's are "interpretation" (level 2). You make a lot interesting observations but people are starting to discount you because of that attitude.

Carry on in your little fantasies though

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-07-16 at 18:36.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 19:13   Link #920
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Maybe they didn't know but I'm glad that you know and can actually admit it in public.
Of course! How could I not admit it in front of such a high authority? I'd be ashamed not to!

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai