AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-06-21, 12:07   Link #41
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Hahahaha, oh no no no, both sides of the pacific do put on voices for games and anime. Funnily enough you should mention Eternal Sonata though which Aya Hirano who is legendary for making her voice sound as child appealing as possible. I mean they even gave her her own kids show segment because of it in Moegaku *5. Rie Kugimiya's real voice is nowhere near anything you'd here from her in an anime or game and neither is Kappei Yamaguchi's for example.
No, that other Japanese voice actor who played the part of Ana Coppola from Ichigo Mashimaro is known for her high pitched and young voice. Aya Hirano was always famous for her put on posh accent which she could do since she was about 7 years old. Which is why she was cast as Lumiere from Kiddy Grade. Although, yes she can put on an amazing young girls voice. (Best voice-actor ever!! ^^)

Also you got the wrong impression of my post. Aya Hirano HAD to put on a younger girls voice as Polka was only 14 years old or whatever and it just made it more realistic as a teenaged girl with a 30 year old womans voice would just be wierd. Can you imagine Polka with Haruhi's voice? Also the only thing she did was higher the pitch of her voice, that is all. She did not act stupid in doing so by putting on some idiotic tone like most western voice-actors do.

What I meant when I said "put on" was just their voices in general when they are casted as a character even the same age as them. They just make themselves sound stupid or more comical...which is not cool may I add. I did not mean putting on a voice for someone in a younger generation, because let us face it, I have never met a 2 year old voice actor to play the part of, let's say, that toddler from "Puni Puni Poemy".
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 14:00   Link #42
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post
No, that other Japanese voice actor who played the part of Ana Coppola from Ichigo Mashimaro is known for her high pitched and young voice. Aya Hirano was always famous for her put on posh accent which she could do since she was about 7 years old. Which is why she was cast as Lumiere from Kiddy Grade. Although, yes she can put on an amazing young girls voice. (Best voice-actor ever!! ^^)

Also you got the wrong impression of my post. Aya Hirano HAD to put on a younger girls voice as Polka was only 14 years old or whatever and it just made it more realistic as a teenaged girl with a 30 year old womans voice would just be wierd. Can you imagine Polka with Haruhi's voice? Also the only thing she did was higher the pitch of her voice, that is all. She did not act stupid in doing so by putting on some idiotic tone like most western voice-actors do.

What I meant when I said "put on" was just their voices in general when they are casted as a character even the same age as them. They just make themselves sound stupid or more comical...which is not cool may I add. I did not mean putting on a voice for someone in a younger generation, because let us face it, I have never met a 2 year old voice actor to play the part of, let's say, that toddler from "Puni Puni Poemy".
You have a lot to learn about voice actors including apparently your own favourite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Actually, I would disagree making the battles tedious. For me, it's the mindless battles where you do the same thing over and over because the enemies don't pose any sort of threat to you that makes non-boss battles so boring. With the enemies able to down a character if he/she gets ganged on, remembering which way is the easier way to down the enemies, and conserving on using ones skills a bit in order not to easily die, at the very least SO3's battle system kept people on their toes. Then again, I always love a challenge, so YMMV.
Refine Boots of Prowess and Orichalcum to any weapon a few times and watch that challenge go down the drain. That's just one of the problems with the whole balance of the game and the item creation system.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 14:25   Link #43
rg4619

Japanese voice actors generally use exaggerated/childish voices in both games and anime (no one speaks like that in real life, even with regard to the adult characters). Regarding localized works, this is partly why American counterparts attempt the same thing, to varying degrees of success.

And yeah, some Japanese consumers criticize the use of anime-style voices in their games. On select projects where a realistic, movie-like feel might be appropriate (i.e. Final Fantasy XII), developers have refrained from casting anime talent in favor of actors with live-action backgrounds.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 14:27   Link #44
Amray

Quote:
You have a lot to learn about voice actors including apparently your own favourite.
Huh!? Exuse me but are you implying that I know nothing about Aya Hirano!? My favourite Japanese voice-actor and singer and you think I know nothing of her? I assure you that you have me all wrong my dear friend. I know a lot more about her than you think, or so it would seem. Let us leave it there for now. ^^
Old 2008-06-21, 17:51   Link #45
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
here's what they've got to do to fix the Star Ocean franchise:
They're better off terraforming mercury.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 19:53   Link #46
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Refine Boots of Prowess and Orichalcum to any weapon a few times and watch that challenge go down the drain. That's just one of the problems with the whole balance of the game and the item creation system.
And all these has something to do with MP damage/enemies dishing out tons of damage how?

From the way you word it, its not the battle system that's flawed... it's the whole item creation business that breaks it to pieces. As it is, extreme damage and/or MP damage are NOT the problem in making battles 'tedious' as you call it.

@amray
Just let it go through your head whatever Kaioshin says about Hirano. He's as biased against her as I am against Kugimiya, so yeah, a little snark here and a little jab there are common from both of us when dealing with VAs were not exactly that fond of.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 20:05   Link #47
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
And all these has something to do with MP damage/enemies dishing out tons of damage how?

From the way you word it, its not the battle system that's flawed... it's the whole item creation business that breaks it to pieces. As it is, extreme damage and/or MP damage are NOT the problem in making battles 'tedious' as you call it.
Oricalcum adds 500 attack. Fully refined boots of prowess add +30% atk and def. Once you have a decently refined weapon you won't really be challanged by anything until the higher levels of sphere 211. Attacks like Maria's energy burst make things even worse. I'd call it a game breaker, but bonus bosses do seems to take it into account eventually.
Old 2008-06-22, 13:49   Link #48
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
Don't forget using shell sapphires to add freeze to the weapon of 1 or 2 characters in your battle party will make most fights last seconds.
Old 2008-06-22, 14:53   Link #49
Amray

Quote:
@amray
Just let it go through your head whatever Kaioshin says about Hirano. He's as biased against her as I am against Kugimiya, so yeah, a little snark here and a little jab there are common from both of us when dealing with VAs were not exactly that fond of.
No worries. I was not letting him get to me anyway. I wouldn't give anyone the pleasure. XD

Anyway, they have announced that they are now allowing 4 party members in a battle rather than 3. That should be awesome. Oh yes, and it is set before the time of the first game too.
Old 2008-07-14, 15:32   Link #50
Lebron
I hear voices

new trailer is up, with in-game gameplay snippets. Good o'l tri-Ace, you'll be getting too much of my money. Infinite Undiscovery this year and SO4 next year. Now they just need to iron out the US release dates for Star Ocean 1 & 2 for PSP, and I'll be set.
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7763_en.html
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 17:49   Link #51
Chase

Yeah i watched the trailer up on XBL earlier, the game looks amazing graphically and tho gameplay shown was short, it was sweet . 360, source for your JRPG
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 23:21   Link #52
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
THE HELL? Did I just see Sword Rain????

With ToV, IU, AND SO4 AND FF13 coming out for the 360, I'm forced to buy an Xbox
frubam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 03:43   Link #53
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
new trailer is up, with in-game gameplay snippets. Good o'l tri-Ace, you'll be getting too much of my money. Infinite Undiscovery this year and SO4 next year. Now they just need to iron out the US release dates for Star Ocean 1 & 2 for PSP, and I'll be set.
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7763_en.html
Still the absolute most bare minimum amount of gameplay footage possible. There's not really all that much more to go on even compared to the last one.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 07:56   Link #54
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post

With ToV, IU, AND SO4 AND FF13 coming out for the 360, I'm forced to buy an Xbox
360 so far is the console for next-gen JRPGs, with all these titles announced.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 08:14   Link #55
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post

I was about to buy a ps3 this friday along with a hd tv, switching to a 360 now since it's going to be the console for rpgs (I like western ones as well) for at least the next couple of years.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 13:34   Link #56
Lebron
I hear voices

Quote:
Still the absolute most bare minimum amount of gameplay footage possible. There's not really all that much more to go on even compared to the last one.
It's still better than nothing, I'm looking at you SE.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 13:58   Link #57
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Damn, SO4's enviroment looks so good! I'm more hyped up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I was about to buy a ps3 this friday along with a hd tv, switching to a 360 now since it's going to be the console for rpgs (I like western ones as well) for at least the next couple of years.
Good choice, as an RPG collector myself, I've been more satisfied with my 360 purchase that I had in a couple weeks than I am with my PS3 that I had for almost half a year already. And that's not counting what's coming in the future...

Old 2008-07-17, 08:36   Link #58
Westlo
Lets be reality

I still do intend to get a ps3... heck I'm going to buy a PSP for the two Star Oceans alone.. but the 360 really is looking good in the rpg department... standard jrpgs and western... but seems like it has a lack in strategy jrpgs or did I miss some? If not no real biggie though since I still have a lot of nippon ichi games to finish on the ps2.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 10:31   Link #59
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
Operation Darkness is already out (though it isn't for most people), while Spectral Force 3 is coming at the end of this month in terms of strategy JRPGs for the 360.

But yeah, I'm looking also forward to the 2 Star Ocean ports. Star Ocean 1 because I haven't played it before, while the 2nd because I was jipped when I chose Claude instead of Rena and I couldn't get the character I wanted, so might as well have my second playthrough on the port.

Old 2008-07-17, 10:34   Link #60
kissthestick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I still do intend to get a ps3... heck I'm going to buy a PSP for the two Star Oceans alone.. but the 360 really is looking good in the rpg department... standard jrpgs and western... but seems like it has a lack in strategy jrpgs or did I miss some? If not no real biggie though since I still have a lot of nippon ichi games to finish on the ps2.
Valkryia chronicles and Disgaea 3 are srpgs for the PS3, but yeah in terms of jrpgs overall, 360 is the best purchase so far.
kissthestick is offline   Reply With Quote