AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-10, 21:32   Link #841
ReddyRedWolf

With the next Sheryl "Concert" does seem reminicent of Sharon Apple.

Grace being an AI compounds it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the people of Galaxy is hypnotized and under control by Grace.

Sheryl will be the wrench in Grace's plan much like Myung was to Sharon Apple.

Seems to me they are setting a combo for Sheryl and Ranka.
Ranka will sing for the Vajra and Sheryl will sing for Frontier and Galaxy.
Old 2008-07-10, 22:30   Link #842
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Hey ani_d still feel confident about your no more Sheryl focused episodes prediction after reading 15 and 18?
An absolute Sheryl focused episode much like episode 10 for Ranka? Nope, I don't think so. Episode covering some character growth from her much like Bye Bye Sheryl, yes I'm expecting some.

You know, I've learned from trusting spoilers. I thought Fastest Delivery will be a Sheryl episode but I was totally wrong. Thank goodness. It's time people stop relying too much on spoilers.
Old 2008-07-10, 22:55   Link #843
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Now, where did everyone get the idea that just because Sheryl may have less screentime =/= Alto x Sheryl end?

Of all the series to use this argument on, I wouldn't choose Macross, as I thought SDF-Macross totally destroyed that argument when the story had its eye on Minmei the whole time, and left Misa with... er... the hero of the series.
Old 2008-07-10, 23:46   Link #844
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Now, where did everyone get the idea that just because Sheryl may have less screentime =/= Alto x Sheryl end?

Of all the series to use this argument on, I wouldn't choose Macross, as I thought SDF-Macross totally destroyed that argument when the story had its eye on Minmei the whole time, and left Misa with... er... the hero of the series.
More than screentime, I just want to see some consistency Less screentime for Sheryl means that for the story to be consistent with what we have right now, Ranka has to get bastardized or get abducted by the vajra in the long run so that Sheryl can spend her quality time with Alto. As things look, Alto is starting to show signs that he's into Ranka too and Ranka certainly isn't going to fall out of love with him anytime soon. In other words, the two are just going to get closer from here. Their feelings are honest.

Screentime < Consistency.

Spoiler for ooc SDF:
Old 2008-07-10, 23:57   Link #845
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
More than screentime, I just want to see some consistency Less screentime for Sheryl means that for the story to be consistent with what we have right now, Ranka has to get bastardized or get abducted by the vajra in the long run so that Sheryl can spend her quality time with Alto. As things look, Alto is starting to show signs that he's into Ranka too and Ranka certainly isn't going to fall out of love with him anytime soon. In other words, the two are just going to get closer from here. Their feelings are honest.

You are essentially dealing with two Minmei here in Macross Frontier. The TV Minmei, and the DYRL Minmei. So let the battle begin~

On a side note, Hikaru was the one who always, and I mean, always brushed off Misa until the very last episode. He was with Minmei the whole time even while Misa did his bed, cleaned his room and all that. The last few episodes simply showed how Hikaru just pushed Misa aside while secretly meeting up with Minmei. At the end, Misa pretty much gave Hikaru an ultimatum, and the rest is history...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-11, 03:41   Link #846
Westlo
Lets be reality

And I think most people can agree that DYRL Minmei > TV Minmei....

Anyway its nice to see that Sharon Apple is up to her old tricks in episode 15! I've been dying for a Plus tie in so I really hope that Grace's AI is somehow connected to Sharon Apples.

Back to 18

Spoiler for 18:

Quote:
An absolute Sheryl focused episode much like episode 10 for Ranka? Nope, I don't think so. Episode covering some character growth from her much like Bye Bye Sheryl, yes I'm expecting some.

You know, I've learned from trusting spoilers. I thought Fastest Delivery will be a Sheryl episode but I was totally wrong. Thank goodness. It's time people stop relying too much on spoilers.
Oh you're shifting the goal posts now? How cute... and no you didn't think that Fastest Delivery was going to be a Sheryl episode because you made your "No More Sheryl focused episodes" ultimatum well before that.

As for not trusting spoilers that's true since while they tell the truth they don't tell the exact truth (they are synopsis more than spoilers though aren't they?) but I see nothing in the spoilers to suggest my way of thinking on how the triangle will progress for the last 5-6 weeks is wrong.
Old 2008-07-11, 05:09   Link #847
Teletha

Quote:

Spoiler for ooc SDF:
You mean consistency with the Ranka arc that just happened? Not with everything else the show has shown? Oh dear. As it stands right now Sheryl is the one "kidnapped" in the hospital, for lack of a better word, and unable to see Alto while Ranka and Alto have their rabu rabu time. There is still some Sheryl bombshells to come, so to say she is just going to go away while the true love of Alto x Ranka only gets stronger and Ranka takes center stage kind of just makes me lol to be honest. Considering how Grace the big evil person in the show and has a huge connection to Sheryl should tell you her story isn't over.

Spoiler for Frontier/SDF:
Old 2008-07-11, 05:19   Link #848
Westlo
Lets be reality

Ranka should have zero romantic hardship in the next 5-6 episodes until she goes to finish off Sheryl with a super and gets parried like Sheryl was related to Daigo. All of Ranka's previous relationship hardship was caused by her imagination, to be frank she hasn't gone through shit that someone like Hayase, Myung/Ismau (they were both in triangles!) and numerous other examples from romance animes went through.

Ranka's source of pain for the next 6 episodes will be from her brothers, varja and story, Sheryl's will be from the romance, career and Grace.

Also people let's not forget the key figure behind the last 3 episodes, Grace. If it wasn't for Grace Ranka and Alto would not be as close as they are now. She set up Sheryl with the fake Galaxy rumor, she made her sick which allowed Ranka to take center stage (not her intention but it worked for nice for Grace), she blowed up a planet to set off this war (how dare they kill Sheryl!!!!) and next episode it looks like she's going to make sure Sheryl does nothing and also tarnish her name. Once this "boss" is overcome it's obvious which character gains the most out of the main 3.

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-07-11 at 06:10.
Old 2008-07-11, 10:20   Link #849
ReddyRedWolf

Is it just me or is Brera's VF-27 equiped with a Song Energy detector?

Given that with song energy detectors can detect song enegy from one end of the galaxy to another should we expect a visit from the good old doctor Chiba or from that "guy" himself?

Or better yet Zolan scientist Lawrence whose theory of space whales being sentient was proven by their songs due to that "guy".
Old 2008-07-11, 10:46   Link #850
zalem

I don't get these suggestions that Sheryl is somehow a side character now and not going to get screentime. It's rather obvious she is a major part of the plot as well. Ranka is connected to the Vajra and Sheryl is connected the instigators/villains of the series, Grace's faction. Grace is using Sheryl for some particular end. That's certainly no small thing. It's all going to tie together in the end.
Old 2008-07-11, 10:53   Link #851
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
I don't get these suggestions that Sheryl is somehow a side character now and not going to get screentime. It's rather obvious she is a major part of the plot as well. Ranka is connected to the Vajra and Sheryl is connected the instigators/villains of the series, Grace's faction. Grace is using Sheryl for some particular end. That's certainly no small thing. It's all going to tie together in the end.
Or at least her image. Grace is gonna pull a page from Sharon Apple's book.

These two singers have the potential to end the war.

If I'm right that Brera's VF-27 is equiped with a Song Energy detector.

Ranka will be the one to stop the Vajra while Sheryl will be the one to save Galaxy and Frontier.

With the power of their voices.
Old 2008-07-11, 13:46   Link #852
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletha View Post
You mean consistency with the Ranka arc that just happened? Not with everything else the show has shown? Oh dear. As it stands right now Sheryl is the one "kidnapped" in the hospital, for lack of a better word, and unable to see Alto while Ranka and Alto have their rabu rabu time. There is still some Sheryl bombshells to come, so to say she is just going to go away while the true love of Alto x Ranka only gets stronger and Ranka takes center stage kind of just makes me lol to be honest. Considering how Grace the big evil person in the show and has a huge connection to Sheryl should tell you her story isn't over.
Noone is saying Sheryl's story is over. I for one didn't say that, that's ridiculous. I'm just not convinced that the story is paving way for 'That Sheryl's Show' and is going to portray Ranka as the obstacle in her life so that she can overcome her and snatch Alto in the end. That's about it, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletha
As it stands right now Ranka and Alto have no conflict to speak of. They just need to both admit they like each other and it's happily ever after. I don't buy it. Not for a second. Which means to me there will be some conflict in the relationship, but not the conflict Ranka fans like to point to - Sheryl.
More than Sheryl, I'm already seeing some conflict here and thus starting to realize how twisted Kawamori is. Ranka and Alto are two worlds apart. She's a Vajra alien and Alto is a normal human. If they end up falling for each other, then I can just guess the amount of drama that will add to that. The romance will be much more interesting from their angle in my opinion and it helps that half of the episodes were set up to get these two to where they are right now. It'll take a LOT to reverse all those episodes if they want to make this believable.

What I'm saying is, since Ranka and Alto's feelings are mutual and honest, the best way to add spice to this is to increase the tragedy rate. I certainly would do it too if I were a twisted writer. If Ranka ends up leaving/dying with the Vajra by the end of this series, then hello cheapshot Sheryl ending lol

Last edited by ani_d; 2008-07-11 at 14:12.
Old 2008-07-11, 13:54   Link #853
magnuskn

Quote:
What I'm saying is, since Ranka and Alto's feelings are mutual and honest, the best way to add spice to this is to increase the tragedy rate. I certainly would do it too if I were a twisted writer. If Ranka ends up leaving/dying with the Vajra by the end of this series, then hello cheapshot Sheryl ending lol
By that time Sheryl already will have won Alto, IŽd say. Because if Alto takes Sheryl as a "consolation price", thatŽd scream truly cheap ass writing to me, something I have yet to see from the Frontier writers. I trust in their ability to write good stories, so Ranka will probably lose Alto around 20-22.

Definitely seeing the rest though ( Ranka leaving with the Vajra ).
Old 2008-07-11, 13:57   Link #854
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I trust in their ability to write good stories, so Ranka will probably lose Alto around 20-22.
Probably.
Old 2008-07-11, 14:07   Link #855
magnuskn

Quote:
Probably.
Do I detect sarcasm here?

WeŽll see, weŽll see. So far weŽve gotten so many plot twists nobody expected, maybe weŽll get a back and forth after episode 18. Who knows? For the next three episodes at leastit looks as if Sheryl is definitely out of the picture.
Old 2008-07-11, 15:10   Link #856
Dori Dori
Sleepy

Spoiler for leon:
Old 2008-07-11, 17:15   Link #857
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
The romance will be much more interesting from their angle in my opinion and it helps that half of the episodes were set up to get these two to where they are right now. It'll take a LOT to reverse all those episodes if they want to make this believable.
a LOT like the other half that set up Sheryl and Alto? I really don't know why you're ignoring the Sheryl and Alto mutual platform that's been built up in the first 11 episodes especially since for that pairing it seems Sheryl's finally realizing her feelings for him in the last 3.

Sheryl's like the older childhood friend who the lead thinks is just teasing him so he never takes her seriously... except she's not a childhood friend.. but episodes 1-11 provided them background which will come into play later. Sheryl could've ended this in episode 10 if she had been serious after the kiss instead of going into defense mode when she couldn't read Alto's reaction. That reaction pretty much confirmed in Alto's mind what he said to Michael in episode 8.
Old 2008-07-11, 17:20   Link #858
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Sheryl's like the older childhood friend who the lead thinks is just teasing him so he never takes her seriously...
So wait what does that make MichaelXKlan?
Old 2008-07-11, 17:22   Link #859
Westlo
Lets be reality

Playground and kid!?
Old 2008-07-11, 17:33   Link #860
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Playground and kid!?
...well, considering she is the swing in their childhood pic... ok then. Carry on.
Closed Thread

Tags
speculation, spoilers