AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-09, 11:18   Link #281
Snuffle
likes cute things

So let me get this straight... Boy meets girl, girl blackmails boy, if this story follows the usual romantic comedy style, then boy and girl will fall in love... Really? A girl that blackmails you is a love interest? Is this some kinda ero-anime?

Aside from that, I don't see why Masuzu is the school beauty. Whenever an anime has a boy or girl in the position of being the most appealing in the school, they look the part.

Girls like these:
Shinka (Chuunibyou)
Sayuri (Tokimeki Only Love)
Kaede, Sia, Nerine, Kareha (Shuffle)
Otome, Nanaka (D.C. II)

But Masuzu just does not look that way to me, she looks so plain... In fact, Chiwa and an upcoming charcater, Ai (purple hair girl from the OP), are much more appealing than Masuzu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
What's wrong with playing around with tropes and popular character types, and picking at the weaknesses or contradictions of them? Do we really want popular tropes to be played straight all the time, forever more? I can certainly appreciate K-On now and then too, but I wouldn't want all anime girls to be like the K-On girls.

There's a difference between showing a filtered and more ideal version of yourself (tweaked in different ways for different situations), and showing something that's a true mask. Most people are a bit different at work than they are at home or at an informal social gathering. But the difference usually isn't that big, at least in my experience.
Playing around with tropes is fine, as long as it makes enough sense for the genre it's being used in. I have a hard time seeing how a person would fall in love with another after they have blackmailed you... Also, tsundere's actually exist in real life, it's just not as entertaining as it is in anime, so it's not unusual for there to be a love interest there.

I'm actually one of those rare(?) people that have big change in personality depending who and where I'm socializing. At times I'm an introvert, at other times I'm so loud I forget I should shut up and mind my manners.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 11:43   Link #282
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
So let me get this straight... Boy meets girl, girl blackmails boy, if this story follows the usual romantic comedy style, then boy and girl will fall in love... Really? A girl that blackmails you is a love interest? Is this some kinda ero-anime?
True, but they might pull some interesting twist in the story, otherwise I will too be disappointed.

Quote:
Aside from that, I don't see why Masuzu is the school beauty. Whenever an anime has a boy or girl in the position of being the most appealing in the school, they look the part.

Girls like these:
Shinka (Chuunibyou)
Otome, Nanaka (D.C. II)

But Masuzu just does not look that way to me, she looks so plain... In fact, Chiwa and an upcoming charcater, Ai (purple hair girl from the OP), are much more appealing than Masuzu.
From the little time I have spent here, just being a foreigner (or having lived abroad for a long time) that can partially understand or have one or two common interests, you immediately become the center of attention. Now this being a romantic comedy, the form of attention Masuzu gathers is juvenile romance.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 13:52   Link #283
Shadow5YA

Quote:

Girls like these:
Shinka (Chuunibyou)
Otome, Nanaka (D.C. II)

Huh? It's not hard to see that she's a foreigner, is rich, and conducts herself politely in public. Is it that hard to see that she looks like a ojou-sama? Even the long, flowing hair should be a giveaway on her maiden princess image.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 17:42   Link #284
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless

Quote:
It's funny that the only alternative to the blackmail girl is a simple-minded genki osana-najimi with plenty of human faults visible even in the first episode, and still it seems like a no contest in terms of who most sane people would pick as their love interest. It boils down to a person honestly caring about you or using you as a tool.

They'll probably go the 'past trauma joins us' route, though -_-.
Cytrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 18:31   Link #285
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
True, but they might pull some interesting twist in the story, otherwise I will too be disappointed.
Well obviously there has to be some kinda twist unless this MC is a maso that likes being bossed around by his to be future wife...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Huh? It's not hard to see that she's a foreigner, is rich, and conducts herself politely in public. Is it that hard to see that she looks like a ojou-sama? Even the long, flowing hair should be a giveaway on her maiden princess image.
She's rich? Was that mentioned? I didn't catch it. Either way, why would her being rich have anything to do with her beauty? Being a foreigner has to do with personal taste. I can see why a select few would think she's a beauty, but a large sum of male students thinking that just because she's not native is a stretch IMO... Also, being an ojou-sama, and having a princess mentality, has nothing to do with physical attraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytrus View Post
It's funny that the only alternative to the blackmail girl is a simple-minded genki osana-najimi with plenty of human faults visible even in the first episode, and still it seems like a no contest in terms of who most sane people would pick as their love interest. It boils down to a person honestly caring about you or using you as a tool.

They'll probably go the 'past trauma joins us' route, though -_-.
According to the OP, there are 2 more girls. Some purple hair girl named Ai, and I didn't check the name for the short black hair one. Judging only by the OP, it seems Ai is the playful type. A simple minded genki osananajimi and a playful girl is a better option for the sane IMO.
Old 2013-01-09, 18:50   Link #286
Shadow5YA

Quote:

She's rich? Was that mentioned? I didn't catch it. Either way, why would her being rich have anything to do with her beauty? Being a foreigner has to do with personal taste. I can see why a select few would think she's a beauty, but a large sum of male students thinking that just because she's not native is a stretch IMO... Also, being an ojou-sama, and having a princess mentality, has nothing to do with physical attraction.
Being foreign is only part of the attraction. The point is that she looks elegant, refined, and attractive like a person of high class should. The fact that you think Chiwa of all girls would that fit image better shows that something is a little... off with your point of view.
Old 2013-01-09, 18:57   Link #287
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Being foreign is only part of the attraction. The point is that she looks elegant, refined, and attractive like a person of high class should. The fact that you think Chiwa of all girls would that fit image better shows that something is a little... off with your point of view.
My comment about Chiwa (and Ai) was about her personality, not her appearance. You're misunderstanding the subject of my comments. Cytrus was talking about the personality of the girls, so I commented on the girls personalities.
Chiwa (and probably Ai) is most likely a better choice, rather than a girl that threatens you.
Old 2013-01-09, 18:58   Link #288
Xaturas

I wonder why Chiwa runs with her dog collar everywhere, even in bath while being naked. Some scar or something, or just stupid fetish, not to mention its still a dog collar.
Old 2013-01-09, 19:03   Link #289
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And what's wrong with that? What's wrong with playing around with tropes and popular character types, and picking at the weaknesses or contradictions of them? Do we really want popular tropes to be played straight all the time, forever more? I can certainly appreciate K-On now and then too, but I wouldn't want all anime girls to be like the K-On girls.
That is quite the straw man that you set-up there. If anything, I was pointing out in my post (in all the parts that you omitted from your quotes) that this too is actually a trope that has been done many times before too. But still, in my view, there is plenty of variety in terms of the characters in anime, and there is no risk whatsoever that "all anime girls [will] be like the K-On girls". Nobody has ever claimed to want "popular tropes to be played straight all the time, forever more", as far as I can tell. Characters having a facade is not, itself, character depth; it's just a bit of misdirection, particularly when it's exposed in the first episode. I think it's too soon to decide what the "commentary" is.
Old 2013-01-09, 19:06   Link #290
Shadow5YA

Quote:
My comment about Chiwa (and Ai) was about her personality, not her appearance. You're misunderstanding the subject of my comments.
Huh? Then your complaint makes even less sense, because what I see is:

Quote:

Girls like these:
Shinka (Chuunibyou)
Otome, Nanaka (D.C. II)

Let's not forget that the only person Masuzu has been "evil" towards is Eita. Towards anyone else she tries to be as polite as possible just like Shinka did in Chuunibiyou. With no flaws in her outward behavior coupled together with her looks, any guy would think she is a beauty. Even Eita thought she was attractive until she revealed her true colors.
Old 2013-01-09, 19:13   Link #291
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Huh? Then your complaint makes even less sense, because what I see is:

Let's not forget that the only person Masuzu has been "evil" towards is Eita. Towards anyone else she tries to be as polite as possible just like Shinka did in Chuunibiyou.
I'm talking about 2 different things here, appearance and personality. When I commented about Masuzu not looking like a school beauty, I'm only talking about her appearance. This is the very first time I ever thought this for any anime (that I can remember), so it really sticks out to me. Whenever a character is labeled as the school hottie, he or she is attractive enough to fit the part. Shinka does look like she can fit the role of the school beauty even though I think of her as somewhat a bitch. Other people most likely don't know what Masuzu is really like, they only know about her looks, so her personality cannot be a factor.

It's irrelevant if Masuzu is nice to everyone but Eita, since what I'm talking about is which girl would be a better choice for him to end up with.
Old 2013-01-09, 19:19   Link #292
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

And the anoying little brat is the better choice because???
It would be nice if people would wait for a couple of episodes and see how the relationships between the charaters develop before making baseless statements.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 19:20   Link #293
Shadow5YA

Quote:
I'm talking about 2 different things here, appearance and personality. When I commented about Masuzu not looking like a school beauty, I'm only talking about her appearance. This is the very first time I ever thought this for any anime (that I can remember), so it really sticks out to me. Whenever a character is labeled as the school hottie, he or she is attractive enough to fit the part. Shinka does look like she can fit the role of the school beauty even though I think of her as somewhat a bitch. Other people most likely don't know what Masuzu is really like, they only know about her looks, so her personality cannot be a factor.
Then why bring personality into the discussion earlier when that was the post I was replying to? It does not follow.

I've already stated how her character design would fit the role. She is neither too tall nor too short, has long, bright flowing straight hair, and conducts herself properly.
Old 2013-01-09, 19:22   Link #294
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Then why bring personality into the discussion earlier when that was the post I was replying to? It does not follow.
It's just the way I took your comment, if that was not what you were saying, then it was my mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
And the anoying little brat is the better choice because???
It would be nice if people would wait for a couple of episodes and see how the relationships between the charaters develop before making baseless statements.
I was not saying that the "little brat" was for sure the better choice. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand... Unless this childhood friend is some psycho or something, there is naturally going to be a lot of trust between her and the MC. How is that not better than a girl that desires to ruin your school social life if you don't do what she says?
Old 2013-01-09, 19:29   Link #295
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Quote:
I have a hard time seeing how a person would fall in love with another after they have blackmailed you...
Stockholm Syndrome...?
Old 2013-01-09, 19:51   Link #296
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
I was not saying that the "little brat" was for sure the better choice. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand... Unless this childhood friend is some psycho or something, there is naturally going to be a lot of trust between her and the MC. How is that not better than a girl that desires to ruin your school social life if you don't do what she says?
Annyonig little brats reminds me how annoying and clingy little sisters and their freinds can be.

Masuzu seems to not really be that kind of a person who would really do that. So I treat is just like a empty threat.
Besides, you don't chose who you fell in in love in the first place and this blackmail is only used as a plot device.
Anyway, let's see how it develops between them before making fanboy statements.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 20:48   Link #297
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:

Girls like these:
Shinka (Chuunibyou)
Otome, Nanaka (D.C. II)

We are the same age, and have probably been watching anime for close to the same number of decades. And yet, you and I have COMPLETELY different views on this.

Masuzu stands out in that school. Between the long flowing, silver hair, and the way she carries herself. Not to mention the fact that she has turned down 58 proposals, and is a foreigner, make her very appealing to guys. She is mysterious, different, and un-attainable. That makes her even more appealing...
Old 2013-01-09, 21:10   Link #298
Domonkazu

Quote:
Well obviously there has to be some kinda twist unless this MC is a maso that likes being bossed around by his to be future wife...
you mean like Araragi rofl

I don't mind if she has long silver hair and Yukarin's voice

Last edited by Domonkazu; 2013-01-09 at 21:42.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 01:41   Link #299
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytrus View Post
Yeah, well, maybe I'm insane, but I have an easier time seeing the attraction of a challenge than that of a small, noisy animal.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 02:57   Link #300
Anime Online

It doesn't matter how realistic it is for Kidou to have romantic feelings toward Masuzu, who threatens to reveal his embarrassing past unless he helps her out. It seems clear to me that the anime is setting up the premise of pairing two people who profess no interest in a romantic relationship. Just look at the title of the show.

The anime reminds me of those commonly used plots in romance novels: two people who absolutely can't stand each other ends up falling in love.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, coming of age, harem, romance, school life, shounen