AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-07, 14:46   Link #26241
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it is call karma.
That's not funny if any.

Speaking of it, I can't wait to see karma hitting back at the Russians considering the big mistake they made in the midst of negotiations. They also played that game with Canada several times too.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-02-07 at 15:04.
Old 2013-02-07, 15:12   Link #26242
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
That's not funny if any.

Speaking of it, I can't wait to see karma hitting back at the Russians considering the big mistake they made in the midst of negotiations. They also played that game with Canada several times too.
Xellos is not wrong to be honest. Many of disputes between Japan and its neighbor are legacy of the Japanese Empire.
Old 2013-02-07, 15:13   Link #26243
Xacual

This is a really interesting case when you look at the background around it. It looks like he really was fired for trying to be a whistle blower.

I don't agree with the methods he's undertaken but it sounds like he really did try all the legal alternatives.

Edit: Deleted the manifesto link, not sure which version of it it was, and there seems to be multiple fake edited versions with stuff added and cut to make him seem more crazy.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy

Last edited by Xacual; 2013-02-08 at 06:50.
Old 2013-02-07, 15:25   Link #26244
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Extreme pro nativisim comes off as kinda silly in these circumstances.
Nah, it's really the most fitting irony possible, regardless of what you believe about illegal immigration. I love it.
Old 2013-02-07, 15:39   Link #26245
konart

Quote:
OK, now what?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21364559

According to this picture:
Spoiler for size:

Those pilots were completely off the mark if they were supposed to do drills over the Kurils. If they keep on holding the same speech, then I'm the Queen of England.

Seriously, what the hell is going on all out of a sudden? Everyone has a beef against Japan these days. And that was even before Abe was elected.
>anniversary of an 1855 treaty which Japan says supports its claims to the islands.

Are they tired of this yet?
Old 2013-02-07, 16:22   Link #26246
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Japan and Russia have never signed a peace treaty marking the end of hostilities during the Second World War because of this dispute. So, no, I would say they are not "tired of it yet."

KiraYamatoFan did not include the latter paragraph from that story reporting that yesterday was also "Northern Territories Day" in Japan, an annual event when rallies are held demanding that Russia give the islands back.

Here's a piece from the BBC on the 2011 commemoration. That event included the burning of a Russian flag by demonstrators in Tokyo.
Old 2013-02-07, 17:30   Link #26247
Solafighter
Hige

Bad news for all aviation fans out there.

USN Blue Angels and USAF Thunderbirds will be grounded if the sequestration goes through.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/red-flag-th...190244941.html

"With fiscal cliff budget cuts looming about two weeks away, Air Force leaders said Thursday they will cancel upcoming Red Flag air combat training exercises at Nellis Air Force Base and ground the Thunderbirds demonstration team if Congress and the White House don't agree to a solution to the nation's $16 trillion debt."

"Morin said a Red Flag exercise in March, which is scheduled to begin Feb. 27, would be the first to be cut(...)."
Old 2013-02-07, 18:35   Link #26248
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
>anniversary of an 1855 treaty which Japan says supports its claims to the islands.

Are they tired of this yet?
As much as there is an ongoing debate about the Falklands. Just because a group of civilians are demonstrating in front of an embassy on an annual basis doesn't mean you can send planes off the mark into what is already recognized as Japanese airspace. I have yet to see the RAF violate Argentinian airspace whenever Argies demonstrate in front of the British embassy. I'm sure some people would be the first to shout out loud against Britain if they did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Japan and Russia have never signed a peace treaty marking the end of hostilities during the Second World War because of this dispute. So, no, I would say they are not "tired of it yet."

KiraYamatoFan did not include the latter paragraph from that story reporting that yesterday was also "Northern Territories Day" in Japan, an annual event when rallies are held demanding that Russia give the islands back.
And considering that Stalin violated the Soviet-Japanese Neutrality Pact and was never blamed in history books while Hitler was (rightfully) crucified for violating the Nazi-Soviet Non-Aggression Pact, all of that while Japan already had a knee down after the 2 nuclear bombings, that's an even more difficult one to swallow.

About the missing part, I only picked up the article and the quote from another website I'm registered on.

Anyway, discussions were going on, things were kept civil inside the bilateral committee working on the discussions, but now this doesn't help at all. Whoever were piloting those jets made a major judgement error there when they had plenty of airspace over the Kurils at the time. Let the politicians do their job for once!
Old 2013-02-07, 19:16   Link #26249
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
And considering that Stalin violated the Soviet-Japanese Neutrality Pact and was never blamed in history books while Hitler was (rightfully) crucified for violating the Nazi-Soviet Non-Aggression Pact, all of that while Japan already had a knee down after the 2 nuclear bombings, that's an even more difficult one to swallow
Uh, you DO realize that there was this one little thing called World War 2 going on right? One in which the Soviets and Japan ended up on opposite sides? Hitler's decision to invade Russia was "crucified" because in didn't work and ended up backfiring, not because it was dishonorable.

I'm also not sure what's "hard to swallow" about piling on Japan, it was a world war, not a game of Risk, especially considering Imperial Japan being the aggressor and its brutality throughout the war.
Old 2013-02-07, 19:55   Link #26250
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I'm also not sure what's "hard to swallow" about piling on Japan, it was a world war, not a game of Risk, especially considering Imperial Japan being the aggressor and its brutality throughout the war.
Considering that the US already had Japan in the back pocket after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I have a hard time understanding the neccessity behind that particular episode AFTER Hiro-Hito announced Japan's surrender on August 15, 1945 (In August 18–31, Soviet forces invaded the North and South Kurils). I'm just trying to keep things open-minded on that particular subject here (and, yes, I'm a fan of that picture in which a sailor kissed that woman in the celebrations in New York ). Anyway, we're drifting off-topic on this.

In the present time, politicians were holding ongoing talks, things were kept civil, and civilian reactions from both sides were supposedly non-influential upon the talks. However, can you tell me what in the world were 2 Russian planes doing within the Hokkaido airspace, completely off the mark from their assigned position over the Kurils? As I mentioned, some people here would be the first to blast Britain if they sent the RAF within Argentinian airspace in response to a local civilian demonstration in front of the embassy, especially after the Argentinian president's recent comments on the Falklands.
Old 2013-02-07, 20:27   Link #26251
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Considering that the US already had Japan in the back pocket after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I have a hard time understanding the neccessity behind that particular episode AFTER Hiro-Hito announced Japan's surrender on August 15, 1945 (In August 18–31, Soviet forces invaded the North and South Kurils). I'm just trying to keep things open-minded on that particular subject here (and, yes, I'm a fan of that picture in which a sailor kissed that woman in the celebrations in New York ). Anyway, we're drifting off-topic on this.
Russia had claims on those islands since the Russo-Japanese war. They moved troops to occupy them in order to press that claim and prevent the Americans from taking them over.

They did even worse in Eastern Europe, the terms of the Yalta conference were that Poland, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Hungary and Romania would be free, independent and have democratic elections. Didn't really happen though, because the Allies were not keen on going to war with the largest land army in the world. The soviets could do whatever they liked, and they pretty much did.
Old 2013-02-07, 23:59   Link #26252
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

South Korean military sharpens reflexes on divided peninsula
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91614Y20130207
Quote:
As North Korea prepares a third nuclear test, South Korean soldiers on the world's most heavily armed border now have orders to shoot back immediately if they come under attack, a move that risks escalating any small-scale conflict.
Old 2013-02-08, 00:39   Link #26253
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That is slightly unsettling.
Old 2013-02-08, 01:48   Link #26254
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

SK is making a bold but risky move. It better be worth it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-02-08, 02:05   Link #26255
konart

Quote:
As much as there is an ongoing debate about the Falklands. Just because a group of civilians are demonstrating in front of an embassy on an annual basis doesn't mean you can send planes off the mark into what is already recognized as Japanese airspace. I have yet to see the RAF violate Argentinian airspace whenever Argies demonstrate in front of the British embassy. I'm sure some people would be the first to shout out loud against Britain if they did that.

And considering that Stalin violated the Soviet-Japanese Neutrality Pact and was never blamed in history books while Hitler was (rightfully) crucified for violating the Nazi-Soviet Non-Aggression Pact, all of that while Japan already had a knee down after the 2 nuclear bombings, that's an even more difficult one to swallow.

About the missing part, I only picked up the article and the quote from another website I'm registered on.

Anyway, discussions were going on, things were kept civil inside the bilateral committee working on the discussions, but now this doesn't help at all. Whoever were piloting those jets made a major judgement error there when they had plenty of airspace over the Kurils at the time. Let the politicians do their job for once!
It's just our way of saying "Oh, please..." Also, "Japan last reported an incursion by Russian aircraft in February 2008." bugs me, because I read arcticle like that on an annual basis.

Here is the 2012 version of the "incident": http://newsru.ru/russia/09feb2012/vsp.html (in russian, sorry). It was "five planes" at that time, icluding Tu-95 and A-50.
Old 2013-02-08, 04:00   Link #26256
konart

Sorry for double post., but:

BACK IN THE USSR? KEY SOVIET DOCUMENT IS MISSING

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/docum...ssing-archives

Quote:
The powerful Soviet Union may still exist after all — at least on paper.

Former Belarusian leader Stanislav Shushkevich says a historic 1991 document that proclaimed the death of the Soviet Union is missing from the archives.

Shushkevich discovered that the document was gone while working on his memoirs. He said he believes it was stolen — possibly by a former Belarusian official — probably with the intention of selling it to a collector.
*insert your "in soviet russia" joke or Simpsons' "USSR is back" video here*
Old 2013-02-08, 09:20   Link #26257
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Violence mars funeral of slain Tunisian opposition leader
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9150B820130208
Old 2013-02-08, 10:07   Link #26258
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

May I point out, that unlike the small hunk of rocks that are Takeshima/Dokudo and the silly Sankaku islands, the Northern Territories are large INHABITED islands?

So yeah, it's taken seriously for both parties involved. Lives of thousands depend on it.

Jesus Christ. What's wrong with some of you people.
Old 2013-02-08, 10:18   Link #26259
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
May I point out, that unlike the small hunk of rocks that are Takeshima/Dokudo and the silly Sankaku islands, the Northern Territories are large INHABITED islands?

So yeah, it's taken seriously for both parties involved. Lives of thousands depend on it.

Jesus Christ. What's wrong with some of you people.
~19,000 to be more precise. It's sparsely populated, and none of the inhabitants have been there particularly long.

Though I think Japan should just give up on them at this point. That's what they get for losing WW2. It's not like they had to give away Hokkaido.
Old 2013-02-08, 10:18   Link #26260
Sumeragi
Banned

I just shake my head at people's comments on the issue.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international