AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-07-25, 08:53   Link #301
klowny
OH NO

I'm trying to go into film (not acting, working behind a camera) and get a job in TV or something
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 10:21   Link #302
Soliar.x

I want to either teach at a Primary School or become an english teacher.
Soliar.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 12:12   Link #303
LithiumHelios
Custom User Title

Send a message via MSN to LithiumHelios
Currently have a year left on a degree in Astrophysics. Aim to go to go for PhD (I'm in the UK). Areas that I'm interested in include Cosmology, Particle Physics (most likely cosmological applications) or Gravitational Physics (some areas of numerical relativity or gravitational waves).

Think cosmology is currently my favoured area of interest. Just need to think about where I want to go (will have to do this over the summer now as applications will be due around Dec/Jan this year) and narrow down the subjects/research programs that are of interest.

That'll eat up the next 4 years of my life (though I do love what I do so...) and then I'll really have to see how things stand at the end of the PhD (presuming I complete it successfully) as Post-Docs can be pretty competitive (again, astrophysics isn't a fantastically funded area - fewer everyday life applications compared to other areas such as condensed matter) and there's still a way to go before setting myself up as a scientist with research experience and credibility.
LithiumHelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 22:57   Link #304
Loli Gurl

When I graduate from High School, I want to go to college and major in Biology/Chemistry and Psychology. I want to go into the field of Forensics and also psychology.
Loli Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 02:41   Link #305
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

I want to study Traditional Chinese Medicine when I go to college (still have one year of high school left). Funny how that worked out since a year ago I would not think of becoming a doctor, and that occupation had never been the job I wanted to do.

Too bad I will still have to spend an additional two years in college before I can transfer to a TCM school. Also, as it's a rather new field, virtually everyone I know has been against me choosing that job or advising me to choose something else.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 02:57   Link #306
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachopvutru View Post
I want to study Traditional Chinese Medicine when I go to college (still have one year of high school left). Funny how that worked out since a year ago I would not think of becoming a doctor, and that occupation had never been the job I wanted to do.

Too bad I will still have to spend an additional two years in college before I can transfer to a TCM school. Also, as it's a rather new field, virtually everyone I know has been against me choosing that job or advising me to choose something else.
The guy I'm leasing my apartment from does this, just got back from studying in China itself. Hes broke as hell
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 03:43   Link #307
Magicberyl

Aeronautic engineering.

well, it's a hard road to get on. But working with planes or whatever that flies is my dream since the very beginning. haha
Magicberyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 10:55   Link #308
otakujohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumHelios View Post
Currently have a year left on a degree in Astrophysics. Aim to go to go for PhD (I'm in the UK). Areas that I'm interested in include Cosmology, Particle Physics (most likely cosmological applications) or Gravitational Physics (some areas of numerical relativity or gravitational waves).

Think cosmology is currently my favoured area of interest. Just need to think about where I want to go (will have to do this over the summer now as applications will be due around Dec/Jan this year) and narrow down the subjects/research programs that are of interest.

That'll eat up the next 4 years of my life (though I do love what I do so...) and then I'll really have to see how things stand at the end of the PhD (presuming I complete it successfully) as Post-Docs can be pretty competitive (again, astrophysics isn't a fantastically funded area - fewer everyday life applications compared to other areas such as condensed matter) and there's still a way to go before setting myself up as a scientist with research experience and credibility.

People always misunderstand pure research. Sure, it won't make a better toaster, but pure research is vitally important to expanding the collective knowledge of human kind. In the long-term, practical application naturally follows.

I believe what you're doing deserves the highest amount of respect, but I'm kind of an odd guy. When I was young, while all my friends were idolizing actors and famous athletes I was looking up to people like Carl Sagan and Richard Feynman.
otakujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 13:56   Link #309
LithiumHelios
Custom User Title

Send a message via MSN to LithiumHelios
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakujohn View Post
People always misunderstand pure research. Sure, it won't make a better toaster, but pure research is vitally important to expanding the collective knowledge of human kind. In the long-term, practical application naturally follows.

I believe what you're doing deserves the highest amount of respect, but I'm kind of an odd guy. When I was young, while all my friends were idolizing actors and famous athletes I was looking up to people like Carl Sagan and Richard Feynman.
I wouldn't say that's odd at all! Well, I wouldn't would I? They were fantastic figures able to break things down and explain them in such a brilliant way. Theres plenty of good books and documentaries out there and learning something new is just brilliant.

I'd probably also agree that pure research can often be misunderstood and far too often it comes down to trying to justify exactly what the economy will get in return. (I can appreciate this requirement to a point but pure research often just looks at trying to figure out why and how something happens without thinking about how much investment it can generate.) And tying in to there being some great communicators in science such as Feynman, it's important that we try to make all the knowledge that we're developing (in all subjects really) as accessible to anyone with an interest as we can. Always good to see something such as the Hubble space telescope become such a publicly well known topic! Some really great images to be seen.

keep on learning, there's still such a vast amount left to discover
LithiumHelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 13:58   Link #310
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
already finished audio engineering, and im starting medicine as a 2nd career in about 4 months...

Last edited by CeDeR; 2009-07-27 at 14:22.
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 14:21   Link #311
Code_Geass101
Crazy Chick

Wedding Planner
Code_Geass101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 14:33   Link #312
Hakuoro917
Obsessed Anime Syndrome
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Hakuoro917
Overall even though I'm still 15 I wish to have a career working for Funimation or ADV Films because I Have major obsessions with anime so why not? I know of no specific criteria they have for applicants. But I hope to one day work for either company.
Hakuoro917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 21:09   Link #313
Sleep
Tomato

Send a message via MSN to Sleep
I'm studying ''ICT & Media Design'' atm hoping to become designer in any form of digital art 2D and 3D
Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 12:34   Link #314
oompa loompa

Unrealistic - Become a musician. Theres nothing I could want more than to get into a good orchestra, meet great musician(s) there, and raise a family of musicians. Not happening though, even if I get my concert degree (looks like ~2-3 years away) I wouldnt have gone to a music school, and I wouldnt have been a music major, and most importantly, I'm not this kind of person - Its my understanding that if you're not exceptionally good its a tough life to lead - If you decide you want to go to music school a) you love music b) you're very good at music, probably one of the best in your school. From those musicians only the best of the best get good jobs (something like 1/100 for an ICSOM job from music school grads ). Still, someday I really want to perform in an orchestra, or a trio, and play on stage.

Can anyone shed some light on this? About performing in a good ( good = proper hall with an audience apart from the members families and close friends) orchestra without actually being super omfgwtfbbq-iwenttomusicschool etc etc good?

Perhaps - Something to do with international relations, perhaps a UN job. Lately I've been told by a lot of people that its definetly what I should be doing, and that I'd be really good at it. Still.. its not my major, ( or minor ), and its tough. Also, my mom who's in the civil services keeps telling me that if I want to do serious work I should join the UN through the civil services, which I dont think I want to do as the entrance exam is brutal, and it requires I learn a whole new language.

Realistic - Banking or computers. Lately, I havn't been too enthusiastic about this . I'm good at it.. I guess. but I donno, is it really how I want to spend my life? Maybe I'm just conditioned. Nothing good about the corporate sector ever comes out these days - It's always made out to be so dull and boring. I can't say I know very well though. Any inputs?
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 16:11   Link #315
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Get a steady engineering job with normal salary, if I have a boss I'd want the exploitation kept to a minimum and if I'm a freelancer I'd like to have my own electronics store. As far as unrealistic career goes, I want to hit 3 jackpots in a row before the new taxing system for gambling takes effect...and just sit on my pile of money till the grandchildren of my grandchildren's children have to think about getting a job!!!
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 16:24   Link #316
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

As of now, I want to learn how to program and get a job in computers. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience, so....

Well, just in case, I guess I'll keep engineering an open possibility in the beginning of college.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 11:06   Link #317
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

I'm going for a career in music education.

Not sure exactly what, probably a band director or something like that. I got a few years to decide anyways. I'm still in a community college so I'm only a music major at the moment.

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”
Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 11:09   Link #318
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I'm going for a career in Accounting... but I'm probably going to go for my MBA after finishing my 4 years remaining of my undergraduate degree first.
Old 2009-07-30, 07:44   Link #319
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I've stepped up my exercise regime in case becoming an Officer falls through so I can apply for Special Forces Direct Entry.

I should be able to meet the SF requirements within a few months if I stick to it.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 10:14   Link #320
Yamada
Minori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Can anyone shed some light on this? About performing in a good ( good = proper hall with an audience apart from the members families and close friends) orchestra without actually being super omfgwtfbbq-iwenttomusicschool etc etc good?
The only thing I can suggest is maybe looking around for a community music hall for the time being. I know where I live they have a couple of little community bands that practice every week and perform on a semi-regular basis. You certainly won't get famous from it, and you can't make a living off it either, but at least you're playing. That way you can network with others who might play orchestral instruments as well.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote