AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2013-08-10, 09:25   Link #2161
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
That is Mother Nature's way of population control.
Oh! Nice point, I'll accept that. It's better to have a war against mother nature and pathogens though, rather than people against people and gaining alliance with pathogens - purely horrible.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 10:05   Link #2162
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
Oh! Nice point, I'll accept that. It's better to have a war against mother nature and pathogens though, rather than people against people and gaining alliance with pathogens - purely horrible.
Actually I am glad that Mother Nature always win. Realisation of mortality is a great way to wake selfish people up.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 10:43   Link #2163
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
I know this, but still we aren't sure if our very much updated knowledge still lies to this one. I mean, you know that new technologies and discoveries will just bump up of nowhere, so I was thinking of what if some really super devastating weapon that can wipe out our race, be it biological or nuclear. My curiousity lies into something like, why do they develop such devastating weapon then? I mean, why would they create something that will end our race? Right?
They develop devastating weapons in part to control others, and in part to ensure that others will not be able to control them. As for "ending the human race," I think you're downplaying just how difficult that would be. I can't speak for the nuclear aspect, but I'll restate again that it would be impossible for a biological agent to wipe out humanity entirely. And I do not normally use the word "impossible" with regard to scientific advances.

Quote:
Though we should consider as well that this not so lethal pathogens will not get immunized against our antipathogenic agents. If so, even the less lethal would be lethal. To start with, the less lethal variety were the ones that are kind of likely to survive longer.
Whether or not "less lethal" pathogens would get around immunization has nothing to do with their lethality and everything to do with their structure and/or mode of transmission, as it relates to what the vaccine or treatment is targeting. Saying that "less lethal would be lethal" makes no sense. Compare the infection rates and lethality of the Herpes Simplex Virus (both types) against something "scary" like the Marburg virus or the Ebola virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
That is Mother Nature's way of population control.
Not really, these are just organisms that are trying to survive or propagate. "Mother Nature's way of population control" has always been resource availability. There are clear ecological cases of population crashes due to lack of resource availability (particularly noted in cases where a predator is removed). Even then, the population does not disappear entirely. Its numbers dip below the previous stable population number, and it may experience further peaks and troughs. Note that pathogens do not come into play here.

Last edited by Ledgem; 2013-08-10 at 11:21.
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 23:14   Link #2164
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Religions asking if test-tube burgers allow them to keep the faith
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9780V020130809
Old 2013-08-10, 23:54   Link #2165
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I don't know about those religions, but I don't see the problem in eating those. I guess they only have issues against pork meat, if I'm not mistaken.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 07:53   Link #2166
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The animals also have to be slaughtered in a certain way.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 08:10   Link #2167
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
In the army, jungle-warfare school instructors have discouraged conservative believers from taking up survival courses for one reason - everyone has to eat snakes and snails at some point of time.

Then again, I see Muslim and Buddhist candidates in Ranger and such courses; a couple of them told me that "the idea of not eating something" is simply respecting the food you eat - the animal sarcificed its life to feed you, the minimum you can do is to prepare it properly and don't waste food.

Since test-tube burgers don't really have a sentient life (screw the mitochondria debate, they aren't living), technically speaking, it should be obvious that it doesn't step on any faith issues.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-08-11, 08:25   Link #2168
Skane
Anime Snark

I'm more excited about how this could possibly revolutionise wildlife conservation. It's bloody expensive now, but imagine in the future when it becomes mass consumer affordable. We won't need to worry about over-fishing because we can just grow the bloody things indoors. You want Shark-fin Soup? Lab-grow it. Seahorses? Lab-grow that too. Caviar? Whale-meat? Etc...

Also, with some modifications, it may also lead to lab-growing ivory.

People can continue to eat/wear whatever the heck they want, and we won't need to poach some animals to do it, because we can just grow it.

Cheers.
Old 2013-08-11, 08:35   Link #2169
JokerD

Everything when scaled up will have an effect on resources. Need to take into account what goes the making of these meat.
It's like saying that we should go veg to save the earth, but forest will still need to be cleared to plant crops in the first place...
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 09:03   Link #2170
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Everything when scaled up will have an effect on resources. Need to take into account what goes the making of these meat.
It's like saying that we should go veg to save the earth, but forest will still need to be cleared to plant crops in the first place...
With the advent of the Internet and personal food processors, perishable-processing companies might be in for the grind. Things might become even more DIY in the future.

Old 2013-08-11, 18:31   Link #2171
AnimeFan188

Use Loop To Animate The World:

"I'm really bad at drawing. Really really really bad. Like hand turkeys and stick
figures level. But Loop might be a way to bring me up a little bit. It's an iPad app for
making hand-drawn animations, but you can use it with guides like other drawings
or photos for tracing. Basically there are a bunch of different ways to get going,
which is what I need.

Loop has frame by frame drawing, onion skinning, frame duplication and punch of
drawing tools. You can animate in red, blue, and black, and the final versions are
320px x 180px GIFs. You can share the short animations through e-mail or Tumblr,
or show them off on the Loop Tumblr."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/use-loop-to-anima...rld-1102063169
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 21:48   Link #2172
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Identical twin U.S. astronauts to serve as research subjects
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9780UP20130810
Old 2013-08-12, 10:41   Link #2173
EmagEvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Who know? Maybe we can manufacture those with... Soil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I'm more excited about how this could possibly revolutionise wildlife conservation. It's bloody expensive now, but imagine in the future when it becomes mass consumer affordable. We won't need to worry about over-fishing because we can just grow the bloody things indoors. You want Shark-fin Soup? Lab-grow it. Seahorses? Lab-grow that too. Caviar? Whale-meat? Etc...
Also, with some modifications, it may also lead to lab-growing ivory.
People can continue to eat/wear whatever the heck they want, and we won't need to poach some animals to do it, because we can just grow it.
Cheers.
Yeah, no need to slaughter or inhuman farming to have what we want to eat! But it's their compositions which worry me...
EmagEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-12, 18:51   Link #2174
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

California billionaire lifts lid on 'Hyperloop' futuristic transport
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...97B0U320130812
Old 2013-08-15, 09:02   Link #2175
Shyni

Scientists in Hawaii breed glow-in-the-dark bunny rabbits.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-15, 23:45   Link #2176
whitecloud

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57...glass-of-2029/

So......in 2029 we will be living in a ghost in the shell world? I guess i should learn some programming...would not want to be hacked by the level A hacker
Old 2013-08-16, 06:29   Link #2177
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

China to probe IBM, Oracle, EMC for security concerns: paper
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...97F02720130816
Old 2013-08-16, 09:41   Link #2178
Shyni

New species of mammal discovered: the olinguito.

http://www.economist.com/news/scienc...83594-peekaboo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...125_story.html

Well, according to the Washington Post article, not so much discovered as "confirmed as a separate species".
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 13:39   Link #2179
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

How does it taste?
Old 2013-08-16, 13:50   Link #2180
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
How does it taste?
like a raccoon