Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-08, 17:21   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Soul Society's King ? (Character book information)

In the Bleach Character Book, they refer to a king that rules Soul Society. No name is given for him, just that Soul Society is ruled by him.

Character Book Info

Since we have never heard the existence of a king even mentioned in the course of the manga, I seriously wonder if that "king" really exists. Perhaps this he was killed ages ago. Perhaps when Aizen said that noone rules in heaven he was referring to the fact that the king's throne is empty.

This is all just speculation of course, but it does lead one to the amusing speculation that the real reason Ichigo is so ridiculously powerful is because he is descended from (or reincarnated from) the vanished King of Soul Society. Real? Who knows. It is just an amusing thought.

If someone could translate this picture, I would be grateful:

If anyone wants to comment with something that is only in the manga (you know what I mean), then make sure to use spoiler tags:
[spoiler=manga] Manga r0x0r5 [/spoiler]

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-08, 17:25   Link #2
Bronwen Stx
Did you say something?

XD Ooh...I haven't considered the idea that Ichigo might be the descendent of the missing King...
Spoiler for manga:
Old 2006-02-08, 17:34   Link #3
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

The best political term to refer to the throne of SS would have been emperor.

After all, the SS bases the aristocracy on the ancient samurai feudalism.

However, if it was the author's choice then so "King" be it.
Old 2006-02-08, 20:34   Link #4
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

The middle is the "Royal Family", divided into two branches.
The left is the Central 46, the right is the Royal Guard.

Under the Central 46 are, from left to right, Onmitsu Kidou, Kidoushuu and the Gotei 13.

There are five sub-divisions under the Onmitsu Kidou, the first sub-division is Keigun, while the fifth is the Inner Palace Guard (probably guarding Seireitei).

Most here no doubt knows about the Gotei 13, the 4th Division is the Medical Division, while the 12th Division is the R&D Division, which is further divided into the Communications Tech Research Dept and the Spiritual Power Measurement Research Dept.
Old 2006-02-08, 21:11   Link #5
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Picture version completed: translations by Kinny Riddle^

Last edited by [DOT].L; 2006-02-08 at 22:17.
Old 2006-02-08, 22:14   Link #6
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Nice! Now could someone please translate Onmitsu Kidou, Kidou Shuu and Keigun? Also, what are the 5 divisions under the Onmitsu Kidou called? (I think that the 13 squads of the Gotei 13 are obvious enough.)

Interesting thing about your translation is that it implies that there is a Royal Guard which does not answer to the Central 46... at least back when there was a Central 46.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-02-09, 00:03   Link #7
Oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Nice! Now could someone please translate Onmitsu Kidou, Kidou Shuu and Keigun? Also, what are the 5 divisions under the Onmitsu Kidou called? (I think that the 13 squads of the Gotei 13 are obvious enough.)
I'd translate it as "Covert Operations" (Onmitsu Kidou), "Punishment Forces" (Keigun) and "Demonarts Users" (Kidou Shuu)*, though I'm sure someone else can come up with a more accurate/impressive sounding translation. The 5 divisons in the diagram are simply numbered from 1-5 (1st division, 2. ...).

*literally "Demonarts People". Maybe that's where Komamura came from?

Last edited by Oberon; 2006-02-09 at 00:16.
Old 2006-02-09, 00:39   Link #8
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

So there is a separate group of Kidou users who aren't part of Covert Ops or the Gotei 13? Interesting.

Old 2006-02-09, 01:09   Link #9
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Don't want to sound rude here, but I guess once the Soul Society is in REAL trouble next time, I bet somebody from the royal family and its circle will come and save the day. Atleast temporarily.
Old 2006-02-09, 01:17   Link #10
fierysky

hm...if shinigami can have kings then could Hollows as well? It would be interesting if they did.

Anyways, I read the official chinese version of the Bleach manga and the "imperial family" was indeed mentioned in my books. I don't know if this could be a translation error but they were mentioned. When the first Menos appears in volume 6 Rukia says something along the line, "Those (refering to the menos) are under the jurisdiction of the 王族 (the imperial family), no lone shinigami can go up against it."

So I don't think they just popped out of nowhere. Would someone like to check the japanese version? However it is an interesting thought that Ichigo may be a descendent. Or maybe the Hollow inside him has some relation? Or maybe Zangetsu?
Old 2006-02-09, 04:46   Link #11
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Royal Guards > Gotei 13?

Maybe in power level too?

A possibility to extend Bleach?
Old 2006-02-09, 05:46   Link #12
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
This was explained a long time ago in the anime. Did you just forgot it, or did you really miss it at the time?
Completely forgotten! Was it said what their duties and role are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Royal Guards > Gotei 13?

Maybe in power level too?

A possibility to extend Bleach?
Almost indubitably.

Old 2006-02-09, 07:03   Link #13
Novarain

Currently we know that of the 4 noble familites, there's the Kuchiki and Shihouin families right? I've read that Ohmaeda Marechiyo (2nd div VC) is also from a noble family on another website (though i need someone to verify that for me...). What about the Shiba family? i do think they might also be nobilily.... hell Soi Fong is also from a noble family so i'm really wondering how they define noble family...
Old 2006-02-09, 07:17   Link #14
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

It was specified that the Shiba Family used to be nobility before they fell from grace for unspecified reasons.

Soi Fong is not from a noble family. Her family serves the Shihouin family.

Old 2006-02-09, 10:24   Link #15
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwen Stx
XD Ooh...I haven't considered the idea that Ichigo might be the descendent of the missing King...
Spoiler for manga:
There are 4 clans amentioned Ukitake,Shinouin,Shiba and Kuchiki, dunno who is the 5 th one.Its definately Not Soi fong clan .The King of Seireirei is news to me
Old 2006-02-09, 11:32   Link #16
ccardoso
Banned

Spoiler for manga:
Old 2006-02-09, 11:34   Link #17
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
I'd translate it as "Covert Operations" (Onmitsu Kidou), "Punishment Forces" (Keigun) and "Demonarts Users" (Kidou Shuu)*, though I'm sure someone else can come up with a more accurate/impressive sounding translation. The 5 divisons in the diagram are simply numbered from 1-5 (1st division, 2. ...).

*literally "Demonarts People". Maybe that's where Komamura came from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa

Interesting thing about your translation is that it implies that there is a Royal Guard which does not answer to the Central 46... at least back when there was a Central 46.
This is the heirarchy after the king

Government

The Central 46 Chambers symbol.

The ultimate authority of shinigami are the Central 46 Chambers (中央四十六室 chūō yonjūroku shitsu). This is made up of 40 wise men and 6 judges. They are sealed into an enclave in Seireitei called seijōtōkyorin (清浄塔居林) and no one else may go enter it, regardless of their military or civilian status. The decisions of the 46 Chambers are final and may not be questioned by any person, regardless of status. In addition, all decisions by the 46 Chambers are carried out, even if they require the mobilization of the Gotei 13.

Army

The shinigami army is arranged into three corps: Gotei 13 (Thirteen Court Divisions), Demon Arts corps, and the Onmitsukidō (Covert/Special Ops corps).

*Demon Arts Corps (鬼道衆 kidōshū).

*Covert Ops Corps (隠密機動 onmitsukidō)

The Covert Ops, also called Special Ops and Secret Mobile Unit/Corps (the latter being the more accurate translation), has five divisions, the top-ranked one being the Executive Militia (刑軍 keigun).

Formerly headed by Yoruichi Shihouin, the current leader of the Covert Ops is Captain Soi Fong of the Gotei 13's 2nd Division. Little else is known about the Covert Ops' operations.The Covert Ops Corps is headed by a corps commander (軍団長 gundanchō), the real-life equivalent being Lieutenant-General.It is unknown how other ranks work in the corps, but like in Gotei 13, the leader of the corps generally also commands its top division, the Executive Militia. Unlike in the Gotei 13 however, the corps commander has several bodyguards.

*Gotei 13

(Kidō 鬼道

The demon arts are a type of combat or healing sorcery used by shinigami. Kidō spells are divided into two major groups: blast spells (破道 hadō), used for direct attack, and binding spells (縛道 bakudō), which are spells that restrain or involves restraining someone. To perform a kidō spell, one must call out the incantation for the spell, similar to releasing a zanpakutō. It is also possible to bypass the incantation for spells, as with the shikai release, however, each level gets successively harder. Even experienced captains cannot bypass a level 90 spell successfully.

Urahara and Byakuya are considered masters at this art

*This is one of 4 arts Aizen mentions has limitations (genkai) others are
-Hoho 歩法
-Zanjutsu 斬術
-Hakuda 白打 )

Sank u NoSanninWa for the image and sank u to you too kinny san for translation

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2006-02-10 at 11:39.
Old 2006-02-09, 12:44   Link #18
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

As I recall Rukia's generic unnamed executioners were probably the first ever Kidou Shuu shown in the series they were there specifically there only for lifting the seal on the execution Zanpakutou.
Old 2006-02-09, 14:34   Link #19
Oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_shinigami
This is the heirarchy after the king

[snip]
Thanks for the corrections and extended info. Somehow this gets me really excited as there is still so much to explore about the bleach universe. I'm looking forward to see how Kubo will (hopefully) weave all this stuff into the main storyline.
Old 2006-02-09, 15:07   Link #20
M4rauder

Renji mentioned earlier that Rukia was lucky that it was he and Byakuya that had come to collect her, and not the Keigun. I had been wondering for a long time how that group fit into the big picture!
Closed Thread