Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-07-12, 12:20   Link #81
Sides

Pen and paper. And sun cream/blocker.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 22:01   Link #82
Cipher

Definitely Toilet Bowl. Ever wondered where to put your wastes when you don't have one?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 14:18   Link #83
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

Sex after marriage is underrated... you mean sex within marriage only?
Hmm... depends on social and religious background to be honest. Atheists won't really care much and live off their own morals, so no actual 'rule' to wait for marriage, rather they'd base if off the concept.
I wouldn't say underrated in itself, rather religion which held a lot more power in society was a strong influence of enforcing that (no kids out of wedlock, be a virgin until marriage, etc)

But I will agree, being a virgin in your 20's is seriously underrated.
There are far far more people out there who are and live their lives as normal, while keeping an eye out for someone special.
Or if it bugs them that much, then they actively seek out to date or join circles where they can meet a potential mate.
But for peeps in their 20's to go look at a rope and chair just cause they've never had a gf or sex, I find overrated sometimes.

Like chasing a butterfly and seeing it flutter away from you, rather than naturally letting it come your way.
Naturally improving your chances and creating more opportunities for you to be able to meet that special someone is vital, but in the meantime, while you're young, single and not tied down with too many responsibilities, see the world, live life, have fun.
Are yout trying to reassure yourself on this matter or something alike?

I see your point but question the ability of people to actually know what they search and their ability to live in an ever exciting harmony that is based on a fundamental illusion of ideal love and one's own ego (or whatever television teached them). Now that was the sarcastic realist speaking. The optimist in me fully acknowledges your statement - but for different reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
American cars. Everyone complains about how they're unreliable, crappy, boring etc but that is simply not true anymore, American cars are probably on the whole more reliable than European cars and just as reliable as Japanese cars, and you can get American cars for less money now.
Now you just need to convince all the people in the US of this. I generally find such statements amusing because it doesn't differentiate brands.

Quote:
Nuclear Energy - probably the only thing that can significantly curb our greenhouse gases
I think I can agree with that, since a global nuclear winter will definitly solve the green house gas problem once and for all (now we just need someone to start to release all that nuclear energy thats stored in a fission bomb. If it is placed right, it will cause a giant chain reaction - aka world war - that leads to the ultimate goal of zero emission). Sorry, I couldn't resist the black humor.

Quote:
Diesel - So much better than hybrids, better fuel economy (if they would actually bring the diesel engines they use in europe to the US) for less money with a much smaller carbon footprint. Does anyone actually realize how dirty it is to make all the batteries that go into a hybrid? Anyone who replaces their car with a hybrid 'to help the environment' is an idiot who doesn't know anything about where the main sources of pollution come from.
In all honesty. Just because todays hybrids use batteries that are very bad for the environment doesn't make it exactly a valid argument against hybrid technology. Its just not so clean at the moment.
The rather fine grained soot particulates of modern diesels is not exactly healthy either. The carbon foot print is a different matter though... the problem is not that we use carbon based fuels. The problem is, that we waste energy bound in carbon based fuels that were created in earth ages, in a felt nanosecond (when compared to the time span that covers the geological past of the earth).

It is important that we become COx/CHx grid neutral (using only so much carbon based fuel as is produced - out of COx/CHx and other stuff + energy - in the time it is consumed). Of'course it is a good start to use only the most effective devices to burn such fuels... though I would not reduce this to a diesel vs. hybrid debate. In fact a mix of both would be nice, maybe using short term energy storages like large capacitors (that are environmentally more sound) + diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Nuclear waste - because real giant monsters fighting over Tokyo can't happen soon enough.
Now that would be entertaining JDF vs. giant monster. But the natural radiation of the earth did not manage to create such a beam spitting giant monster in millions of years. I guess that means the JDF will have to concentrate on north korea instead. They have some propaganda spitting monsters sitting on some nasty weapons there.

Quote:
Nuclear waste is a massively small issue compared to global warming. Technology is on the way that would allow the vast majority of nuclear waste to be recycled into more fuel, the problem is that we're putting almost no money into nuclear energy research, instead we're wasting it on things like wind and solar which are decades away from being able to provide and significant amount of energy. In the meantime Nuclear is a reliable proven source of clean power that we have not been exploiting. No new nuclear power plants have been built since Three Mile Island yet we continue to build ridicoulsy dirty coal powerplants, and despite the propaganda there is no such thing as 'clean coal'
You did not mention all that propaganda about clean nuclear technology. And how the recycling produces waste as well - aka depleted uranium. Okay certain countries know a convenient way to get rid of small amounts of depleted uranium in costly wars, but lets not forget the myth of the undersubsidized nuclear energy sector over this, which can only be dwarfed by the myth of the undersubsidized military sector imo.
Still my scientific curiosity makes me all excited about JET. I guess I just wanted to counterballance your arguments?
Old 2009-07-21, 23:59   Link #84
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

Fireflies, Korean food/cinema, Laphroaig, American lit, and country music.
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 02:12   Link #85
BanishingBook

Right now, World War II for me.
BanishingBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 07:56   Link #86
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique
Sex after marriage is underrated... you mean sex within marriage only?
Hmm... depends on social and religious background to be honest. Atheists won't really care much and live off their own morals, so no actual 'rule' to wait for marriage, rather they'd base if off the concept.
I wouldn't say underrated in itself, rather religion which held a lot more power in society was a strong influence of enforcing that (no kids out of wedlock, be a virgin until marriage, etc)

But I will agree, being a virgin in your 20's is seriously underrated.
There are far far more people out there who are and live their lives as normal, while keeping an eye out for someone special.
Or if it bugs them that much, then they actively seek out to date or join circles where they can meet a potential mate.
But for peeps in their 20's to go look at a rope and chair just cause they've never had a gf or sex, I find overrated sometimes.

Like chasing a butterfly and seeing it flutter away from you, rather than naturally letting it come your way.
Naturally improving your chances and creating more opportunities for you to be able to meet that special someone is vital, but in the meantime, while you're young, single and not tied down with too many responsibilities, see the world, live life, have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Are yout trying to reassure yourself on this matter or something alike?

I see your point but question the ability of people to actually know what they search and their ability to live in an ever exciting harmony that is based on a fundamental illusion of ideal love and one's own ego (or whatever television teached them). Now that was the sarcastic realist speaking. The optimist in me fully acknowledges your statement - but for different reasons
Not so much a reassurance but statement of annoyance of this "pressure" to be married and have kids by the age of 30 and if you've not had sex by 18, you're a loser.
And so many other random, lame ass social ideals that just happen to be out there that bite into people for something as complex as finding the right partner for you, ideally for life.
Rather than emotionally running yourself to the ground by stressing and freaking out and singing the 'I'm so rwoney' tune until the cows come home, there's you know... Life to be lived. Things to do for yourself.
If it bugs a person that much, then they'd join the dating scene, online or offline but then again, I've seen it become this weird obsession that just makes the searches futile, compared to people who find their loves in their mid/late 20's by simply living and expericing things and being open to society or people and become happy.
(Hence the butterfly analogy)

Another aspect I guess which could be stated as underrated is the amount of work it takes to keep a serious relationship healthy and well to last for at least 3 years.
Honeymoon period is great and all when you just have a gf or bf and it's lovely duvvy, but sometimes I hear things that make me think:
How long's this gonna last then...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 07:57   Link #87
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

On sexual issues, virginity. Definitely.
Old 2009-07-24, 08:05   Link #88
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Cookies.
Old 2009-07-24, 19:48   Link #89
Tr3adst0ne
Rogue Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hs Vi Germania View Post
Cookies.
Cookies aren't underrated, especially when it comes to white chocolate raspberry and Oreos.
Tr3adst0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 22:41   Link #90
Explicit
Jag föstår

Send a message via MSN to Explicit
Yellow cake.
Explicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 06:29   Link #91
Gin
*Artist

Waffles... I fucking love waffles.
Also pancakes.
Old 2009-07-25, 16:43   Link #92
Impostor

Send a message via MSN to Impostor
Good music is underrated.
Impostor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 10:56   Link #93
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Small amounts of joy and happiness we tend to overlook over big things . The little things, those small things that pass by us by which go without getting acknowledged or appreciated . These small amounts of joy are the true secret to happiness which are truly under-rated .

Few examples of what I am talking about

- Waking up at dawn having coffee and smokes seeing the sun rise over the stars

- Listening to your favorite song on the radio while off to work / School
Old 2009-07-26, 14:33   Link #94
LithiumHelios
Custom User Title

Send a message via MSN to LithiumHelios
This kind of question has plenty of decent replies, many of which I'd agree to but for me...

The universe, certainly from the more fundamental laws perspective. I'm biased but I sometimes think that people don't truly appreciate just how amazing the universe and everything in it can really be. Sounds a little cheesy, sure, but I just find it extraordinarily beautiful. (I do talk about other things, honest! It's just a coincidence that the small handful of my posts have probably ended up being related in some way...)
LithiumHelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 16:18   Link #95
Lil' Wayne

Christianity. Although I'm not actually a believer, no Christian I know is a real 'extremist.' Just normal people. They don't protest or preach. In fact, they're all pro-choice, tolerant of sexuality, intelligent liberals, the furthest away from the stereotype you can imagine. What you're seeing on the news, and what you're seeing from the Westboro baptist church, and what you're reading on the Internet is not exactly mainstream. That's mid-western crazies giving normal people with their own beliefs a bad name. "Christian" doesn't always translate to "conservative douchebag."

Last edited by Lil' Wayne; 2009-07-27 at 17:23.
Lil' Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 21:17   Link #96
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumHelios View Post
This kind of question has plenty of decent replies, many of which I'd agree to but for me...

The universe, certainly from the more fundamental laws perspective. I'm biased but I sometimes think that people don't truly appreciate just how amazing the universe and everything in it can really be. Sounds a little cheesy, sure, but I just find it extraordinarily beautiful. (I do talk about other things, honest! It's just a coincidence that the small handful of my posts have probably ended up being related in some way...)
I can understand this, but even on a smaller scale, I get the impression that most people have zero idea how complicated and amazing even one cell in their body is, let alone an ecosystem or biosphere. Life is cool, majoring in bio is cool
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 21:23   Link #97
mg1942

Over head valve "pushrod" engines.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 23:41   Link #98
LostInSterio

permanent marriage. Divorce has been so overrated lately these days
LostInSterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 13:52   Link #99
LithiumHelios
Custom User Title

Send a message via MSN to LithiumHelios
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Tongue View Post
I can understand this, but even on a smaller scale, I get the impression that most people have zero idea how complicated and amazing even one cell in their body is, let alone an ecosystem or biosphere. Life is cool, majoring in bio is cool
I can appreciate this! Really is fantastic to study such topics isn't it Especially when you get to listen to some of the great communicators in science (such as Professor Robert Winston, in the UK at least) explain some of the topics in a way that just leaves you blown away.

Hope your major's going well!
LithiumHelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 00:38   Link #100
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

God Hand, very awesome game, hardly anyone knows about it X-play even said it was underrated i belive